gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:18:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Please sign petition for Beach Boys to withdraw from performing on 2/5/20  (Read 73940 times)
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: February 21, 2020, 11:16:48 AM »

That piece is just laughable, or it would be if it wasn't so insulting.  The central argument is that all performers do bad stuff.  Great argument!  It's okay to do bad things because lots of people do bad things.  Seriously, I was about to say that this article reads like a fifteen-year old wrote it, but frankly, most teenagers have a better moral compass than this.  The secondary argument is that it's okay to do bad stuff because you need to pad your 401K.  Riiiiiiight. 

But what I loved most was this line:  "Only children, college students, those being supported by their parents or those who have a trust fund have the ability to make perfect fucking politically correct choices. "  Couldn't we add to that list SUPER-RICH music stars dripping in gold rings with massive homes in Lake Tahoe who've actually appeared on Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous?  Is he seriously suggesting that Mike Love faces financial pressures that require him to play gigs for trophy hunters?  Give me a ####ing break. 

Do these people actually believe the drivel they're writing?  Is the thought that their heroes are actually very flawed human beings so upsetting to them that they can't deal with it?  I think it's actually more likely this:  they recognize that Mike playing this SCI show is really crappy.  They don't like it and deep down they must recognize the hypocrisy.  But, when it actually comes down to the wire, does it bother them enough that they're willing to give up the shows, the backstage passes, the perks, etc...? No, it doesn't.  So they have to come up with this absolute nonsense to justify how it's all okay because hey, lots of other artists have played questionable shows too. 

Under different circumstances, I would have liked to go see the touring band, but I won't be doing so now.  My bottom line is that I can't do the mental gymnastics necessary to convince myself that Mike's hypocrisy and greed (and cowardice, in the case of his silence on DJT JR's bullying of Brian) is okay.   

I also don't feel the slightest bit bad discussing this issue and will have none of the fan-blaming that's going on.  I know that, in my case at least, the idea that fans like to have a villain is totally wrong.  I take absolutely no pleasure in this latest Mike debacle; on the contrary, it makes me really sad.  I would much, much prefer that none of it had happened, and I suspect that's the case for just about everyone here. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #501 on: February 21, 2020, 11:45:44 AM »

Sommer with Mike Love in 2018:

Sommer's own picture of Mike's solo album gig in 2017:

Sommer with Mike in 2015:

Here's an article Sommer wrote that's basically formatted the same as his latest Mike Love article. This time, defending John Lydon for praising Trump and Brexit (the argument being that the context or content doesn't really matter, it's just a reality of the industry, in this case, Lydon selling his book):

https://observer.com/2017/04/john-lydon-donald-trump-brexit-comments/

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #502 on: February 21, 2020, 11:54:27 AM »

Not surprisingly considering his BB-related articles, Sommer seems to write often about how politics and music shouldn't be mixed. His targets seem to always be progressive/liberal acts (which, admittedly, make up the vast majority of the field).

He seems to have the typical disdain of a conservative for the likes of Bono, Springsteen, and so on.

Simply put, is Tim Sommer simpatico with Mike due to a shared generally conservative, possibly Trump-supporting view?

It wouldn't be the first time that someone in the rock/music/arts industry (whether artist or journalist/writer) had Trumpian/conservative views but, to avoid being shouted down, simply advocate for art and politics to stay in their separate sandboxes rather than actively just coming out and saying you dig Trump.

These guys all deserve each other. I wish them plenty future chortling sessions back stage before gigs, played for increasingly offensive organizations, all of which Mike has no choice but to play.......

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: February 21, 2020, 11:54:49 AM »

Here's an article Sommer wrote that's basically formatted the same as his latest Mike Love article. This time, defending John Lydon for praising Trump and Brexit (the argument being that the context or content doesn't really matter, it's just a reality of the industry, in this case, Lydon selling his book):

Gotta hand it to the guy, he's found himself a cottage industry.

It's Almost Sommer.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 11:56:53 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #504 on: February 21, 2020, 12:00:31 PM »

Gotta hand it to the guy, he's found himself a cottage industry.

It's Almost Sommer.

The guy's stuff really does read like what would happen if you merged Mike Love's personality with a cranky and acerbic (but not in a funny or endearing way) self-pleasuring rock critic, the type who scoff at the mainstream and champion whatever they think is punk or indie or whatever, but only until they reach in their back pocket for all of their personal favorite that *are* mainstream, but he thinks he's being contrarian by championing them.

It's funny; typically a guy who writes like this would tear Mike Love's show a new one for being a cover band.

It should also be noted that, from what I can tell, one of the outlets Sommer has written for is RealClearLife, which is tied to RealClearPolitics, which is a conservative "news" site.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 12:05:22 PM by HeyJude » Logged

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: February 21, 2020, 12:39:33 PM »

Well, to be fair, Mike showed a love of love and gratitude back in 1981 when confronted regarding the issue of the band playing Sun City:

“It’s nice money.  The U.N. can go screw themselves.  They never buy tickets to Beach Boys concerts."

It’s not inconceivable that Mike looses more in ticket sales this year and in the future, that this one-off private gig payed him. I live in hope. Go see REO Speedwagon instead.
Not to mention any remaining goodwill he may have had for not standing up for his cousin.

Absolutely. The money is one thing… The goodwill is quite another. You can't buy goodwill, and once it's truly gone, it's gone. I will never look at him the same way again. I'm somebody that has stuck up for him many times to fellow fans in person, despite my issues with the guy - I felt it was the right thing to do. Now I couldn't care less. He is a short-sighted, narcissistic fool. Like so many fans, I had given him chance after chance after chance to demonstrate that he deserves such.

That he had the chutzpah to now newly follow up his silence on the president's SOB son trying to publicly humiliate Brian with some babel about showing love and tolerance to everybody is the biggest crock of sh*t I've ever heard of.

Also, where is that blogger addressing Mike staying silent on Don Jr trying to publicly humiliate Brian? Once again, that is brushed under the table, because it's just too inconvenient to talk about it. Because there's no way to defend Mike staying silent on that. None. Absolute ugly hypocrisy.

The man may have done some great work in the past but he most definitely acts like a POS, craps on the legacy, and history will record it as such. Very sad. I'm sure Mike has many moments in his life where he acts like a decent person. I understand that people are complex, and that Mike is not some evil cartoon character.  But truthfully this ugly side of him is too much to take. It's vomit-inducing to think about how many people around him must coddle this behavior, pat him on the head and tell him that the behavior is ok, and somehow not morally bankrupt.

And as Debbie said, the parallels to this wonderful band, and this country, both the really good, and the really shameful and awful, are unbelievably striking. It's worthy of a book being written on the subject.

The letters "POS" are the first three letters in Mr. Positivity.

Vindication is a sweet and sour thing. Sweet in that I knew years ago I had Mike Love figured out. Sour because of his greedy ass behavior and what it's done to the band's legacy. Mike Love is a body covering pockmark on this band for many years and regardless of what he says did in the early days, he's the bad seed that unfortunately had to be affiliated with The Beach Boys.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
jmc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: February 21, 2020, 11:37:16 PM »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN20G06Y

real baby trump was (miraculously) picked to kill a grizzly bear in Alaska.  Thanks, Mike, for supporting this behavior.  It truly represents "The Beach Boys" ....meanwhile the real baby trump stands to get a new rug for his pad.

Will never attend another Mike Bruce show and will discourage all friends and family to do the same.....coming from someone who has been to several shows since 93'.

Peace and ....what evs.
jmc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: February 21, 2020, 11:39:25 PM »

Oh, and the "Safari Club" is referenced in the above weblink.....
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: February 22, 2020, 01:28:18 AM »

I’m rooting for the grizzly.  Wink
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: February 23, 2020, 08:21:06 PM »

I hardly contribute and just read, but adding endless negativity on top of an already horrendous negative situation (SCI gig) does no good. Brian wouldn’t do that. And quite honestly, we don’t know what happens behind closed doors in regards to the band and corporation, and decision making. All we can do is speculate, if we don’t know, and that’s part of the reason why we’re all here - I get it, but it can be done in a cordial manner.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black though. I get that these guys live in the public eye, and everything is magnified, but the endless degrading language has to stop at some point. When do you move on from this, what good does it do? Try to have a more forgiving heart, and focus on the positives of this great band and music made. Wouldn’t you want to be afforded the same opportunity? I think we are all codependent to some extent on there always being a villain in this band, someone to blame. I’m definitely guilty of that at times.
The sad truth is, the majority of posters here have hated Mike for a long time and events like this just give them one more reason to hate him. Does Mike care? No. Does he lay awake at night, worrying about what the Brian lovers over at Smiley Smile are saying about him? No. He knows they don't like him anyway. They're not the people attending his concerts or buying his cd's.
That's why it's never made sense that the same people were angry about C50 ending. Brian, Al, Blondie, and the rest are better off not having to put up with Mike and Bruce. Brian is the genius that created all the great music; he's got a great band recreating the sounds of those records night after night on tour.
People DO have a choice. Go see Brian's band when they come to town; or go see the Mike and Bruce show. You are required to see both.
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: February 24, 2020, 04:47:47 AM »

I hardly contribute and just read, but adding endless negativity on top of an already horrendous negative situation (SCI gig) does no good. Brian wouldn’t do that. And quite honestly, we don’t know what happens behind closed doors in regards to the band and corporation, and decision making. All we can do is speculate, if we don’t know, and that’s part of the reason why we’re all here - I get it, but it can be done in a cordial manner.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black though. I get that these guys live in the public eye, and everything is magnified, but the endless degrading language has to stop at some point. When do you move on from this, what good does it do? Try to have a more forgiving heart, and focus on the positives of this great band and music made. Wouldn’t you want to be afforded the same opportunity? I think we are all codependent to some extent on there always being a villain in this band, someone to blame. I’m definitely guilty of that at times.
The sad truth is, the majority of posters here have hated Mike for a long time and events like this just give them one more reason to hate him. Does Mike care? No. Does he lay awake at night, worrying about what the Brian lovers over at Smiley Smile are saying about him? No. He knows they don't like him anyway. They're not the people attending his concerts or buying his cd's.
That's why it's never made sense that the same people were angry about C50 ending. Brian, Al, Blondie, and the rest are better off not having to put up with Mike and Bruce. Brian is the genius that created all the great music; he's got a great band recreating the sounds of those records night after night on tour.
People DO have a choice. Go see Brian's band when they come to town; or go see the Mike and Bruce show. You are required to see both.

I wasn't bothered about the C50 ending - I never wanted a reunion anyway. I was just angry about the way it happened. Mike said in the penultimate UK show that it was a show in two halves. He meant first and second but his words were true in a much more profound way. The first half very much reflected Mike's chosen presentation and choice of songs, the second half Brian's. And there was hardly a feeling of unity amongst all of the band, unsurprisingly in the circumstances.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: February 28, 2020, 08:31:20 PM »

I wasn't bothered about the C50 ending - I never wanted a reunion anyway. I was just angry about the way it happened. Mike said in the penultimate UK show that it was a show in two halves. He meant first and second but his words were true in a much more profound way. The first half very much reflected Mike's chosen presentation and choice of songs, the second half Brian's. And there was hardly a feeling of unity amongst all of the band, unsurprisingly in the circumstances.
That's right. The first half was for Mike - the surfing, cars and girls songs. The second half was for Brian - the artistic material. i'm sure Brian's happy he doesn't have to sing Be True to Your School, Fun Fun Fun and Surfin' USA anymore; just as Mike must have been relieved to go back to doing shows without that boring artistic material like God Only Knows, Heroes and Villains and Sail on Sailor.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: March 07, 2020, 09:03:03 PM »

The fallout lingers on:

https://fortune.com/2020/03/03/beach-boys-brian-wilson-mike-love-feud/

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: March 08, 2020, 10:06:46 AM »

The article is behind a paywall.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: March 08, 2020, 11:12:45 PM »

Seems if you click on the menu icon to the left of the URL brings the paywall down.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 01:49:16 AM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: March 09, 2020, 03:14:15 PM »

Here's the same article, but somehow having been bizarrely translated from English to another language and back to English again:

http://newsparliament.com/2020/03/03/how-the-beach-boys-became-two-separate-warring-factions/
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx