gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:02:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who's the singer (or singers) in some BW 80's tunes?  (Read 2847 times)
DeanEntwistle
Smiley Smile Associate

Hey! https://soundcloud.com/deanentwistletwo

View Profile WWW
« on: March 17, 2020, 11:34:52 AM »

Well, if you listen to some tunes by BW from the mid-80's you can hear female vocalists (or just a vocalist?) in some tunes.
The tunes in question are Doing Time on Planet Earth (early Being With the One You Love) and in Too Much Sugar, the vocalist in Doing Time on Planet Earth seems to be singing in a kind of duet with Brian, so, yeah, my doubt/question is if anyone know who is her?

Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 12:34:12 PM »

I don't remember where I heard it, but I believe the female on Doing Time On Planet Earth is Paula Abdul.  The version I have of this song sounds like it was taken from a 7th generation cassette, so it is hard to tell, but I am pretty sure I read that it was her.

No idea on Too Much Sugar, I assume they are some studio background singers that sang on various recording sessions as session vocalists.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 12:36:51 PM by Matt H » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 06:39:37 PM »

Would be cool to know the answer.

It would be interesting to compile a list of female singers heard on BBs band/solo recordings.

A few that come to mind:

Audree Wilson
Marilyn Rovell
Diane Rovell
Carnie Wilson
Wendy Wilson
Ambha Love
Myrna Smith
Zooey Deschanel
Kacey Musgraves
Kathy Troccoli
Lorrie Morgan
Toni Tennille
Annette Funicello
Christine McVie
Alexander Hamilton's Double Rock Baptist Choir (has anyone from this choir who sang on POB ever been identified/interviewed?)
Trisha Roach
Karen Lamm-Wilson

Surely there are quite a few more on some obscure tunes.

Side note: Speaking of mystery or little-known people on BW recordings, it still blows my mind that Weird Al is on a Brian Wilson solo recording, and hardly anyone knows about it. In fact, I met Weird Al once randomly, and got a bit starstruck and momentarily forgot about his BW cameo - Wish I would've asked him about it and maybe I'd have been the 1st person since 1991 to do so.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 06:49:28 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 11:01:33 PM »

I don't remember where I heard it, but I believe the female on Doing Time On Planet Earth is Paula Abdul.  The version I have of this song sounds like it was taken from a 7th generation cassette, so it is hard to tell, but I am pretty sure I read that it was her.

No idea on Too Much Sugar, I assume they are some studio background singers that sang on various recording sessions as session vocalists.

I heard she sang on "Make A Wish" from Sweet Insanity.
DeanEntwistle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 11:50:26 PM »

oh, really? That sounds cool!
Hey C-Man, do you have any idea of who are the female singers in the aforementioned tracks?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 12:32:42 AM »

oh, really? That sounds cool!
Hey C-Man, do you have any idea of who are the female singers in the aforementioned tracks?

No, afraid not!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2020, 10:22:57 AM »

I wonder if Landy ever had Alexandra Morgan sing on one of Brian's 80s songs.
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2020, 11:00:07 AM »

Paula Abdul was of course dating John Stamos around that time. She also appears, dancing with Stamos, in the Beach Boys' Crocodile Rock clip.

She definitely sang on the re-recorded Sweet Insanity track Spirit of Rock n Roll - the version with Bob Dylan vocals.
DeanEntwistle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2020, 11:28:53 AM »

I wonder if Landy ever had Alexandra Morgan sing on one of Brian's 80s songs.
yeah, I've been wondering about that too!
DeanEntwistle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2020, 05:25:47 PM »

wow, it seems that now we have a new-little mystery surrounding the whole BB's circle, IMO, i feel that it could be Alexandra Morgan (assuming that she's a singer) or Paula Abdul
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2020, 06:22:11 PM »

Paula Abdul was of course dating John Stamos around that time. She also appears, dancing with Stamos, in the Beach Boys' Crocodile Rock clip.

She definitely sang on the re-recorded Sweet Insanity track Spirit of Rock n Roll - the version with Bob Dylan vocals.

Fascinating. I had no idea that Paula Abdul had any connection to John Stamos or to this band.

Pretty shocking that Brian squandered two cameos of that magnitude on a song version that never even came out, Bob Dylan and Paula Abdul who was nearly the equivalent of getting Madonna on a song at that point I would tend to think.

I feel like those must be two of the biggest vocal cameos that have ever appeared on any song or solo project by this band, other than perhaps Paul McCartney and Elton John, who had their BW songs released.
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2020, 02:10:23 PM »

Fascinating. I had no idea that Paula Abdul had any connection to John Stamos or to this band.

Pretty shocking that Brian squandered two cameos of that magnitude on a song version that never even came out, Bob Dylan and Paula Abdul who was nearly the equivalent of getting Madonna on a song at that point I would tend to think.

I feel like those must be two of the biggest vocal cameos that have ever appeared on any song or solo project by this band, other than perhaps Paul McCartney and Elton John, who had their BW songs released.

Well, fingers crossed for an official Copyright Extension release in 2041!

Just discovered a better quality upload of the Crocodile Rock video too - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QE8u7qCWohM
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 02:16:35 PM by thetojo » Logged
DeanEntwistle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2020, 02:19:19 PM »

Just discovered a better quality upload of the Crocodile Rock video too - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QE8u7qCWohM
HAHAHAHAHA, I will be a 43 year old guy, so, that's okay for me, i hope that they make another anthology album for Brian Wilson with a lot of sweet gems
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2020, 02:24:58 PM »

HAHAHAHAHA, I will be a 43 year old guy, so, that's okay for me, i hope that they make another anthology album for Brian Wilson with a lot of sweet gems

Try watching that video on mute. It's perhaps an even more strange and unsettling experience than having the sound on  LOL
DeanEntwistle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2020, 02:54:16 PM »

Try watching that video on mute. It's perhaps an even more strange and unsettling experience than having the sound on  LOL
yeah hahahaha, it's an odd video
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2020, 03:10:12 PM »

Okay, looking at that again I'm not sure if that's her or not. Would the jury please deliver their verdict?

Great fun crazy stupid video though.
DeanEntwistle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2020, 06:21:50 PM »

Okay, looking at that again I'm not sure if that's her or not. Would the jury please deliver their verdict?

Great fun crazy stupid video though.
I don't like Al's look, the Al with long hair in the mid-90's looks weird, but on the other hand, he looked so amazing and cool when he had long hair and beard in the 70's (the cover and his vocals are amazing tho)
DeanEntwistle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2020, 11:23:56 AM »

Would be cool to know the answer.

It would be interesting to compile a list of female singers heard on BBs band/solo recordings.

A few that come to mind:

Audree Wilson
Marilyn Rovell
Diane Rovell
Carnie Wilson
Wendy Wilson
Ambha Love
Myrna Smith
Zooey Deschanel
Kacey Musgraves
Kathy Troccoli
Lorrie Morgan
Toni Tennille
Annette Funicello
Christine McVie
Alexander Hamilton's Double Rock Baptist Choir (has anyone from this choir who sang on POB ever been identified/interviewed?)
Trisha Roach
Karen Lamm-Wilson

Surely there are quite a few more on some obscure tunes.

Side note: Speaking of mystery or little-known people on BW recordings, it still blows my mind that Weird Al is on a Brian Wilson solo recording, and hardly anyone knows about it. In fact, I met Weird Al once randomly, and got a bit starstruck and momentarily forgot about his BW cameo - Wish I would've asked him about it and maybe I'd have been the 1st person since 1991 to do so.
yes! Someone needs to ask Weird Al about his collaboration with Brian in Let's Stick Together
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx