gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:16:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson mid 90s  (Read 3555 times)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« on: February 24, 2020, 08:59:11 PM »

When I find interviews of Brian from around 94 - 97, or the Andy Payley sessions, Brian seems more confident and creative than he has since the 60s! I wonder if the passing of his mother and Carl has been very hard on him. Since 98 he has had some good days, but usually seems uncomfortable and going through the motions. I'm amazed at what he has done for the past 20 years, but has anyone else noticed his mid 90s personality? In the Don Was documentary, there are times that he is sad, but still seems confident and comfortable talking. In his meeting with George Harrison, he also seemed quite comfortable. One of my favorite songs by Wilson/Payley is Chain Reaction of Love. I hope it comes out some day!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 10:06:50 PM »

“Put me in jail” always has me in stitches in the IKWMFTT doc. Just the way he says it. For some reason he came off as retired mobster in that documentary.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 11:54:59 PM »

Personally, I think it was probably the ever changing medications over the years that took something away from his personality.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 01:36:21 AM »

When I find interviews of Brian from around 94 - 97, or the Andy Payley sessions, Brian seems more confident and creative than he has since the 60s! I wonder if the passing of his mother and Carl has been very hard on him. Since 98 he has had some good days, but usually seems uncomfortable and going through the motions. I'm amazed at what he has done for the past 20 years, but has anyone else noticed his mid 90s personality? In the Don Was documentary, there are times that he is sad, but still seems confident and comfortable talking. In his meeting with George Harrison, he also seemed quite comfortable. One of my favorite songs by Wilson/Payley is Chain Reaction of Love. I hope it comes out some day!

When did Brian meet with George Harrison?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 06:15:18 AM »

Yeah, I'm thinking the original poster meant to say George Martin, referencing the 90s meeting they had for the "Rhythm of Life" documentary, which was indeed a *great* segment with both Brian and Martin showing each other some appropriate reverence. Brian was indeed quite comfortable in that segment. I've commented in the past that knowing how these things sometimes go, the segment could have been a trainwreck, but it turned out great. Watching Martin marvel at watching Brian play "God Only Knows" on a piano, and then watching Brian compliment Martin on his impromptu mix of "God Only Knows" ("it's better than the master!"). Great stuff. Kinda wish they would have had those two just sit there all day and break apart the PS album.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 06:20:00 AM »

That being said, Brian probably, or seemingly *should have*, met George Harrison at some point, such as the '88 R&R HOF ceremony. We know at least Al Jardine met Harrison and Ringo that night, as he went over to them to apologize for Mike's speech! They were all on stage together at the end.

There are some seemingly semi-apocryphal stories of various contingents of Beatles and Beach Boys meeting in the 60s in LA while the Beatles were hanging in LA on tour in 64/65/66.

But by the mid-90s, I think Paul and Ringo were the only Beatles that Brian was running across.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 10:38:01 AM »

What a huge tragedy it must have been for Brian to lose his brother so young, just a few short years after coming out of the Landy fog. It must have felt like the universe kicking Brian when he was down, after all that he'd been through, and right when he was trying to regain a sense of normalcy in his life.

And for it to have happened while the two brothers seemingly had some unfinished issues between them (stuff stirred up by Landy), it's just really, really sad. The universe just dealt Brian a lot of really unfair cards.

So yeah, I think in many ways, Brian hasn't really gotten over his brother passing away. Many people, not just Brian, never really entirely get over a loss like that without being changed. Fortunately he has Melinda and a support system around him now, but I think that event did change him, or at least his outward demeanor on the public side.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 10:51:16 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
The Nearest Faraway Place
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2020, 02:29:55 PM »

Its earlier but...
https://youtu.be/mIYOiGRPsbY
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2020, 03:36:40 PM »

Ahhh what a most unfortunate photo to use as a thumbnail...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2020, 07:09:12 PM »

Y'know, if I was Brian Wilson in the early '80s, I'd eat room service in the nude except for a flat-top hat! Why not!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2020, 09:14:39 PM »

It appears he was also wearing shoes

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2020, 10:06:11 AM »

I love how he has a bit smile on his face, like it's a regular, every day occurrence.  LOL

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2020, 10:25:24 AM »

Yeah, I'm thinking the original poster meant to say George Martin, referencing the 90s meeting they had for the "Rhythm of Life" documentary, which was indeed a *great* segment with both Brian and Martin showing each other some appropriate reverence. Brian was indeed quite comfortable in that segment. I've commented in the past that knowing how these things sometimes go, the segment could have been a trainwreck, but it turned out great. Watching Martin marvel at watching Brian play "God Only Knows" on a piano, and then watching Brian compliment Martin on his impromptu mix of "God Only Knows" ("it's better than the master!"). Great stuff. Kinda wish they would have had those two just sit there all day and break apart the PS album.

Yes I did mean George Martin. Thank you

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2020, 10:35:05 AM »

His interview with Howard Stern was also good. But I think in the late 80s, he seemed energetic because of the speed (or other meds) that were being given to him.

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2020, 10:41:12 AM »

Was this right after he was away from Landy? I haven't heard much from him between Landy and Melinda. Is this between the 2 of them? I imagine he was quite lost at that time.

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2020, 01:12:55 PM »

Beach boys Carl and mike met the Fab Four in 1965. Mike and Bruce flew to Chicago in August 1966 to meet them again. Brian and Carl met up with Paul in 1966 and Paul visited a vegetables session in April 1967. John and George were at the unicef show in December 1967 and met all the touring BBs. Mike and Bruce then attended the magical mystery tour party. In 1968 of course mike was in India with the Beatles. In 1971 George was at the Central Park taping. Paul of Course attended Brian’s birthday in June 1976. Many witnesses say that Brian met John at a party in 1974 in Los Angeles but Brian doesn’t seem to recall it.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2020, 01:22:42 PM »

I believe it was May Pang who recounted John's circa 1974 encounters with both Brian and Dennis. Neither went particularly great it would seem.

The Nearest Faraway Place
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2020, 01:38:01 PM »

Was this right after he was away from Landy? I haven't heard much from him between Landy and Melinda. Is this between the 2 of them? I imagine he was quite lost at that time.
I’m unsure, but I think right before. Literally a few weeks before the separation
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2020, 10:32:34 PM »

“Put me in jail” always has me in stitches in the IKWMFTT doc. Just the way he says it. For some reason he came off as retired mobster in that documentary.
There are parts in that documentary where he seems the typically weird Brian, but there are also moments where he seems quite thoughtful, like the part early in the film where he talks about the first rule of ego is humour.
That film had me feeling very optimistic about Brian's future. I still watch it occasionally.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2020, 10:58:11 PM »

My mind is blown from hearing that radio clip interview. Thanks for sharing.

I never knew that "smart girls" was ever played on the radio, or that there was any recording of Brian discussing the song. Admittedly he barely says much about it, but it's still pretty surprising to hear it.
DeanEntwistle
Smiley Smile Associate

Hey! https://soundcloud.com/deanentwistletwo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2020, 11:39:49 PM »

There are parts in that documentary where he seems the typically weird Brian, but there are also moments where he seems quite thoughtful, like the part early in the film where he talks about the first rule of ego is humour.
That film had me feeling very optimistic about Brian's future. I still watch it occasionally.
yeah there are some parts where he acts and talks like the late-80's Brian
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx