gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:04:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mark Linett interview with multitracks on Produce Like A Pro Youtube Channel  (Read 10365 times)
debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2020, 05:51:34 PM »

Mark Linnet was on the live show today at Produce Like A Pro and brought with him some Beach Boys multitracks, including some Smile stuff. Must see.

https://youtu.be/prFdy74TyuA?t=9356 Time stamped.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 02:49:09 PM by debonbon » Logged

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 05:58:08 PM »

Oh lord.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 06:00:14 PM »

"Hasn't been released YET"

This is great to see.  "It was recorded here."  Weird to think about that.  Very cool.  I'll be using this plug in when the time comes.  Beach Boys multitracks are very very special to me.  Very tantalizing stuff.  Lots more I could say...

MULTITRACKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 06:06:26 PM »

Great discussions about Sunset Sound history and recording history!  Glorious!!
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 06:12:38 PM »

Mark if you check in here, about the board routing which you touch on in the video--I keep reading Bob Olhsson mentioning that Cal Harris told him that Chuck Britz actually preferred to bypass the board at Western a lot of the time, favoring an Ampex MX-10 for dynamics and ribbons, and going right into a limiter for tube mics.

Was that...possible?  Did the Putnam boards bypassing board-pre inserts from outboard pres?
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 06:52:54 PM »

Also, this detail from the end: "large project" coming "we hope this fall."

Thanks Mark.  We all really appreciate your work.  Really grateful for when you talk about it in this level of detail.
DeanEntwistle
Smiley Smile Associate

Hey! https://soundcloud.com/deanentwistletwo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 07:21:27 PM »

Mark Linnet was on the live show today at Produce Like A Pro and brought with him some Beach Boys multitracks, including some Smile stuff. Must see.

https://youtu.be/prFdy74TyuA?t=9356 Time stamped.
Amazing!!!!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 02:30:08 AM »

Thanks!!

This just reminds me that we actually don't have that many Dennis backing tracks, do we? "San Miguel" sounds great, I never realized that with the vocals.

RE: Cottonfields

IIRC the players on the session are the Boys themselves plus Red Rhodes on Pedal Steel.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 02:59:33 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2020, 03:09:48 AM »

Thanks!!

This just reminds me that we actually don't have that many Dennis backing tracks, do we? "San Miguel" sounds great, I never realized that with the vocals.

IIRC the players on the session are the Boys themselves plus Red Rhodes on Pedal Steel.

Yes!  And Carter on Bass, Dragon on Keys, and their road horns at the time, Edwwards, Koyen, Peterson, and Small.
DeanEntwistle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2020, 07:07:43 AM »

Thanks!!

Yes!  And Carter on Bass, Dragon on Keys, and their road horns at the time, Edwwards, Koyen, Peterson, and Small.
Cool, do you have any clue of the musicians involved in the San Miguel sessions?
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2020, 07:54:51 AM »

Damn, this is awesome. Wow.

I've always thought that "San Miguel" was one of the most underrated tracks in the catalog. There is some wicked amazing vocal stuff going on, and I can't wait to hear that song newly mixed, because it's a very muddy mix that we have currently.

Does anybody know, was the mix that was released in the early 1980s done by Dennis back in 1969?
Or was it mixed newly in the 80s at the time it was released?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2020, 08:19:15 AM »

Thanks!!

Cool, do you have any clue of the musicians involved in the San Miguel sessions?

Yes - the basic track at Sunset was laid down with Dennis on piano, Carl and James Burton on guitars, Lyle Ritz on bass, Hal on drums, Daryl on marimba. Then horns and strings were added at two back-to-back sessions at Valentine nine days later. A couple of days after that, it was back to Sunset for a percussion overdub by Dennis and Hal (castanets & tympani?). Finally, Dennis and Carl added another unknown overdub at Sunset a few days after that (maybe the kazoo solo?).
as1972
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2020, 08:25:54 AM »

Mark, if you do see this thread, you mentioned that one multi-track needs to be held down while it's played. I'm wondering if you can share which tape that would be?

Love the interview. The new mix of San Miguel sounds great

Trying to figure out which of my organs I could sell for outtakes and live.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2020, 08:41:42 AM »

Damn, this is awesome. Wow.

I've always thought that "San Miguel" was one of the most underrated tracks in the catalog. There is some wicked amazing vocal stuff going on, and I can't wait to hear that song newly mixed, because it's a very muddy mix that we have currently.

Does anybody know, was the mix that was released in the early 1980s done by Dennis back in 1969?
Or was it mixed newly in the 80s at the time it was released?

I'd read in the pages of the "Add Some Music" fanzine that "San Miguel" was remixed by the group at MIU in late '77. I'd read somewhere else later that this mix was used on the Ten Years Harmony release in '81. I haven't compared that to the bootlegged Landlocked version, or the CD release on 30 Years Of Good Vibrations from '93 to see if there are any noticeable differences (meaning, I don't know if the '93 release used the same mix as the '81 release, or the original '69 mix).
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2020, 10:00:01 AM »

That was fantastic - Thanks Mark, you are a treasure!  Smiley

What also leapt out from the interview is just how well done Brian Wilson Presents Smile really was, and how precise and respectful the new recordings in 2004 were to the originals in 66-67. Major, majuor kudos to Mark, Brian, Darian, and everyone involved for creating a masterpiece.

Also worth noting is how Mark describes Brian's working methods in 66-67, *without* anything resembling digital editing and easy-access filing of recordings, and just how he managed to create a final mix of Good Vibrations from all of those tapes. Brian, as Mark said, was at least 30 years ahead of his time conceptually, and the technology which we all take for granted since the 90's was the template of how Brian was working in analog in 1967. It is truly amazing to consider that single aspect, and anyone who thinks Brian's "genius" is overrated should get a lecture on that element of his work.

This makes me want to go on a listening binge with Brian Wilson Presents Smile - It's been too long since I have.

Side note: I missed the live event, but if my memory and facts are correct, I went to college with and was in the same program as the moderator (Peter) running the event on YouTube for IK Multimedia. When he said in the chat that he did a production analysis of a Tears For Fears track at Berklee, I was like "Yes sir!" lol. Another one was Sloop John B, and no student I knew ever tackled doing the soundalike of that one because it was just too damn complex to nail.  I'll have to see if we can request "MORE!" content like this...I could listen to these talks for hours.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
DeanEntwistle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2020, 12:11:03 PM »

Thanks!!

Yes - the basic track at Sunset was laid down with Dennis on piano, Carl and James Burton on guitars, Lyle Ritz on bass, Hal on drums, Daryl on marimba. Then horns and strings were added at two back-to-back sessions at Valentine nine days later. A couple of days after that, it was back to Sunset for a percussion overdub by Dennis and Hal (castanets & tympani?). Finally, Dennis and Carl added another unknown overdub at Sunset a few days after that (maybe the kazoo solo?).
Cool! Thanks Mr. Slowinski
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2020, 12:15:38 PM »

Thanks!!

Yes!  And Carter on Bass, Dragon on Keys, and their road horns at the time, Edwwards, Koyen, Peterson, and Small.

Fascinating, thanks for the info.

Is that really a kazoo solo? During the bridge you are referring to?
No joke, I always thought that was a fuzzed-out electric guitar.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 12:16:10 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
DeanEntwistle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2020, 12:46:10 PM »

Thanks!!

Yes!  And Carter on Bass, Dragon on Keys, and their road horns at the time, Edwwards, Koyen, Peterson, and Small.

I think that they recorded a guitar solo and they later overdubbed a kazoo with fuzz in order to double that solo
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2020, 02:01:13 PM »

Love hearing San Miguel in such clean quality. The GV box set was really my intro into the deep fandom but the songs on there are so muddy.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2020, 02:51:32 PM »

Thanks!!

I think that they recorded a guitar solo and they later overdubbed a kazoo with fuzz in order to double that solo

Amazing. That makes sense now that I think about it.

I've always thought that was possibly the coolest guitar solo in the entire catalog, it captures the late 1960s fuzz guitar in a very authentic, non-forced type of manner in my opinion. Sort of what they were trying to achieve with bluebirds over the mountain, but on that song the fuzz guitar came off as forced.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2020, 04:10:16 PM »

Thanks!!

Road horn guys, or studio hires?  How big was the string section?
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2020, 04:55:50 PM »

Love hearing San Miguel in such clean quality. The GV box set was really my intro into the deep fandom but the songs on there are so muddy.

For sure. Hearing San Miguel like it was meant to be heard is reminiscent of hearing Pet Sounds in stereo for the first time back in '96. Fantastic!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2020, 05:56:14 PM »

Mark does the Lords work

Hope he knows how much the beach boys community appreciates home

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
DeanEntwistle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2020, 06:00:49 PM »

Mark does the Lords work

Hope he knows how much the beach boys community appreciates home
Oh yeah, i have the same feeling towards Mark, you are the real MVP (well, you and Alan Boyd)
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2020, 06:52:33 PM »

I have no way of knowing whether there is ANY truth in this statement, or whether the guy was just being a troll and trying to get everybody's hopes up in vain for his own lolz... but did anyone here watch the Mark/Warren Huart interview at Sunset with the live chat enabled at the side? It came on by default in my browser and most of it was the fairly forgettable stuff you get in live comment feeds... but, towards the end, after Mark mentioned during the interview that the final eight-track multitrack master tape for Good Vibrations was missing, this guy calling himself 'MegaBirdman2' made two comments at around 3hrs 55mins into the stream (pics of both attached to the end of this post).

I have no idea who he's talking about (I'm based in the UK), but a quick Google revealed that there is an West Coast-based engineer called Robert Honablue, quite old now, who worked at CBS at some point and ran his own studio until recently.

Like I say, this might just be an on-line guy yanking everyone's chain on the IK live chat because, well... it's a live chat, he has a pseudonym and he *can*... but is it worth checking this GV multitrack info out any further?

Caveat emptor: the same guy, 'MegaBirdman2' seemed a bit cheesed off earlier in the live chat thread, as he felt the live giveaways IK were doing during the streamed interviews weren't very fair and he was (unfairly, it seemed to me) annoyed that he hadn't won anything. So I think he might have just been trying to stir things up a bit. If that was his aim, it didn't work, since as far as I could see no-one responded to his Good Vibrations comments at all! Which is why I've posted this... I thought everyone here would be discussing it by now, but it seems it passed unnoticed thus far. I thought 'ah, he's probably just a troll... I'll forget it too'. But then the thought grabbed me: what if it WAS true and the GV multi HAD actually survived by being taken from CBS before all the tapes there were junked? I wouldn't want that info to be missed if there's the slightest possibility it's true...?

*I'm* on the level, by the way. I'm an audio tech journalist based in the UK. I post under my real name, and have been doing so here for years. I interviewed Mark myself and wrote the piece in the UK recording magazine Sound On Sound in 2004 on the recording of BWPS, and also conducted a Sound On Sound video interview with Mark last year in his own studio about... well, all sorts of stuff, but mainly the back catalogue copyright retention reissues. I would love the GV multitrack to be found (wouldn't we all?).

Sadly, I can't necessarily say the same for 'MegaBirdman2'. I've no idea who he is and he might just be trying to get a rise out of people. But surely, what he says might be worth looking into?

MattB
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx