gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:20:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys “Reunion” on Saturday?  (Read 13021 times)
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2020, 03:01:34 PM »

Elora on youtube has us covered:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ianPM0emP3o
Thanks for posting this.

I'm still processing this exchange in the comments section--

Just for my own sanity I’m going to choose to believe that was tongue-in-cheek. 

Check out his follow-up comments. He wasn't kidding!  Grin

(There must be a fairly small subset of people who know the BBs well enough to namecheck Bruce Johnston, yet consider John Stamos an original member.)

This guy was 100% tongue-in-cheek. Source: Am that guy.

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2020, 03:56:48 PM »

Thought Don Randi was better than Mike Love's Beach Boys!

Cook pork throughly
roffels
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2020, 05:03:41 PM »

I wish I had known about 2012, during the reunion tour. I feel like I missed out.

If it makes you feel any better, I made it to the 2012 tour after having seen Brian perform some years earlier. Now, I regret not seeing a show with Carl. There's always going to be a "I missed out" feeling
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 05:04:36 PM by roffels » Logged
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2020, 05:28:55 PM »

LOL Thumbs Up
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2020, 05:39:13 PM »

David Marks

https://youtu.be/tM9p7lYapgk
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2020, 06:18:46 PM »

Thanks for posting this.

(There must be a fairly small subset of people who know the BBs well enough to namecheck Bruce Johnston, yet consider John Stamos an original member.)

I knew it!! You post way too many rarities to have meant it.  LOL

I wish I had known about 2012, during the reunion tour. I feel like I missed out.

If it makes you feel any better, I made it to the 2012 tour after having seen Brian perform some years earlier. Now, I regret not seeing a show with Carl. There's always going to be a "I missed out" feeling

As someone who also missed out in 2012, this does help a tiny bit. At least I have a bunch of good Carl live recordings to listen to (I still listen to the butchered 2013 live album as it’s the closest for me to get to a C50 show.)
LavenderBlueMama
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2020, 09:39:19 PM »

I also listen to the reunion tour CD quite a bit, especially in the car.  My 11 yr old always comments that it sounds different & notices when they're singing in a different key than the original, like on Sounds Of Summer. I always say, "That's Grandpa Brian or Grandpa Mike, etc. singing now." Then I have to point out Young Brian, Carl etc. Now, whenever she's hears any nasal voice in any BB song, she says, "Is that Mike?" (I did not teach her that, she recognized it herself, after hearing Mike exaggerate the "When" in Be True To Your School, in concert.) I enjoy it, such as it is. Since I wasn't there, I have nothing to compare it to. I also watch all the concert DVDs I can find. I can at least pretend I was there, although I've had to stop dancing around the living room, as it REALLY upsets the dog. Apparently, my dance moves are so alarming, that they disrupt the natural order of things, causing her great distress. Sigh, at least she doesn't mind my singing.
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2020, 10:16:20 PM »

Thanks for posting this.

Well-played...
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2020, 11:19:01 PM »

Can’t always tell on the interwebs. I therefore take back what I (wildsmiley) said in response to your comment. Nothing mean, I just pointed out all the official Beach Boys members (somehow neglecting David because I was typing so fast, in a hurry).

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2020, 03:21:53 AM »

I also listen to the reunion tour CD quite a bit, especially in the car.  My 11 yr old always comments that it sounds different & notices when they're singing in a different key than the original, like on Sounds Of Summer. I always say, "That's Grandpa Brian or Grandpa Mike, etc. singing now." Then I have to point out Young Brian, Carl etc. Now, whenever she's hears any nasal voice in any BB song, she says, "Is that Mike?" (I did not teach her that, she recognized it herself, after hearing Mike exaggerate the "When" in Be True To Your School, in concert.) I enjoy it, such as it is. Since I wasn't there, I have nothing to compare it to. I also watch all the concert DVDs I can find. I can at least pretend I was there, although I've had to stop dancing around the living room, as it REALLY upsets the dog. Apparently, my dance moves are so alarming, that they disrupt the natural order of things, causing her great distress. Sigh, at least she doesn't mind my singing.

Since the live album was such a terrible job when it come sto mastering and mixing, maybe you'll like this even better:

https://www.npr.org/2012/06/13/154917913/the-beach-boys-in-concert

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2020, 10:09:33 AM »

If Mike hadn't played that despicable pro-hunting show, I'd say there would have been a much better chance for this to be a full reunion with all living members. Now I wouldn't bet on it. But who knows. Stranger things have happened.

I honestly don't see that being much of a deal breaker here. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
LavenderBlueMama
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2020, 11:53:27 AM »

Thanks Rocker! Had not seen this, which is why I love this place! Off to listen now...
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2020, 12:07:01 PM »

If Mike hadn't played that despicable pro-hunting show, I'd say there would have been a much better chance for this to be a full reunion with all living members. Now I wouldn't bet on it. But who knows. Stranger things have happened.

i'm sure that as soon as Al and Brian found out about the trophy hunter show, they said "that's it, no more reunions with the guys in the hats".
LavenderBlueMama
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2020, 01:24:08 PM »

Thanks Rocker! Had not seen this, which is why I love this place! Off to listen now...

Just listened, very nice! Thanks!

I thought it was interesting that they did Dance, Dance, Dance & Do You Wanna Dance on this one, which was not on the 2CD Live set that I have. Was there more than one version of the concert released, extended or something? Or did they change the set list often? (I defer to you experts for proper education, beyond what I have read. I am always amazed at how many of you have encyclopedic knowledge of every concert, recording, etc., So cool!) Anyway, Do You Wanna Dance caught my ear, because it's never really been my favorite song, but Brian was so strong on this one here, it sounded reminiscent of his younger voice to me.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2020, 02:08:56 PM »

Probably my favourite is this one from Japan.

https://m.mixcloud.com/sinlopez/the-beach-boys-2012-08-16-qvc-marine-field-chiba-japan/

The BBC Radio 2 is good to but doesn’t seem to be available online now. Fortunately I have it saved. They had a few weeks off prior to this one and it seemed to serve as a rehearsal for the main shows later that week.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01m9vpk

I still live in hope that someone can piece together a fan-mix of reasonably unprocessed songs from 2012 someday.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 02:11:57 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2020, 03:05:43 PM »

i'm sure that as soon as Al and Brian found out about the trophy hunter show, they said "that's it, no more reunions with the guys in the hats".

I think as soon as things got as ugly as they did, with Mike sitting idly by while Don Jr publicly humiliated his cousin without saying a word to pushback, it polluted the waters in ways that can't be quantified.

Does that mean the two of them will never set foot in a room together again? Who knows. Probably not.

It might mean that some nice things that the band might have done together just for the hell of it won't happen, because it was insulting and raised the bitterness to a new level. Remember that surprise SiriusXM  interview they all did a couple years ago? Nobody saw that coming. There must've been some peace happening behind the scenes, or at least fighting and bitterness had subsided and they just did it for the hell of it. Which I think is a good thing. I think things like that just won't happen now as a direct result of what happened in February. Maybe, possibly another reunion of some sort could happen but it won't be some little off the cuff thing like that. It would be a whole big fiasco with all sorts of rules and negotiated fine print if it were to happen at all.

I mean, for anyone who thinks that I am completely off-base here, do you think there's a single thing that Mike could do or say which would cause chances for a future reunion to be further diminished? Once again, in February, Mike not wanting to back down added the whole vibe of "nobody tells Mike Love what to do", which means it was probably a power grab first and foremost, not wanting to back down. At any cost. When somebody who is a known egomaniac power-hungry person to deal with creates more extreme examples of that behavior trait, does that make it *more* likely to have people want to collaborate/reunite with them? My guess would be no.

Maybe I'm wrong. But Mike being an epic dick on the level that he was is not going to *help* matters. At best, his behavior might be overlooked or ignored by Brian and Melinda, just brushed off as another wacky, egocentric, narcissistic action by that guy whose actions we could have expected would be that way.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 03:18:58 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2020, 03:40:33 PM »

I think as soon as things got as ugly as they did, with Mike sitting idly by while Don Jr publicly humiliated his cousin without saying a word to pushback, it polluted the waters in ways that can't be quantified.

When did Trump the Lesser (which is saying something as Trump Sr. is —- oh, nevermind) publicly humiliate Brian? I must’ve missed that.

roffels
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2020, 03:51:25 PM »

When did Trump the Lesser (which is saying something as Trump Sr. is —- oh, nevermind) publicly humiliate Brian? I must’ve missed that.

It was some tweet part promoting his book, part calling Brian a triggered Hollywood liberal.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2020, 04:12:10 PM »

This is (at least part of) it.  https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/481350-beach-boys-brian-wilson-asks-fans-to-boycott-concert-at-hunting
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: April 28, 2020, 06:37:12 PM »

Does that mean the two of them will never set foot in a room together again? Who knows. Probably not.

It might mean that some nice things that the band might have done together just for the hell of it won't happen, because it was insulting and raised the bitterness to a new level. Remember that surprise SiriusXM  interview they all did a couple years ago? Nobody saw that coming. There must've been some peace happening behind the scenes, or at least fighting and bitterness had subsided and they just did it for the hell of it. Which I think is a good thing. I think things like that just won't happen now as a direct result of what happened in February. Maybe, possibly another reunion of some sort could happen but it won't be some little off the cuff thing like that. It would be a whole big fiasco with all sorts of rules and negotiated fine print if it were to happen at all.

I mean, for anyone who thinks that I am completely off-base here, do you think there's a single thing that Mike could do or say which would cause chances for a future reunion to be further diminished? Once again, in February, Mike not wanting to back down added the whole vibe of "nobody tells Mike Love what to do", which means it was probably a power grab first and foremost, not wanting to back down. At any cost. When somebody who is a known egomaniac power-hungry person to deal with creates more extreme examples of that behavior trait, does that make it *more* likely to have people want to collaborate/reunite with them? My guess would be no.

Maybe I'm wrong. But Mike being an epic dick on the level that he was is not going to *help* matters. At best, his behavior might be overlooked or ignored by Brian and Melinda, just brushed off as another wacky, egocentric, narcissistic action by that guy whose actions we could have expected would be that way.

Again, if you really think that Mike performing a one-off show that was deemed controversial (especially at this stage in his career) is somehow a world-shattering deal-breaker for any future reunions, you must have some serious selective memory here if you're going to discard all the stupid crap and squabbling the band has been through in their near 60-year tenure.  Mike has been in lawsuits with both Brian and Al on separate occasions, and yet they still managed to get it together (mostly) for the 50th and still have a pretty memorable year.  Yes Mike did a concert that caused some controversy.  Yes both Al and Brian expressed their dismay over it.  Yes Mike did the show anyway.  And you know what?  The world didn't end.  You must not have a lot of faith in the world's most dysfunctional family of rock if you think one crummy concert is gonna take 'em out and ruin things for good.   Wink    
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 06:38:43 PM by Awesoman » Logged

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 28, 2020, 06:49:42 PM »

Again, if you really think that Mike performing a one-off show that was deemed controversial (especially at this stage in his career) is somehow a world-shattering deal-breaker for any future reunions, you must have some serious selective memory here if you're going to discard all the stupid crap and squabbling the band has been through in their near 60-year tenure.  Mike has been in lawsuits with both Brian and Al on separate occasions, and yet they still managed to get it together (mostly) for the 50th and still have a pretty memorable year.  Yes Mike did a concert that caused some controversy.  Yes both Al and Brian expressed their dismay over it.  Yes Mike did the show anyway.  And you know what?  The world didn't end.  You must not have a lot of faith in the world's most dysfunctional family of rock if you think one crummy concert is gonna take 'em out and ruin things for good.   Wink    

I hear what you're saying. I just think that this time around is a little bit different because of the way the media ran with the story. It was a huge thing. It amplified what an insult it was. And in those other cases, perhaps the old adage "Time heals all wounds" applied to that, but in 2020 these guys aren't getting any younger. It was literally several years that elapsed before they were ready to work together again.

We shall see. If anything, I think that there might have been a chance for a little reunion in 2020 during this pandemic which didn't happen as a result of the February BS. maybe there will still be some bigger reunion for the 60th. I don't know.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 28, 2020, 08:42:01 PM »

Brian and Al are very forgiving guys.   They've each been subject of multiple lawsuits by ML, and yet let bygones be bygones and did the 50th anniversary tour with him.

If Brian and Al held grudges, there wouldn't have been a single joint appearance with Mike in the last 25 years.

If everyone is healthy and concerts aren't canceled by covid19, I can see group getting back together for a mini tour.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 11:56:59 PM by juggler » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2020, 01:42:28 AM »

Just listened, very nice! Thanks!

I thought it was interesting that they did Dance, Dance, Dance & Do You Wanna Dance on this one, which was not on the 2CD Live set that I have. Was there more than one version of the concert released, extended or something? Or did they change the set list often? (I defer to you experts for proper education, beyond what I have read. I am always amazed at how many of you have encyclopedic knowledge of every concert, recording, etc., So cool!) Anyway, Do You Wanna Dance caught my ear, because it's never really been my favorite song, but Brian was so strong on this one here, it sounded reminiscent of his younger voice to me.

You're welcome!
The live album actually features a lot of the songs they did play throughout the year. Generally, in the early shows the setlists were "save" with some rarities like "This whole world" thrown in, while the longer the tour went the more creative they became as Brian added "I just wasn't made for these times" "Marcella" "Heroes & villains" (the Smile version) to the list. There's a section on this board dedicated to concert reviews etc and there you'll find setlists and reports for each show they gave.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,12841.0.html

I believe there were three radio concerts the Boys did. Sirius, NPR and BBC2. It's possible that the Sirius show features a couple of performances from the NPR one or vice versa. I haven't checked but seem to remember something like that. The BBC show was just before the end of the tour and is really cool. IIRC there was also a japanese TV broadcast of a show. You can find more of that in the Pro Shot Concerts list (see my signature)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 01:43:16 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2020, 05:29:01 AM »

This is (at least part of) it.  https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/481350-beach-boys-brian-wilson-asks-fans-to-boycott-concert-at-hunting

😂 Calling Brian a part of the “Hollywood liberal elite” is hilarious. It’s pretty hard to get more apolitical than him. Melinda maybe, not Brian. At most he probably sees a lot of Murry or Landy in Trump.

As for hopes of reunion: on one hand, you never really know with this band family, on the other hand, after all this, I sincerely doubt Brian and Al want anything to do with Mike and Bruce again, professionally.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 05:32:54 AM by Summer_Days » Logged

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2020, 09:55:16 AM »

I hear what you're saying. I just think that this time around is a little bit different because of the way the media ran with the story. It was a huge thing. It amplified what an insult it was. And in those other cases, perhaps the old adage "Time heals all wounds" applied to that, but in 2020 these guys aren't getting any younger. It was literally several years that elapsed before they were ready to work together again.

We shall see. If anything, I think that there might have been a chance for a little reunion in 2020 during this pandemic which didn't happen as a result of the February BS. maybe there will still be some bigger reunion for the 60th. I don't know.

During their 50th reunion Bruce Johnston made headlines by calling Barrack Obama an "asshole".  It even made top billing on the Drudge Report.    LOL  David Marks and his wife made headlines in 2018 for a domestic dispute.  These might be different situations but the point is none of this has ultimately derailed.  We'll agree to disagree, but I truly believe you're making this a bigger deal than it actually was. 

Brian and Al are very forgiving guys.   They've each been subject of multiple lawsuits by ML, and yet let bygones be bygones and did the 50th anniversary tour with him.

If Brian and Al held grudges, there wouldn't have been a single joint appearance with Mike in the last 25 years.

If everyone is healthy and concerts aren't canceled by covid19, I can see group getting back together for a mini tour.

Exactly.  They've all been at each other's throats and things have been borderline hostile between them in the past.  After all, that's what they do best (at least second to making mostly great music).  That one-off concert that Mike did is hardly a blip in the radar when you look at all the dysfunction over the years.  Dare I say if you really think that concert did permanent damage to the group, you're probably influenced by your political leanings more than anything else.  Both Mike and Al have expressed interest in reuniting for their 60th.  If they end up not touring, there are more realistic factors to consider here (health, COVID-19, etc.) than one stupid concert. 

"Man, that Pet Sounds album was pretty good.  If only Mike hadn't performed in that icky concert--!"   LOL

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx