gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:21:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rank BBs album closing tracks  (Read 3178 times)
The Nearest Faraway Place
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 17, 2020, 07:50:57 PM »

One of the most important things about an album, in my opinion, is the last track. It’s the lasting impression that the body of work gives you. So rank all the closing tracks from the 28 studio albums.
And before anyone mentions it, lets just put In the Back of My Mind as Today’s closing track
The Nearest Faraway Place
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 08:40:51 PM »

28: Forever 92: obvious reasons
27: It's Just a Matter of Time: yes, I know that Male Ego is the closing track for the majority of modern versions
26: Denny's Drums: Yep
25: Auld Lang Syne: great up until about 25 seconds
24: Custom Machine: its ok, but sounds more like car filler. A Young Man Is Gone would have been a much more satisfying conclusion.
23: The Shift: meh
22: Finders Keepers: this is just is kinda forgettable, just like the entire BSide of this album.
21: Boogie Woodie: actually is kinda awesome, just not as a closing track
20: Make It Big: yeah, not technically the closing... so what. It’s nice for what it is
19: Love Is a Woman: why did such an amazing album have to end this way
18: Transcendental Meditation: why did such an amazing album have to end this way
17: Endless Harmony: actually not bad, and if KTSA was there last album, it would have been extremely fitting. Or, atleast the last minute would be, the rest of this song switches from great to suck real quick.
16: Cabinessence: as a piece of music, and in the context of Smile, this song is a 10/10. As the 20/20 closing track, its just alright.
15: Winds of Change: this is a perfect ending for this album. Only this album though.
14: Mama Says: I love this. I would love it more if it was on Smiley Smile.
13: Barbara Ann: as a closing track, this sucks. But its actual awesomeness kind of overpowers that.
12: And Your Dream Comes True: This is beautiful, but I rarely listen to it.
11: Whistle In: I just wish this was another minute.
10: Don't Back Down: a great end to an album, and an amazing ending to the early surfing sound
9: Shortenin' Bread: yeah its weird, but I can’t help but love it
8: Funky Pretty: I just love this song
7: Cool, Cool Water: I still can’t decide if I like this or the 1967 version more.
6: In the Back of My Mind: I love Dennis’s voice on this. But it’s not as good as...
5: Cuddle Up: this does everything correctly. Warm fuzzy feelings, vulnerability, it just hits all the feels for me.
4: Summer's Gone: I’ll take Cuddle Up over this any day, but since this is most likely the last track of the last official BB album, I felt it was more important. But not as important as...
3: Caroline, No: I mean... everyone already knows. Even Caroline.
2: Just Once In My Life: this song is too good for this album. It’s to good for that decade. It’s just heartbreaking, especially right after the bridge, when Carl and Brian just belt out, “I CAN’T GIVE YOU THE WOooooooooooooooooooRLD!” This track is just perfect. But it’s nothing compared to...
1: Surf's Up: this song is just legendary, and I really don’t need to elaborate
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 10:19:15 PM »

Oh boy, this will be exhausting. Um..

28. Forever by Stamos (sickening)
27. Bull Session With Big Daddy (you have no idea how much I wish In The Back of My Mind was the closer, it’s only my third favorite Beach Boys song ever, but welp...)*
26. Denny’s Drums (I cannot really abide the clumsy filler tracks of the early days)
25. The Shift (not the worst on Surfin’ Safari, but pretty damn lame all the same)
24. Winds of Change (NyQuil in musical form. One dose will knock you out cold)
23. Make It Big (I count this as a closer because the older tunes were obviously not made for Still Cruisin’. Make it Big is pretty lame)
22. Boogie Woodie (drags the Surfer Girl album down, which is unforgivable)
21. Auld Lang Syne (like the vocals and Denny’s message but it’s something I virtually never listen to)
20. Finders Keepers (I vaguely like it)
19. Endless Harmony (half good)
18. Just Once In My Life (ehhhh)
17. Custom Machine (all right)
16. Transcendental Meditation (decent)
15. Love Is A Woman (pretty dang good)
14. Barbara Ann (good)
13. Whistle In (always have a soft spot for Brian’s musical fragments)
12. Mama Says (ditto. “Poof!”)
11. Shortenin’ Bread (more than a guilty pleasure)
10. It’s Just A Matter of Time (one of only five songs I dig on BB85, very endearing)
9. Don’t Back Down (bitchin’)
8. And Your Dream Comes True (damn fine)
7. Funky Pretty (great)
6. Cuddle Up (beautiful)
5. Summer’s Gone (so very lovely)
4. Cabinessence (unique and brilliant)
3. Cool, Cool Water (delightful)
2. Caroline, No (absolutely outstanding, the gorgeous, unforgettable closer to my all-time favorite album)
1. Surf’s Up (a stunning work of unparalleled genius)

*Edit: if I counted In The Back of My Mind as the closer of Today, I’d rank it at #1. But the OP asked me to rank the album closing TRACKS not songs, therefore....  Undecided
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 05:16:38 AM by Summer_Days » Logged

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Tord
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 02:32:26 AM »

27: Denny's Drums
26: Forever 92
25: Winds of Change
24: Shortenin' Bread
23: Just Once In My Life
22: Auld Lang Syne
21: Summer's Gone
20: Funky Pretty
19: The Shift
18: Boogie Woodie
17: It's Just a Matter of Time
16: Cuddle Up
15: Endless Harmony
14: Caroline, No
13: And Your Dream Comes True
12: Love Is a Woman
11: Mama Says
10: Whistle In
9:  Surf's Up
8:  Cool, Cool Water 
7:  Finders Keepers
6:  Transcendental Meditation
5:  Custom Machine
4:  Barbara Ann
3:  Don't Back Down 
2:  Cabinessence
1:  In the Back of My Mind
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 12:51:28 PM »

As I look at this list, I am struck by how many BB's albums do NOT end with an absolute killer track. That was something the Beatles always got right. It was something Bob Dylan always got right. There are a few exceptions here, of course...Caroline, No, Surf's Up, Cuddle Up...can I count Funky Pretty? I always play the EP after the album itself.
Compared to ...It's All Over Now, Baby Blue; Desolation Row; Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands; I'll Be Your Baby Tonight: Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You; Father of Night; Wedding Song; Buckets of Rain; Sara; Where Are You Tonight; When He Returns; Every Grain of Sand; Shooting Star; Highlands...dang, I just convinced myself.
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2020, 02:19:45 PM »

Well, at least there are a fair amount of Beach Boys albums that open with a killer track: Surfin’ Safari, Surfin’ USA, Surfer Girl, Fun, Fun, Fun (single version is better though), I Get Around, Do You Wanna Dance, Wouldn’t It Be Nice (the very best one, and my favorite song ever), Heroes and Villains, Wild Honey, Meant For You, Do It Again, Slip On Through, You Need a Mess of Help, Sail On Sailor, Let Us Go On This Way, Good Timin’, That’s Why God Made The Radio.
Not bad at all.

Doobidoo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2020, 08:07:03 AM »

In this list I combine the vibe I get what I both think of the song and how good it is an album closer.

EDIT: I think it would be great if we could move this post to the Poll-area...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Excellent album closers
1.   Funky pretty
2.   Just Once in My Life
3.   Cabinessence
4.   Surf’s Up
5.   Whistle in
6.   Caroline, No
7.   Cool, Cool Water
8.   Mama Says
9.   Shortenin’ Bread

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The “don’t-really-care-as-much-for”s and “whys”

10.   And Your Dreams Comes True
11.   Cuddle up (Seriously one of the most overrated songs that the boys have ever done. It’s cozy, it’s ok.
12.   Auld Lane Syne (I love Dennis voice over here)
13.   Bull Session (I LOVE the image that they see some space left on the LP, and fill it with some of the most filler-est wholesome filler)
14.   Male Ego
15.   Love is a Woman (WHY did they have to close this album out with THIS? I would love if they could’ve closed it up with the They’re Marchin Along demo)
16.   Don’t Back Down
17.   Barbara Ann (WHY?? Well. I do see why, but I tend to get so offput by this song. I love the boys’s party! Album otherwise)
18.   Boogie Woodie
19.   Endless Harmony
20.   Summer’s Gone
21.   Custom Machine
22.   Denny’s Drums
23.   Transcendental Meditation (Biggest WHY of ‘em all. I always have to jump out of my bed as soon I Hear the end of Diamond Head. Awful closer for an otherwise really -seriously- good album)
24.   Finders Keepers
25.   Forever
26.   Wind of Change
27.   The Shift

2: Just Once In My Life: this song is too good for this album. It’s to good for that decade. It’s just heartbreaking, especially right after the bridge, when Carl and Brian just belt out, “I CAN’T GIVE YOU THE WOooooooooooooooooooRLD!” This track is just perfect.

I TOTALLY agree! I get goosebumbs everytime at the "every pot of gold"
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 06:31:53 AM by Doobidoo » Logged

The mysterious 'uplifting version' of 'Til I Die: Finally revealed by Custom Machine!! www.smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,26114.msg640828.html#msg640828

www.lastfm.se/user/fehyv
www.lastfm.se/user/fehyv
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2020, 02:31:11 PM »

Well, at least there are a fair amount of Beach Boys albums that open with a killer track: Surfin’ Safari, Surfin’ USA, Surfer Girl, Fun, Fun, Fun (single version is better though), I Get Around, Do You Wanna Dance, Wouldn’t It Be Nice (the very best one, and my favorite song ever), Heroes and Villains, Wild Honey, Meant For You, Do It Again, Slip On Through, You Need a Mess of Help, Sail On Sailor, Let Us Go On This Way, Good Timin’, That’s Why God Made The Radio.
Not bad at all.
I think their album openers were always strong. You named just about all of them...I would add KTSA, and Getcha Back.
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2020, 02:46:49 PM »

Keepin’ The Summer Alive isn’t too shabby, but I’ve always been one of the very few that dislikes Getcha Back. It’s soulless, much like a great deal of that album, so I guess it’s pretty representative of it.
I’d have preferred it if BB85 had started with It’s Gettin’ Late, which is a really damn great song.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2020, 12:01:10 PM »

Keepin’ The Summer Alive isn’t too shabby, but I’ve always been one of the very few that dislikes Getcha Back. It’s soulless, much like a great deal of that album, so I guess it’s pretty representative of it.
I’d have preferred it if BB85 had started with It’s Gettin’ Late, which is a really damn great song.
Yeah, should have been a hit.
spgass
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2020, 02:42:09 PM »

I see Smile Sessions isn't considered a studio album but if it were and you ignore all the bonus tracks... I think Good Vibrations would be my favorite closing track.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2020, 08:15:56 AM »

In the Back of My Mind (Bull Session doesn't count), Caroline No and Funky Pretty are my favorite closers they did.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2020, 08:44:10 AM »

1. Cabinessence
2. Cool Cool Water
3. Caroline No
4. Surf's Up (but Wouldn't It Be Nice to Live Again would have been better)
5. Still I Dream of It (Adult Child)
6. And Your Dream Comes True
7. Funky Pretty
8. Whistle In
9. Don't Back Down
10. Mama Says
11. Transcendental Meditation

Other closing songs don't really stand out in any way for me as closers.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2020, 06:25:20 PM »

In the Back of My Mind (Bull Session doesn't count), Caroline No and Funky Pretty are my favorite closers they did.
But is Funky Pretty the closing track, or Mt. Vernon and Fairway? Do you guys play the ep after the album, or before it?
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2020, 09:46:26 PM »

But is Funky Pretty the closing track, or Mt. Vernon and Fairway? Do you guys play the ep after the album, or before it?

Neither. It's a separate record. Like George Harrison's Apple Jam or John Lennon's Live Jam. Which I think is really cool by the way - free bonus discs w/ unique sleeves and labels.

*Edit: if I counted In The Back of My Mind as the closer of Today, I’d rank it at #1. But the OP asked me to rank the album closing TRACKS not songs, therefore....  Undecided

Yeah, as easy as it is for me to dismiss "Bull Sessions" as an early bonus track when rating the album, technically it is the closing track.

As far as best closers go (in chronological order):

-Auld Lang Syne
-Barbara Ann
-Caroline, No
-Surf's Up
-Cuddle Up
-Summer's Gone

And, yes, I'd include "In The Back Of My Mind" if it were the closer.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 10:20:09 PM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2020, 01:07:33 AM »

Depends. On CD I tend to play Mt. Vernon and Fairway because I love it.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2020, 01:28:01 PM »

Depends. On CD I tend to play Mt. Vernon and Fairway because I love it.
I always play it after the proper album. And yes, I do always play it.
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2020, 05:38:39 PM »

I really love My. Vernon & Fairway, and always play it when I listen to Holland, but I think of it as separate from the album, its own thing. Therefore, Funky Pretty is the final track on the album, just as it was when the record was released in ‘73.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2020, 03:17:18 PM »

I really love My. Vernon & Fairway, and always play it when I listen to Holland, but I think of it as separate from the album, its own thing. Therefore, Funky Pretty is the final track on the album, just as it was when the record was released in ‘73.
[/quote
I think the album kind of has two endings; the false ending with Funky; and then the real - or imagined? - ending with Mt. Vernon.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx