gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 11:16:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Could we see any rereleases any time soon?  (Read 5569 times)
The Nearest Faraway Place
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2020, 01:25:29 PM »

The only new versions of those two albums I'd want as part of the new set are the matrix masters from Stephen Desper.

I'd love that or if they released some discrete Quadrophonic DVD-Audio or Blu-Ray mixes. I read they actually had a surround mix planned for Surf's Up, anyone know what happened to that?

The rumor was that a "Surf's Up" DVD-Audio was prepped, and it was going to include "Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again". I'd imagine it was canceled because the DVD-A format was barely a thing from the outset, probably even less so than SACD.         
I still don’t get why Dennis songs are not on Surfs Up.
I’ve heard that they didn’t want to make it an entire Wilson brothers project, but thats ridiculous. The actual album is only about half Wilson brothers. Another argument I’ve heard is that there was just not enough time on an album. But I call BS on this too. Surfs Up is 33 minutes. Thats on the shorter side for 1971.
They could have fit 12-14 tracks and no one would be complaining
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2020, 01:29:14 PM »

The only new versions of those two albums I'd want as part of the new set are the matrix masters from Stephen Desper.

I'd love that or if they released some discrete Quadrophonic DVD-Audio or Blu-Ray mixes. I read they actually had a surround mix planned for Surf's Up, anyone know what happened to that?

The rumor was that a "Surf's Up" DVD-Audio was prepped, and it was going to include "Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again". I'd imagine it was canceled because the DVD-A format was barely a thing from the outset, probably even less so than SACD.         
I’ve heard that they didn’t want to make it an entire Wilson brothers project, but thats ridiculous. The actual album is only about half Wilson brothers. Another argument I’ve heard is that there was just not enough time on an album. But I call BS on this too. Surfs Up is 33 minutes. Thats on the shorter side for 1971.

There are some other folks here more well-versed in the band politics at play when the SU album came out, and how Dennis's songs were nixed. I'm not sure the full story is even known.

One common story over the years has been that Dennis pulled his own songs, out of some sort of protest. Who or what he was protesting hasn't always seemed very clear, but it would be some sort of internal band politics issue.

There are also some old threads that shed some light on this.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2020, 01:32:37 PM »

I really hope this new box set doesn't devote two entire discs to remastered versions of Sunflower/SU, because we've all heard those albums before and don't need them again. I'd rather they use that space for stuff we don't have, or maybe never knew to exist at all. The only new versions of those two albums I'd want as part of the new set are the matrix masters from Stephen Desper.
Speak for your self. Sunflower is fine, but Surfs Up needs a major remix. Especially Long Promised Road, Feel Flows, Lookin' At Tomorrow (A Welfare Song), and A Day In the Life of a Tree. The current mixes suck
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2020, 01:42:55 PM »

There are some other folks here more well-versed in the band politics at play when the SU album came out, and how Dennis's songs were nixed. I'm not sure the full story is even known.

One common story over the years has been that Dennis pulled his own songs, out of some sort of protest. Who or what he was protesting hasn't always seemed very clear, but it would be some sort of internal band politics issue.

There are also some old threads that shed some light on this.
I’ve also heard that he pulled them for a solo album. It’s well known that he was working on a solo album for 1971-72 but still, I think he could have at least one song for SU
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2020, 01:50:26 PM »

I really hope this new box set doesn't devote two entire discs to remastered versions of Sunflower/SU, because we've all heard those albums before and don't need them again. I'd rather they use that space for stuff we don't have, or maybe never knew to exist at all. The only new versions of those two albums I'd want as part of the new set are the matrix masters from Stephen Desper.

And even then I'd rather see space taken with dedicated isolation mixes (vocals only, backing tracks, etc.).

People can barely be bothered anymore to just sit down and listen to music as a dedicated activity, so the number of people set up for and desiring to listen to an old quad mix (or a 5.1 or 7.1 Atmos or whatever) soundtrack are relatively few in number.

Just give me a s**t-ton of outtakes in 16/44.1 redbook audio CD format, and that's just fine.
I could care less about Vocal and track only mixes for SF or SU. Now if your talking about Love You or Adult/Child, I’m all on bored
Also, strange question, but do you think that the Brian and Dennis 1982 sessions will ever be officially released? I highly doubt it, but I would buy that in a heartbeat. Also, any Carl or Dennis songs from 1978-1983.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2020, 02:12:05 PM »

And even then I'd rather see space taken with dedicated isolation mixes (vocals only, backing tracks, etc.).

People can barely be bothered anymore to just sit down and listen to music as a dedicated activity, so the number of people set up for and desiring to listen to an old quad mix (or a 5.1 or 7.1 Atmos or whatever) soundtrack are relatively few in number.

Just give me a s**t-ton of outtakes in 16/44.1 redbook audio CD format, and that's just fine.
I could care less about Vocal and track only mixes for SF or SU. Now if your talking about Love You or Adult/Child, I’m all on bored
Also, strange question, but do you think that the Brian and Dennis 1982 sessions will ever be officially released? I highly doubt it, but I would buy that in a heartbeat. Also, any Carl or Dennis songs from 1978-1983.

I think hearing the vocals-only mix of "This Whole World" on MIC was pretty important, and hearing the backing track and all that buried stuff in there may be even more important. I don't know that those albums need full front-to-back vocals-only or backing track-only treatments. But a few specific tracks are pretty integral.

As for the Brian/Dennis sessions, if we're talking the home recordings (Hamburger/Cocaine Tapes), then yeah, there's no way that full tape would ever be released. It's unlikely anything would ever be used, though I suppose it's not impossible they could pluck out an edited, cleaned-up couple of minutes for "Oh Lord" or something as a part of a larger concept set.

If we're talking studio sessions, I'm not sure what else is specifically Brian/Dennis besides "Stevie" from the early 80s. Certainly "Stevie" seems up to "releasable" quality in an archival set.

The main roadblock is finding a context for 80s tracks. They're nowhere near copyright extension for 80s stuff, so it would have to be an expansion/fast-tracking of what they're doing now, and/or they could work some of the stuff into some sort of general "Bedroom Tapes" sort of set (where the title would be a *very loose* catch-all for Brian stuff).
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 02:12:43 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
kennyhasbeenfound
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2020, 06:37:40 PM »

No offense to anyone involved, but I agree that a new mix of Surf's Up is welcome.  The album always sounded odd to me- echoey like it was coming from the bottom of a swimming pool or through a glass of water.

"Shut up you guys"- Carl Wilson.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2020, 10:42:54 PM »

I think hearing the vocals-only mix of "This Whole World" on MIC was pretty important, and hearing the backing track and all that buried stuff in there may be even more important. I don't know that those albums need full front-to-back vocals-only or backing track-only treatments. But a few specific tracks are pretty integral.

As for the Brian/Dennis sessions, if we're talking the home recordings (Hamburger/Cocaine Tapes), then yeah, there's no way that full tape would ever be released. It's unlikely anything would ever be used, though I suppose it's not impossible they could pluck out an edited, cleaned-up couple of minutes for "Oh Lord" or something as a part of a larger concept set.

If we're talking studio sessions, I'm not sure what else is specifically Brian/Dennis besides "Stevie" from the early 80s. Certainly "Stevie" seems up to "releasable" quality in an archival set.

The main roadblock is finding a context for 80s tracks. They're nowhere near copyright extension for 80s stuff, so it would have to be an expansion/fast-tracking of what they're doing now, and/or they could work some of the stuff into some sort of general "Bedroom Tapes" sort of set (where the title would be a *very loose* catch-all for Brian stuff).
I agree. Especially since most of the BBs 80s material isn’t exactly well respected.
Maybe if we ever get a SC / SIP release, they could include some other 80/90s stuff
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2020, 01:47:56 AM »

I'm kind of surprised that "Stevie" from the Brian and Dennis sessions hasn't been released yet. It seems to be well liked from pretty much everybody in the fan base.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2020, 06:52:24 AM »

It would certainly be cool to hear some fresh remixes of "Sunflower" and "Surf's Up", especially the former. I'd love to hear some dry, but still warm remixes of stuff like "All I Wanna Do" as an alternate way to hear the stuff.

Those multis sound so clean, so much like they were recorded yesterday, that it would be great, as a new alternative way to hear the material (and to make this eventual box much more enticing than just remastering the original mixes), to hear this stuff remixed and have everything a bit more dry and up front and clean.

I really think, as well, this would make the set much more relevant to an even wider audience. This could truly mirror the recent Pepper/White Album/Abbey Road Beatles sets, where the *new* remix is the centerpiece around which TONS of outtakes can be included.

The BBs have such a huge archive, and not just huge, but perhaps the last truly untapped (or barely tapped) archive of material, especially from the 70/71 era, and a nice substantive boxed set with a remix of both albums plus ample outtakes would truly raise the profile and understanding and reverence for this era in their career, and for the band in general.

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense not just for fans, but from a marketing angle to remix both albums. An album remix gives the entire set some context, but also a good entry-point for how to sell the thing. It would also perhaps help to set a precedent that future releases could follow. A disc with remixes of "So Tough" and "Holland" down the line could be a great way to justify outtakes from those albums/eras as well, and they could go on down the line to later albums (even if it eventually becomes a digital-only thing if needed).

DeanEntwistle
Smiley Smile Associate

Hey! https://soundcloud.com/deanentwistletwo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2020, 07:05:33 AM »

It would certainly be cool to hear some fresh remixes of "Sunflower" and "Surf's Up", especially the former. I'd love to hear some dry, but still warm remixes of stuff like "All I Wanna Do" as an alternate way to hear the stuff.

Those multis sound so clean, so much like they were recorded yesterday, that it would be great, as a new alternative way to hear the material (and to make this eventual box much more enticing than just remastering the original mixes), to hear this stuff remixed and have everything a bit more dry and up front and clean.

I really think, as well, this would make the set much more relevant to an even wider audience. This could truly mirror the recent Pepper/White Album/Abbey Road Beatles sets, where the *new* remix is the centerpiece around which TONS of outtakes can be included.

The BBs have such a huge archive, and not just huge, but perhaps the last truly untapped (or barely tapped) archive of material, especially from the 70/71 era, and a nice substantive boxed set with a remix of both albums plus ample outtakes would truly raise the profile and understanding and reverence for this era in their career, and for the band in general.

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense not just for fans, but from a marketing angle to remix both albums. An album remix gives the entire set some context, but also a good entry-point for how to sell the thing. It would also perhaps help to set a precedent that future releases could follow. A disc with remixes of "So Tough" and "Holland" down the line could be a great way to justify outtakes from those albums/eras as well, and they could go on down the line to later albums (even if it eventually becomes a digital-only thing if needed).
I'd like to hear the different sections of Soulful Old Man Sunshine, the improv of You Never Give Me Your Money and Rasperries, Strawberries
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2020, 09:46:25 AM »

I'd like to hear the different sections of Soulful Old Man Sunshine, the improv of You Never Give Me Your Money and Rasperries, Strawberries
I just really want a new mix of long promised Road. The current mix is terrible. Carl’s voice sounds like it was recorded on a crappy 90s camcorder, and it always sounds like it’s distorting. And don’t even get me started on the back track.
This fan mix is way better:
https://youtu.be/nV7XK7T3508
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx