gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:32:55 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Did SMiLE Have A Release Date?  (Read 2125 times)
saborlord123
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 15, 2020, 01:52:35 PM »

The single Heroes and Villains was supposed to come out on January 13, 1967. When would the album (if completed) had come out? I would think January 20th, 1967 (the week after the single came out) would be the ideal release date. They did it with Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!) with California Girls coming out the week after the album was released. Can anybody shed any light? Did it even have a release date? Thanks!
luckyoldsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2020, 02:45:49 PM »

Hmmm ... I guess I'm not aware of set release dates. Obviously the radio advertisement said January of 1967, and when that date got missed I know there were projections for March ...

But I can't recall reading anything that was like, "Coming on January XX, the new Beach Boys release: Smile!" or anything like that. But I don't have many magazines from that period, so maybe Teen Beat or other periodicals from that period would have had that information.

Occasionally I come across cool advertisements and displays when I do Google image searches. Could be fun to do some "spelunking" for release dates. Smiley

Wish you'd help me find the key ...
SBonilla
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2020, 03:18:55 PM »

Hmmm ... I guess I'm not aware of set release dates. Obviously the radio advertisement said January of 1967, and when that date got missed I know there were projections for March ...

I thought that was an in-house pitch to Capitol's sales department about the label's upcoming releases.
When I worked at Capitol, there was always a pre-recorded message that was played at the monthly sales meeting.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 03:25:02 PM by SBonilla » Logged
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2020, 06:51:33 PM »

I thought that was an in-house pitch to Capitol's sales department about the label's upcoming releases.
When I worked at Capitol, there was always a pre-recorded message that was played at the monthly sales meeting.

Correct.  Capitol's sales team and retailers were the intended audience of that promo.  For years, there was a misconception among some fans that "we're sure to sell a million units in January" referred to the projected 1-month sales of the Smile album but the boast was intended as an aggregate total, with the promo mentioning all of Capitol's new releases for January.
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 05:13:16 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 07:59:12 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
saborlord123
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2020, 06:50:58 AM »

There was a projected release date of Jan 15.
Source? I have heard that release date before but I'm pretty sure it was when Brian was supposed to deliver the completed album to them.
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2020, 06:53:59 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 07:59:22 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
saborlord123
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2020, 07:38:12 AM »

Ok, so I found a page in LLVS that said it was supposed to release on January 15, 1967. This is years after the fact however but they do cite a Phono Log Book in December of 1966. Don't know how true this is, but it is something...
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2020, 08:13:56 AM »

Important to remember, though, that just because there was a projected date of January 15, this doesn't mean that one can accurately say, "The definitive version of SMiLE includes only recordings made prior to that date" - just in case anyone is tempted to do so. Smiley We know that release dates often get pushed out, and sometimes that's because the artist hasn't finished the work yet, despite being way behind schedule. Especially in the case of SMiLE, it was ever-evolving, ever-changing, and ultimately never-finished. Besides recording seemingly endless variations of "Heroes And Villains" (whether "just" Part II of the planned single, or not), Brian had re-recorded "Wonderful" by mid-January, would re-record "Child Is The Father" and "Vega-tables", apparently hadn't yet begun whatever would constitute the "Water" element (whether "Love To Say Da-Da" or not), hadn't finished "Surf's Up", and hadn't yet added the group's vocals to large swaths of the tracks.  
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 08:14:46 AM by c-man » Logged
SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2020, 08:26:26 AM »

There was a projected release date of Jan 15.

Which is the day I was born in '67.  Instead of Smile the world got me!   LOL
Sorry guys.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx