gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:45:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys “Reunion” on Saturday?  (Read 13017 times)
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 23, 2020, 08:35:19 AM »

Is there potential for all 5 to get together?

https://esquarterly.com/2020/04/22/good-vibrations-coming-to-all-together-now-event-benefitting-the-los-angeles-emergency-covid-19-fund/

The “All Together Now” event will be a streaming online concert that is looking to raise funds to support families and small businesses in the Los Angeles area who have been impacted by the global pandemic.

In support of the event, Mike Love, along with David Marks, and many of The Beach Boys band members, including Christian Love, will be making an appearance. Although not confirmed, there is a pretty strong chance fans of the group will be greeted with a nice surprise or two!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 09:57:16 AM »

Probably more along these lines:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBfVCMgQOMM

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 09:59:05 AM »

Given the fact that we're already told how many BBs related people are involved- Mike and David, plus a plethora of touring musicians and The Honeys, leaves a lot to be wondered.

I'm surprised Bruce isn't along for the ride so they could call themselves The Beach Boys. Not to say Mike couldn't go out as The BBs with Dave and without Bruce, but it's just interesting to see Mike go at it solo with his name. Maybe because of the facetime medium. But he hasn't done that in a few years.

Do I think all core members will reunite for this? Probably not. But man, given that we already know, it's hard to imagine exactly what the surprise would be.

Perhaps it's all listed BBs related members playing together? Could that, in itself, be the surprise?

Either way, I'm looking forward to watching. Cool to see them all involved with a positive cause.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 10:01:25 AM by NateRuvin » Logged
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 10:45:12 AM »

Not that they asked for suggestions, but I'd love to see a rendition of "In My Room" with Brian, Mike, Al, David & Bruce performing together but each from his own home.  It'd be 2020 perfect.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 11:16:38 AM »

That's a lot of Zoom windows, but it could work. The Rolling Stones performed that way last week.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 11:18:04 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 12:12:17 PM »

If Mike hadn't played that despicable pro-hunting show, I'd say there would have been a much better chance for this to be a full reunion with all living members. Now I wouldn't bet on it. But who knows. Stranger things have happened.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2020, 12:58:22 PM »

Not that they asked for suggestions, but I'd love to see a rendition of "In My Room" with Brian, Mike, Al, David & Bruce performing together but each from his own home.  It'd be 2020 perfect.

THIS. Smiley

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2020, 05:12:11 PM »

THIS. Smiley

I agree. It's sort of seems like a no brainer. It would be a damn shame if Brian wasn't part of this, considering the song is so specifically his baby.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2020, 09:35:13 AM »

Oh, yeah, and please Zoom in Maureen Love on harp, too.   Grin
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2020, 11:18:31 AM »

And if Matt Jardine is feeling better, we have a falsetto singer.
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2020, 11:40:49 AM »

I feel like if something like that was happening, they'd be dropping some pretty big hints to get viewership up.  No one else is listed in the full list of performers. 
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2020, 11:51:13 AM »

THIS. Smiley

Well, CCR did something similar a couple of years ago for a documentary, so it's not impossible. I highly doubt it, though.

If Mike hadn't played that despicable pro-hunting show, I'd say there would have been a much better chance for this to be a full reunion with all living members.

Maybe Mike will be joined by Trump jr. for "Surfin' Safari".

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2020, 03:15:53 PM »

Since it's all virtual these days, maybe they can invite the spirits of Carl and Dennis to attend, too.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2020, 03:20:13 PM »

I would think if they truly did a "reunion", even a virtual one as many bands/celebrities have been doing in the past month, they'd do something a bit more high profile (both for potentially some sort of charity and also for their own sake).

Mike has to be crawling up walls at this point. As it's unlikely he'll be doing any shows for months, possibly for the rest of the year, when was the last time he spent this much time *off* the road? That first half of 1977 when the band didn't tour? Even after the death of Dennis and Carl, he was back out on the road within a few months. I think they only waited a little over two months after Dennis's death to go back out on the road, and a look at the schedule shows Mike was gigging a week after Carl's death in February 1998 under the "California Beach Band" name.

And if this does go to the end of the year or longer, would this be the longest Mike has gone without a live gig since like 1961?

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2020, 10:17:35 PM »

Seems scammy and like nothing happened?
BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2020, 02:58:54 AM »

Unless you are in the future, that's probably because nothing has happened yet? It still 12 hours or so away until the broadcast starts.

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2020, 02:00:07 PM »

Anyone trying to watch? 5pm and nothing yet...
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2020, 02:06:38 PM »

Anyone trying to watch? 5pm and nothing yet...

https://player.cloud.wowza.com/hosted/bsjfv7y9/player.html
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2020, 02:07:05 PM »

It started about 5:03 on their website. Pretty weird so far...
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2020, 02:20:54 PM »

It sounds like this is several hours long. I'll check back in around 6pm...
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2020, 04:04:51 PM »

I've popped in about every half hour for a few minutes and haven't actually heard any music yet. Usually the same guy droning on...
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2020, 04:29:13 PM »

Unless you are in the future, that's probably because nothing has happened yet? It still 12 hours or so away until the broadcast starts.

Time/days mean very little right now and I was about 7 adult beverages in and saw that my phone said it was Saturday. Whoops. Cheesy
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2020, 04:39:13 PM »

I've been locked out of the stream, too many others trying to get in I guess.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2020, 04:58:58 PM »

Okay, at least there is music happening now. Watched at least about half a dozen so-so performances by what must be local amateur artists?
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2020, 04:59:51 PM »

Pretty lackluster so far. Most artists I have not heard of; many of the spots appear to have been pre-recorded

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx