gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:56:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which Beach Boys song is your earworm?  (Read 2945 times)
CarlWilsonfan101
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is my #1!

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2020, 02:02:02 PM »

For me, it's definitely Little Honda

Carl Wilson is the best Beach Boy!

"Subconsciously, I'm very religious." - Carl Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 02:36:47 PM »

@CarlWilsonFan101, have you heard the alternate chorus version of Little Honda? That version gets stuck in my head a lot.

For me, I think ‘That’s Why God Made The Radio’ gets stuck in my head most often - it’s not even my favorite beach boys song but there’s something about the message and the melody that is so catchy to me. ‘Cherry Cherry Coupe’ is another, also ‘Please Let Me Wonder’

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 06:05:56 AM »

There are many for me, but most recently it's been the H&V background vocals montage from the Smile Sessions.
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 06:27:22 AM »

Darlin' or Surf's Up currently
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 08:50:36 AM »

@CarlWilsonFan101, have you heard the alternate chorus version of Little Honda? That version gets stuck in my head a lot.

For me, I think ‘That’s Why God Made The Radio’ gets stuck in my head most often - it’s not even my favorite beach boys song but there’s something about the message and the melody that is so catchy to me. ‘Cherry Cherry Coupe’ is another, also ‘Please Let Me Wonder’

Gotta be "Please Let Me Wonder" for me too. It's literally a perfect song. There will be some who disagree with me, but stereo version for the win, by a mile.

I think it not only was a precursor of what Brian was looking to achieve on Pet Sounds, but it also sorta kinda did it not only first, but better.

Honorable mentions to:

Match Point of Our Love
Never Learn Not to Love (backing track + backing vocals version from the recent 20/20 archival release)
Just Once in My Life
Only With You (Holland version)
All Dressed Up For School
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 08:52:34 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 09:50:27 AM »

Gotta be "Please Let Me Wonder" for me too. It's literally a perfect song. There will be some who disagree with me, but stereo version for the win, by a mile.

While I do prefer some mono versions over stereo, the stereo mixes (especially for Today!) make the tracks sound so much less muddy. I prefer 'Do You Wanna Dance' and 'She Knows Me Too Well' in stereo over mono, but I also prefer 'Dance Dance Dance' and 'Kiss Me Baby' in mono. I can totally see why some would prefer one over the other for various reasons.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
spgass
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2020, 02:30:49 PM »

Since going to the BW concert in Maryland last week, I've been getting California Saga in my head.  Thinking it might be because I hadn't previously listened to that song nearly as much as some of the others. 
The Nearest Faraway Place
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2020, 10:21:28 PM »

Brian Is Back.
Horrible song, but endlessly catchy.
One day, I kept singing it, until this guy literally asked me, “Who’s Brian, and what is he back from?”
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2020, 11:08:32 PM »

Brian Is Back.
Horrible song, but endlessly catchy.
One day, I kept singing it, until this guy literally asked me, “Who’s Brian, and what is he back from?”

As much as I think this song is super hokey… I think the very very end of the song, with Carl doing the sweeping vocal melody from "you still believe in me" is unbelievably beautiful, and elevates the whole song.

It's perhaps the single greatest juxtaposition of cornball fluff (well-meaning by Mike no doubt, but corny and hokey IMO nonetheless), paired with Carl's mindblowing vocals, an operatic vocal part on the level of someone like Freddie Mercury, for a brief moment. This is peak Carl.

It's the extreme bad and the extreme good of this band, butted up together in one song - and it's absolutely bonkers.

I should add… It's perhaps the only time in the entire catalog where the band does a direct reference to an earlier song, where it works emotionally and packs a great punch, without seeming forced. And it has the added emotional impact of Brian's younger brother doing a tip of the hat to Brian himself.

I liken it to the end of "all you need is love" by the Beatles, where they briefly sing a reprise of "she loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah"… That part always gives me a spine tingling emotional reaction, I absolutely love it. This is the closest this band ever came to that type of thing.

Pretty much every other time they ever did it, it's really hokey. Although Bruce doing the "God only knows" reprise at the end of "oh, darlin" is pretty decent, but not entirely effective. Most of the other times it's been done, it was Mike Love doing a corny lyrical BBs callback on a much later song, and it felt very forced. And then there is the horror of "smart girls"...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 11:10:57 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2020, 07:06:32 AM »

Many.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2020, 03:45:26 PM »

Most of the time it's Surf's Up, but I'll also often get Long Promised Road, All I Wanna Do, Mona, Cabin Essence, Do You Like Worms/Roll Plymouth Rock, and the backing vocals to the chorus of Heroes and Villains stuck in my head.
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2020, 06:25:05 AM »

I liken it to the end of "all you need is love" by the Beatles, where they briefly sing a reprise of "she loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah"… That part always gives me a spine tingling emotional reaction, I absolutely love it. This is the closest this band ever came to that type of thing.

And a few times in "Glass Onion"
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2020, 07:57:09 AM »

Surfin USA, Rock And Roll Music, Here Today, Be Here In The Morning, Spirit of America, Do It Again, Cool Cool Water, and yes, I cant lie, Barbara Ann. 
Willy Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga Hagga Hooga

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2020, 09:34:59 AM »

Country Air and Little Pad.

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said, "Banana!"
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2020, 11:12:12 AM »

Breakaway, Aren't You Glad (studio and live), 'Til I Die, Funky Pretty, It's Over Now.
Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2020, 01:39:55 AM »

With Me Tonight

Toursiveu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2020, 03:57:25 PM »

Unfortunately, for me, it's... Still Cruisin'.

I made the mistake of listening to the album about a year ago and that damn song has been stuck in my head ever since. Because you only need to hear it once to know it by heart. Needless to say, I'm not a very sane man.
I don't count the times anymore when I'm in the street and I start snapping my fingers at passerbys and singing "Come on, let's cruise, you got... Nothing to lose, so come on let's cruise you got..."

I had the same problem with their version of Crocodile Rock a few years ago. Cost me a fortune in therapy.

"Crocodiiiile... Rock Rock Wahou... Crocodile... Rock Rock..."

« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 04:20:04 PM by Toursiveu » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2020, 07:32:21 PM »

that post made my day LOL

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2020, 06:39:26 AM »

Woke up this morning to "Luau." Don't know why.
 just the snippet "let's have a luau"

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2020, 07:00:36 AM »

the bass line to their Just Once In My Life
Toursiveu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2020, 04:08:09 PM »

I'm going crazy just trying to delete my post here following a technical failure... Other than that, I'm good.

Grin
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 04:18:03 PM by Toursiveu » Logged
Half Moon Bay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2020, 01:32:31 PM »

the bass line to their Just Once In My Life
Im pleased I’m not the only one who absolutely loves that bass (moog?) rumbling underneath!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx