gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680739 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 03:41:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dean filling in for Bruce, early 2000's?  (Read 1110 times)
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« on: April 16, 2020, 01:39:52 PM »

Did Dean Torrence fill in for Bruce sometime in the early 2000's when Bruce had surgery? I remember reading that years ago on this board and am very curious about this...

Do any pictures exist?

Did Dean take any of his leads (I know he sang lead on Sloop with J&D and since, so I can imagine him filling in for Bruce there) or take his spot in the harmony stack? Or was him filling in solely for credibility, more of a 'celebrity' replacement not so much a musician replacement?

Did Dean just sing, or play guitar as well?

Was he onstage for the entire show, or just make appearances throughout?  (like David Marks does)

All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 02:22:00 PM »

Okay, I couldn't find anything from a quick scouring of YouTube.  I'm going to speculate because I have no clue.

If so:
1. Maybe
2. I have no clue, but since M&B played Pasadena and Surf City, he would have probably taken his original falsetto parts on those. 
3. If so, probably unplugged as he usually does.  Based off videos from sitting-in once in 2016, he didn't, but that seems to be four songs only (and Bruce was there too).
4. I'm going to guess full show.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 02:53:45 PM »

I'd have to agree about him being unplugged. I don't think he's ever been audible on guitar, perhaps in the late 70's and early 80's when he was plugged in, but certainly not in the last 30(ish) years, where usually his guitar isn't even plugged in  LOL honestly, I think it's just part of his shtick, and like Brian and Bruce, doesn't have the frontman gene like Mike, and needs an instrument to not look/feel awkward. I've been singing onstage for years, and I'd feel naked without a guitar or piano, even if I wasn't playing something incredibly complicated or important- or even playing at all.

Those 2016 clips are pretty cool. It's fun to see Mike and Dean joking around. I wish Mike would still play Surf City, just to hear Bruce's falsetto in the chorus alone! Dean's vocals, even when he's not singing lead, add a layer of authenticity. Even though he's not the best singer in the world, his voice is so unique, and instantly recognizable. His falsetto can cut through the blend perfectly, and in his mid-range can fit right into the Beach Boy blend.

When I saw Dean in concert he sang everything from bass parts, to Al/Carl midrange harmonies, to lead falsetto. Falsetto probably 70% of the time, be it lead or in the harmonies. Compared to Brian and Al who need Foskett or Matt Jardine, and Bruce who only shows off his falsetto in the outro of the final song, I was astonished to hear Dean hit such high notes, with seemingly no effort at all. I'm talking "New Girl In School", "Sidewalk Surfin", top part of "Sloop John B", top line of the "Goood Good Goood Vibrations"... this was a man, in 2019, singing in his same falsetto voice that made him famous in 1959. It blew me away.

When I met the band after the show (Before Dean came) I was talking about how well Dean's voice has help up. Phillip Bardowell made a point to make sure I told that to Dean. Well I did, and sure enough, he lit up. He told me that he has to stay conscious of how much he sings, and take breaks, and warm up, etc... He was obviously being truthful, but to some degree, I also believe humble. He made it look too easy. His voice is an often overlooked, crucial, ingredient in the California Sound.

And before I get the people saying "Jan & Dean couldn't sing", well obviously they didn't have the perfect pitch of a Carl Wilson, but their voices were unique, and cut through a mix very well.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 06:25:36 PM »

Apparently yes. I believe Bruce had his surgery early September 2004 but was well enough for the UK shows early November, so 2 months worth of US shows approximately.

http://jananddean.moonfruit.com/dot-interview/4514825689

Ok then, final question - Do you plan to tour the UK in the future?” Dean replied “Well, we are under new management now, and I can’t really say. As a matter of fact I was supposed to be over there last November with The Beach Boys, as Bruce Johnston had had heart-surgery and I was taking his place.” I interrupted again “Oh!!!! I went to see The Beach Boys in Cardiff then! You should have come with them!” Dean replied “Well, once Bruce realised that the European part of the concert was coming up he quickly got better and made it. I did actually do a lot of the US shows on that tour though.” How unlucky was I and other Dean Torrence fans not to see Dean perform in the UK!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx