gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:47:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Please sign petition for Beach Boys to withdraw from performing on 2/5/20  (Read 74026 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: February 07, 2020, 10:41:31 AM »

[deleted by author]
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 12:56:37 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: February 07, 2020, 10:50:05 AM »

Rab! LOL LOL LOL LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: February 07, 2020, 10:55:53 AM »

You haven't heard? Nothing can tarnish the legacy!

Nothing can tarnish the legacy, and nothing can change the fact that Mike has solidified his villain status for all times. Almost like he was aiming for that. I don't doubt one day there will be a movie that will objectively and accurately portray him as the Salieri that his has repeatedly proven himself to tragically be.

I swear... it could have been different. So different. Just since 2012 alone... It's remarkable, how blessed a life Mike has had, to have not only been blessed to be in such a great band, but to have a long and healthy life, and to have squandered those years doing vile and shameful sh*t like this.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 11:32:37 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #428 on: February 07, 2020, 11:52:12 AM »

Before 2012 he was mainly looked at as lame by the general public. Not the worst thing in the world. Post 2012, and going forward though having seen the worst of him, well, this may really prove damaging. As said above, it’s a shame this didn’t happen earlier

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
roffels
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: February 07, 2020, 12:50:23 PM »

Before 2012 he was mainly looked at as lame by the general public. Not the worst thing in the world. Post 2012, and going forward though having seen the worst of him, well, this may really prove damaging. As said above, it’s a shame this didn’t happen earlier
Anecdotal experience: I'm a younger fan, born in 1984, and grew up hearing disparaging remarks in regards to Mike Love. My mom told me she always thought he was a creep. A show I was at around 2010 had the bamd singing the chorus of Good Vibrations adlibbing the lyrics to "Mike Love is a piece of sh*t", Belle and Sebastian has a song naming all the Beach Boys they love, emphasizing "I can even find it in my heart to love Mike Love."
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: February 07, 2020, 01:42:33 PM »

I’ve always tried to give Mike the benefit of the doubt.  I was well-aware of the lawsuits, the HOF speech, the multiple ex-wives, the endless interviews about the dangers of drug use, the unceremonious end to C50, the generally embarrassing stage presence, questionable decisions…I don’t need to go on.  Over it all I tried to focus on his contributions to the music, which I still think are significant.  His lead vocals on a lot of the early stuff, as well as his backing vocals and harmony on a massive amount of BB material, are an intrinsic part of the music.  Sometimes I’ll be caught off-guard and think “man!  His voice just sounds so good!” (the California Girls track on Sunshine Tomorrow/Leid in Hawaii being a prime example).  Beyond the music, I wanted to believe that beneath all the crap, he really loved Brian.  And I clung to his environmentalism as evidence that somewhere under the baseball caps and gold rings lurked a decent person. 

I don’t think so anymore.  The SCI gig was bad enough, but not responding to DT Jr.'s attack on Brian is truly unbelievable.   

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #431 on: February 07, 2020, 02:07:31 PM »

Anecdotal experience: I'm a younger fan, born in 1984, and grew up hearing disparaging remarks in regards to Mike Love. My mom told me she always thought he was a creep. A show I was at around 2010 had the bamd singing the chorus of Good Vibrations adlibbing the lyrics to "Mike Love is a piece of sh*t", Belle and Sebastian has a song naming all the Beach Boys they love, emphasizing "I can even find it in my heart to love Mike Love."

I’m 6 years older than you ; most of my friends either thought Mike was an asshole or knew nothing about The Beach Boys aside from being a bunch of “lamers” (I literally forgot that was the word used until just now) who popped up on equally lame shows like Full House and Home Improvement

Scary thought...If I’d realized back then who’d played Mr Hawthorne on the New Leave it to Beaver, I’d never gotten into Brian’s music which means i likely wouldn’t be alive to even be typing this sentence. Yikes.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
roffels
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: February 07, 2020, 02:40:16 PM »

Scary thought...If I’d realized back then who’d played Mr Hawthorne on the New Leave it to Beaver, I’d never gotten into Brian’s music which means i likely wouldn’t be alive to even be typing this sentence. Yikes.
Ha. I had to look that up. The Beach Boys' frequent appearances on Full House is what kept me away from them for a long time. Thankfully some people who I respected steered me in the right direction with their music.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #433 on: February 07, 2020, 03:00:50 PM »

Not to get too personal but I went through an extremely bad depression during my junior year and ended up seeing a therapist. He had a copy of Wouldn’t it be Nice on his bookshelf. I asked about it it, and I ended up checking it out from the library. That was my entry to fandom . Bought Brian’s first album for 99 cents on tape at Blockbuster music and Smiley Smile and Wild Honey on cd. Not too long after, the I just wasn’t made for these times vhs and cd, pet sounds not too long after. 25 years later, here I am .

For the record the guy turned out to be a bit of a creep. It’s no wonder why it seemed like he identified with Landy!

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: February 07, 2020, 03:40:01 PM »

Can this please not become a "we hate Mike Love" board

It's not news that Mike does bullshit things but he's a massive part of the reason we are all here and has given us an endless amount of incrdible songs to listen to.

These guys are getting on,  let's appreciate them all while they are around. Nothing wrong with critiscing but it's getting a little personal.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #435 on: February 07, 2020, 03:59:21 PM »

Strictly speaking I don’t hate him but I’m angry as hell.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: February 07, 2020, 04:13:25 PM »

It's not news that Mike does bullshit things but he's a massive part of the reason we are all here and has given us an endless amount of incrdible songs to listen to.

These guys are getting on,  let's appreciate them all while they are around. Nothing wrong with critiscing but it's getting a little personal.

Totally get what you're saying, but all I want to do is to be able to listen to the classic recordings of my favorite band without thinking about the actual reality that the guy singing on the songs promotes killing animals for fun, and is fine with a massively powerful person in the United States publicly humiliating his family member and bandmate, with a power imbalance to end all power imbalances in the mix too. Like Billy said, I'm angry as hell.

And I'm gonna forever have a hard time doing that. If you have any suggestions on how to simply block out those factual pieces of information, I'm all ears. Truthfully. I want to not know this stuff. I want to be oblivious.

I'm especially gonna have a hard time listening to the song Pacific Ocean Blue; the actual album it's on, this wonderful personal Pet Sounds-level heartfelt album by Dennis Wilson, is named after that song, with lyrics that are essentially meaningless now. So yeah, it's tainted even that. It's a huge, huge bummer, man. Dennis should reach down from heaven and punch Mike in the face for shitting on his album.  

I realize I and many others are a broken record about it, but it really hurts. Mike should be stuck in an elevator and forced to a Q&A and answer to this awful hypocrisy, because that's the only way it'd ever happen. Considering his media blackout, he'll probably make it part of any contract for all future reviews in perpetuity that no questions about this show or Don Jr. can ever be asked of him.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 04:42:46 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: February 07, 2020, 06:46:50 PM »

Just as a matter of interest, take a read from Mikes own book about the Rio summit in 1992, specifically the Beach Boys donation of $100K to the charity ‘Eyewitness for the Earth’. I hope next time he does an interview he is challenged on being the hypocrite he has become.

https://books.google.co.nz/books?id=3KLiDAAAQBAJ&pg=PT297&lpg=PT297&dq=mike+love+rio+summit&source=bl&ots=jQMRgadBpW&sig=ACfU3U3_GIY09kugF8unszIOta6UOeMdjw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiShOfv9cDnAhXnwjgGHZ3dCxIQ6AEwCnoECAIQAQ#v=onepage&q=mike%20love%20rio%20summit&f=false
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 06:47:36 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: February 07, 2020, 10:04:20 PM »

unsurprisingly, the story made the Colbert show. yippee

jump to 10:30 for the goods:
https://youtu.be/0BEofcUdREA
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: February 08, 2020, 09:51:51 AM »

David Crosby retweeted one of the articles about the performance and Brian's statement (this was Feb 4 but I don't check Twitter every day). Probably needless to say that he praised Brian for taking a stand and had some choice words for Mike.
sjeffery
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: February 08, 2020, 10:02:52 AM »

David Crosby retweeted one of the articles about the performance and Brian's statement (this was Feb 4 but I don't check Twitter every day). Probably needless to say that he praised Brian for taking a stand and had some choice words for Mike.

https://twitter.com/thedavidcrosby/status/1224867919089168385
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #441 on: February 08, 2020, 10:43:13 AM »

Update on the "change.org" bait and switch: Nothing has been done - The petition signed by Beach Boys fans now has their signatures on a petition addressed to Boris Johnson concerning UK law, and is still up and running as if nothing happened.

That will be the last "Change.org" petition I ever deal with, if they allow signatures given for one issue to be applied and transferred at will by the petition starter to another cause.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: February 08, 2020, 01:28:42 PM »

After last night's Colbert show, I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop on SNL tonight (new episode).
luckyoldsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: February 08, 2020, 02:04:11 PM »

These guys are getting on,  let's appreciate them all while they are around. Nothing wrong with critiscing but it's getting a little personal.

Totally get what you're saying, but all I want to do is to be able to listen to the classic recordings of my favorite band without thinking about the actual reality that the guy singing on the songs promotes killing animals for fun, and is fine with a massively powerful person in the United States publicly humiliating his family member and bandmate, with a power imbalance to end all power imbalances in the mix too. Like Billy said, I'm angry as hell.

And I'm gonna forever have a hard time doing that. If you have any suggestions on how to simply block out those factual pieces of information, I'm all ears. Truthfully. I want to not know this stuff. I want to be oblivious.

For reals, I'm especially gonna have a hard time listening to the song Pacific Ocean Blue, and of course the actual album it's on, this wonderful personal Pet Sounds-level heartfelt album by Dennis Wilson, is named after that song, with lyrics that are essentially meaningless now. So yeah, it's tainted even that. It's a huge, huge bummer, man. Dennis should reach down from heaven and punch Mike in the face for shitting on his album.  

I realize I and many others are a broken record about it, but it really hurts. Mike should be stuck in an elevator and forced to a Q&A and answer to this awful hypocrisy, because that's the only way it'd ever happen. Considering his media blackout, he'll probably make it part of any contract for all future reviews in perpetuity that no questions about this show or Don Jr. can ever be asked of him.

I'm sorta surprised this classic photo hasn't been repurposed yet. https://images.app.goo.gl/JXRYkdRFA9rPNF297

Wish you'd help me find the key ...
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: February 08, 2020, 04:33:39 PM »

unsurprisingly, the story made the Colbert show. yippee

jump to 10:30 for the goods:
https://youtu.be/0BEofcUdREA

Completely out of context

That was lovely

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: February 09, 2020, 08:04:22 AM »

Maybe I’m late, but has anybody else read ESQ’s response to this?
super sally
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: February 09, 2020, 08:39:03 AM »

I just read it.  "Why did we choose to hurt the Beach Boys?"

The writer's conclusion is that the fans are to blame for hurting the Beach Boys rather than Mike Love's poor decision.

How about "Why did the holder of the Beach Boys license choose to hurt the Beach Boys?"

Sounds like stockholm syndrome.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: February 09, 2020, 09:11:54 AM »

I just read it.  "Why did we choose to hurt the Beach Boys?"

The writer's conclusion is that the fans are to blame for hurting the Beach Boys rather than Mike Love's poor decision.

How about "Why did the holder of the Beach Boys license choose to hurt the Beach Boys?"

Remarkable how the article fails to address Mike's silence, inaction, and effective approval of Don Jr. attempting to publicly humiliate and bully Brian. The article acts as if that just never happened.

Because there's really no way to defend that at all. So better to just ignore it and pretend that didn't actually happen.

Well, it happened. And there's no defending Mike's inaction on that.

It is perfectly fair for fans to value ethics and decency, and to expect a modicum of them from musicians we support financially. If there's anything that fans should be united about, it's that Don Jr. acted like a despicable POS, and that burden does fall on Mike to make a peep about that, because it's all pertaining to the situation that he himself started. Implying that Mike's silence is perfectly OK is a ridiculous position to take.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 09:33:13 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
super sally
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: February 09, 2020, 09:16:02 AM »

I just read it.  "Why did we choose to hurt the Beach Boys?"

And not sure why the writer chose to bring Dennis Wilson into it (the fact that he hunted.) The man died nearly 40 years ago.

Remarkable how the article fails to address Mike's silence, inaction, and effective approval of Don Jr. attempting to publicly humiliate and bully Brian. The article acts as if that just never happened.

Because there's really no way to defend that at all. So better to just ignore it and pretend that didn't actually happen.

Well, it happened. And there's no defending Mike's inaction on that.
super sally
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: February 09, 2020, 09:17:00 AM »

And not sure why the writer chose to bring Dennis Wilson into it (the fact that he hunted.) The man died nearly 40 years ago.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx