gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:49:45 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Current fate of instruments used on vintage BBs recordings  (Read 3115 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 12, 2020, 01:02:25 PM »

Has anyone ever attempted to log the whereabouts of the various instruments used on BBs recordings? I'm sure that some are accounted for, and that the fate of many others is unknown.

Also, I figure there must be some instruments that were used on some very classic BBs recordings that are likely sitting in someone's garage, unknown to the owner of the history. 
DeanEntwistle
Smiley Smile Associate

Hey! https://soundcloud.com/deanentwistletwo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 04:00:33 PM »

According to Brian in 2015-ish, the Baldwin organ used in Le'id in Hawaii and in the Bellagio studio is likely to be stored in one of their storages.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 04:59:55 PM »

Ray Pohlman's niece has his Fender bass.  She has posted pics of it to social media.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 05:15:07 PM »

Ray Pohlman's niece has his Fender bass.  She has posted pics of it to social media.

Actually I think Ray's Wife still has the bass, but his niece was able to photograph it:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,26773.0.html

I suspect this is the kind of thing that happened with most studio musician instruments.  Either their families still have them, they are in museums in the case of the more prominent players, or they get auctioned off.  And of course a lot of it is truly out there with forgotten provenance.  In the case of the Beach Boys gear, either it was stolen or they still have it around somewhere (in storage), or they sold it off.
DeanEntwistle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 03:01:39 PM »

Ray Pohlman's niece has his Fender bass.  She has posted pics of it to social media.

Actually I think Ray's Wife still has the bass, but his niece was able to photograph it:

I suspect this is the kind of thing that happened with most studio musician instruments.  Either their families still have them, they are in museums in the case of the more prominent players, or they get auctioned off.  And of course a lot of it is truly out there with forgotten provenance.  In the case of the Beach Boys gear, either it was stolen or they still have it around somewhere (in storage), or they sold it off.
It's so sad to know that the fate of most iconic instruments used by the Boys and by sidemen (or sidewoman in the case of Carol Kaye) stays in a simple unknown or lost status/fate.

IIRC, Carol used to trade her instruments in order to avoid changing the strings (i read that on a Facebook status posted by her some weeks ago) so it's possible that most of her iconic instrumens are wandering around from hand to hand of collectors or in pawn shops
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 07:30:32 AM by DeanEntwistle » Logged
The Nearest Faraway Place
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2020, 04:38:55 PM »

What about Denny's Drums?
DeanEntwistle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2020, 06:33:38 PM »

IIRC, Scott Wilson has a drum set used on the 60's by his dad
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 07:29:55 AM by DeanEntwistle » Logged
The Nearest Faraway Place
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2020, 09:19:02 PM »

IRRC, Scott Wilson has a drum set used on the 60's by his dad
But is it the exact set used on the track Denny's Drums?
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2020, 03:11:22 AM »

Brian's white precision bass? Where did that go?
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2020, 06:33:13 AM »

Over the years I’ve read about several vintage things stored at Al’s barn including the boat set from the mid 70s, a set of Dennis’s drums , and the white Yamaha piano.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2020, 12:02:30 PM »

Over the years I’ve read about several vintage things stored at Al’s barn including the boat set from the mid 70s, a set of Dennis’s drums , and the white Yamaha piano.

Yes, I believe the white baby grand Al can be seen playing in recent videos (like 1998's documentary "Endless Harmony" and the little clip of him singing rehearsing his part on "Meant For You" prior to last fall's tour) is the white Yamaha Brian played on stage from the late '70s to the early '80s. In a fall 1982 BBFUN interview, Al stated they had retired that piano from the stage and were setting it up in Al's studio. So any white baby grand piano seen onstage after that would presumably be a different one.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 12:08:07 PM by c-man » Logged
DeanEntwistle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2020, 03:05:11 PM »

Brian's white precision bass? Where did that go?
That bass was stolen on the road in the mid-60's, I would say in the late 66 to mid-67
DeanEntwistle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2020, 03:06:30 PM »

IRRC, Scott Wilson has a drum set used on the 60's by his dad
But is it the exact set used on the track Denny's Drums?
I don't know, maybe he used a studio drum kit for that improv
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2020, 06:29:36 AM »

I suspect this is the kind of thing that happened with most studio musician instruments.  Either their families still have them, they are in museums in the case of the more prominent players, or they get auctioned off.  And of course a lot of it is truly out there with forgotten provenance.  In the case of the Beach Boys gear, either it was stolen or they still have it around somewhere (in storage), or they sold it off.
It's so sad to know that the fate of most iconic instruments used by the Boys and by sidemen (or sidewoman in the case of Carol Kaye) stays in a simple unknown or lost status/fate.

IRRC, Carol used to trade her instruments in order to avoid changing the strings (i read that on a Facebook status posted by her some weeks ago) so it's possible that most of her iconic instrumens are wandering around from hand to hand of collectors or in pawn shops

You do recall correctly.  It strikes me as a strange way to do it, but then, Carol Kaye has always done things her own way.  She says she was too busy to change strings but that’s kind of silly, you could do it in 10 minutes, or drop it off overnight or something.  I wonder if she traded in as much as she says?  And I wonder if it had more to do with getting an instrument with strings that had been under tension for a bit?  New flatwounds are almost unrecordable in my opinion.

She also made the eccentric decision to convert her Guild Slim Jim cutaway into a 12-string, rather than buy a bellzouki.  Tells you how little the pros thought of that instrument.  It obviously worked ok because she never upgraded to a properly designed electric 12.  And thanks to that, her 12-sting guild is one of the very few electric 12s we can know for a fact, heck it’s one of the very few exact guitars, period, we can know for a fact is the guitar on certain BBs tracks!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2020, 07:29:38 PM »

Kind of related. Carnie Wilson said she has the piano used by Brian while writing Good Vibrations (and others I’m sure). She tells a story of Elton John trying to buy it from her dad at about 3.30.

https://youtu.be/N_LNEbRbbMk
Mark H.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2020, 11:46:48 AM »

I recall Brian's Chickering piano up for sale in the late 70s via BBFUN.  It sold but I forgot to whom.  I wonder if this is the instrument Carnie has?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2020, 06:41:38 PM »

I recall Brian's Chickering piano up for sale in the late 70s via BBFUN.  It sold but I forgot to whom.  I wonder if this is the instrument Carnie has?

I seem to recall it described in BBFUN as the instrument Brian used to write Pet Sounds.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx