gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:21:32 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys “Reunion” on Saturday?  (Read 13016 times)
LavenderBlueMama
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2020, 05:36:01 PM »

Marilyn, Ginger, Rob & a pianist I didn't recognize (sorry) just sang California Feelin'.
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2020, 05:51:16 PM »

Marilyn, Ginger, Rob & a pianist I didn't recognize (sorry) just sang California Feelin'.

The pianist is Jeff Alan Ross (Ex Badfinger etc..) plays keys with Al on his storyteller gigs
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2020, 05:52:41 PM »

Damn. Bet that was great. Stepped away for about an hour.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2020, 07:30:33 PM »

Just watched about a half hour because the announcer was toying with "The Beach Boys" coming up...I know these are coming from a good place for a good cause, but these performances are rough. Good Gravy. These things are supposed to be uplifting.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2020, 07:51:42 PM »

Mike’s BBs just did good vibes with stamps. Nice but no reunion
LavenderBlueMama
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2020, 08:04:11 PM »

Was Bruce there? In one of the small windows on the left in the ball cap? The windows on my phone were tiny, so it was hard to tell. At first I thought it could be him, then I decided maybe not. Now I'm not sure. You'd think after hours of watching BB footage I'd recognize Bruce for heaven's sakes!
roffels
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2020, 08:06:54 PM »

Was Bruce there? In one of the small windows on the left in the ball cap? The windows on my phone were tiny, so it was hard to tell. At first I thought it could be him, then I decided maybe not. Now I'm not sure. You'd think after hours of watching BB footage I'd recognize Bruce for heaven's sakes!

Yeah, Bruce was there.

Elora on youtube has us covered:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ianPM0emP3o
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2020, 08:14:09 PM »

Sorry I wrote stamps but meant stamos on drums
LavenderBlueMama
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2020, 08:22:18 PM »

Thanks for the YouTube link. I can see it's him now, on my tablet. Watching multiple windows popping in & out to the beat of GV on my cell phone was a bit disconcerting. Fun to see, although I will always miss Brian, Al, & Dave. I wish I had known about 2012, during the reunion tour. I feel like I missed out.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2020, 08:29:49 PM »

Even though they were lip syncing to an alternate version of Mike's UTL Good Vibrations, with a Christian/Ike lead replacing Foskett.

With that said, what a cool video! Very well done. Really cool to see all the guys at their homes singing. Christian sounded great on the lead.

Nice to see everyone healthy- particularly Mike and Bruce.

So, that leaves the question--- was that the surprise? Was John Stamos being the drummer our surprise? Seeing his name in the list, I already predicted he'd be the drumming for the Boys.

This definitely brought a smile to my face. Despite the over processed vocals, the track sounds great, and still sounds fresh surrounded by other songs. Those harmonies!

Cool to see everyone (except Cowsill, hope he's ok) involved in the video. I love the way Totten ends the song with that guitar riff.

Still watching to see what "surprise" might be in stake... Not keeping my hopes too high
LavenderBlueMama
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2020, 08:31:48 PM »

Don Randi just played a keyboard medley that included BB songs & a Glen Campbell song. Nice to see him.
LavenderBlueMama
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2020, 08:40:38 PM »

I too am holding out a glimmer of hope for a surprise. Stamos is fine, but I'd venture a guess that his appearing with the BB is no longer a surprise to anyone.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2020, 08:46:16 PM »

Thanks for posting this.

I'm still processing this exchange in the comments section--

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2020, 09:06:14 PM »

Has anyone seen David Marks yet?
LavenderBlueMama
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2020, 09:35:35 PM »

Lol, on comments section. My friend, who is 11 years older than I am (& therefore 11 years closer in age to the BBs themselves), thought Stamos was a member as well, based solely on the Full House episode she watched in the 80s. I can't fault her too much. Until 2 years ago, when I became obsessed & fell down the rabbit hole, I knew nothing of them individually either. Just some guys in striped shirts, before my time, singing cool harmonies. Now I say, sacrilege! Head hung in shame... humming a medley of Kiss Me Baby, Surf's Up, Caroline, No & Monkey's Uncle.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2020, 09:58:31 PM »

David Marks was on much later in the show doing "Food Fare" updated for our times, followed by Stevie Kalinich. (I finally got back in.)

Thanks for the YouTube link. I did like that M&B were introduced as "Mike Love and the Beach Boys Band" on the show.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 10:00:59 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2020, 09:58:40 PM »

Thanks for posting this.

Just for my own sanity I’m going to choose to believe that was tongue-in-cheek.  

You know, I can tolerate Stamos in almost any other setting. I  actually really liked him on the vastly underrated Scream Queens.  But as soon as I see him in a BB context I just want to punch him in the face.  He just looks like he thinks he’s the bomb and it drives me absolutely crazy.  It’s like, you are NOT a beach boy and you’re actually associated with the very crappiest parts of BB-dom. 

And with that out of my system, I think they sounded pretty good.  Christian Love looks so much like Mike here it’s incredible.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 10:11:54 PM by marcella27 » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2020, 10:41:08 PM »

Lol, on comments section. My friend, who is 11 years older than I am (& therefore 11 years closer in age to the BBs themselves), thought Stamos was a member as well, based solely on the Full House episode she watched in the 80s. I can't fault her too much. Until 2 years ago, when I became obsessed & fell down the rabbit hole, I knew nothing of them individually either. Just some guys in striped shirts, before my time, singing cool harmonies. Now I say, sacrilege! Head hung in shame... humming a medley of Kiss Me Baby, Surf's Up, Caroline, No & Monkey's Uncle.

The Monkey's Uncle Jesse
LavenderBlueMama
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2020, 11:25:19 PM »

Ah yes, Uncle Jesse, Aunt Becky... who would have guessed where life would lead them?
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2020, 11:32:05 PM »

You know, I can tolerate Stamos in almost any other setting. I  actually really liked him on the vastly underrated Scream Queens.  But as soon as I see him in a BB context I just want to punch him in the face.  He just looks like he thinks he’s the bomb and it drives me absolutely crazy.  It’s like, you are NOT a beach boy and you’re actually associated with the very crappiest parts of BB-dom.  

I can’t entirely fault anyone who is a Beach Boys fan but my biggest problem with Stamos is that he started to think of himself as a Beach Boy and as a spiritual replacement for Dennis, with his looks and playing the drums. But of course Dennis is irreplaceable. His indomitable Beach Boy spirit and his soulful, beautiful songs belong to only one man really: himself.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2020, 12:08:20 AM »

My favorite Stamos/Beach Boys moment is in the 1990 Hotel tape with Brian, Bruce and Jeff Foskett.  That's such a fun jam, and it's pretty funny when Brian pauses at various points to critique Stamos' vocals.

With that said, I can count my favorite Stamos/Beach Boys moments on one hand and have approximately four fingers to spare.

LavenderBlueMama
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2020, 06:18:29 AM »

Did anyone make it through the end? And was there a surprise? I tried, but finally gave up at 1:40 am CT, when there seemed to be no end in sight. I heard Rob's song, nice. David Marks, nice. I heard the moderator hint about Wilson Philipps coming up, & waited through several more performances, but my eyes wouldn't stay open, despite my determination, fueled by waning hope.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2020, 06:33:54 AM »

Thanks for posting this.

Just for my own sanity I’m going to choose to believe that was tongue-in-cheek.  

Check out his follow-up comments. He wasn't kidding!  Grin

(There must be a fairly small subset of people who know the BBs well enough to namecheck Bruce Johnston, yet consider John Stamos an original member.)

NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2020, 07:15:32 AM »

The commenter who said Stamos is a Beach Boy is being sarcastic. He's a big fan, very knowledgeable guy.

Have to admit, I'm a little confused as to what our "surprise" was.

Mike, Bruce, Stamos and the gang doing Good Vibrations is exactly what I would have expected.

The Honeys singing California Feeling was gorgeous, but I don't think that was intended to be a surprise, as it was advertised that they'd be playing.

If there was no mention of a surprise, I'd probably be feeling great about last night- getting to see Mike's band, David Marks and The Honeys sing. But given that we were teased with a "surprise" specifically for BBs fans, I feel a little confused/underwhelmed.

But I know that's definitely a very small problem in the grand scheme of things. People are sick and dying, so I shouldn't be upset about something like this.

Although I'm sure I'm not the only one who watched hours upon hours of drek, waiting for our surprise. I have to admit, compared to a lot of the shaky performances before them, the Boys sounded great and the video was very well done.

Very reassuring to see Mike, Bruce and the guys are healthy.

I could complain about little details (lip syncing, no "surprise) but at the end of the day, we witnessed a very cool thing. The Beach Boys still spreading Good Vibrations, for a good cause, in 2020.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2020, 11:43:34 AM »

Haven’t watched any of the clips yet, but nice to hear that David Marks is back at it.

And I would like to believe that the commenter was joking because he’s posted a bunch of rarities.

Thanks for the YouTube link. I can see it's him now, on my tablet. Watching multiple windows popping in & out to the beat of GV on my cell phone was a bit disconcerting. Fun to see, although I will always miss Brian, Al, & Dave. I wish I had known about 2012, during the reunion tour. I feel like I missed out.

Me too. Definitely feel like I missed out.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 11:51:12 AM by All Summer Long » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx