gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
655371 Posts in 26184 Topics by 3725 Members - Latest Member: suitable_rasberry February 23, 2020, 09:34:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Current fate of instruments used on vintage BBs recordings  (Read 443 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 12, 2020, 01:02:25 PM »

Has anyone ever attempted to log the whereabouts of the various instruments used on BBs recordings? I'm sure that some are accounted for, and that the fate of many others is unknown.

Also, I figure there must be some instruments that were used on some very classic BBs recordings that are likely sitting in someone's garage, unknown to the owner of the history. 
DeanEntwistle
Smiley Smile Associate

Hey, hey, hey!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 04:00:33 PM »

According to Brian in 2015-ish, the Baldwin organ used in Le'id in Hawaii and in the Bellagio studio is likely to be stored in one of their storages.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 04:59:55 PM »

Ray Pohlman's niece has his Fender bass.  She has posted pics of it to social media.
aeijtzsche
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 05:15:07 PM »

Ray Pohlman's niece has his Fender bass.  She has posted pics of it to social media.

Actually I think Ray's Wife still has the bass, but his niece was able to photograph it:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,26773.0.html

I suspect this is the kind of thing that happened with most studio musician instruments.  Either their families still have them, they are in museums in the case of the more prominent players, or they get auctioned off.  And of course a lot of it is truly out there with forgotten provenance.  In the case of the Beach Boys gear, either it was stolen or they still have it around somewhere (in storage), or they sold it off.
DeanEntwistle
Smiley Smile Associate

Hey, hey, hey!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 03:01:39 PM »

Actually I think Ray's Wife still has the bass, but his niece was able to photograph it:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,26773.0.html

I suspect this is the kind of thing that happened with most studio musician instruments.  Either their families still have them, they are in museums in the case of the more prominent players, or they get auctioned off.  And of course a lot of it is truly out there with forgotten provenance.  In the case of the Beach Boys gear, either it was stolen or they still have it around somewhere (in storage), or they sold it off.
It's so sad to know that the fate of most iconic instruments used by the Boys and by sidemen (or sidewoman in the case of Carol Kaye) stays in a simple unknown or lost status/fate.

IRRC, Carol used to trade her instruments in order to avoid changing the strings (i read that on a Facebook status posted by her some weeks ago) so it's possible that most of her iconic instrumens are wandering around from hand to hand of collectors or in pawn shops
The Nearest Faraway Place
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 04:38:55 PM »

What about Denny's Drums?
DeanEntwistle
Smiley Smile Associate

Hey, hey, hey!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 06:33:38 PM »

IRRC, Scott Wilson has a drum set used on the 60's by his dad
The Nearest Faraway Place
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 09:19:02 PM »

IRRC, Scott Wilson has a drum set used on the 60's by his dad
But is it the exact set used on the track Denny's Drums?
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Today at 03:11:22 AM »

Brian's white precision bass? Where did that go?
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Today at 06:33:13 AM »

Over the years Iíve read about several vintage things stored at Alís barn including the boat set from the mid 70s, a set of Dennisís drums , and the white Yamaha piano.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx