Marcella

(1/17) > >>

SonicVolcano:
Marcella is one of my favourite tracks, but I think its rather slow pace doesn't do the song justice. I made this years ago and, to me, it sounds much better now (maybe a tad too fast):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enSFCmt1mog

What do you think? I also think it could have used a heavier guitar tone (like they did in the live versions). A very underrated track overall and one which could have been a big hit, IMHO.

kennyhasbeenfound:
I like your quick version, and have listened to it many times.  I DO wish that the album version was more like the live version- maybe if they had done it live for a while first, then recorded it?  I'm assuming it was the other way around.  Most people who have been around me when I play the live version really like it and are surprised.

marcella27:
I think the original album track is perfect, though I do love the live versions as well.  With all due respect, I think your sped-up version is a bit too poppy and takes a bit of the moody edge away from the song. 

This is THE song that led me down the path of becoming a deep, deep fan.  I still remember hearing it for the first time...and replaying it as soon as it was over.  And replaying it again!  The vocals in the end tag are among my very favorite BB musical moments ever. 

c-man:
I was waiting to see what marcella27 thought about the BBs' two versions of "Marcella"!  And I agree - the original studio version as released on album and single is perfect, IMO. Any heavier or faster, and it would have lacked that special BBs quality, and become yet another track from that album that people knock for not sounding enough like the BBs. As it is, it and "All This Is That" are really the only two tracks that feel like the BBs to most listeners (nothing wrong with the other tracks on that album - taken individually, they range from quite good to masterful - but they all lack that BBs "sound").

As for the harder rocking "live" version - they sound much more like the Rolling Stones than the BBs there. Nothing especially wrong with that, in a live concert setting. And Brian obviously prefers that arrangement these days, since that's the one he peforms in concert with his band (and on the 2012 BBs tour).

RubberSoul13:
I prefer the original groove of the recording BUT, I prefer the heavier guitar of the live track. I owned the live album before finding "So Tough", so that may have something to do with it...but I wish they could have just let Carl rip out a heavier guitar line, or Blondie. But, I feel that way about several Beach Boys tracks.  :lol

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page