gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:19:01 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys In London Film  (Read 1831 times)
saborlord123
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 18, 2020, 08:07:16 PM »

I was reading some of the LLVS articles and I found something that interested me. In a few articles it said that The Beach Boys are planning on releasing a 24 minute film of their London tour in 1966. What happened to this film? Is it the same one that was released as a silent film on DVD a few years ago? Or is this one completely different and have sound? Can anyone shed any light?
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 09:18:04 PM »

A fair amount of that footage is in a documentary called "Surfin' Success."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjQGg0zjb0g
DeanEntwistle
Smiley Smile Associate

Hey! https://soundcloud.com/deanentwistletwo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 11:31:33 PM »

I was reading some of the LLVS articles and I found something that interested me. In a few articles it said that The Beach Boys are planning on releasing a 24 minute film of their London tour in 1966. What happened to this film? Is it the same one that was released as a silent film on DVD a few years ago? Or is this one completely different and have sound? Can anyone shed any light?
Some stills/frames of the film are, err, odd and so perv (the camera focuses on the skirts of the girls accompanying the Boys)
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 01:26:51 PM »

Yes it’s the silent footage you’ve seen
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2020, 03:08:22 AM »

But there's a lot of beautiful footage of the Boys. I hope someday this will be used adequately in a documentary. When I first saw the Sloop John B. video on the DVD-Audio of Pet Sounds, I was blown away by the live footage used.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 01:39:06 PM »

I have the footage.

The silent footage is actually the outtakes of the original 20 minutes documentary (That means that the scenes of the documentaries are cut on the DVD released).

Peter Whitehead shooted at the Airport, Fans pursuing the limo of the beach boys (filming in the balcons), Backstages and Performances of The Beach Boys at The Finsbury Astoria (Darker footage and Al playing acoustic) and Hammersmith Odeon (Brighter footage and Al playing red Strato), The Beach Boys in 2 cars traveling and in the Please Please Me stairs building, Al Jardine and Dennis Wilson buying jackets and instruments in Portobello Road  and unrelated London footage (Includes timelapse!!!) for the documentary. Also there some random psycholedical footage like: random firecrackers, shaky footage from a place called the bible and footage of the opening act ass, I guess theses were made for the Good Vibrations Video they where planning making. to end there is also footage of newspapers talking about the Beach Boys.

Unfortunately the complete footage isn't avaliable, there is missing the shots of the beat club good vibes video.

Actually is easy to guess the songs they are performing in the concerts and if you pause you can see the setlist in the part where you can see the boys making it (Here a cheat):
1-Help Me Rhonda
2-I Get Around
3-Papa Oom Mow Mow/Barbara Ann (According to the setlist, a medley)
4-Sloop John B
5-California Girls
6-You're So Good To Me
7-Graduation Day (The Highlight)
8-God Only Know (Unfortunately Peter filmed a very small snippet of the song)
9-Good Vibrations
10-Wouldn't It Be Nice (Apparently an encore)

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx