gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 06:45:09 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which 70s albums will get full box sets, and which will just get digital dumps  (Read 1524 times)
The Nearest Faraway Place
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 10, 2020, 04:23:44 PM »

For the 60s albums, Pet Sounds, Smile, Smiley Smile and Wild Honey were all represented on full box sets. Meanwhile, several other albums just got digital dumps at the end of their respective years.
For the 70s, obviously we are getting the Sunflower and Surfs Up set. But honestly, the only other full box set I could see as a possibility is a 1977 Love You / Adult Child set.
I feel like CATP and Holland will just get copyright digital dumps at the end of 2021 and 2022, 15 Big ones getting a copyright in 2026, and Marry Christmas / MIU / L.A getting one in 2028. I just don’t think BRI will promote any of these
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 04:26:36 PM by The Nearest Faraway Place » Logged
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 04:44:06 PM »

I think they’ll probably grab the best stuff through Holland for this upcoming Feel Flows deal. After that, I could see a live set, then a “Brian’s Back” comp. I’d say that’s about it to be honest.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 04:44:54 PM by DonnyL » Logged

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 06:12:13 PM »

I cannot see any interest in MIU/LA Light/Keepin The Summer Alive deluxe editions because they just are not and were not very good albums to begin with, and are mostly forgotten because there was nothing really unique about any of them. The only interest outside the hardcore collector base would be the material Brian was writing and recording in 1976/77, like the Love You demos and the big-band material. Put that material in the right context with improved sound, market it the right way, and there would be an audience out of curiosity. The rest is disposable IMO.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 06:54:58 PM »

In the Q&A session on Discord last year, Alan Boyd and Mark Linett talked about the future archival releases http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?topic=26378.0:

lando
I’m gonna ask my question real quick since I have to go in a bit: How do you both see future album rarities getting released, especially for less well received albums? For instance, will we have to wait until 2035 to hear Beach Boys 85 outtakes, or until 2062 for That’s Why God Made The Radio outtakes?

Mark
as far as the much later albums, its not likely we'd get much into those anytime soon since the 50 year stuff is a priority, but you never know when an overall project might make something feasible sooner

Alan
As for future releases.... it's hard to say what Capitol will decide to do. The good thing about the new copyright extension legislation from the UK and Europe is that it kinda forces the label and the group to be proactive about releasing previously unreleased outtakes in order to keep the recordings from falling into the public domain over there.

I would loooooove to do a "Brian's Back" set covering 1976-1977. 15 Big Ones through the MIU Sessions

My guess is that the higher priority for now is going to be SUNFLOWER thru HOLLAND, partly because of the impending copyright issues on the unreleased tracks. LOVE YOU and ADULT CHILD are probably a bit further down the road.

ihatepuns
Oh one more question from me; might we one day see an official release of the original single LP of the In Concert album?

Mark
I think a In Concert box is a possibility at some point. We have lots of unreleased shows from that project

So I'd say, apart from Sunflower/Surf's Up box set, "Brian's Back" set covering 15BO to MIU and In Concert box set could happen in the future.

CATP and Holland would be more tricky, but considering they have convinced the record company to put out archival stuff from Party! and Wild Honey sessions on CD, the same might  happen with these albums, too.

I don't see potential box set releases with LA, KTSA and BB85, honestly. Heck, they would probably have a hard time convincing them to put these stuff even on digital, and I'd be disappointed if that was the case as I believe there are some interesting stuff even with these albums.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 07:01:43 PM by Wata » Logged
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 11:32:05 PM »

Would love to see the Love You backing tracks released in one way or another. 15 Big Ones could use a proper remix. I think a 15BO/Love You/Adult Child set might actually work.
The Nearest Faraway Place
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 10:33:16 AM »

I cannot see any interest in MIU/LA Light/Keepin The Summer Alive deluxe editions because they just are not and were not very good albums to begin with, and are mostly forgotten because there was nothing really unique about any of them. The only interest outside the hardcore collector base would be the material Brian was writing and recording in 1976/77, like the Love You demos and the big-band material. Put that material in the right context with improved sound, market it the right way, and there would be an audience out of curiosity. The rest is disposable IMO.
I don’t know, I think they would have to release something, because these albums are still valuable because their part of the catalog.
Also, L.A Light is extremely underrated, and actually performed pretty well for the late 70s. They had a top 10  hit over in the UK, and a top 40 in the US. So I thought at least digital only
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx