gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:38:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hey, Mark Linett -- if you still come here -- ur BBs UAD Capitol Chamber presets  (Read 3257 times)
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« on: February 16, 2020, 07:05:36 PM »

While this is specifically aimed at Mark, on the off chance that anybody else is interested (and either way, eventually I'll be discussing this profusely on my youtube) I thought I'd make an open topic of it.

While researching plug-ins for when I'm able to record again, I discovered that Mark did a set of presets for the Universal Audio plugin that emulates Capitol's reverb chambers.  I was able to preview some of them, and some other chamber settings within the plug in.

I have to say that I am really impressed with how far these emulations and plug-ins have come, and Mark's sound great.  There are three, I think, that are specially Beach Boys influenced; a Beach Boys vocal, and then two "God Only Knows Vocal" settings.

So, well done, Mark.  A few questions, if you read this and care to respond.  Hello by the way, either way.

First, how did you go about selecting the settings for the presets?  And what was it like working with UA?  They seem to be doing the digital thing right, with a keen sense of authenticity and a sensitivity to detail and legacy.  I am really coming around on the plug-ins!

Second, I heard some rumors back in the day that some Beach Boys stuff was mixed at Capitol even after they started using the indies.  Any truth to that?

Third, I assume you approve of and rate the Capitol plug-in; how do you feel about the Ocean Way rooms emulation?  And then leaving UA, I'm wondering if you've had a chance to experiment with the EastWest "spaces" emulation of Western's rooms, plates, and chambers--and likewise, have you gotten a preview of IK's forthcoming Sunset Sound room and reverb emulations?

To the rest of you--it's pretty interesting that in theory, we can use, at least as an ersatz substitute, a lot of the great LA spaces to potentially enhance our mixes.  I am especially interested in really being able to try these things, and then demonstrate them to you in the context of a Beach Boys production, and then we can all hear what we think.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 06:28:39 AM »

I so badly want to try the UAD Capitol Chambers plugin...

I've been using East West "Spaces" plugin almost exclusively for reverb recently- it's a delight to use. It emulates the reverb sound Brian got at Western quite well.
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 09:01:26 AM »

Hello and thanks for the comments.

I think the Capitol chambers UA plugin is great and I also use the Oceanway Rooms quite often . I created the presets for the chambers to be similar to what I've used for many years with Altiverb samples of most of the echo chambers that still exist in LA.

BTW there is a great new plugin coming soon from IK Multimedia that emulates all three studios at Sunset Sound where the group recorded in 69 and the early 70's and where we recorded Brian Wilson Presents Smile.

I been lucky to have gotten a Beta version of the plug, and think it is one of the most useful both the reverbs and the room emulations.

Read about it here:
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/trsunsetsound/?pkey=t-racks-single-sunset-sound

Regarding the Beach Boys mixing at Capitol...... much of 20-20 was mixed there, but offhand I'm not aware of much else, and except for the sessions for the first LP, they almost never recorded there. For whatever reason the group did very little at the Capitol Tower even after they began using other studios besides Western and Goldstar in the late 60's. and early 70's.  Sunset, ID Sound and Valentine Studios were used a lot during that time as was Goldstar. And in 65 and 66 they did vocals and mixed at CBS in LA because the studio had the very first 8 track tape deck in Los Angeles.

Hope that helps........Mark

Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 01:39:20 PM »

That is helpful, Mark.  Hearing such positive words from someone like you, who has spent so much time in the original spaces, is a tremendous endorsement.  I’m very looking forward to getting my hands on these things.

Also good to hear from someone who has used the EastWest western emulations.  Thanks, Nate.  Interesting that they’ve not done a Western 3 emulation. I would think they could ride that to the bank?

Mark, if you check back in, I remember our discussion from years and years ago about how much EMT and Spring reverb was used on BBs records, and how you thought people would be surprised that a lot of what they think is chamber Reverb was actually plate or spring.  I think the UA emulation of the AKG spring take sounds phenomenal on their demo tracks.  Easy to hear why you might want to use that!

So, Mark, in your view, are we pretty close to a place where digital emulations truly bring an authentic emotional resonance to their analog inspirations?  That I can track a 545 through a UA-610a in United B using sunset sound’s chamber is pretty thrilling but does this stuff have the ability to encode the same humanity unto the medium that the analog originator does??
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 02:38:37 PM »

I misspoke in y previous post..... the "spaces" program on UAD is not East West but Oceanway (now United) Studios A & B just up the street from East-West (formerly Western) Studios .

The only samples I know of from East West are a couple of the echo chambers which can be found in Altiverb.

d
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 03:38:32 PM »

http://www.soundsonline.com/spaces-II

They’ve packaged it with a bunch of unusable stuff, but there’s emulations of Western 1 and 2, plus some old plates that were in the inventory and some chambers.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2020, 07:28:06 AM »

Mark, if you’re still around, how do you rate UAD’s tape emulators, the Studer and the Ampex?  Do they really feel like tape?

Also, to get away from plug-ins for a second, I have a question about how a session at Western circa 65 would have been routed when tape slap was involved.  The only effect send was the “echo send” so was it typical to just patch the tape delay tape deck into the chain BEFORE the reverb effect on the “echo send”?  So the tape slap would hit the chamber or plate or tank, and then that would get dumped out to the corresponding program bus?

Thanks.  I looked through our discussions in the past and couldn’t find this discussed!

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx