gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:02:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Please sign petition for Beach Boys to withdraw from performing on 2/5/20  (Read 74020 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #300 on: February 05, 2020, 07:57:39 AM »

What I see as the bottom line is that there have been attempts to deflect and distract from the actual issue(s) at hand, and the more we follow those detours the more successful the tactic becomes. We had a former member here who did that regularly, in almost every discussion where there was no valid response, suddenly the topic would veer off into the Constitution or some random social issue and the actual topic was left miles away in the dust. They're still at it apparently.

Trump Jr.'s spokesman is an expert at this tactic, and he succeeded in shifting the focus and discussion into political beliefs and onto Don Jr. rather than the issue of Brian and Al objecting to Mike Love playing this event as The Beach Boys.

Focus.

And remember, the issue is trophy hunting and The Beach Boys playing a show for an event and organization associated with trophy hunting. It's not about endorsing political candidates, it's not about who Brian voted for in 1996, it's not about the background and work history of the petition starter, it's not about the right to bear arms, and it's not about objections to political figures...it's about Mike playing this gig as The Beach Boys.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #301 on: February 05, 2020, 08:00:53 AM »

I find it slightly amusing that apparently nobody has thought to whether or not those were the exact words junior said. I doubt donny even knows, or cares who Brian Wilson is.

Dude wrote a book (or had one ghost written) called "Triggered." I don't think it really matters whether he wrote the words; it's the big Trump/conservative machine that's trying comically to go after Brian friggin' Wilson. If Engelbert Humperdinck were in the place of Brian in this scenario, then he would have been celebrating triggering "noted Hollywood latte-sipping elitist liberal Engelbert Humperdinck."

But yes, you're probably right that the vibe of this statement, which is that whomever wrote it has NO idea who Brian Wilson is, would tend to indicate some underling, some hack assistant publicist or something, wrote the statement.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #302 on: February 05, 2020, 08:05:18 AM »

What I see as the bottom line is that there have been attempts to deflect and distract from the actual issue(s) at hand, and the more we follow those detours the more successful the tactic becomes. We had a former member here who did that regularly, in almost every discussion where there was no valid response, suddenly the topic would veer off into the Constitution or some random social issue and the actual topic was left miles away in the dust. They're still at it apparently.

Trump Jr.'s spokesman is an expert at this tactic, and he succeeded in shifting the focus and discussion into political beliefs and onto Don Jr. rather than the issue of Brian and Al objecting to Mike Love playing this event as The Beach Boys.

Focus.

And remember, the issue is trophy hunting and The Beach Boys playing a show for an event and organization associated with trophy hunting. It's not about endorsing political candidates, it's not about who Brian voted for in 1996, it's not about the background and work history of the petition starter, it's not about the right to bear arms, and it's not about objections to political figures...it's about Mike playing this gig as The Beach Boys.

Yes, it's about, in part, the BB name getting dragged through the mud, and while I'm sure Brian and Al and others are absolutely genuinely opposed to trophy hunting, I'd wager that Brian (and probably Al) were also responding to Mike's gig because they (Brian and Al) were probably getting nasty e-mails and other types of messages from outraged fans and spectators who had/have no idea that the band touring as "The Beach Boys" is not *THE* Beach Boys.

While this whole thing is a huge friggin' mess, Brian has at least succeeded in establishing that he and Al are *not* a party to playing this gig.

Thus the "only in Beach Boys Land" scenario of Brian and Al having to support a petition that, collaterally anyway, boycotts themselves.

More fodder for the next Rutles sequel.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 08:21:08 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: February 05, 2020, 08:09:28 AM »

Is this really the same guy that cried on TV in the early 90s reciting the lyrics to "Brian's Back", and teared up talking about the family before the CalSaga gig in 2012? Wtf happened?

I actually thought of that Mike crying moment yesterday, as I was processing this entire turn of events. I'm trying really hard to believe his crying was sincere, but I just don't have confidence in that anymore.  And it disgusts me to feel that way, but I do. Again, the narcissism wins out. It's also possible that Mike is a narcissist who also legit cries sometimes about his fractured relationships. I don't know anymore.  I don't doubt there's some complexity to the way his mind is wired, and that he could still have some goodness buried in there deep down, but it's really hard to see that now.

Dude hasn't given me any sort of confidence in his sincerity on a WIDE variety of topics (the "otter" lyric just being the most recent example), so his benefit of the doubt is shot, much like those animals will be.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 08:12:15 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #304 on: February 05, 2020, 08:13:06 AM »

I agree that Brian and Al separating themselves as original Beach Boys from Mike's "Beach Boys" who are playing this gig was a necessary (and welcome IMO) action. It had to be done. I'd wager a majority of regular citizens not invested in the band have little or no clue that Mike is the only original member in the touring Beach Boys.

I applaud Brian (and Al) again for saying what they did and making it clear. I wouldn't want my name, my band, and my legacy of beautiful music dragged through the mud or associated with an event or cause I don't support.

The only thing Trump's spokesman Sarubian did was introduce his own "war room" political warfare mentality and tactics into the issue, and make it about Republicans versus Democrats, or conservatives versus liberals when the issue is trophy hunting, and the objection and opposition to trophy hunting doesn't follow those political label lines. A majority across the board oppose it.

Don't get sucked in to the PAC-style tactics of Sarubian and his ilk. They'll have the issue so twisted and warped by the time it's done that people won't remember what the real issue was. That's what they get paid to do for their politician and lobbyist clients.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 05, 2020, 08:26:17 AM »

Melinda Love from Facebook:

My friends, if I had a dollar for every time someone has said “Tell your dad________(fill in the blank)” I wouldn’t need to sell real estate or work as a flight attendant. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Some days it’s all beautiful. Some days, (like today), it’s just embarrassing. You probably know what I’m talking about. Just know I already know. Xo

Interesting.

The offspring of a very powerful, very wealthy person who is doing some immoral and disgusting stuff (does Melinda Love think shooting animals for fun is an honorable thing? I know nothing about her, but I sincerely doubt that she feels that way) isn't really standing up against her dad with that post.  She may be a very good and decent person, and although I'm sure she's in a tough spot in this, I can't have all that much respect for people in the inner circle - even family - who stand by and essentially coddle Mike's behavior.

Because if one reads the comments on that post, they're filled with "Mike is such a wonderful, great guy" type of stuff - the continuing circle jerk of a bunch of people coddling a narcissist and giving him a free pass on everything he does.

Frankly, it's the same thing the Trumps do. Nobody in the Trump family ever *truly* stands up publicly to Trump. Nobody wants to get written out of a will. Not saying it would be easy to stand up to their parent, for whom I'm sure they have some unconditional love for. But where does one draw the line?

Mike's douchey actions indirectly leading to Trump Jr. publicly mocking and picking on Brian Wilson, who is also a relative, using "triggering" as mocking language to mock a guy suffering from mental illness. Nope, that's not something to be publicly upset about enough to actually address. Maybe Don Jr. can lead to the actual president doing some mocking of Brian's condition, the way Trump mocked that disabled reporter. Nope, that'd probably be not worthy of publicly being outraged about, either. Promoting animals getting murdered for fun, and using the brand name - against the wishes 3 living founders of the band? (And I'm sure Dennis and Carl would not be in favor of this gig either). Nope, that's not something to publicly stand up against. Coddle, coddle, coddle, repeat.

If anyone in Mike's inner circle came forward now and actually said that they were disgusted by everything that's gone on with regards to this event - and that Mike bears ultimate responsibility for this situation - they'd be a massive, massive hero to many (and of course a massive, massive villain to others too). That said, I know I can't realistically expect Mike's entire family to turn on him. But I really think he could be guilted into stepping down from this gig if it was a mass, collective "intervention" type of thing.

EDIT - I re-read Melinda's post and maybe the "embarrassing" part of it means that she's embarrassed by her dad's actions.  So good on her if that's what she means. It's vague enough language, though, to also perhaps mean she's just embarrassed to go through this situation and have people be mad at her dad. Who knows. Still, everyone in the comments is coddling Mike, which under the circumstances is gross.

Soft rebukes ain't gonna cut it here.  But at least she's saying *something*. Pretty much the only inside person besides Brian/Al/David to publicly say even a peep.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 10:58:13 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #306 on: February 05, 2020, 08:36:56 AM »

I interpreted Melinda Love's post as being embarrassed by her Dad, at least indirectly.

I take her message as something along the lines of "I don't always agree with him, and people tell me to tell him stuff all the time, but I can't be held responsible for what he does."

As to what level of responsibility she has in any of this, I honestly can't say. That's not an easy question to answer. If I were a family member of Mike, I'd probably just do what Brian did. That's the most anybody can do.

Here's the thing that makes this whole debacle even more perplexing: I'm *guessing* Mike Love does NOT like the idea of trophy hunting. But he's so enamored with doing the gig, of being Trumpian, that he's not only ignoring that potential impulse/feeling, but  also refusing to even offer a limp "I disagree with trophy hunting, but also think free speech blah blah blah...." sort of answer.

He's not giving one inch on this, and it reeks of just doubling down because he was called out on it.

Or who knows, maybe Mike "let's order a vegetrian pizza" Love really is okay with trophy hunting. That he can't even offer a limp rebuke of the theoretical idea behind it is telling, of something anyway.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 05, 2020, 08:44:44 AM »

Here's the thing that makes this whole debacle even more perplexing: I'm *guessing* Mike Love does NOT like the idea of trophy hunting. But he's so enamored with doing the gig, of being Trumpian, that he's not only ignoring that potential impulse/feeling, but  also refusing to even offer a limp "I disagree with trophy hunting, but also think free speech blah blah blah...." sort of answer.

He's not giving one inch on this, and it reeks of just doubling down because he was called out on it.

Or who knows, maybe Mike "let's order a vegetrian pizza" Love really is okay with trophy hunting. That he can't even offer a limp rebuke of the theoretical idea behind it is telling, of something anyway.

The fact that Mike isn't budging an inch on this, but by comparison, backed out of some sort of Sea World gig in 2014 (I can't remember the details) tells me that he is so yippee yippee excited about being associated with the Trumps, that he is walking on eggshells to come across as "strong" as possible, maybe even betting on another White House invite, or a Presidential Medal of Honor that Donnie Jr.'s dad might bestow upon him. Look at the asshat who just got one last night. It's not farfetched.

I'm not even kidding. We're in Idiocracy times here. All Mike ultimately cares about is getting big rewards/awards to feed his ego to "right the wrongs" of the past, and get on more equal footing with Brian's stature in the industry. (Donnie Jr. "knocking Brian down a few pegs" is only an added, unexpected bonus in this). Mike has figured out that the president (who he is buddy-buddy with) is willing to break with tradition and reward pathetic, undeserving celebrities with all sorts of goodie bags of respect, in any number of forms. This is Mike's last chance to go trick-or-treating for all the loot.  It's so, so pathetic and conniving.

I'm willing to bet that some aspects of this theory are true, and are a reason why Mike simply forgot about his "otter" lyric, and in an instant gladly swapped his decades of posing as an environmentalist with more fellating of the Trumps.  

Mark my words: Mike is going to get some "reward" of loyalty from Trump at some point over this. And it'll prove it's the reason why he did it in the first place. Sh*thead.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 09:42:55 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 05, 2020, 08:47:55 AM »

I can't say that I would have more respect for Mike if he admitted he'd decided to give up being a vegetarian or even wanted to take up hunting but at least he couldn't be called a hypocrite. But no such claim. So, Mike - you're a hypocrite.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #309 on: February 05, 2020, 09:00:23 AM »

First exclusive photos of rehearsals:

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: February 05, 2020, 09:02:17 AM »

Great picture! LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #311 on: February 05, 2020, 09:02:29 AM »

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #312 on: February 05, 2020, 09:04:58 AM »

In going down the rabbit hole of Google image searches involving Mike Love eating, I was reminded that, while I'm not an expert on the varying definitions of "vegetarian", he is not strictly so. He does eat fish:

I'll forego the tasteless jokes about Mike eating the whale from the "Summer in Paradise" cover.....

UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 05, 2020, 09:23:07 AM »

My friends, if I had a dollar for every time someone has said “Tell your dad________(fill in the blank)” I wouldn’t need to sell real estate or work as a flight attendant. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Some days it’s all beautiful. Some days, (like today), it’s just embarrassing. You probably know what I’m talking about. Just know I already know. Xo

Lol, just looked her up on Facebook. That profile picture is a case of the apple not falling far from the tree!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: February 05, 2020, 09:31:40 AM »

Lol, just looked her up on Facebook. That profile picture is a case of the apple not falling far from the tree!

Well, actually I see that she posted some anti-Trump article recently, and personally captioned it "Some things are simply more important than money.", so you're incorrect there.

I think that mindset is as far from the Mike tree as an apple could fall.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 09:54:48 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: February 05, 2020, 09:34:42 AM »

AGD is going all out on EH board today against his former idol.... Thud

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #316 on: February 05, 2020, 10:08:17 AM »

Well, actually I see that she posted some anti-Trump article recently, and personally captioned it "Some things are simply more important than money.", so you're incorrect there.

I think that mindset is as far from the Mike tree as an apple could fall.

She’s never been anything but nice to me in Facebook. As far as I’m concerned this does not affect my opinion of her in any way

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 05, 2020, 10:17:00 AM »

IIRC, Melinda Love used to post here years ago and seemed like an exceptionally nice person.  She can't control what her old man says or does any more than that rest of us can control our parents.  Sad if people are hassling her about this.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 05, 2020, 10:39:38 AM »

I took Melinda Love's post to mean that she IS embarrassed by her dad's stance on this and that it's not the first time she's been embarrassed by him. Not to say she doesn't love him, but she doesn't always agree with him.

Maybe Mike has been promised the Presidential Medal of Freedom and doesn't want to jeopardize it.  Roll Eyes
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 05, 2020, 10:48:38 AM »

What's the countdown until this gig from hell happens in Reno?

Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 05, 2020, 11:54:06 AM »

In going down the rabbit hole of Google image searches involving Mike Love eating, I was reminded that, while I'm not an expert on the varying definitions of "vegetarian", he is not strictly so. He does eat fish:

I'll forego the tasteless jokes about Mike eating the whale from the "Summer in Paradise" cover.....

I do seem to remember that a few years ago he was complimenting his wife's (sorry - I've got into the habit of calling her Morticia because of a close resemblance to the actress who used to play that role) Christmas dinner offering - turkey!  She replied that it was good because of the sauce. If I am remembering rightly - and it sounds absurd so perhaps I'm not! - she said she had used a quart of apple cider. Turkey... cider.... he seems to be neither a vegetarian nor a teetotaller.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #321 on: February 05, 2020, 12:21:25 PM »

I do seem to remember that a few years ago he was complimenting his wife's (sorry - I've got into the habit of calling her Morticia because of a close resemblance to the actress who used to play that role) Christmas dinner offering - turkey!  She replied that it was good because of the sauce. If I am remembering rightly - and it sounds absurd so perhaps I'm not! - she said she had used a quart of apple cider. Turkey... cider.... he seems to be neither a vegetarian nor a teetotaller.

I kid you not, in Mike's book he talks about how in more recent years he got more nasaly and had head congestion, and was told it was due to excessive dairy. He goes on to describe in tragic detail having to give up his coffee ice cream and "beloved Tillamook cheddar" cheese. He literally expresses more sadness over giving up the cheese than he does over the 50th reunion ending.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #322 on: February 05, 2020, 12:31:40 PM »

In all fairness Tillamook IS pretty good

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 05, 2020, 12:33:33 PM »

In fairness, cider in the U.S. usually means the non-alcoholic variety.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #324 on: February 05, 2020, 12:35:54 PM »

In all fairness Tillamook IS pretty good

Oh, I'd be sad to give up cheese too.

It's just funny to run through his book, and find how he rushes through Al's departure and then rushes through C50 ending, all rather clinically and even bitterly. And then the real emotional turn comes when he discusses giving up coffee ice cream and cheese.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx