gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:37:06 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Marcella  (Read 13837 times)
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2020, 09:39:09 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 08:08:41 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2020, 09:52:08 AM »

So, back to who sings the "Marcella, hey" falsetto part in the tag - that seems to be the part that Billy hears as Brian, and that Jim V. thinks might be Ricky. To me, those both sound more likely than Carl - it just sounds too thin, or reedy, to be Carl's falsetto.
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2020, 10:07:37 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 08:08:00 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2020, 01:12:08 PM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 08:07:37 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2020, 04:32:33 PM »

Some years back I had messed around with the track in Adobe Audition. Sounded exactly like his other vocals on the album (brief as they were) and on the Spring album. I should still have it on my hard drive

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2020, 07:38:31 PM »

You guys are all much better than I at identifying voices, but the “Marcella hey” part on the album doesn’t sound like Carl to me.  However, I can’t figure out who it does sound like.  Are we sure it can’t be Ricky?  Listening to some of the live versions, I’m sure I can hear Ricky - not on that particular part, but rather on the harmony of the main “one arm over my shoulder” part.  And on the live versions, it DOES sound like Carl on the “Marcella hey” part. 
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2020, 08:18:22 PM »

(Bumping request for repost of the Marcella console tape because I can't find the thread it was in, pretty please?)

Found it...http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,25074.0.html
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2020, 05:30:36 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 08:07:15 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2020, 05:46:59 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 08:06:53 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2020, 07:49:36 AM »

So, from that 3-year old thread, we get this range of opinions on the falsetto "Marcella, hey" part in the tag:

ForHerCryingSoul agrees with Salty that it's Carl
Jim V. thinks it's Ricky
Jay says Ricky sang it live (EDIT: could it be he took over that part after Blondie left, i.e. the '74 performances?)
Billy C remembers Jack saying it was Brian
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 08:43:53 AM by c-man » Logged
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2020, 08:49:37 AM »

(Bumping request for repost of the Marcella console tape because I can't find the thread it was in, pretty please?)

Found it...http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,25074.0.html

Was hoping for the complete console tape but oh well Tongue

Sorry about that...forgot to look through Alan Boyd's posts, but I just tried and also can't find it.
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2020, 09:45:41 AM »

Well, this thread escalated quickly Wink

Lovely discussion, guys. I guess "my" version doesn't really fit the 1972 standard. Which is fine. I still think Marcella is a killer track. I do prefer the live version, though.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2020, 11:00:50 AM »

Well, this thread escalated quickly Wink

Lovely discussion, guys. I guess "my" version doesn't really fit the 1972 standard. Which is fine. I still think Marcella is a killer track. I do prefer the live version, though.

I like both yours and the original, SonicVolcano.

I'm struggling to hear what part of these sound like anyone other than Carl and Jack Rieley: https://drive.google.com/file/d/13ZhjQFe5T-OtAakiailasgPo35zOPfo6/view?usp=sharing

The nasally strain comes entirely from Rieley's lower harmony. Carl sounds like any other Carl vocal, clear as anything. There are no traces of either Brian or Ricky in this.

As for the live performance on In Concert, Al sings the harmony above Mike, same as the studio version. Blondie sings Carl's studio part (kept by Carl in the Carnegie Hall performance though) and I'm not sure who takes the lower Jack harmony because it's right down in the mix, probably either Carl or Ricky. And Dennis sings the answering lead similar to the two choruses (which is a second Mike in the studio fade).

Hey, I finally hear Jack Rieley's part.

For the unknown vocal, if it's not Carl, which I still agree with SaltyMarshmallow is very likely, could it be Billy Hinsche?  I don't know his voice a lot, but I know c-man says he is on a lot of the AFM's for this album.  Not that I know any of these voices well enough either, so this is probably a wild goose chase on my part: any chance on Marilyn or Diane singing slightly differently?  Or Tony Martin, Jr because he sings on Sail On, Sailor (around the same time frame)?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2020, 11:06:34 AM »

I doubt it's Billy, simply 'cause he's talked over the years about singing on "H&V" and "Darlin'", and playing harmonica on "Mountain Of Love" prior to those, but has never mentioned singing on "Marcella", which I suspect he would have had he done so.
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2020, 11:47:31 AM »

Based on the tracksheet notes from that other thread, I'm assuming each part refers to:

7 - tag MARCELLA = Mike coda response
11 - ONE ARM first chorus = Al and Carl chorus lead
12 - ONE ARM 2nd chorus = Dennis and Carl chorus response
13 - Mike Du Be Du Be Du Be = Mike chorus bass vocal
15 - Al extra = doobie doobie doo
16 - Mike and Al = Mike coda lead with Al's harmony
17 - Carl and Jack = Marcella hey / hey Marcella

Craig, are there any other clues on that? Is it 16-track or 24 with the '17' there? I'd really appreciate if you could dig out the whole thing, for instrumental reasons too.

Speaking of which, anyone else wonder if there's an edit into the tag? There's a pretty sudden change of instrumentation going into it with the electric piano being swapped for a grand, and the drums also seem to change. They remind me a lot of Brian's playing on Funky Pretty.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2020, 01:45:50 PM »

Considering Billy Hinsche is probably sitting at home with time on his hands and has been active with his Facebook gigs, has anyone with an account (never been interested myself) actually thought of just asking him?
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2020, 08:31:31 PM »

Considering Billy Hinsche is probably sitting at home with time on his hands and has been active with his Facebook gigs, has anyone with an account (never been interested myself) actually thought of just asking him?

True. On it.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2020, 08:40:46 PM »

Good idea. Does anybody know if Steve Moffit is still alive and can be reached concerning it, as (I think) he was the engineer on the track?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2020, 10:29:27 PM »

So, from that 3-year old thread, we get this range of opinions on the falsetto "Marcella, hey" part in the tag:

ForHerCryingSoul agrees with Salty that it's Carl
Jim V. thinks it's Ricky
Jay says Ricky sang it live (EDIT: could it be he took over that part after Blondie left, i.e. the '74 performances?)
Billy C remembers Jack saying it was Brian

Funny that I thought it was Ricky then. Don't remember writing that post. Anyways, anybody working on somehow finding out the truth of this matter (if that's even possible)?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2020, 08:13:14 AM »

Found the extracted vocal I did years ago! I’ll upload it later today 😎

Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2020, 08:34:06 AM »

Based on the tracksheet notes from that other thread, I'm assuming each part refers to:

I was listening to the song with my ear close to the speaker, and this sounds about right. It wasn’t until a few years ago that I noticed Al’s “shoobie doobie doo” part and now I’ve finally noticed Mike’s “du be du be” part which seems to underline Al’s bit. Man, one has to just appreciate the beautiful intricacy of these vocal parts, and that by 1972 that it wasn’t always Brian arranging them, but all the guys. There never has been a vocal group that can come close to The Beach Boys and there will likely never be any.

Question though: Blondie is heard during the chorus (sounds like him anyway), but I guess he’s absent from the tag?

« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 08:35:04 AM by Summer_Days » Logged

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2020, 08:37:58 AM »

Found the extracted vocal I did years ago! I’ll upload it later today 😎

I could try running it through Spleeter, too, for isolated vocals.  Let me know if interested.
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2020, 08:50:47 AM »

I already Spleeter'd it for the isolation I uploaded earlier, after cancelling out the centre channel in Audition. I only lowered the backing track elements 5db to highlight the vocals rather than completely solo them because that type of processing tends to smother the character.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2020, 08:58:33 AM »

Very well, then I shan't spleeter.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2020, 09:03:07 AM »

I was listening to the song with my ear close to the speaker, and this sounds about right. It wasn’t until a few years ago that I noticed Al’s “shoobie doobie doo” part and now I’ve finally noticed Mike’s “du be du be” part which seems to underline Al’s bit. Man, one has to just appreciate the beautiful intricacy of these vocal parts, and that by 1972 that it wasn’t always Brian arranging them, but all the guys. There never has been a vocal group that can come close to The Beach Boys and there will likely never be any.

Question though: Blondie is heard during the chorus (sounds like him anyway), but I guess he’s absent from the tag?

I really don't think Blondie is on this at all - if the chorus part you're referring to is the one I'm thinking of, it's either a second Dennis, or Carl.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx