gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:05:37 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TRAINWRECKORDS: Summer In Paradise  (Read 12328 times)
The Nearest Faraway Place
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 20, 2020, 01:03:58 PM »

*UPDATE* here it is:
https://youtu.be/-DoFMALzWZI
Todd in the Shadows on YouTube has a series on albums that were complete failures. He has an episode on SIP that’s coming out later today.
I’ll post the link when it’s live, but for now heres a playlist of other episodes:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLznZMqdhi_RVHtZYrMeoi3Fjg9VNhPAX
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 12:07:33 AM by The Nearest Faraway Place » Logged
DeanEntwistle
Smiley Smile Associate

Hey! https://soundcloud.com/deanentwistletwo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 01:44:01 PM »

Todd in the Shadows on YouTube has a series on albums that were complete failures. He has an episode on SIP that’s coming out later today.
I’ll post the link when it’s live, but for now heres a playlist of other episodes:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLznZMqdhi_RVHtZYrMeoi3Fjg9VNhPAX
Cool, I'm looking forward to see his SIP video!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 12:30:09 AM »

https://youtu.be/-DoFMALzWZI
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2020, 03:23:02 AM »

Amazingly entertaining.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2020, 05:49:21 AM »

AWESOME!
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2020, 10:49:43 AM »

Brutal, yet very, very funny and entertaining.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
DeanEntwistle
Smiley Smile Associate

Hey! https://soundcloud.com/deanentwistletwo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2020, 11:27:12 AM »

Amazing video!!
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2020, 03:16:09 PM »

Was there an official video made for the Surfin' remake? Guy did a good job there. Quite a bit of footage I have never seen before.

Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2020, 04:06:57 PM »

Was there an official video made for the Surfin' remake? Guy did a good job there. Quite a bit of footage I have never seen before.

I don’t think so since it was never a single.

Adds some 🎼 to your day
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2020, 06:31:55 PM »

I don’t think so since it was never a single.

There is some sort of video footage floating around that accompanied that Surfin’ remake. I don’t think it’s on YouTube at the moment though.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2020, 05:09:20 AM »

Around 7.12, there is footage, some I have seen, some not...girls dancing on what looks like the set of Sesame Street  Grin then at 7.38...is that Stamos with a Carl beard?

kennyhasbeenfound
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2020, 08:02:30 AM »

Neat video.  I always really liked Lahaina Aloha, though.  Only song on there I listen to.  And, as usual, Carl's vocals were nice.  I remember finding a CD of SIP at an Austin Best Buy 20+ years ago.  I was thinking of buying it, but somehow managed to drop it.  It disappeared between the shelf and wall.  I remember thinking, that will probably be there until they close the store in a hundred years, and someone will find it!  That Best Buy has been gone a long time.  Wonder what happened to the CD.

"Shut up you guys"- Carl Wilson.
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2020, 04:11:49 PM »

Around 7.12, there is footage, some I have seen, some not...girls dancing on what looks like the set of Sesame Street  Grin then at 7.38...is that Stamos with a Carl beard?

That’s from the music video of “Hot Fun in the Summertime”.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2020, 01:11:18 AM »

That’s from the music video of “Hot Fun in the Summertime”.

They cast child actors to play the 4 BB in the video.

https://youtu.be/mRDCmUglZw4

Adds some 🎼 to your day
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2020, 03:38:48 AM »

Thanks for that. I don't think I've ever seen that video in full.

Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2020, 04:36:49 AM »

Must admit there are two songs I like on the CD. I think Lahaina Aloha is really good with great Carl vocals and I really like One Summer Night which I think has great Al vocals. Everything else blah
Daniel Dolphin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2020, 05:39:58 AM »

I agree. I can even stand ”strange things happening” and to some extent ”Summer in Paradise(Live). The rest is genereric fluff and two disasters, by the way.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 05:41:26 AM by Daniel Dolphin » Logged
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2020, 07:47:34 AM »

Must admit there are two songs I like on the CD. I think Lahaina Aloha is really good with great Carl vocals and I really like One Summer Night which I think has great Al vocals. Everything else blah

For what it's worth, I always had a soft spot for "Island Fever" (the original version, not the disjointed UK one) despite the song's obvious "Kokomo" influence.  Used to also like their admittedly sterile cover of "Hot Fun In the Summertime". 

I actually initially liked the whole album when I first heard it but I was barely a teenager at the time and was just getting into the Beach Boys.  After getting the 30th anniversary box set soon after, I never looked back on Summer In Paradise.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2020, 07:47:44 AM »

Live every artist's catalogue, the Boys have quite a few duds in theirs too. But the bottom of the barrel has got to be Summer Of Love. I still cringe when I think why Carl allowed that mess to be released to the public!
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2020, 08:48:15 AM »

Live every artist's catalogue, the Boys have quite a few duds in theirs too. But the bottom of the barrel has got to be Summer Of Love. I still cringe when I think why Carl allowed that mess to be released to the public!

But he didn't want to work on Brian's songs in 1995 because he didn't think they were good enough. Amazing.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2020, 09:36:56 AM »

Never thought about that but great point. Brian, in his worst days, outshines ML every time.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2020, 10:27:28 AM »

One note... this reviewer gives ML credit for writing Kokomo, but it's John Phillips' song.  Phillips' version was 80% there, while Mike added the "Bermuda Bahama come on pretty mama" bit.

I remember back when SIP was new-ish and the internet was in its infancy, several fans mockingly described the album as "Mike Love's Pet Sounds"  or "Mike Love's Smile."  And that was sort of true.  It was a project with a unified theme ("summer") in which one member (Mike) had free rein to do a whole album consistent with his personal vision.

And, yes, it just boggles the mind that Carl, God rest his soul, apparently thought that the Wilson-Paley songs and Don Was weren't up to the group's standards... while the SIP material apparently was (?!).

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2020, 04:29:46 PM »

One note... this reviewer gives ML credit for writing Kokomo, but it's John Phillips' song.  Phillips' version was 80% there, while Mike added the "Bermuda Bahama come on pretty mama" bit.

I remember back when SIP was new-ish and the internet was in its infancy, several fans mockingly described the album as "Mike Love's Pet Sounds"  or "Mike Love's Smile."  And that was sort of true.  It was a project with a unified theme ("summer") in which one member (Mike) had free rein to do a whole album consistent with his personal vision.

And, yes, it just boggles the mind that Carl, God rest his soul, apparently thought that the Wilson-Paley songs and Don Was weren't up to the group's standards... while the SIP material apparently was (?!).

My understanding is that between 1986-1994, Mike Love had complete creative control over the BBs music, and either everyone went along, or they were kicked out. Al got kicked out around 1990, probably for objecting to the direction they were going. Meanwhile, in 1995 when Brian returned, he got more control, and Brian would listen to Carl more than Mike would
luckyoldsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2020, 05:20:11 PM »

I confess I don't know all the ins and outs of the organization, but I thought it was more along the lines of the voting partners of BRI basically sided with Mike on having the touring license and kind of made him the captain of the brand. Neither Carl nor Brian were deeply invested in piloting the ship.

I think "Summer of Paradise" happened because it was something to do and there was no real resistance to putting out product, but it wasn't that Mike necessarily had complete control. But Landy's Brian was focused on solo work, Carl kind of lost motivation after the band went oldies (and especially after Dennis died). Al may have resisted elements of the situation, especially with live performances / cheerleaders, but he was the only one perhaps positioned to combat Mike. And however one looks at it, Mike has certainly been more of a face of the brand and IS a family member, so he has a bit more pull than Al.

Again, just my basic understanding, and I would not be at all surprised if I am wrong. Smiley

As for Carl, the Brian/Paley material, I've thought about this one a lot.

Here's where I land on it ...

I don't think Carl disliked the material. I don't even think he necessarily resented Brian being back in the big chair. And honestly, I don't believe he saw more value in Stars and Stripes, Vol. 1, or in Summer in Paradise, vs. the Paley material.

I think Carl saw a chance of history repeating itself, and this time he said, "That's enough."

From Brian's 1964 breakdown to the Smile meltdown to the 1968 mental disintegration to the Holland struggle to the Brian's Back circus to the "no really, Brian's really back this time" of KTSA, to the return of Landy ... all Carl ever heard was, "Why didn't the band do this, why didn't the band do that, why did Brian get rushed, why was Brian turned back into a performer, why was Brian forced to produce material, why didn't the family stop this, why didn't Carl do XYZ," etc.

Then there was the faux autobiography, the lawsuits, the press, and all anyone could agree on was that things were completely screwed up.

Carl may have seen renewed interest, a new collection of material, Brian at the center and he may have thought to himself, "What if this goes sideways like it has the last twenty years? What if he loses interest and I have to finish the product? What if Brian crashes even harder? What's Brian's mental state? Is he on the right meds? He's smoking again and he's gaining weight, are people going to compare this to 1980-82?"

I think Carl was in a no-win situation. And the only way to basically control the situation and deflect attention on a possible mess was to shut down the project.

I'm not saying this is 100 percent what happened. But I put myself in the place of the caring brother who has watched his sibling soar close to the sun, crash to earth and try to take flight again like a phoenix, only to burn again and again ... What would I do?

We also can look at release timelines. There was a 5-year span between KTSA and BB85 (granted, Dennis died in between), there were 4 years between BB85 and Still Cruisin' (and that wasn't even a full album of new material). So really there were 7 years between BB85 and SIP. Four years after SIP came Stars and Stripes Vol. 1 (which isn't a perfect album, nor even a particularly inspired project, but it didn't require much investment, it followed a similar project with the Eagles, and had the potential to grow into a new market). Less than 2 years after that, Carl was dead.

Maybe the Paley Sessions material would have blossomed after SAS after the band and Brian and Paley woodshedded the material more. Was, in the 50 Sides book, even takes the blame / falls on the sword for telling Carl and the band that he thought the group could come up with better material.

Carl got sick, Carl died, Brian went full into his solo career and that ended the Paley Sessions hopes for a Beach Boys project.

All I'm saying is that I don't think the decision was simple, I don't think the decision was even really made ... no final decree from Carl that this material would never be recorded. I think they were looking for a chance to try something and take the time to make a good original project, but then time ran out for Carl.

Maybe I'm trying to give Carl way too much freedom. But the dude was a beautiful voice, a true musician and had certainly led the group through rough waters ... I don't think he necessarily thought SIP was better than Paley, I think he was trying to be careful and avoid another exploitation circus and maybe actually buy the time for the band to really make something special. It's just that the special project never had the time to happen.

My two cents, worth much less than that in today's economy.

I end with a caveat: I am always wrong. Smiley So anyone who disagrees, I don't take it personally.

Wish you'd help me find the key ...
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2020, 05:58:42 PM »

Thanks for that. I don't think I've ever seen that video in full.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAq0vvnjdJE
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx