gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:06:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love and his band to perform on Mike Huckabee TV special.  (Read 4651 times)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 14, 2020, 01:46:16 PM »

Mike continuing to exploit The Beach Boys name while associating with awful right-wing personalities.

This is so f***ed up.

https://www.facebook.com/8216394139/posts/10157988525704140/?d=n

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 03:42:28 PM »

Mike continuing to exploit The Beach Boys name while associating with awful right-wing personalities.

This is so f***ed up.

Mike, continuing to sh*t on the legacy and sh*t in the soup. This is like the brand has an awful, recurring case of VD. Yeah, that's a crude thing to say, and I don't care because I'm pissed as hell that my favorite band has been hijacked, and it's becoming more and more of an embarrassment to be a fan.

At minimum, BRI should be able to wrestle control of "The Beach Boys" Facebook page away from Mike and omit Mike's political tie-ins with the brand from appearing on the FB page. Right??

No way his contract in 1998 had any provisions for running social media accounts.

The only good thing about this post on "The Beach Boys" page is that there isn't some minimum wage lackey hired to hit the delete button on all of the comments. Or at least not yet.

Who the hell is running this "Beach Boys" Facebook page anyhow? The last post before this Huckabee crap one was a "Happy Valentine's Day from the Beach Boys" post with God Only Knows audio, and right before that, it was a "throwback" photo of the 2012 lineup, which only serves to drive home the point that the "band" playing on Huckabee is not the same band...

God Only Knows how many happy fans there would be if Mike had less and less and less control of the brand. How about a F*CK TON?

Talk about brand confusion. 3/5 of that 2012 lineup that was just posted is opposed to the brand being hijacked, and it comes across like this is all some sick, intentional joke to sink the brand and piss off/confuse people, but make MAGA fans gleeful. Un-friggin-belivable how ineptly that FB page is being handled.

The powers that be REALLY need to step in and do something in order to neuter Mike and the minimize damage he's hell-bent on inflecting on the brand in whatever way(s) that they can. Let Mike promote whatever nonsense he wants to promote on his own lame FB page.

At least barring Mike from promoting political-tinged crap on the "BBs" FB social media thing could be a step. Keep politics out of the sphere of the brand, especially at this divided, fractured moment in time.

For every dollar that Mike is pulling in for getting people to attend his shows, he's also getting many more dollars of people who will stop listening to the band, siphoned away from the brand and all its shareholders. Ruining the brand. So, yeah...  
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 04:25:58 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 06:11:38 PM »

This is so f***ed up.

To be fair, I'd be just as annoyed for "The Beach Boys" to be appearing on awful left-wing shows as I am this one.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 06:33:19 PM »

This is so f***ed up.

To be fair, I'd be just as annoyed for "The Beach Boys" to be appearing on awful left-wing shows as I am this one.
I'd like to see Brian and Al guest on the Thom Hartmann show.
positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 07:01:39 PM »

I'd prefer all camps stay out of politics of any kind in any "official" capacity.

I'm a Libertarian, but I still wouldn't be comfortable with them actively campaigning for their candidates.

I very much like to keep the art and politics separate.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 07:03:05 PM »

This is so f***ed up.

Serious question. Who would be the left-wing equivalent of Mike Huckabee? I don’t know of any far-left former politicians now hosting a talk show with an audience.

positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2020, 07:19:45 PM »

This is so f***ed up.

Serious question. Who would be the left-wing equivalent of Mike Huckabee? I don’t know of any far-left former politicians now hosting a talk show with an audience.

Honestly, I haven't had cable in over 7 years, so I don't know that answer.

I was just speaking generally. It just seems, at times, that the board can get a little politically polarized. Whereas, I would like to keep them separate altogether.

And, this isn't meant to be against any person or position, in particular. I hate Democrats as much as I do Republicans. The trophy hunters were bad enough, even without Jr.'s involvement. Just like it would be gross for them to be on any self-serving, pompous politician's show. Not, just a right-wing one.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2020, 08:39:33 PM »

What did this politician called Mike Huckabee do to make Mike's association with him somewhat offensive?

I'm not familiar with US politics, could anyone fill me in on this?
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2020, 09:21:51 PM »

What did this politician called Mike Huckabee do to make Mike's association with him somewhat offensive?

Huckabee, a far-right wing preacher, was the former governor of Arkansas and is a failed 2-time Presidential candidate. His daughter Sarah was Trump’s former press secretary.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2020, 11:31:34 PM »

Huckabee, a far-right wing preacher, was the former governor of Arkansas and is a failed 2-time Presidential candidate. His daughter Sarah was Trump’s former press secretary.
Hmm, thanks.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2020, 03:43:57 AM »

This is so f***ed up.

Yes, I wouldn't know of any off the top of my head. But any kind of extremism is bad. The right wing in the US certainly seems to be on a up thanks to Trump being president, but not only since then (remember the whole Tea Party movement).
The Beach Boys under Mike's leadership, ever since being dubbed "America's band" which mostly meant being part of the conservative side, have mostly tried to stay in that circle if you look at it. In a democracy everyone is entitled to his or her political opinion of course, and there certainly is nothing wrong with conservatism. But since the conservative party of the US drifted into right wing extremism, or more factual: was undercut by it, there is a risk with connecting too much with those circles. The reason is that in these times you get called upon your principles. You can't just follow party line because the leaders of the party obviously only care about the law and humanity as long as if helps their power grab. (Or in short to quote Rick Wilson: "Everything Trump touches dies")
Now, obviously Mike and Trump have some common characteristics. I have no doubt though, that Mike for one can have real empathy. But the narcisstic side of him is very strong as well. Combined with the need to fill the whole inside him with adoration by people, this can become quite dangerous. It's of course not as dangerous if you are a singer of a band, but if you're president it looks differently, especially if you're need to make yourself the center of everything knows no boundaries.
Therefore it is really terrible and sad from a personal side to see Mike suck up to everything Trump and right wing and from a fan-side him using the Beach Boys' name for that. Mike seems to be pretty empty, in spite of all he has achieved in his lifetime. The problem then is: he needs the name to get in there (his own name is not such a brand) and he needs to be in there, because he needs that kind of blind adoration that you get from these people as long as you follow their world-view.
This is not only possible in right-wing circles but just as much in other exremist groups. But as mentioned, right now I can't think of any left-wing group that is dominating the US media as much as the right-wing.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Senator Blutarsky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2020, 04:57:39 AM »

The Safari Club show was much more of a big deal than this.  Huckabee's show is now on a obscure cable TV station, I dont remember which one.   

No one gets pissed off when someone performs on Colbert's version of the Tonight show for example, and we all know where he is politically. 
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2020, 07:09:01 AM »

The Safari Club show was much more of a big deal than this.  Huckabee's show is now on a obscure cable TV station, I dont remember which one.   

No one gets pissed off when someone performs on Colbert's version of the Tonight show for example, and we all know where he is politically. 

Agreed.  Huckabee is the former governor of a state, and, as far as I know, the guy isn't breaking any laws or promoting cruelty to animals.  He's a C-list player in politics and has an obscure TV show that most of us (including me) have never watched or had any interest in watching, but if Mike Love wants to do his show, it doesn't seem like a big deal.  Let's not hyperventilate every time Mike & Co. associate with someone with different political views than our own.

A significant chunk of Americans didn't like or vote for Ronald Reagan, yet dial it back to 1983 and there's our beloved Wilson brothers, all three of them, on stage with the Reagans. There's Dennis Wilson hugging Nancy.  There's Brian shaking hands with Ron. A gig is a gig.  No big deal.

The Safari Club thing is different.   The idea of promoting "canned" hunts where people go out and shoot bred-in-captivity lions etc. is so beyond the pale that most people, regardless of political persuasion, are genuinely shocked by it.
BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2020, 08:24:40 AM »

So do people have any actual facts when they are saying Mike controls the Facebook page, because I'm guessing they don't?

Much like the Twitter page (with which the contents is nearly always identical), it is almost certainly just someone at Universal. It shares posts from Brian. It shares posts from Mike. It shares posts from Al. It posts Universal Music articles. It posts links to songs.

It's clearly not just Mike sitting on his sofa in his underwear.

Just because you don't like it it doesn't mean Mike is behind it.

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2020, 09:30:54 AM »

Agreed.  Huckabee is the former governor of a state, and, as far as I know, the guy isn't breaking any laws or promoting cruelty to animals.  He's a C-list player in politics and has an obscure TV show that most of us (including me) have never watched or had any interest in watching, but if Mike Love wants to do his show, it doesn't seem like a big deal.  Let's not hyperventilate every time Mike & Co. associate with someone with different political views than our own.

Huckabee is deeply and openly racist and homophobic. This is not a political position. I don’t understand how people can excuse gross behavior as political views. So yes, I think it’s wrong for The Beach Boys to be associating with him.

juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2020, 09:52:00 AM »

Huckabee is deeply and openly racist and homophobic. This is not a political position. I don’t understand how people can excuse gross behavior as political views. So yes, I think it’s wrong for The Beach Boys to be associating with him.

Well, as I said, I don't watch his show.  And I've never watched his show, and I have no interest in watching his show.  I do remember that he tried to run for president a time or two, but he didn't make much of an impression on me, so I've got to plead ignorance on what you refer to as his "open racism and homophobia."  I have no idea what you're referring to. Can you cite a few example of what he's doing?  Using the n-word?  Arguing for shipping blacks to Africa?  Re-resegregation of hotels and lunch counters?  Calling for gays to be imprisoned or castrated?  Help me out here.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 09:53:16 AM by juggler » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2020, 10:44:41 AM »

Do you mind if we just don’t go there please?
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2020, 10:53:39 AM »

So do people have any actual facts when they are saying Mike controls the Facebook page, because I'm guessing they don't?

Much like the Twitter page (with which the contents is nearly always identical), it is almost certainly just someone at Universal. It shares posts from Brian. It shares posts from Mike. It shares posts from Al. It posts Universal Music articles. It posts links to songs.

It's clearly not just Mike sitting on his sofa in his underwear.

Just because you don't like it it doesn't mean Mike is behind it.

It's been a pattern for the past 5-6 years, though, with nearly all of Mike's social media outlets. At this point in time, almost all of Mike's accounts are either heavily moderated and censored, or they are locked down entirely and not open to fan comments. Or, and perhaps even worse, they are filtered to make it look like Mike and his actions have 100% support from the fan base and only positive, glowing comments are shown on the public pages. It's a whitewash.

Maybe people who weren't following wouldn't remember, but at one point on Mike's YouTube page someone who was in a management position started mixing it up with fans in the comments section and it turned into a battle before all fan comments were locked and closed. Since then, and seen especially with his solo releases, more often than not Mike's YouTube page blocks fan comments. Now since the SCI dust-up, as anyone can see, all of these pages connected to Mike are either filtering out every comment except for the most positive supportive posts, or locking down all comments so no one can post.

Let me say again: That is exactly the kind of censored and overly monitored/filtered atmosphere some specific entities were pushing for this board to turn into, and yes - it was specific to comments critical of Mike that was the main issue. It got to the point where we were contacted and asked for personal information on a member for an "interested party". The information was not given.

The issue of "The Beach Boys" Facebook account has been raised before. In the past there have been lines blurred between the page's existence for The Beach Boys as the legacy band and brand, and Mike's touring licensed group. Contests, promos, etc...things specific to Mike. I don't recall all the details, some of it at this point was 5 years ago. But it was unusual enough that others did raise it as an issue.

Do people really think Mike himself is sitting around in a robe and slippers in the morning deleting comments? Obviously not, it's satire. But when "The Beach Boys" account starts acting exactly like Mike Love's accounts with the censorship and lockdowns in the face of critical fan reaction, factoring in the past questions about content, of course people would raise questions about who is running this stuff and how it's being run.

Interestingly, just yesterday, I heard a radio promo for one of Mike's Beach Boys shows coming to the area. At  the end of the spot, it mentioned both The Beach Boys and Mike Love online sites for info on promos and giveaways. I had *never* heard both "accounts" given that way for a Beach Boys show. And Mike comes to this area every year with related promos airing every time.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2020, 12:31:18 PM »

I guess I was delusional hoping that ML would get so old, tired and rich that he might leave us in peace.

Shame on me.

I have no idea what might ever please him - being as talented and beloved as Brian? I doubt that would even do it.

He's not my problem, but I wish he would stop defiling the foundation of the BB's music that came from love and healing from difficult family circumstances.

With this upcoming election year, I'm sure he'll be even more into power grabs than before.

All we can do is speak up, as best I can tell.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2020, 07:14:01 PM »

Decided to watch the show. I taped it so that I could fast forward non Beach Boys segments.
Glad I taped as the Mike/Bruce didn’t come on until near the end. Heard Huckabee’s opening remarks and I wanted to throw something at the TV. But this isn’t the Politics thread so I will leave it at that.
Finally there was the interview segment with Mike and Bruce. Thankfully no political talk (other than Mike saying he watches the show regularly). Mike gave a decent interview, nothing new. Talked about writing lyrics to GV while riding to the studio. Friendly competition with the Beatles. How Chuck Berry influenced Mikes lyrics writing - gave example of Fun Fun Fun.
Bruce was interviewed briefly. It was pointed out that he wrote I Write the Songs. He explained that the “I” was God.
Then they sang Surfin Safari and Barbara Ann with the band. Bruce wasn’t at a keyboard. I thought they sounded pretty good.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 07:16:29 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2020, 11:25:07 PM »

Decided to watch the show. I taped it so that I could fast forward non Beach Boys segments.
Glad I taped as the Mike/Bruce didn’t come on until near the end. Heard Huckabee’s opening remarks and I wanted to throw something at the TV. But this isn’t the Politics thread so I will leave it at that.
Finally there was the interview segment with Mike and Bruce. Thankfully no political talk (other than Mike saying he watches the show regularly). Mike gave a decent interview, nothing new. Talked about writing lyrics to GV while riding to the studio. Friendly competition with the Beatles. How Chuck Berry influenced Mikes lyrics writing - gave example of Fun Fun Fun.
Bruce was interviewed briefly. It was pointed out that he wrote I Write the Songs. He explained that the “I” was God.
Then they sang Surfin Safari and Barbara Ann with the band. Bruce wasn’t at a keyboard. I thought they sounded pretty good.
I don't watch the show, but I know Peter Noone has been on there once or twice. I don't think he was doing anything political - just singing some Herman's Hermits songs for a crowd that appreciates them.
Senator Blutarsky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2020, 02:48:04 PM »

Maybe he has some opinions against same sex marriage due to his religious beliefs I'm assuming, but Ive never heard anything about him being openly racist.   
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx