gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:22:14 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Please sign petition for Beach Boys to withdraw from performing on 2/5/20  (Read 73913 times)
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: February 03, 2020, 07:36:16 PM »

Stop allowing them to license the name and continue to drag the legacy of the band through the mud.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: February 03, 2020, 07:37:02 PM »

Monday night, Variety obtained a statement from Love, in response to the petition and Wilson’s support of it: “We look forward to a night of great music in Reno and, as always, support freedom of thought and expression as a fundamental tenet of our rights as Americans. Peace & Love, Mike Love.”

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/brian-wilson-beach-boys-boycott-hunting-convention-donald-trump-jr-1203491537/

It's a pity Mike doesn't extend that "freedom of thought and expression" to either the Beach Boys' Facebook page or his own social media pages, since they have had someone seemingly on-call to delete any negative comments fans are posting about the Reno event.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 03, 2020, 07:37:52 PM »

How the hell did a random petition make Varitey magazine?

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 03, 2020, 07:43:31 PM »

News outlets usually report on stories that will get clicks or views - no one was carrying this story until this became a Brian vs Mike story (once Brian made his statement)...that feud gets clicks so thus it’s now being reported on.

Also nice to see that Mike’s lyrics on ‘Pacific Ocean Blues’ mean absolutely nothing. Shameful they’re still going on with this show.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 03, 2020, 07:44:31 PM »

Monday night, Variety obtained a statement from Love, in response to the petition and Wilson’s support of it: “We look forward to a night of great music in Reno and, as always, support freedom of thought and expression as a fundamental tenet of our rights as Americans. Peace & Love, Mike Love.”

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/brian-wilson-beach-boys-boycott-hunting-convention-donald-trump-jr-1203491537/

It's a pity Mike doesn't extend that "freedom of thought and expression" to either the Beach Boys' Facebook page or his own social media pages, since they have had someone seemingly on-call to delete any negative comments fans are posting about the Reno event.

THIS. The hypocrisy just keeps on snowballing. I hope someone in the media points this out.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 03, 2020, 07:44:38 PM »

I think Mike just won the 2020 narcissist musician award. Total phony. I hope he gets a trophy on his mantle.

I think he's doubling down just so he doesn't "buckle" to pressure so he can prove what a big man he is. Which is very much in line with the whole trophy hunting thing to begin with. What a dope, on the wrong side of history. What a guy.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 07:49:09 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 03, 2020, 07:45:12 PM »

@rab2591 Just because vegetarianism didn't work out for you doesn't mean it's not possible. There are so many successful vegans and vegetarians in great shape.

I said it before and I will say it again I respect you as well as everyone here. And I definitely understand where you guys are coming from, but just for a moment realize that we are not always right.

And the bigger picture is that a lot of us focus our time in pointing out the flaws of others, on this board its Mike Love, in politics its Donald Trump. And yet most of us ignore our own flaws. We hate people who we call haters? The word "Angry peace activist" comes to mind. Hate only begets hate.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 03, 2020, 07:46:16 PM »

News outlets usually report on stories that will get clicks or views - no one was carrying this story until this became a Brian vs Mike story (once Brian made his statement)...that feud gets clicks so thus it’s now being reported on.

Also nice to see that Mike’s lyrics on ‘Pacific Ocean Blues’ mean absolutely nothing. Shameful they’re still going on with this show.

Now Mike has found a way to put a giant blemish on Dennis's solo album as well. F*cking with his and Dennis's art 40 years after the fact. What a piece.
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 03, 2020, 07:51:17 PM »

This would be the same Mike Love who didn't want to play Monterey Pop because Coke was one of the sponsors.
jmc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 03, 2020, 07:54:08 PM »

Mike (and Bruce) are hypocrites. What a sham. How dare they use the Beach Boys name to promote their own beliefs and greed without the consensus from the group...which apparently doesn't exist. Yeah, I will buy the box set or other future releases of the band because they were products made and performed by the original "band", but I will no longer support the Mike and Bruce touring farce and will encourage others not to as well.  Thank you Brian for speaking out about this cruel "sport". Who the hell shoots a leopard or a lion or any animal they won't eat for subsistence and feels good about it?  This behavior coming from a guy who didn't like the lyrics to "Hang on to Your Ego".... Mike, it is you that has always had the ego problem.
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 03, 2020, 07:54:19 PM »

HOW can he have the nerve to talk about freedom of expression, when he’s had someone delete dozens of posts from his Facebook page?? And how does he have the nerve to sign a statement “peace and love” when this thing is about a trophy hunting convention?!  Does that sound like a “peace and love” kind of event?  It makes me want to scream.

Way to go, Mike, way to go.  Have fun performing your cousin’s songs at the event that he has publicly condemned, along with your other former band mates.  Dig your toes in and don’t listen, and don’t stop to think for a minute what it says about you.  Well done.  
jmc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 03, 2020, 08:02:07 PM »

Mike. Hope you are reading these. You make me sick.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 03, 2020, 08:17:35 PM »

@rab2591 Just because vegetarianism didn't work out for you doesn't mean it's not possible. There are so many successful vegans and vegetarians in great shape.

I said it before and I will say it again I respect you as well as everyone here. And I definitely understand where you guys are coming from, but just for a moment realize that we are not always right.

And the bigger picture is that a lot of us focus our time in pointing out the flaws of others, on this board its Mike Love, in politics its Donald Trump. And yet most of us ignore our own flaws. We hate people who we call haters? The word "Angry peace activist" comes to mind. Hate only begets hate.

So I shouldn’t protest the skinning and beheading of a wild protected animal because I am a flawed human being? I don’t get how this goes from trying to protect wildlife to we shouldn’t protest Mike because we are all flawed.

As I said before, if humans becoming a more civilized species depended on a lack of hypocrisy we’d still be living in the jungle. I know I am flawed, I am a hypocrite, but this doesn’t mean I can’t have sympathy for an elephant, a whale, or a leopard whose deaths in this case aren’t for survival but for taxidermied body parts and prizes. As for the “hate”, boycotting a band for supporting a sociopathic sport is about the most peaceful way to protest such an act.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 08:18:39 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 03, 2020, 08:38:40 PM »

“We look forward to a night of great music in Reno and, as always, support freedom of thought and expression as a fundamental tenet of our rights as Americans. Peace & Love, Mike Love.”
This comment left me astounded.

I hope Mike realizes that, while he has right to participate in the event on the grounds of "freedom of thought and expression", people have every right to protest the participation and boycott his future activity. That is "freedom of thought and expression", too.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 08:40:14 PM by Wata » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 03, 2020, 09:02:31 PM »

Now over here in Ireland the newspapers are reporting on it

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/entertainment/bad-vibrations-brian-wilson-disowns-beach-boys-performance-at-hunting-event-979622.html

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: February 03, 2020, 09:21:34 PM »

I’m pescatarian.

The story really is making the rounds. LA Times did a story on it, and every time I go to google on my phone there’s the same story from a different outlet

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 03, 2020, 09:57:54 PM »

Some reports are saying that Al has signed it too.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 03, 2020, 10:02:45 PM »

@rab2591 If you really feel that strongly about it my friend, and it sure sounds like you do. I hope after signing the petition you continue your crusade and make a difference. And I hope you take further action. And more power to you if that's what you do.

To the people that only sign a petition and then demonize Mike, and then go about their lives thinking they are better than others. Please be more aware of the bigger picture. I wish you all the best.

Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: February 04, 2020, 01:15:44 AM »

Brian Love is listed as the only team member on the Mike FB page so probably him that looks after it.

UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 04, 2020, 01:29:49 AM »

Not a fan of the 'twitter outrage mob' mentality that seems to be surrounding this. As someone put it on another forum, there is an air of "LA politics" surrounding the whole thing.

Hunting is legal. A great many hunters take pride in their use of the whole animal (or as much of it as possible), and the humanity of their methods. You might not like it, and I don't participate in it.  But change the law if you want people to stop. Or you can just buy a burger at your next BBs concert, I dunno.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 01:32:54 AM by UEF » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: February 04, 2020, 02:45:33 AM »

It's national news:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/brian-wilson-wants-fans-boycott-beach-boys-over-show-hunting-n1129386

Time for another Baywatch episode? Where's David Hasselhof when you need him?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 04, 2020, 03:56:43 AM »

Mr. Positivity again. As much as I love Mike's contributions to the band's iconic 60s material, his singing, and his qualities as a frontman, this guy has had such a long run of tasteless decisions and it's good to see Brian and Alan not sitting this one out.
harveyw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 04, 2020, 04:46:49 AM »

Now the lead story in The Guardian's culture section.
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/feb/04/brian-wilson-boycotts-beach-boys-hunting-convention-concert
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 04, 2020, 05:08:40 AM »

Though "freedom of expression" is an important principle, it's also been used to justify a lot of really horrible actions and words. I suppose you can justify supporting just about anything with "it's my right to do that."  And it loses credibility as an argument when you're using it to justify your own action yet censoring others who disagree with you.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 04, 2020, 05:13:08 AM »

@rab2591 If you really feel that strongly about it my friend, and it sure sounds like you do. I hope after signing the petition you continue your crusade and make a difference. And I hope you take further action. And more power to you if that's what you do.

To the people that only sign a petition and then demonize Mike, and then go about their lives thinking they are better than others. Please be more aware of the bigger picture. I wish you all the best.

"that only sign a petition" - know what's funny? You post a PETA video, call most everyone here a hypocrite, and then blast people here for supposedly thinking they are better than others - which is exactly what you are doing. There is a blatantly obvious difference between using meat to live off of and plastering animal body parts to your wall, taking selfies with your kill for ego, and using your kill to win prizes.

You say "Killing is killing no matter what is done with the corpse." yet I would argue that using the corpse as a trophy and an item to promote more killing is worse than killing to live off of. Also I would vehemently oppose the idea that killing an elephant for sport (which SCI endorses) is the same thing as a Native American killing a deer (using every part of the animal in some way for survival).

Yes, I'm a hypocrite. I recycle and want to be a better steward of the environment yet I drive a fossil fuel powered car - this doesn't mean I should stop recycling. I oppose a form of killing that involves using parts of the corpse as a prize yet I still eat meat sometimes - this doesn't mean I shouldn't protest trophy hunting.

As for people demonizing Mike, he has spent years upon years vilifying Melinda in the media, publicly knocking Brian about his music, looks, and drug use. Yet during this same time he has promoted his religion of positivity. He's now defending his participation in this event by claiming "freedom of thought and expression" while simultaneously someone is deleting any comments having to do with this event from The Beach Boys Facebook page. He has written lyrics opposing the killing of wildlife yet he is playing a gig at one of the largest supporters of the killing of wildlife:

Mike is demonizing himself. He doesn't need anyone's help on the Smiley Smile forum.

But change the law if you want people to stop.

I don't see this as an either-or situation. Mike using The Beach Boys name to play a gig at a convention that supports the killing of elephants/exotic animals should be protested...regardless of how else we see fit to stop trophy hunting.
_____

This thing just passed the 75,000 mark.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 05:14:22 AM by rab2591 » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx