gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:13:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How many corporate/private gigs have The BBs/ Brian done in their careers?  (Read 9979 times)
roffels
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2020, 12:13:48 PM »

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10158667586392241&id=34250497240
roffels
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2020, 12:19:09 PM »

Since the other petition thread is locked, I guess I'll ask this here. How many people on this board are meat-eaters?
On again off again. Currently giving a 2nd go at being vegetarian.  Nearly one month into it.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2020, 12:33:18 PM »

I just thought it would be interesting to see how many opposed to this show are actually meat eaters. I want to clarify something I said earlier in this thread. I have many, many relatives that hunt, and I myself considered doing the training and getting a license. I am pro-hunting. I see no problem in it, as long as you use it to feed your family, and eat what you kill. But shooting something for fun/ "sport", and ripping the head off to put on your wall is something I am very much against, with every fiber of my being.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2020, 02:02:25 PM »

I also wish the petition delineated between Mike's "Beach Boys" and the band/corporation as a whole. I'm not really particularly for a boycott of the band's back catalog of music. The boycott should be of Mike's touring band, and Mike's solo material.

But Brian, Al, and Carl’s estate can take away the license. So this is their issue as well. Believe me, I wish this had nothing to do with those guys but it does. Say Mike goes through with this, and what if he does the gig again next year? That’s 54,000 people and counting that BRI is actively ignoring.

So while this was Mike’s decision, Brian and Al and Carl’s estate will be making money from this gig (at least I’m assuming they also make money from private shows?) - so they can be held responsible as well. Thus the boycotting of the catalogue: in my opinion if The Beach Boys (Brian, Al, Carl’s estate) as a whole decide it’s cool for Mike to play gigs like this, then why wouldn’t we boycott the music that is helping put money in their pockets?

I mentioned in my previous post that the shareholders have some level of responsibility for the current state of affairs concerning the license.

That being said, as far I'm aware, Al Jardine voted against Mike getting an exclusive license back in 1998-ish, and there has reportedly been no vote undertaken since that initial vote. So you can't hold Al much responsible.

As to the issue of the idea that "Brian, Al, and Carl's estate can take the license away", the short answer to that is that it's effectively nearly impossible to do in their lifetime. If they moved to do so, it would likely be tied up in litigation for years.

So yes, technically all three other shareholders could start making moves to take the license away. But it would be very expensive, would tie things up for years, and yield nobody any benefit in their lifetimes. I'm not even sure they'd succeed in a temporary injunction against Mike using the name.

Now, I think some shareholders who never put up a fight back in 1998 can be held responsible to some degree for this state of affairs, of essentially allowing Mike to assert a "possession is 9/10 of the law" sort of stance on this thing.

I'd say where the shareholders currently seemingly could at least *try* to do *something* would be to flex just a little bit more muscle. Within a corporation, there is something in between rolling over versus taking the license away. They could try to get everybody to the negotiating table and say "Okay Mike, we know it would be hard on everyone to just vote to take the license away. But we have some concerns about a few of your bookings. If you want to avoid a big hassle, we'd simply ask you to refrain from just a few shows that we feel would reflect negatively on the brand as a whole."

I'm not naive. Even that scenario isn't likely or particularly possible. But especially considering the bruising the brand took PR-wise back in 2017, you'd think Brian, Al, and Carl's estate would try to assert themselves in just a few specific cases.

But I'm not going to lay a ton of blame for this latest debacle on Brian or Al. It's really not practical, given the current status quo (regardless of how we got to this place), to suggest Brian and Al could prevent this gig from happening. It's really on Mike at this moment in time to make that call.

Hey, thanks for the reply and I completely see what you're saying and agree. It's a shame there's little power here for Brian and Al to do anything, but it's damn great to see them publicly speaking out against this.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
roffels
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2020, 03:00:29 PM »

I just thought it would be interesting to see how many opposed to this show are actually meat eaters. I want to clarify something I said earlier in this thread. I have many, many relatives that hunt, and I myself considered doing the training and getting a license. I am pro-hunting. I see no problem in it, as long as you use it to feed your family, and eat what you kill. But shooting something for fun/ "sport", and ripping the head off to put on your wall is something I am very much against, with every fiber of my being.

Right there with you, aside from having any desire to hunt.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2020, 06:37:05 PM »

Because the other thread got locked in the middle of a response:

I highly doubt Brian was even aware of this concert before this was brought up to him.

How is this fishy? It was a private gig and I highly doubt Brian spends his nights and days pouring over The Beach Boys concert schedule. So this isn't some Maltese Falcon mystery why Brian became aware of the concert when he was told about it - normally the way people become aware of information is when they are told about that information.

LOL

Trying to keep up with and fully vet the sheer quantity of gigs that Mike plays is probably like trying to keep up with which volume of Peter North Plows Jenna Jameson is coming out on the video shelf next month. I'm saying that facetiously of course. There's just a absolute ton of content, so many nonstop shows, that it's staggering discussing the ridiculously large quantity of content it'd surely be difficult to keep up with. I know there are many respectable musicians in Mike's band and I did not mean offense to them by that, but I have to laugh at this a little bit because it's such an awful situation. If we don't have humor than we are truly f***ed. I'm sure they feel overworked as well many times.

I can only imagine what they think of this whole situation that they are dragged into now. That's one angle that nobody even thinks about in this whole situation. What must be like to be a touring musician who is forced into these types of situations in order to keep a steady job. I'm sure when they signed up to be a member of the Beach Boys touring band, they did not expect this would ever be a thing.

Maybe this will create a new vetting process in advance. In any event, Mike likes to go rogue and do whatever the hell he wants so I'm sure he will find a way around that.

Also, it's very possible that Brian and Al and Melinda did in fact know about this show for weeks, but they couldn't really do anything about it, as proven by the social media statement today saying such. Their hands are basically tied. The fact that they are coming out publicly about it now is because this is gaining steam and they were essentially forced to respond or to remain publicly complicit.

But there's no way we can really know when they knew about it. The good thing is that it's obvious that Brian and Al are not in favor of this show. There's no way they would allow that statement out if they thought it was a great and honorable thing for Mike to be doing with the brand.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 06:58:33 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2020, 06:55:47 PM »

I respect everyone here but I believe that if you eat meat and you are completely ok with the treatment of all the animals in this video below. You can't really call out Mike for being a hypocrite, for a lot us here are as well. That goes for me too, I eat meat and Ignore the pain of all these animals. Please watch and decide for yourself.

WATCH THIS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql8xkSYvwJs

Judge yourself first, don't just focus on the mistakes of others.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2020, 07:02:49 PM »

I respect everyone here but I believe that if you eat meat and you are completely ok with the treatment of all the animals in this video below. You can't really call out Mike for being a hypocrite, for a lot us here are as well. That goes for me too, I eat meat and Ignore the pain of all these animals. Please watch and decide for yourself.

WATCH THIS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql8xkSYvwJs

Judge yourself first, don't just focus on the mistakes of others.

I completely encourage the consumption of veganism - Beyond Burgers are great, and reducing/illuminating meat/dairy in an effort to make animal suffering minimize as much as possible, whenever possible. And it's certainly not possible for everybody depending on their economic situation or geographical location.

But the one main difference is that this trophy hunting is literally "for fun"... for "prestige" by rich sociopaths. To show off and prove how macho they are. There is a big difference there. For that reason, it's really apples and oranges. Yes, there still a level of hypocrisy that all humans have in this subject, I think animal suffering should end and there are many more steps that people can take, but this is truly appalling and next level. It's not comparable.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2020, 09:06:27 PM »

Someone needs to tell the organizer of this online petition that Elliott Lott isn't the Manager of the band nor President of BRI, and hasn't been for some years.

https://www.change.org/p/beach-boys-stop-supporting-trophy-hunting

Jerry Schilling is still the president of BRI as far as I know. I don't know if they have anyone working for BRI who actually has the title of "Manager." The individual members (well, at least Brian and Mike) have their own personal managers.

I also wish the petition delineated between Mike's "Beach Boys" and the band/corporation as a whole. I'm not really particularly for a boycott of the band's back catalog of music. The boycott should be of Mike's touring band, and Mike's solo material.

If I’m right I mentioned that in my comment when I posted, at least about Lott. I can’t remember if I mentioned Jerry Schilling.
rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2020, 10:08:36 PM »

@CenturyDeprived I don't agree that it's that different. Cause I just don't see how I can value one life over another. Killing is killing no matter what is done with the corpse. Cannibalism comes to mind.  But I completely respect your opinion and I understand where you are coming from.
SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2020, 06:17:14 AM »

I signed the petition.  Mike Love is an uber piece of crap.  The Trumps?  Trophy hunting?  Listen, I can respect ones "right" to hunt (I guess) and Mike's Beach Boys right to play whatever gig they choose to - but trophy hunting is a ghastly excuse for cruel f*cks to commit murder and this gig is a stain on the bands legacy.  That is all purely my opinion of course, but this really disgusts me and yes, I despise the Trumps and I sincerely pray that on Donny Jr and Eric's next murder spree of innocent animals the animals turn the tables and tear the two of them to pieces.   Angry
SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2020, 10:08:38 AM »

Since the other petition thread is locked, I guess I'll ask this here. How many people on this board are meat-eaters?

Trophy hunting has NOTHING to do with eating meat.  It's about micro-penises who can only feel "manly" by murdering something and hanging its head on the wall, laying its pelt on the floor or using its hoof as an ashtray or trash bucket.  They take their "trophy" and leave the rest of the animal to go to waste (or best case scenario maybe the local people utilize the remainder of the carcass).  And no, I do not eat meat. 
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx