gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:51:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Has Ricky Fataar had any solo releases  (Read 2027 times)
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2020, 01:49:06 PM »

Hello! I collect the extended family tree, and I am always on the look-out for more stuff. Has Ricky had any solo releases? Maybe in South Africa? Or has he always drummed for others?

I actually caught him live once, drumming for Bonnie Raitt.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 02:02:08 PM »

Hello! I collect the extended family tree, and I am always on the look-out for more stuff. Has Ricky had any solo releases? Maybe in South Africa? Or has he always drummed for others?

Y'know, I've never really thought about this, but I think the closest would be his contributions to The Rutles in 1978 (and I suppose their "Archeaology" release from '96 or so, though I've yet to acquire that), although the recently-passed Neil Innes wrote those songs. Ricky played guitar, bass, sitar, and had one or two lead vocals in there.

Prior to that, there was an article in either Creem or Crawdaddy (the latter, I think) about how Blondie and Ricky were teaming up for a joint album to be recorded at Brother Studio IIRC. The article quoted Ricky as saying the album would be mostly comprised of Blondie's songs, but that he (Ricky) would have some on there, too. I don't know if that project just didn't get off the ground, or if it morphed into the Blondie Chaplin solo album (which was recorded at the Village Recorder, but which Ricky did play on).

P.S., I've seen Ricky with Bonnie two times - that's a great band!
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 11:54:39 AM »

Ricky lived in Australia for a number of years mainly doing session work and his name still pops up as the fortunes of artists he worked with get recycled.
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 06:53:11 AM »

Y'know, I've never really thought about this, but I think the closest would be his contributions to The Rutles in 1978 (and I suppose their "Archeaology" release from '96 or so, though I've yet to acquire that), although the recently-passed Neil Innes wrote those songs. Ricky played guitar, bass, sitar, and had one or two lead vocals in there.

He was also one half of the somewhat more obscure Rutles spin-off Dirk & Stig, who recorded this single:
https://www.discogs.com/Dirk-Stig-Ging-Gang-Goolie/release/2459737

(I've also seen him with Bonnie Raitt.  Clearly quite a popular means of Fataar-spotting.)
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020, 07:04:58 AM »

If you want to get an idea of what Ricky has been doing since he left the Beach Boys, check www.the-flames.eu. Click on "Solo" on the menu bar left. You'd be surprised to see how productive he was, as both a composer, musician and producer.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Mr. Tiger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2020, 01:33:29 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WpXNptHPUo

RIP Neil
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 01:34:04 PM by Mr. Tiger » Logged
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2020, 01:22:40 AM »

To give you an idea of what Ricky has done musically after he left the Beach Boys (and Joe Walsh's Barnstorm), here's a pic of some releases he's been involved with.

- Crowded House: Weather With You (Ricky plays drums on three tracks of the Woodface album, among which this track)
- Tim Finn: Too Much Friction (Ricky co-produced this track and the Escapade album, he also plays drums on this album)
- Robert Palmer: She Makes My Day (Ricky plays (additional) drums on the Heavy Nova album, including this track, and on Simply Irresistable)
- Bonnie Raitt: Nick Of Time (Ricky plays drums and percussion on this track - he also plays drums on most of the other album tracks)
- The Ruttles: I Must Be In Love EP (no comment  Grin )
- Womack & Womack: Teardrops (Ricky drums on this track and the Concience album)

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2020, 01:51:57 AM »

And perhaps less known, but also an interesting fact is Ricky's involvement with David Cassidy's Home Is Where the Heart Is album. Ricky plays drums on Tomorrow and On Fire, both which were released on single (the latter as the b-side to Breaking Down Again). The b-side of Tomorrow - Half Past Your Bedtime - is a co-write of David, Ricky and Gerry Beckley (Ricky was involved with America's Silent Letter album). And the album was produced by David and ... Bruce Johnston ! It's a small BB-world, isn't it?

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx