gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680746 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 10:37:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys “Reunion” on Saturday?  (Read 13085 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: April 29, 2020, 02:29:20 PM »

Regardless of what fans think about it, I don't think the trophy hunting debacle would be a deciding factor in Al or Brian working or not working with Mike again. And I'm not judging Brian or Al on whatever they might think about it.

I found it all disgusting and had no problem with Brian and Al pointing out how awful doing the gig was. But I also never thought for one moment about boycotting the actual real Beach Boys in any way (meaning buying back catalog stuff, etc.).

Seriously, between what's been written/published and then the backroom stories that *aren't* mainstream public knowledge, I can say all of these guys have put aside far worse personal/interpersonal issues/events/slights/grudges in the past.

Read what Mike's mid-2000s "Smile" lawsuit said not just about Brian, but about *Al*. If Brian and Al were subsequently willing to work with Mike after that for C50, I don't think the trophy hunting thing would keep them from doing it now. A million other roadblocks exist. But I wouldn't be surprised if Mike was and is more pissed about Brian and Al signing that petition than Brian or Al were or are about Mike doing the gig!

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 29, 2020, 03:01:06 PM »

Regardless of what fans think about it, I don't think the trophy hunting debacle would be a deciding factor in Al or Brian working or not working with Mike again. And I'm not judging Brian or Al on whatever they might think about it.

I found it all disgusting and had no problem with Brian and Al pointing out how awful doing the gig was. But I also never thought for one moment about boycotting the actual real Beach Boys in any way (meaning buying back catalog stuff, etc.).

Seriously, between what's been written/published and then the backroom stories that *aren't* mainstream public knowledge, I can say all of these guys have put aside far worse personal/interpersonal issues/events/slights/grudges in the past.

Read what Mike's mid-2000s "Smile" lawsuit said not just about Brian, but about *Al*. If Brian and Al were subsequently willing to work with Mike after that for C50, I don't think the trophy hunting thing would keep them from doing it now. A million other roadblocks exist. But I wouldn't be surprised if Mike was and is more pissed about Brian and Al signing that petition than Brian or Al were or are about Mike doing the gig!

^^^ This.  100%.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2020, 04:47:32 PM »

I hear what you're saying. I just think that this time around is a little bit different because of the way the media ran with the story. It was a huge thing. It amplified what an insult it was. And in those other cases, perhaps the old adage "Time heals all wounds" applied to that, but in 2020 these guys aren't getting any younger. It was literally several years that elapsed before they were ready to work together again.

We shall see. If anything, I think that there might have been a chance for a little reunion in 2020 during this pandemic which didn't happen as a result of the February BS. maybe there will still be some bigger reunion for the 60th. I don't know.

During their 50th reunion Bruce Johnston made headlines by calling Barrack Obama an "asshole".  It even made top billing on the Drudge Report.    LOL  David Marks and his wife made headlines in 2018 for a domestic dispute.  These might be different situations but the point is none of this has ultimately derailed.  We'll agree to disagree, but I truly believe you're making this a bigger deal than it actually was. 

Brian and Al are very forgiving guys.   They've each been subject of multiple lawsuits by ML, and yet let bygones be bygones and did the 50th anniversary tour with him.

If Brian and Al held grudges, there wouldn't have been a single joint appearance with Mike in the last 25 years.

If everyone is healthy and concerts aren't canceled by covid19, I can see group getting back together for a mini tour.

Exactly.  They've all been at each other's throats and things have been borderline hostile between them in the past.  After all, that's what they do best (at least second to making mostly great music).  That one-off concert that Mike did is hardly a blip in the radar when you look at all the dysfunction over the years.  Dare I say if you really think that concert did permanent damage to the group, you're probably influenced by your political leanings more than anything else.  Both Mike and Al have expressed interest in reuniting for their 60th.  If they end up not touring, there are more realistic factors to consider here (health, COVID-19, etc.) than one stupid concert. 

If Mike hadn't played that despicable pro-hunting show, I'd say there would have been a much better chance for this to be a full reunion with all living members. Now I wouldn't bet on it. But who knows. Stranger things have happened.

I honestly don't see that being much of a deal breaker here. 
i'm sure that as soon as Al and Brian found out about the trophy hunter show, they said "that's it, no more reunions with the guys in the hats".

"Man, that Pet Sounds album was pretty good.  If only Mike hadn't performed in that icky concert--!"   LOL
LOL LOL LOL
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx