gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:06:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Please sign petition for Beach Boys to withdraw from performing on 2/5/20  (Read 73928 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2020, 01:29:40 PM »

Hi Jim.  Yes still friends with Brian and I think he will say something.  Ray

In this case, Go Brian!

Nice to have you back Ray.
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2020, 01:37:02 PM »

Thanks. Good to be back!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2020, 01:57:12 PM »

Thanks. Good to be back!

Welcome back 😎

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2020, 02:07:59 PM »

Thanks. Good to be back!

Welcome back 😎

Great to see you're back, Ray, and hope all is well!! Please give our best to Brian and Family!!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 02:09:40 PM by The LEGENDARY OSD » Logged

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2020, 02:11:19 PM »

Nice to hear from Mr. Lawlor!

Absolutely!! And great to hear from you, SB!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
sjeffery
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2020, 02:11:32 PM »

Ray, so very glad to see you posting. Thank you so much for jumping in and lending your support. You may well be the one that turns the tide. Signatures now up to over 43,000.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2020, 04:55:20 PM »

how utterly disappointing.

I boycotted Mike's Beach Boys many years ago due to his nasty treatment and hurtful statements about Brian and the other Beach Boys.

he's one of the biggest fakes in show biz... it's no wonder he supports the current administration with such fervor.

the petition should easily reach 50,000 signatures by midnight, but will Mike care? I highly doubt it.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2020, 06:53:05 PM »

Signed. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

ppk700
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2020, 06:58:05 PM »

How can Mike reconcile playing a gig like this and practicing Transcendental Meditation?

Pretty terrible look, rubbing elbows with Donny Jr.

Fucking embarassing, to be fair.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2020, 11:15:01 PM »

Over 51000 now

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2020, 11:19:38 PM »

Over 51,000 and still going. Again the whole thing is beyond sad, when we are seeing over 51,000 people sign a petition directly related to the Beach Boys. But I'm repeating myself.

I hope some clarification is given so these 51,000 plus people signing this are aware The Beach Boys are *not* collectively doing this and especially not endorsing this, but rather this is Mike Love's touring group.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2020, 10:53:55 AM »

What a crazy and sad unfolding of events, wouldn't you agree? There is so much to say regarding all of this, but it must be noted that this many people - most of them *not* diehard fans but rather more casual fans and observers - have signed a petition which paints "The Beach Boys" as an entity in a negative light. How sad that is, considering for what I'm guessing is a majority of people (both on that petition roster and in general) they are unaware of any separation between the Beach Boys who released Good Vibrations in 1966 and the Mike Love-led Beach Boys who are subject of this petition due to the decision to play this show in Reno. The seeds planted years ago have started to bear fruit...or in other words, actions have consequences.

Rambling thoughts on all this.

In just under 48 hours, this petition jumped from just breaking 4,000 signatures on Saturday afternoon to having over 56,000 signatures on Monday afternoon. No matter what the opinions are of the topic at hand, is there not at least a recognition from BRI, from Mike Love's team, or in general within the umbrella of corporate structures that envelop the brand "The Beach Boys" that something is seriously wrong here?

In recent times we've seen discussions about a new box set coming out, and also in previous talks some who were critical of streaming such material versus buying it outright. Let's be real, then: This board gets probably a few hundred unique visits each day, and the totals on other social media are pretty close to those totals, some far less and some a little more depending on the platforms. The criticisms of 'streaming' versus purchasing these sets involved a few hundred fans...

...while this petition has 56,000 on board so far. Consider the damage done to future sales and revenue on just a percentage of those signing this petition versus the numbers of fans involved in buying or streaming legacy box sets. Where's the outrage, then, when real numbers are posted showing people who will not support or buy "The Beach Boys" brand due to the decision by one of the BRI board members to play a corporate gig using the brand name (no matter what that gig is...when over 50,000 people are publicly against it, there is a problem for a brand identity and product) ? Imagine if 300 fans said "we're not going to buy so-and-so release because of X and Y reasons", and here are 50,000 mostly average people signing this against The Beach Boys *overall*...not just the touring band, but the entire entity and legacy of The Beach Boys.

Where is the outrage? Some voices fell silent, others spoke up. Not surprising - That's everyone's choice. But again, it is right in our faces that something - *anything* - which garners that much negativity against The Beach Boys and their legacy should be considered a major problem to address and correct where possible.

Have we seen anything of the sort officially as of Monday afternoon, EST? No.

Instead, I've heard some have taken to "researching" and trying to critique and impugn the motives and motivation of the person who started the petition...rather than addressing the issues at hand.

How pathetic. How seriously pathetic, but sadly not unexpected. Because, again, this is who they are and this is what they do. When an issue gets hot, divert and obfuscate as much as possible, and turn the focus on trying to rip holes in the people who are raising the issue.

It's classic dirty political hardball 101, applied yet again to the world of The Beach Boys. Fortunately very few are listening now. But still, the same old tactics are alive and well. When it gets too hot, attack the messenger instead of addressing the issue. Keep it classy, right?

I just hope the beauty and healing quality of the music made by this amazing band The Beach Boys doesn't get tarnished any more by decisions such as the one subject of this petition. I hope the true fans of this band will not feel ashamed to promote the music and share their love of the band due to the politics of something like this. And I hope the notion of this many people jumping online in 48 hours to voice opposition to something connected to "The Beach Boys" sounds enough of an alarm bell that *something* gets done or said or whatever...

Because it's truly sad to see.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
as1972
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2020, 11:25:29 AM »

https://twitter.com/BrianWilsonLive/status/1224412811276816385

There's been some official acknowledgement, though not from the touring BBs

Trying to figure out which of my organs I could sell for outtakes and live.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2020, 11:36:02 AM »

(2) I have no intention at all of boycotting the recorded oeuvre of The Beach Boys, regardless of whether Mike & Bruce sing "Fun, Fun, Fun" for this Safari Club on Wednesday or not.  If Brother Records Inc. releases a Sunflower box set or some other issue in which I'm interested, I'm not going to say, "Well, Mike & Bruce played a gig for the big-game-hunting industry, so forget it."  I'd be lying if I pretended that was my position.   Mike and Bruce and their associates playing gig, reprehensible as it may be, has nothing to do with the music that Brian and Al and Carl and Dennis recorded 50 years ago.  

Exactly, the petition goes too far.
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2020, 11:39:31 AM »

Here is the tweet from Brian, for anyone who hasn't seen it: 

"It has been brought to my attention that on Wednesday February 5, The Beach Boys touring group licensed by Mike Love are headlining at the Safari Club International Convention in Reno, Nevada...This organization supports trophy hunting, which Both Al and I are emphatically opposed to. There’s nothing we can do personally to stop the show, so please join us in signing the petition at..." (then link to the petition). 

I am thrilled that he and Al spoke out.  This is exactly what needed to happen. 
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2020, 11:40:21 AM »

Here is the tweet from Brian, for anyone who hasn't seen it:  

"It has been brought to my attention that on Wednesday February 5, The Beach Boys touring group licensed by Mike Love are headlining at the Safari Club International Convention in Reno, Nevada...This organization supports trophy hunting, which Both Al and I are emphatically opposed to. There’s nothing we can do personally to stop the show, so please join us in signing the petition at..." (then link to the petition).  

I am thrilled that he and Al spoke out.  This is exactly what needed to happen.  

All the more chance of this going viral now. Good for Brian and Al.
Shame on Mike.  
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2020, 11:44:09 AM »

BW has spoken!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2020, 11:47:50 AM »

I don't believe in petitions (waste of time imo) but this is pretty low even for Mike and the band. To support this kind of wild animal activity is horrific and the animal heads shot off my trophy hunters is bad too.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2020, 11:59:49 AM »

Pretty stunning (in a great way) that Brian (and Al) are directly speaking out against Mike playing this gig.

Not only are they standing on principle, but I'd also guess that some of the scorn being heaped on "The Beach Boys" due to this gig is making its way to Brian and Al. Good for them to clarify that they are not a part of this, and also that they oppose the organization.

Truly, Mike would probably see a swell of positive PR for canceling this gig at this point. This is his deal to blow.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2020, 12:10:39 PM »

I was actually surprised that Brian so clearly spoke out against this Beach Boys gig and in favor of the petition. Good for him. He's a good man.
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2020, 12:19:20 PM »

Al posted the statement and link on his Facebook too.   Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2020, 12:25:21 PM »

(2) I have no intention at all of boycotting the recorded oeuvre of The Beach Boys, regardless of whether Mike & Bruce sing "Fun, Fun, Fun" for this Safari Club on Wednesday or not.  If Brother Records Inc. releases a Sunflower box set or some other issue in which I'm interested, I'm not going to say, "Well, Mike & Bruce played a gig for the big-game-hunting industry, so forget it."  I'd be lying if I pretended that was my position.   Mike and Bruce and their associates playing gig, reprehensible as it may be, has nothing to do with the music that Brian and Al and Carl and Dennis recorded 50 years ago.  

Exactly, the petition goes too far.

If it’s ok with Brian and Al, it’s ok with me.
Sure, the person who set it up has gone OTT, but let’s use some common sense as far as spending on your Beach Boys products and related touring go.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2020, 12:29:53 PM »

Oh...and the MSM? We are off and racing.

https://pitchfork.com/news/brian-wilson-opposes-mike-loves-beach-boys-show-at-trophy-hunting-convention/
Crow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2020, 12:32:27 PM »

I am not a Mike hater but damn. I cannot support this. I signed. Thanks Brian and Al.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2020, 12:32:58 PM »

--Ray, we hope that it won't take Mike going "all in" to get you to these pages--we want you here as often as possible!

--This is more evidence of the strange, tragic schism that has developed in the USA, and the often unseemly effects of commerce upon art that occur as a result.

I'd suggest that as a follow-up to this petition, a similar one should be generated to the touring band informing them that as a consequence of playing this gig, the undersigned will be boycotting any and all touring band shows for the balance of 20/20. The only place to hit Mike where he'll pay attention is in his wallet...
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx