gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:24:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Remixes of Friends and 20/20?  (Read 1645 times)
The Nearest Faraway Place
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 28, 2020, 05:07:28 PM »

I was listening to the “Wake the World” Friends session set, and I noticed that several of the backing tracks and a Cappella’s are mixed different, and sound much better.
For example, on the latest addition of the Friends album, on the title track, the vocals are all mono in the center, but on the 2018 a Cappella mix, the vocals are spaced between both channels. And in the album, the drums are completely on the left, while the vibraphone, bass harmonica, guitar and other instruments are all in the right. But on the 2018 backing track, the instruments are better spaced between the channels, and it has a much more satisfying sound. Same goes with Anna Lee, the Healer, Little Bird, and Transcendental Meditation. So why didn’t these great 2018 mixes and a capellas and backing tracks result in a complete new 2018 Friends mix? And while they were at it, a new 20/20 mix as well?
They did it with Pet Sounds in 1997, it happened with Wild Honey in 2017, so why no Friends or 20/20? A new mix would have been great. And it would have been perfect timing with all the new Beatles mixes coming out
The Nearest Faraway Place
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 05:21:52 PM »

This isn’t perfect, but this person took the isolated 2018 vocals and backing track, and put them together. Obviously, if this was official, it would be blended better, but it’s a nice approximation of what a 2018 mix of Friends would sound like.
https://youtu.be/4COIF6rvTIE
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 06:57:03 PM »

I got the remaster from HDtracks...it's not a remix, but it sounds a HELLuva lot better than the 1990 version I've been listening to for 25 years!

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Seagull Merlin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 07:39:59 PM »

Yeah back when that set came out I did that to the three friends tracks that had both. Here's a remix of sorts using the acapellas and backing tracks of Friends, Little Bird, and TM

https://clyp.it/ndpvdbfr
Seagull Merlin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 07:47:21 PM »

Also here's

Never Learn Not To Love:

https://clyp.it/2rhnw3bx

And Time To Get Alone:

https://clyp.it/tzhcxqsr

I had to add some after effect to the "DEEP AND WIDE" because I didn't think it sounded right without it
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2020, 07:36:39 PM »

After hearing how good the vocal/instrumental mix is on the alternate version of ‘Wake The World’ from the set, I can barely listen to the album version without being disappointed. I have been wishing for a remix of Friends for a long time now - last year was the year to do it. Sadly I don’t think we’ll ever get one now.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx