gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:20:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Marcella  (Read 13838 times)
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2020, 09:04:51 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 08:23:12 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2020, 09:06:40 AM »

that type of processing tends to smother the character.

Title of my memoirs, incidentally.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2020, 07:00:26 PM »

Found the extracted vocal I did years ago! I’ll upload it later today 😎

I could try running it through Spleeter, too, for isolated vocals.  Let me know if interested.

I would like to hear it

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2020, 07:14:09 PM »

https://soundcloud.com/billy-castillo-2/marcella-beach-boys-song-extracted-tag/s-kyMf55TT961

It's not Carl. ...too thin

Edit Sound cloud deleted the link...one moment

Edit x2 still getting immediately deleted. I’ll find a new place to upload it.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 07:24:17 PM by ♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇 » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2020, 08:21:23 PM »

Billy, WeTransfer works pretty well for stuff like this.

Also, I want to tell all of you how much I love you  Wink and am enjoying this topic. I’m hearing more of these parts than I ever have, but still having a hard time hearing Bruce.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 08:21:53 PM by All Summer Long » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2020, 08:35:50 PM »

I’ll try it.

Oh and from hearing it, the doobie doobie doo doos are very clearly Al. I know at one point years ago people thought it was Brian.

Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2020, 08:54:27 PM »

When did the group do it during the 2012 tour? I don't remember it.

I think they started doing it after the Jason Fine piece on the 50th Anniversary tour in Rolling Stone - Fine captured Brian trying to convince Mike to put it in the set, and also badgering Scott Totten to put it in (ST: “we don’t know that song” BW: “my guys know it!”)

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2020, 12:10:02 AM »

I've always heard the "Marcella Heeeey" as Brian.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2020, 12:59:27 AM »

A thread (and a song) incredibly near & dear to my heart...

Salty--your listing sounds pretty right on to me, after 5,000+ listens to the track over the years (g-d it, to think it's been nearly half a century...Lord help us all!).

Just making sure of one thing: when you talk "chorus," you are talking about the "One arm over my shoulder/Sandals dance at my feet" section that ends "Oo Marcella so sweet," yes? You guys are hearing Al singing these lines (or some of them)? I'm hearing Carl, particularly on the "dance at my feet" (which has some of the same hard-ass inflection that's on display in "Mess of Help").

Can you break down the lines in the choruses a bit more to guide me toward hearing where Al is on these?

Billy, really want to hear that extracted track! Can you maybe find the same for "Mess of Help" again? Remember being amazed by that as well when it was available to hear.

My little six-song iTune set designed to blow away bad vibes ("in 20 minutes or less!") kicks off with three BB songs all worked on (if not exactly released) in '72: "Marcella," "SOS" (the most instrumental version with vocals only at the ned), and "Mess of Help." Better than any ingested/injected drug for returning to "precocious adolescent" sonic ecstasy...

The magnificently energetic intricacy of the vocal arrangements on Marcella: unquestioned. Who was responsible for 'em: less certain. Remembering reading a "progress report" in a music mag in January 1972 from critic Billy Altman who was apparently present at the BBs December sessions and whose preview blurb was "over the galaxy" about "Marcella"...but it also  strongly intimated that Brian was very involved in those sessions (or, should I say, at the "Marcella" sessions, at least). That entire period, with its result of swapping out Bruce and adding in Blondie/Ricky and the internecine intrigues with Rieley etal, is still in need of a lot more documentary detail.

One last observation/question: given the unmitigated awesomeness of the live version of "Marcella," why do you suppose that Warners didn't at least try to put it out as a 45? Or would it be still somehow be seen as "too un-BB" to work commercially? I'm still of the opinion that they screwed things up by leading with "Mess of Help" as the first 45 from SO TOUGH--the advance tag line could've been "We can't wait for June!" with "Marcella" bringing the BBs into a perfect moment of alignment with the past and the present. My admittedly outré love for "Mess of Help" does not blind me to the fact that it couldn't "help" but confuse folks who'd just connected with SURF'S UP--the first reaction to it at the time was "that's pretty good! ...wait/what, it's the BEACH BOYS?? (insert brakes and car crash sounds here)." While Jack is famous for that quote about how the BBs "blew it," they had a "mess of help" from WB in 1972...
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2020, 05:14:00 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 08:17:55 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2020, 05:25:11 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 08:17:24 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2020, 07:23:31 AM »

Salty--your listing sounds pretty right on to me, after 5,000+ listens to the track over the years (g-d it, to think it's been nearly half a century...Lord help us all!).

Just making sure of one thing: when you talk "chorus," you are talking about the "One arm over my shoulder/Sandals dance at my feet" section that ends "Oo Marcella so sweet," yes? You guys are hearing Al singing these lines (or some of them)? I'm hearing Carl, particularly on the "dance at my feet" (which has some of the same hard-ass inflection that's on display in "Mess of Help").

Can you break down the lines in the choruses a bit more to guide me toward hearing where Al is on these?

Yeah, that's the part I'm taking about. The main lead is a two-part harmony, Al on the top and Carl below: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AF_gRWCYDHcHUKs78eZ3E7mgYv-jgszX/view?usp=sharing

I think that's probably where you're hearing Carl's tone cut through. They did the same thing live.

Then on the other side (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qpABKqlHGKVSTL2Z9J2hcm7emzwtop7Y/view?usp=sharing) you've got Dennis singing a syncopated answer part with Carl bouncing off the end of each phrase:

One arm, one arm, over my shoulder (over my shoulder)
Sandals, that dance, dance at my feet (over and over)
Her eyes, those eyes, knock you right over (knock you right over)
Oo Mar, oo Marcella so sweet

I hear Mike doing his doo-wop bass thing too underneath the Dennis and Carl call and answer vocals.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2020, 07:26:03 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 08:17:16 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2020, 08:15:05 AM »

Then on the other side (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qpABKqlHGKVSTL2Z9J2hcm7emzwtop7Y/view?usp=sharing) you've got Dennis singing a syncopated answer part with Carl bouncing off the end of each phrase:

I've always heard this as two Dennises. Will have to listen again.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2020, 09:00:35 AM »

Yeah, that's the part I'm taking about. The main lead is a two-part harmony, Al on the top and Carl below: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AF_gRWCYDHcHUKs78eZ3E7mgYv-jgszX/view?usp=sharing

I think that's probably where you're hearing Carl's tone cut through. They did the same thing live.

Those extraction links are super awesome!

I'm realizing this was maybe Brian's last hurrah as a vocal arranger on a level that he was in his glory days. They really went all out on this one! Vocally with all the little tiny twists and turns, It's almost on the level of something from SMiLE. Not sure I can think of a later BBs example that is quite as detailed and intricate.

Maybe a few tracks on Love You come close.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 09:03:24 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2020, 10:13:34 AM »

Didn’t Carl do the vocal arrangements on this?
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2020, 05:31:40 PM »

Wasn't there either a 'fast' version, or a 'long' version (or both) out there on some bootleg? What was the source for those? Legit, or just someone fooling around?

Also, does anyone know if the Beatrice from Baltimore lyrics were recorded, even if only in demo form?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 05:51:30 PM by thetojo » Logged
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2020, 06:30:27 PM »

Definitely not one of my favorite songs ( I’m in the camp that thinks it’s too slow and plodding ) but this is one the best threads I’ve read on here in awhile ! Gave me some new appreciation of that song . Now who sang what on the C50 version 😂😂
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2020, 07:55:04 PM »

If so, it's surely the only time Carl did this kind of vocal arrangement - his others are more "conventional", if you will, and not really BW-like.
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2020, 07:58:24 PM »

I don’t find it slow at all, myself. Definitely a ‘70s Beach Boys favorite and it dukes it out with ‘All This Is That’ for the best track on Carl & The Passions.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2020, 06:36:26 PM »

Billy, really want to hear that extracted track! Can you maybe find the same for "Mess of Help" again? Remember being amazed by that as well when it was available to hear.

My little six-song iTune set designed to blow away bad vibes ("in 20 minutes or less!") kicks off with three BB songs all worked on (if not exactly released) in '72: "Marcella," "SOS" (the most instrumental version with vocals only at the ned), and "Mess of Help." Better than any ingested/injected drug for returning to "precocious adolescent" sonic ecstasy...

The magnificently energetic intricacy of the vocal arrangements on Marcella: unquestioned. Who was responsible for 'em: less certain. Remembering reading a "progress report" in a music mag in January 1972 from critic Billy Altman who was apparently present at the BBs December sessions and whose preview blurb was "over the galaxy" about "Marcella"...but it also  strongly intimated that Brian was very involved in those sessions (or, should I say, at the "Marcella" sessions, at least). That entire period, with its result of swapping out Bruce and adding in Blondie/Ricky and the internecine intrigues with Rieley etal, is still in need of a lot more documentary detail.

One last observation/question: given the unmitigated awesomeness of the live version of "Marcella," why do you suppose that Warners didn't at least try to put it out as a 45? Or would it be still somehow be seen as "too un-BB" to work commercially? I'm still of the opinion that they screwed things up by leading with "Mess of Help" as the first 45 from SO TOUGH--the advance tag line could've been "We can't wait for June!" with "Marcella" bringing the BBs into a perfect moment of alignment with the past and the present. My admittedly outré love for "Mess of Help" does not blind me to the fact that it couldn't "help" but confuse folks who'd just connected with SURF'S UP--the first reaction to it at the time was "that's pretty good! ...wait/what, it's the BEACH BOYS?? (insert brakes and car crash sounds here)." While Jack is famous for that quote about how the BBs "blew it," they had a "mess of help" from WB in 1972...
Brian said in his autobiography he was initially very involved in the Marcella session, IIRC.
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2020, 09:11:31 PM »

Probably like a number of other songs he was involved with the sessions from this era, Brian would’ve lost interest after a while, handing the duties over to Carl, while he moved on to something else. Or, who knows, maybe he was more focused and tuned in than that whilst recording it. The vocal tag arrangement has his fingerprints all over it.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2020, 02:56:23 PM »

I always believed that the chugging rhythm & somewhat slower (compared to live) tempo of this song could have been a result of Brian's heavy left hand on the piano.  I can easily hear Brian doing a piano demo & then Carl & the guys turning it into the full blown production that it became.  It was only natural to speed it up when performed live.  It became an easy choice to be an opening song for many shows when if was first put into set lists.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2020, 04:30:24 PM »

If so, it's surely the only time Carl did this kind of vocal arrangement - his others are more "conventional", if you will, and not really BW-like.

I feel I Can Hear Music, especially the a capella break, was pretty Brian-like. 
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 16, 2020, 12:21:04 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 08:17:09 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx