gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:07:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Please sign petition for Beach Boys to withdraw from performing on 2/5/20  (Read 73979 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #325 on: February 05, 2020, 12:59:23 PM »

I asked this a little while back, but can someone point to where David Marks commented on this?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 01:08:16 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
sjeffery
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: February 05, 2020, 01:04:48 PM »

Update from the originator of the petition:

https://www.change.org/p/beach-boys-stop-supporting-trophy-hunting/u/25705355
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: February 05, 2020, 01:23:24 PM »

I asked this a little while back, but can someone point to where David Marks commented on this?

David graciously shared the LA Times link about the petition on his artist FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/DavidMarksOfficial/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #328 on: February 05, 2020, 01:34:51 PM »

David graciously shared the LA Times link about the petition on his artist FB page:

Thanks. I must have been looking at his personal FB page instead of his artist page. Interesting, and I definitely admire that he stood up on this issue.

Naysayers (including someone who has occasionally posted here who predictably defends Mike and attacks Brian) are trying to twist this thing around underneath David's post, and Carrie Marks is appropriately tearing them a new one.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: February 05, 2020, 02:07:49 PM »

Thanks. I must have been looking at his personal FB page instead of his artist page. Interesting, and I definitely admire that he stood up on this issue.

Naysayers (including someone who has occasionally posted here who predictably defends Mike and attacks Brian) are trying to twist this thing around underneath David's post, and Carrie Marks is appropriately tearing them a new one.

Yep. Good on David, good on Carrie.

So, the only BBs member too chickensh*t to make a public statement about this whole thing is good ol' Brucie.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 02:09:00 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #330 on: February 05, 2020, 02:20:04 PM »

Not surprised

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: February 05, 2020, 03:00:37 PM »

- 127,000+ signatures on the petition.

- Negative comments from longtime fans regarding the gig deleted off Facebook.

- Brian, Al, and David publicly support the petition.

- Petition story makes major news networks worldwide.

- Mike claims that "freedom of thought and expression" are the reasons he's continuing with the gig.

- SCI releases official video telling hunters to "trigger" people opposed to hunting.

- President's son publicly states he's proud he "triggered" Brian Wilson.

If Mike plays this gig there is no way his reputation in The Beach Boys fanbase is ever repaired. It was one disgusting thing to play the gig when this was merely about trophy hunting. But it's another disgusting thing to continue with the gig after the hosts send out a message encouraging their members to "trigger" those who don't support their murder of endangered species - if Mike gave a damn about "peace and love" this alone should've tipped the scale. But then it's another disgusting thing to continue with the gig after the President of the United State's son officially mocks Brian Wilson (all because Brian doesn't want his music associated with the murder of endangered animals).

He won't stand up against the murder of endangered animals. He won't stand up against a person in power needlessly mocking his cousin (who very recently was treated with some mental health problems). Simply, he won't stand up for peace and love.

The only thing that could salvage this is if he and the band take the stage and Mike immediately says how repulsive their "sport" is, bow, then exit stage left. If that doesn't happen, I foresee Mike never living down the hypocrisy of playing this event. Even his most ardent supporters are pissed off at this gig. I bet Andrew G Doe just lost access to Mike due to Andrew's ongoing support of the petition.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 03:01:26 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: February 05, 2020, 03:18:24 PM »

That Mike Love would do this gig in light of all that's happened, and defiantly so, and now would do so and not rebuke Trump Jr.'s insult regarding Brian Wilson, really, truly brings Mike's *SELF INFLICTED* villain status to a new level.

I'm really not trying to be overdramatic, but it's to the point that I don't even want to hear him sing on Beach Boys songs. He can't even stand up for his own flesh and blood who is being publicly mocked by a trophy hunter. Even through all of his feuding with Brian over the years I always thought that, deep down, a small part of Mike actually cared about Brian.

You're absolutely right, this takes his *SELF INFLICTED* villain status to a whole new level. I was honestly less pissed off about Mike using The Beach Boys to play a trophy hunting gig than I am now that Mike is seemingly cool with playing an event that openly goaded their members to taunt people like Brian.

I will never look at Mike Love the same. And I highly doubt others will too.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: February 05, 2020, 03:49:24 PM »

That Mike Love would do this gig in light of all that's happened, and defiantly so, and now would do so and not rebuke Trump Jr.'s insult regarding Brian Wilson, really, truly brings Mike's *SELF INFLICTED* villain status to a new level.

I'm really not trying to be overdramatic, but it's to the point that I don't even want to hear him sing on Beach Boys songs. He can't even stand up for his own flesh and blood who is being publicly mocked by a trophy hunter. Even through all of his feuding with Brian over the years I always thought that, deep down, a small part of Mike actually cared about Brian.

You're absolutely right, this takes his *SELF INFLICTED* villain status to a whole new level. I was honestly less pissed off about Mike using The Beach Boys to play a trophy hunting gig than I am now that Mike is seemingly cool with playing an event that openly goaded their members to taunt people like Brian.

+1
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: February 05, 2020, 04:04:29 PM »

M&B don’t give two shits about BW and only seek to leach off what was a great band. Carl and Dennis truly were the heart and soul of the group.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: February 05, 2020, 04:06:48 PM »

It would be funny if we each participated in an online book burning, wherein we each post a photo of us holding a lighter/match to our personal copies of Mike's book.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #336 on: February 05, 2020, 04:54:08 PM »

I’d rather download it as a pdf file from a torrent site and do a video of me moving it to the recycle bin and hitting delete than put money in his pocket

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: February 05, 2020, 05:04:39 PM »

I’d rather download it as a pdf file from a torrent site and do a video of me moving it to the recycle bin and hitting delete than put money in his pocket
Yeah, but if one of those sites gives you a virus, wouldn't that be like Mike getting retribution?  LOL

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #338 on: February 05, 2020, 05:49:48 PM »

I got Norton, b*tches 🤪

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: February 05, 2020, 05:52:11 PM »

That petition starter rubs me the wrong way, "huge media coverage", "global uproar"

He's enjoying it

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #340 on: February 05, 2020, 06:10:39 PM »

I agree Shady but if one bright spot can be gleaned, at least more of John Q Public will be able to differentiate Brian from Mike’s band.

Maybe I should do a change.org petition for getting the license away from Mike, because this has been a stain on the band’s legacy if there ever was one

Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #341 on: February 05, 2020, 06:22:35 PM »

Maybe I should do a change.org petition for getting the license away from Mike, because this has been a stain on the band’s legacy if there ever was one
I really hope that, petition or not, that is ultimately what will come out of this whole controversy.  I wouldn't be surprised if those sort of plans are already in motion.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: February 05, 2020, 06:26:47 PM »

That petition starter rubs me the wrong way, "huge media coverage", "global uproar"

He's enjoying it

Yeah, I read a post of his elsewhere and he was insinuating he was happy that Brian disowned his own band. Something else he said really rubbed me the wrong way but I can't remember.

That being said, I still support the petition. Regardless of his intentions, he is 100% right about this. Also Billy, if you make that petition I will sign it.

marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: February 05, 2020, 06:53:40 PM »

+1

+2

I am done with Mike forever.  I feel the same way you do.  I’m so disgusted with him that I don’t even want to hear his voice on BB songs.  I hope this one gig is worth losing any modicum of respect from legions of BB fans. 
chewy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: February 05, 2020, 06:56:29 PM »

this just solidifies the beach boys slogan that popped up when, mid 80s?   "America's Band".............they really are- they are divided just like the country-- Bruce/Al -- Mike/Bruce.......i mean we already knew they were split, but this is just very public now, and political.  Americas band indeed!
chewy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: February 05, 2020, 06:58:56 PM »

I mean I don't want to see the Beach Boys now divided fan base like if you are liberal you must support Brian and Al and if you are conservative you must support Mike and Bruce.   Let's not do that-
chewy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: February 05, 2020, 07:02:03 PM »

OH GOD i havent been following for the last 30 hours thank you rab4861 wow so David Marks made a statement in support of Brians statement?  "T's" son make a snarky tweet?  oh mean this thing is blowing up: the gigs tonite--- THE NEXT 10 HOURS IS ESSENTIAL::: do you think this is going to fizz out, or is this the beginning of an ongoing thing?Huh?? oh god
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: February 05, 2020, 07:04:42 PM »

this just solidifies the beach boys slogan that popped up when, mid 80s?   "America's Band".............they really are- they are divided just like the country-- Bruce/Al -- Mike/Bruce.......i mean we already knew they were split, but this is just very public now, and political.  Americas band indeed!

Which is so sad. The Beach Boys music is meant to unite and spread love. Not divide and spread hate. I keep politics out of most things in my life, and I don’t really see this as a right vs left issue. This is strictly a right vs wrong issue to me.

@Marcella27, sadly that’s just the way I feel right now. Mike traded one gig for his biggest yet permanent blemish on his reputation.

In the coming weeks it’ll be interesting to hear if Mike’s band members talk about this gig.

chewy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: February 05, 2020, 07:18:36 PM »

Mike, made a joke, about eating the whale from the SIP cover?Huh  as a lifelong fan i think it is important i experience this- is it on youtube?

I'll forego the tasteless jokes about Mike eating the whale from the "Summer in Paradise" cover.....
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 07:19:15 PM by chewy » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #349 on: February 05, 2020, 07:19:54 PM »

For those who do have issues with the petition starter and his method of operation, etc...and count me among them despite agreeing with the message of the petition and signing of it out of principle...please check out what the Safari Club International has released yesterday around noon.

Twitter link:
https://twitter.com/SafariClubIntl/status/1224746518546010113

YouTube video link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXSqyZhQ5Lg

Read and watch that, and you'll see a targeted PR campaign using the word "trigger" as the key. I had a feeling something was up when Surabian got involved and quoted, as he's not simply a spokesman for Don Jr., but he's also a power player in various conservative PAC's and organizations, and has been involved in the higher echelons of marketing political ideology alongside the likes of Steve Bannon and Ed Rollins. In other words, he's not working as a lowly spokesman.

So all of this with the convention in Reno also got swept up in what looks like a marketing/lobbying attempt to shift focus from the trophy hunting issue to hunting overall, and paint those who object to the SCI group's association with the trophy hunting industry as something they're not.

And we saw this play out *exactly* in Surabian's comment about "triggering", and calling Brian Wilson a "Hollywood liberal elite" or whatever he said.

These are professionals, they know what they're doing, and they're invested in the higher echelon of hardball politics and lobbying...and they also know how to distort and deflect issues so the original issue gets lost in a sea of bullshit and unrelated topics.

But I said all that before. And I also said it before seeing the SCI marketing campaign as shown in that video just posted yesterday.

Have a look. This is how a public opinion campaign and lobby gets launched when millions of dollars of big money is involved. The key word is "trigger", apparently.

And again, how pathetic to see Mike drag the beautiful music of The Beach Boys into this mess. I'm with Brian and Al.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx