gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:50:02 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys 2012 50th Reunion - Later with Jools Holland  (Read 5410 times)
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« on: April 13, 2020, 07:15:45 AM »

A few years ago I got to go to a recording of Later with Jools Holland at the old BBC television centre in London. It was a great day and for me, my introduction to the BBs past the hits and Pet Sounds.

For anyone unaware of the format, the show features a selection of acts, old and new, positioned round a circular studio. Each band takes turns to play a song, then it switches to the next group in the circle while all the other bands stand and watch. Leading to the unusual situation of having the Beach Boys watching PiL or Muse while The XX look on. It's a real music fans show and I'd encourage people to watch it.

The show is recorded twice - there is a longer, prerecorded show that is filmed first, with retakes, edits and so on. After that is out of the way, they also do a fully live show (as in live TV) with the same guests, playing some of the same songs and maybe some different ones. These are then broadcast back to front (live first, prerecorded the following weekend).

Having a clearcut recently I discovered my backup of the video. I've edited it together and it plays as follows:

HD songs, prerecorded:
00:00 - Intro - Surfin USA instrumental
01:10 - Isn't It Time
05:17 - Interview round the piano
06:18 - Barbra Ann (feat. Brian piano solo!)
08:53 - That's Why God Made the Radio
12:08 - Heroes and Villains (keep watching past the credits!)
SD songs, live TV:
16:23 - Do It Again
19:18 - Interview round the piano (again! different interview for the live show)
20:35 - Barbra Ann (take 2 - Brian piano solo!)
23:09 - That's Why God Made the Radio (take 2)

So where's the video? That's the problem - after making a nice 1080 HD edit, I uploaded it to YouTube and immediately got a copyright strike and the video was pulled. Not just for one song, either.
Any suggestions of where it can be posted? Is there even any interest in 50th reunion shows?  Roll Eyes

In the meantime I'll try to gather my memories of just what it was like being stood next to Johnny Rotten and Brian Wilson and everything that went on that day...
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 07:18:16 AM by UEF » Logged
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 09:40:32 AM »

So where's the video? That's the problem - after making a nice 1080 HD edit, I uploaded it to YouTube and immediately got a copyright strike and the video was pulled. Not just for one song, either.
Any suggestions of where it can be posted? Is there even any interest in 50th reunion shows?  Roll Eyes

In the meantime I'll try to gather my memories of just what it was like being stood next to Johnny Rotten and Brian Wilson and everything that went on that day...

Yes I have A TON of interest in the reunion shows because I was unfortunately unable to see any of them, and all I really use is the 2013 live album.  As for where to upload it, maybe Dailymotion or Vimeo?  Or you could try a WeTransfer or Mega download link so it can't get pulled by anyone and we can all have our own copy?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 01:18:51 PM »

Oh man, I'd love to see more footage of the 2012 happening. Although there was the Sirius Radio interview, 2012 almost certainly is the last time the Beach Boys made music together.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 01:25:44 PM »

Oh man, I'd love to see more footage of the 2012 happening. Although there was the Sirius Radio interview, 2012 almost certainly is the last time the Beach Boys made music together.

Sadly.  I remember when it was announced we were all speculating maybe if we were lucky we'd get an acoustic "Surfer Girl."  Would have been nice and have needed only one extra singer at the most (Matt Jardiine or maybe Jeff Foskett).  Has the complete Sirius interview made the rounds?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 08:19:18 PM by All Summer Long » Logged
roffels
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 12:37:28 PM »

Sadly.  I remember when it was announced we were all speculating maybe if we were liucky we'd get an acoustic "Surfer Girl."  Would have been nice and have needed only one extra singer at the most (Matt Jardiine or maybe Jeff Foskett).  Has the complete Sirius interview made the rounds?

Are you aware of their acoustic performance for Rolling Stone? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu-bXvuPm7c
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 08:20:03 PM »

Sadly.  I remember when it was announced we were all speculating maybe if we were liucky we'd get an acoustic "Surfer Girl."  Would have been nice and have needed only one extra singer at the most (Matt Jardiine or maybe Jeff Foskett).  Has the complete Sirius interview made the rounds?

Are you aware of their acoustic performance for Rolling Stone? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu-bXvuPm7c

I thought I had only heard their acoustic version of “Surfin’ USA” but YouTube claims I’ve watched this before and clicked like. Well, I guess I’m watching it again. Thanks for the link!!
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2021, 11:30:20 AM »

So glad I saw them on the 50th reunion tour back in 2012. Right at the front, in London, at the Royal Albert Hall.  Cool Guy
FreakySmiley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2021, 06:35:27 AM »

Very late on this... But did OP ever upload this footage (or even just audio) to MEGA and/or Google Drive or something of that nature? Would love some sauce, as they say on the web.
DC310
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2023, 04:07:36 AM »

it sure would be great to see this!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx