gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:13:06 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How many corporate/private gigs have The BBs/ Brian done in their careers?  (Read 9981 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 28, 2020, 09:36:08 AM »

Reading HeyJude's post regarding the slightly unusual nature of an upcoming Brian solo show (somewhere between private and public), it made me wonder: just how many corporate and private gigs The Beach Boys and Brian solo have done in their careers? I guess a dedicated number is going to be impossible, but it would interesting to discuss a guess.

For one, I know that a friend of mine's sister had The Beach Boys perform at a private "debutante" party in 1962, pretty sure it was a backyard type of private gig. So it's been a thing for a WHILE with this band.

Also, has this band played more corporate/private gigs than any other band in history? I would tend to think they have the record.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 10:10:49 AM »

The band did not play that many private gigs after 1963 until the early 1980s. Around 1983 they began to play many, many corporate private gigs and the occasional non-corporate private gig.  I have detailed almost all of them after 1982 at http://bellagio10452.com/gigs.html
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 03:08:48 PM »

For one, I know that a friend of mine's sister had The Beach Boys perform at a private "debutante" party in 1962, pretty sure it was a backyard type of private gig. So it's been a thing for a WHILE with this band.

Man...Someone must have taken some pictures of a gig like that. Would be cool to see today.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 04:04:23 PM »

Man...Someone must have taken some pictures of a gig like that. Would be cool to see today.

I would have thought so too, but my friend has none :/ But who knows, maybe some will turn up one day...
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 04:09:48 PM »

You would be surprised how many early BBs gigs are undocumented photographically. As of yet not a single pic of the BBs promoting their first single Surfin with Al Jardine . Earliest bb photo was taken in March 1962 with dave. Obviously tons of fans attended these shows and many had brownie instamatics but the photos are either gone or in an attic box!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 08:06:31 AM »

You would be surprised how many early BBs gigs are undocumented photographically. As of yet not a single pic of the BBs promoting their first single Surfin with Al Jardine . Earliest bb photo was taken in March 1962 with dave. Obviously tons of fans attended these shows and many had brownie instamatics but the photos are either gone or in an attic box!

It's true, unfortunately, for whatever reason, Beach Boys shows and public appearances weren't as ravenously captured by so many folks. You can find photos of the Beatles going back to pre-fame gigs, and certainly once they started touring after fame hit, nearly every show and city stop was captured by tons of cameras. There are a myriad of 1964-1966 *audience* audio recordings of Beatles shows. Nearly none for the Beach Boys.

It's interesting, folks in the US in, say, 1962 or 63, arguably had access to higher-tech stuff than the UK, yet all the way back to 1962, Beatles fans were taping stuff off the radio, taping audio off of TV, sometimes even shooting home movie film from the TV, etc. It's so bizarre. Even the day John met Paul in 1957 managed to be randomly captured in audio form.

As Ian alluded to, I'd imagine some Beach Boys fans *did* shoot photos or even make audio (or home movie) recordings back in the early-mid 60s. The question is whether the stuff survived, and whether people think to go back and dig it out. For a myriad of obvious and less obvious reasons, people were much more likely to hang on to and *seek out* every scrap of Beatles footage/pics in subsequent years.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2020, 09:30:55 AM »

It's true, unfortunately, for whatever reason, Beach Boys shows and public appearances weren't as ravenously captured by so many folks. You can find photos of the Beatles going back to pre-fame gigs, and certainly once they started touring after fame hit, nearly every show and city stop was captured by tons of cameras. There are a myriad of 1964-1966 *audience* audio recordings of Beatles shows. Nearly none for the Beach Boys.

It's interesting, folks in the US in, say, 1962 or 63, arguably had access to higher-tech stuff than the UK, yet all the way back to 1962, Beatles fans were taping stuff off the radio, taping audio off of TV, sometimes even shooting home movie film from the TV, etc. It's so bizarre. Even the day John met Paul in 1957 managed to be randomly captured in audio form.

As Ian alluded to, I'd imagine some Beach Boys fans *did* shoot photos or even make audio (or home movie) recordings back in the early-mid 60s. The question is whether the stuff survived, and whether people think to go back and dig it out. For a myriad of obvious and less obvious reasons, people were much more likely to hang on to and *seek out* every scrap of Beatles footage/pics in subsequent years.

I feel confident there's a good amount of historically significant old BBs photos and bits of 8MM home movies that are indeed in peoples' attics, and hopefully they'll be unearthed someday.

As for the reason they weren't as meticulously recorded and scraps kept as much as, say, The Beatles, I think that probably has to do with both the marketing of The BBs, where they just simply were pushed as more of a "fad" type of boy band of the moment (vs. The Beatles even then being more thought of as something of historical significance), but also the number of hare-brained ways in which The BBs themselves damaged their own brand also probably made them less likely to have been canonized to a level which would have led to more people making that extra effort to both document and seek out early photos/recordings.

And also, it may have something to do with multiple front men of The Beatles being regarded as sex symbols, vs the only real sex symbol of The BBs (Denny) being relegated to the back, behind a drum kit. I can imagine young female fans being much more inclined to try and snap a photo of their big crush out front (and also, The Beatles were such a phenomenon as to have each band member being a superstar in their own right), and The BBs didn't have that by a mile. I can imagine that must be a contributing factor too.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 09:35:53 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2020, 06:29:56 AM »

No videos of Carl in 1997 either, seemingly
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2020, 08:34:32 AM »

No videos of Carl in 1997 either, seemingly

There was a short clip up on YouTube a few years ago with semi-pro-shot footage of a '97 show with Carl. It was one of those quick local news puff piece bits essentially just mentioning that the BBs had played a gig. It was only a minute or two of footage, shot by a stationary news video camera.

That clip disappeared a few years ago when one of the big BB YouTube channels was stupidly shut down.

I've heard for years rumors that some audience-shot video from the '97 tour with Carl does exist, but I'm skeptical, as zilch has made it out. Some audio audience recordings from '97 are out there, but not any audience-shot videos. I wonder if perhaps some folks saw some '96 tour video (some of which does exist) and was led to believe it was from 1997.

There aren't even a ton of *photos* of Carl on the '97 tour, and really only one show that I know of (the June Woodlands, TX gig) where much more than one photo from the show seems to exist.

As with early BB materials, I can only imagine there are some additional shreds of 1997 shows on video/audio/photograph that haven't made it out to us, just by virtue of the fact that so many shows were performed. I don't think people go back and dig for 1997 Beach Boys stuff that much either.

For a band that toured non-stop all those years, there is *comparatively* little audience video or audio from, say, the 80s and 90s. I think it has more to do with the large proportion of "casual" fans at gigs (not as many "Deadhead" types), and also the relatively stale setlists. That would certainly explain why, by 1996/97, not a ton of people were breaking their backs trying to record shows.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2020, 12:11:14 PM »

I remember that when Gerald Ford was president, the Beach Boys played at the White House for his daughter Susan's birthday, in the mid-1970's.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2020, 12:59:53 PM »

They didn’t play in the White House in 1975 but were invited to visit
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2020, 04:01:44 PM »

They didn’t play in the White House in 1975 but were invited to visit

That is fascinating. I guess it was because Susan was a BBs fan?

Is the Ford administration the earliest that the band had some US presidential connections? I guess the band has had some involvement with every Republican presidential administration in one way or another, since Ford.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2020, 04:48:07 PM »

They played at Reagan's inaugural in January, 1981.  I was there.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2020, 04:08:25 AM »

Played both Reagan inaugural’s and bush’s inaugural
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2020, 07:14:56 AM »

Varying elements of the band also would appear, unfortunately, at actual campaign events in that era. Here's Mike and Bruce in 1988 with their infamous "I'm pickin' up bush vibrations":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAve3cVyT50

And here's the actual 1989 inauguration:

This blurry photo of the band with the Bush family would seem to be from around the same time circa 1989:

Ironically, considering all the Reagan glad-handing the band did afterward, they had actually campaigned for George Bush initially in the 1980 election. Here they somehow managed to convince Carl to also appear:

This is audio from what may be the same day playing a gig for Bush in March 1980:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elXvoXaElWc

Not to stir up the crap from a few years ago regarding the questionable nature of inaugurations as non-partisan vs. political events/statements, but certainly even if one wants to argue that the BBs appearing at inaugurations (and the post-Watt '83 kerfuffle) was meant to be apolitical, the band itself (especially Mike and Bruce) were not, and appearances at fundraisers and campaign events were infinitely tacky and unfortunate.

It's obviously not surprising that Mike seemed to reach Stamos levels of glee doing gigs and appearances for Reagan and Bush, yet you can hear Mike on the November 1993 Paramount recording complaining about Clinton on stage.

All proving their management seemed to suck in the 80s and 90s too.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 07:26:08 AM by HeyJude » Logged

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2020, 10:46:14 AM »

There's a bit of controversy popping up on the BW message board about this upcoming Mike & Bruce private gig:

https://www.humanesociety.org/news/safari-club-internationals-annual-convention-promotes-senseless-killing-wild-animals-0
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2020, 12:09:08 PM »

There's a bit of controversy popping up on the BW message board about this upcoming Mike & Bruce private gig:

https://www.humanesociety.org/news/safari-club-internationals-annual-convention-promotes-senseless-killing-wild-animals-0

Wow, what a mess. Does Mike really need the bookings *that* bad? Gross.

MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2020, 12:12:40 PM »

+1  Sad
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2020, 12:48:55 PM »

Just when you think there is nothing else to scrape from the bottom of the barrel.  Cry
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2020, 02:02:11 PM »

And Mike's the guy who saw fit to write and record a song about tears shed for a dead animal ("Wrinkles")... unbelievable.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2020, 03:03:02 PM »

I'm puzzled as to why Mike and Bruce, who are vegetarians, are even considering playing this event.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2020, 09:26:49 AM »

I'm puzzled as to why Mike and Bruce, who are vegetarians, are even considering playing this event.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$...etc.

And from all indications, no sense of the bigger picture beyond the noses on their faces.

In other words, Mike either doesn't get it, or he doesn't care. And BRI as a corporate entity with any say in the use of the brand name must not give a sh*t at all at this point.

It's sad to see all the negative comments about the Beach Boys' music and people saying they're going to boycott the music when this is 100% on Mike Love and NOT THE BEACH BOYS. Even 50 people saying this kind of thing would be sad considering what the music of The Beach Boys has been known for.

How very sad.

Wonder what BRI and other entities with skin in this game are thinking when there is a petition like this going around against "The Beach Boys" when it's really Mike Love and his management making these calls.

Asking the age-old question...Where's the outrage? Those who know who I'm talking about will get it.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2020, 10:20:37 AM »

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$...etc.

And from all indications, no sense of the bigger picture beyond the noses on their faces.

In other words, Mike either doesn't get it, or he doesn't care. And BRI as a corporate entity with any say in the use of the brand name must not give a sh*t at all at this point.

It's sad to see all the negative comments about the Beach Boys' music and people saying they're going to boycott the music when this is 100% on Mike Love and NOT THE BEACH BOYS. Even 50 people saying this kind of thing would be sad considering what the music of The Beach Boys has been known for.

How very sad.

Wonder what BRI and other entities with skin in this game are thinking when there is a petition like this going around against "The Beach Boys" when it's really Mike Love and his management making these calls.

Asking the age-old question...Where's the outrage? Those who know who I'm talking about will get it.

Some of those comments were heartbreaking....but I completely get why they're pissed off.

And there are still those who think The Beach Boys legacy can go completely untarnished no matter what. Just because The Beach Boys recorded 'Wouldn't It Be Nice' doesn't mean that every stupid thing they've done since then doesn't partially latch onto their image. Case in point: any time a major news article comes out about The Beach Boys, no matter what the subject is about, you always read how fractious the relationship between some of the members is because of their history of lawsuits. Their music isn't some magical antidote designed to erase the humanity/history of the band. The words and actions of the band go hand-in-hand with the music.

And the more dumb crap they do the more fodder the media will have to create click-bait articles about the band. And the media and pop-culture does a great job at shaping public opinion. Ask people in my parents' generation about the Beach Boys they talk about the lawsuits. Ask people from my generation about The Beach Boys and they talk about Full House. No, it's clearly not all about the music as some like to spout. Now they are gigging an event that glorifies the needless slaughter of beautiful animals.

My question is that if TM-loving Mr. Positivity vegetarian Mike Love actually wanted to do this gig, did anyone in the band or management question/protest the involvement? If not for the love of the animals, how about at least the love of the entity they have been entrusted with (The Beach Boys name).

Welp, the petition is nearing 5,000 signatures...can't wait to see how this unfolds.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2020, 12:16:52 PM »

How very sad.

Some of those comments were heartbreaking....but I completely get why they're pissed off.

And there are still those who think The Beach Boys legacy can go completely untarnished no matter what. Just because The Beach Boys recorded 'Wouldn't It Be Nice' doesn't mean that every stupid thing they've done since then doesn't partially latch onto their image. Case in point: any time a major news article comes out about The Beach Boys, no matter what the subject is about, you always read how fractious the relationship between some of the members is because of their history of lawsuits. Their music isn't some magical antidote designed to erase the humanity/history of the band. The words and actions of the band go hand-in-hand with the music.

And the more dumb crap they do the more fodder the media will have to create click-bait articles about the band. And the media and pop-culture does a great job at shaping public opinion. Ask people in my parents' generation about the Beach Boys they talk about the lawsuits. Ask people from my generation about The Beach Boys and they talk about Full House. No, it's clearly not all about the music as some like to spout. Now they are gigging an event that glorifies the needless slaughter of beautiful animals.

My question is that if TM-loving Mr. Positivity vegetarian Mike Love actually wanted to do this gig, did anyone in the band or management question/protest the involvement? If not for the love of the animals, how about at least the love of the entity they have been entrusted with (The Beach Boys name).

Welp, the petition is nearing 5,000 signatures...can't wait to see how this unfolds.

After all these years there *has to be* some basic knowledge that the name "The Beach Boys" is a legacy of beautiful music which heals and makes people happy above all else, and an event or action that compels thousands of people to sign a petition or react negatively to the name "Beach Boys" is *not* in the best interest of the band, the legacy, the music, and all who love and want to protect it.

No matter what that event or action may be, I'm shocked that Mike, his management, or BRI (or a combination of all three and more) would have agreed to something like this...knowing there was a potential hot-button issue at the center of it that could cause a backlash which ultimately harms the band, the legacy, and above all the music.

Like I said earlier, they're aiming for 5,000 signatures on the petition - Even if it were 50 people out there saying they will no longer listen to the music of The Beach Boys because of something done by Mike Love that has nothing to do with the band itself or the music, it would be beyond sad to see the music and fan enjoyment of it tarnished that way.

And for something so absurd, no less, as a big-game or trophy hunting corporate gig...it's hard to fathom but here we are on February 1, 2020 witnessing this.

Just play another gig at a fair, a theater, or regular venue instead. Leave these kinds of gigs for other acts whose legacies are nowhere near as special as the Beach Boys.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
sjeffery
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2020, 01:16:04 PM »

Just saw that the signatures have topped 4,500. Surely someone in ML's management/social media management will see the momentum building and just insist they withdraw from this sickening "event". Please, keep sharing the petition. The more eyes on it, the better.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx