gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:18:02 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Random question about Wake the World  (Read 2366 times)
The Nearest Faraway Place
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 26, 2020, 12:50:45 PM »

Whats the sound at 0:23? It sounds like someone scraping something, or moving a chair, or something. Is there any stories behind this sound? Was the sound intentional? Or just an accident that the microphone picked up. I thought it must just be an accident, but its at the front of the mix.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 12:53:14 PM by The Nearest Faraway Place » Logged
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 04:14:03 PM »

Sounds like Venetian blinds to me...which would be quite fitting!

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Doobidoo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 08:21:58 AM »

This one got asked in the random questions thread by me earlier... I copy some conclusions from there

In Wake The World, what is the sound that goes of at 0:24? It sounds a bit like when swords are drawn in movies, but I cant figure out what it is!

I asked that once, maybe in the early days of this board. As I recall, S. Desper said it was string noise. (I thought it sounded like something sliding across a music stand, e.g., a pen or pencil.) I still have my doubts.

This is what Reverend Joshua Sloane said about it 12 years ago: "To say that [BW] rushed recordings is false and too presumptuous for the info we have of the sessions. These sessions had engineers most of the time, an engineer wouldn't let obtrusive noises fly unless it was okay'd by the producer. The "curtain closing" noise in Wake The World is just too perfectly placed to be mistake. I bet that Brian was searching for a sound to imitate the pulling of curtains."

Source: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,1820.msg38083.html#msg38083

It makes perfect sense (to me anyway). Although perhaps it's more of a "curtain opening" noise.

As far as random noises and the notion of Brian "rushing" recordings, there was in the 60's a certain niche of recordings that deliberately left in studio noises, or suggested the feel of a live catch-all atmosphere on the records. It's a small niche that doesn't get discussed as much today as a sub-genre, but there were a bunch of hit records in the early 60's that were going for the vibe of capturing a house party or a frat party or whatever you want to call it. One of the biggest is of course Louie Louie, but there were also ones like Double Shot of My Baby's Love which sounds like a frat party singalong with random voices joining in to sing. It's a pretty cool sound. Definitely not clean and polished, but that was the vibe.

So factor that in when the topic of 'Beach Boys Party!' comes up, and it's a direct line of influence. Capture the vibe of a party singalong...Boom, there is the concept. But it was not a new concept.

Then factor in that Rubber Soul was released about a month after Party!, and on the US Capitol pressing that Brian would have heard, they put (against McCartney's wishes) a version of "I'm Looking Through You" that had McCartney blowing numerous takes before starting the actual tune...I can see where McCartney would be upset, but maybe to Brian's ears it lent more to his impression that the whole album was "a gas", as in the listener got to hear this audio verite kind of vibe where Paul had several false starts on a song. It felt perhaps more human, more real to leave that kind of thing in there rather than trim it. Whether Capitol did it without the band's approval is one thing, but Brian and others hearing that on a Beatles record could have sparked some inspiration.

And that's where I think some of the more stray sounds that showed up on Pet Sounds were left on Pet Sounds. We can argue all day about whether those sounds were an aesthetic choice, a matter-of-fact owing to the limitations of the technology, or Brian being sloppy and rushing a mix, but those found sounds and audio verite vibe does add something to the overall feel of those tracks. It inspired other artists to do the same thing.

You really, and I mean REALLY hear it come out on Smiley Smile, almost to a fault...yet, it had that same vibe as all those frat-house records from the early 60's, only with different methods of inebriation.  Grin

I think the subjects that you're bringing up from this question is really interesting. Wether the noise is intentional or not, I'm certain it's intentional. If you're listening closely, you can hear how they're "getting ready" for the sound the second before it comes. The explanation of curtains closing is the most reasonable one

The mysterious 'uplifting version' of 'Til I Die: Finally revealed by Custom Machine!! www.smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,26114.msg640828.html#msg640828

www.lastfm.se/user/fehyv
www.lastfm.se/user/fehyv
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 06:00:56 PM »

To me, it sounds like a pencil sliding off one of those old metal music stands. 
DeanEntwistle
Smiley Smile Associate

Hey! https://soundcloud.com/deanentwistletwo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 06:31:37 PM »

yeah, that "fx" sounds like some type of blinds being raised
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 04:58:41 PM »

sounds nothing like blinds to me, but it does seem somewhat intentional
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2020, 05:40:01 PM »

yeah, that "fx" sounds like some type of blinds being raised

I've always thought so, too, but also thought it could be the sound of one of the string players doing something with a bow.
James Hughes-Clarke
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 05:45:13 AM »

Curtains being opened, come on!

Hypnotise me into thinking I'm not insane
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2020, 08:58:23 AM »

I agree, it sounds like curtains being drawn. It doesn’t really sound like blinds being raised.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx