gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 01:02:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Jerry Schilling Book  (Read 2701 times)
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 25, 2006, 07:41:40 PM »

This evening I picked up Jerry Schilling's new book "Me and a Guy Named Elvis." I've only very briefly scanned the book. However I did note several references to his time spent both with the Beach Boys and with Carl as his personal manager. He had some very warrm, heartfelt comments about Carl.

Question....what's the popular opinion of Jerry's time spent with The Beach Boys? Was he an asset or a liability?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 03:56:26 AM »

Well, I like Jerry very much; he's a good guy, also if you're talking about Elvis. But I think he was with the Boys around 1980 and he unfortunately couldn't bring them back to making great music.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 06:47:56 AM »

I think Schilling and Myrna are part of an interesting chapter in the Life of Carl Wilson.

When is that Carl Bio going to be written?
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 08:19:31 AM »

Indeed - when IS that Carl bio going to be written??  We've had several on Brian, and several on Dennis...and nothing on Carl.  It is long past time for this book, all you writers out there!

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Lola Jane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 11:28:42 AM »

Strangely, there aren't even that many websites.  What happened to the forgotten Beach Boy?  Maybe it's a family thing - he was a private person and maybe his memory should remain the same.  Shame, though.
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006, 12:07:26 PM »

He was a private person, but he was a public figure.  Frankly, it's bewildering and more than a little surprising that a biography hasn't been written yet. 

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2006, 01:16:57 PM »

I put this on another thread awhile ago so I just copied it here:

Jerry lasted until mid 1981. Carl retained him as a personal manager until the end of his life. Jerry was really ok as a manager. I remember having to meet with the group in 1981 and Brother Records could not find out where the band was staying in Houston. But, they did have the number to the place in Dallas where they were at. So I called Jerry at 3:30 am (yeah, big mistake). But after he chilled, he thanked me for my interest in the group and actually sent me some promo material later on. So I always liked him.

Bob
[/b]
« Last Edit: August 26, 2006, 01:18:17 PM by petsite » Logged
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2006, 04:11:59 AM »

I'm listening to "What You Do To Me" off of Youngblood as I type this.  I think Myrna Smith was actually a pretty good foil to Carl on some of these cuts.  She had (has?) a really lovely voice.  What's the deal?  Was she's Carl's girlfriend at the time?  I could use a little more of her and little less of Jeff Baxter's awful 80's production on this record.

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2006, 04:22:58 AM »

I'm listening to "What You Do To Me" off of Youngblood as I type this.  I think Myrna Smith was actually a pretty good foil to Carl on some of these cuts.  She had (has?) a really lovely voice.  What's the deal?  Was she's Carl's girlfriend at the time? 

She was married to Jerry Schilling at that time. She sings in the Sweet Inspirations and toured as part of that group with Elvis in the 70s (probably that's where she got to know Jerry)

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx