gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:00:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kokomo: Robbie Robertson Went There First?  (Read 4699 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2020, 03:30:26 AM »

Re: Surfin' USA

We have the demo on "Hawthorne, CA" which features a couple of different lyrics iirc. Could it be that Mike made changes before the song was recorded? I believe Carl mentioned in the BBC Beach Boys special from '74 (?) that Mike contributed to the song. The story I always heard was that either Dennis or a friend of Brian's (both stories were told) made a list of surfing spots for Brian who then wrote the song.
Anyway, it led to this hilarious edit of Al/Mike in a '04 documentary:

https://youtu.be/TU0uMNx2hQY?t=574

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2020, 09:54:34 PM »

We have the demo on "Hawthorne, CA" which features a couple of different lyrics iirc. Could it be that Mike made changes before the song was recorded? I believe Carl mentioned in the BBC Beach Boys special from '74 (?) that Mike contributed to the song. The story I always heard was that either Dennis or a friend of Brian's (both stories were told) made a list of surfing spots for Brian who then wrote the song.

Mike has stated in other places that he did surf.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2020, 02:20:06 AM »

Mike has stated in other places that he did surf.

They all did try at one point according to Carl. But there's a difference between surf and being a surfer. And it's well known that Dennis was the only "real surfer". But that of course doesn't say anything about what happened with "Surfin' USA" as you don't have to be a surfer to write those lyrics, I guess, and I assume that's what you are saying.
Still, I think if Mike contributed to the lyrics, it seems most likely to me that he changed the demo-lyrics to the one of the master.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2020, 04:09:20 PM »

... and how the hell did Narrabeen make that list?
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx