gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:36:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A look inside Al Jardine's Red Barn  (Read 2799 times)
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2020, 10:44:53 AM »

https://youtu.be/DQzDwLAoQCw

Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 11:09:42 AM »

It is interesting that he posted this.  Larry Dvoskin's sound cloud page used to have a version of this song with Al singing, but it is no longer on this page.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 04:02:34 PM »

I heard the song on Larry's website and on Soundcloud and I loved it. I hope they finish the song and release it.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 04:07:07 PM »

Very cool -- thanks for the link!
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 02:00:20 PM »

Wish Al would release more music. He seems to tinker with songs endlessly. Maybe start a singles club or something. Six 45s in a year. That way there's a deadline.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 02:01:00 PM by Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll » Logged

Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2020, 11:51:19 AM »

Note to Mr Jardine, 'please leave the keys to the Barn under the front step , and I will gladly store your BB's Posters and Memorabilia at my home'  Grin
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2020, 12:03:57 PM »

Note to Mr Jardine, 'please leave the keys to the Barn under the front step , and I will gladly store your BB's Posters and Memorabilia at my home'  Grin

So great to see the white baby grand that Brian played onstage in the late '70s/early '80s still getting studio use in the Beach Boys' world.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2020, 12:09:54 PM »

Al at 2.30 with a glass of suds directing the band. We’ve all seen ‘that guy’ at any bar directing the jukebox. (can of Fosters at 3.10 as evidence) Beer  LOL
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 12:14:09 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2020, 12:57:36 PM »

So great to see the white baby grand that Brian played onstage in the late '70s/early '80s still getting studio use in the Beach Boys' world.

I wonder why the Beach Boys didn't make more use of Al's studio after they sold Brother Studio. I mean, this is a full functioning studio, isn't it? I could imagine Brian just stopping by whenever in the mood to record, Al can literally go there at any time of day. You can get a lot of material that way, I guess, and in the end you have a new Beach Boys album.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2020, 01:13:53 PM »

I wonder why the Beach Boys didn't make more use of Al's studio after they sold Brother Studio. I mean, this is a full functioning studio, isn't it? I could imagine Brian just stopping by whenever in the mood to record, Al can literally go there at any time of day. You can get a lot of material that way, I guess, and in the end you have a new Beach Boys album.

I'm sure it's something to do with location/proximity - Al's studio is in the Big Sur area near Monterey, in northern California. Quite a ways from the South Bay area of California where the other Beach Boys reside/resided. Sure, they all (except for Dennis) made the trek up there to record a few separate times over the years, but I'm sure that's the main reason they didn't/haven't done it more.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2020, 12:09:17 PM »

Right on the money.  Big Sur, while beautiful, is an out of the way place.
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2020, 03:50:51 PM »

Is that his studio in the our team documentary? It looks similar but maybe a diff studio?

Side note on YouTube the our team documentary is paired with footage of them in Belgium and the part where Carl is being interviewed and talked about Brian’s musical ability and the interviewer goes “wow Brian must have a good ear” and Carl laughs incredulously and goes “uh yeah he does” always makes me laugh
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 04:38:43 PM by Needleinthehay » Logged
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2020, 04:34:41 PM »

I always thought the our team video was filmed around the time of the MIUI album out in Iowa at Maharishi University.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2020, 10:17:03 PM »

I always thought the our team video was filmed around the time of the MIUI album out in Iowa at Maharishi University.

True dat.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx