gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:28:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: First BB song heard  (Read 4840 times)
The Nearest Faraway Place
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 23, 2020, 09:21:59 PM »

Oddly, mine was the cover of Under the Boardwalk from SIP. So while I know it’s terrible, I have a strange fondness for it.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 05:23:21 PM by The Nearest Faraway Place » Logged
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 11:51:49 PM »

Interesting topic.  

As a kid in California in the '70s, their classic hits of the '60s were very much part of the culture, so it's hard to pinpoint it with precision.  The earliest specific memory I have is kids on the playground circa 1977 singing Surfin' Safari ("Let's go surfin' now, everybody's learnin' how, come on a safari with me").

UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 01:05:29 AM »

Hard to say. Born in the 80s so some things like Fun Fun Fun were 'around'

This is the first one I seriously remember picking up on: this scene in Look Who's Talking :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65BV5dXXxzM

I latched onto Brian's voice immediately but it would take years before I knew what group it was and who was singing
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 01:06:12 AM by UEF » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 04:42:50 AM »

For Christmas, my parents got me the The Beach Boys Greatest Surfing Songs on cassette tape in the mid-90s when I was 7 years old. The first song on there was 'Surfin USA' so that is the first BB song I consciously remember listening to. I remember hearing 'Do You Wanna Dance' on there (which is not a surfing song) and I thought it was one of the best songs I'd ever heard. I still do.

I latched onto Brian's voice immediately but it would take years before I knew what group it was and who was singing

This was my same experience. Well, I knew there was one distinct singer in the band, then I heard 'Do You Wanna Dance' and came to the realization that there was more than one lead singer in the band - which I remember thinking was crazy because up until that point I thought that all bands had only one lead singer. But yeah, it took until nearly two decades later when I started learning whose voice was who's.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 04:50:19 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
beachcat
Smiley Smile Associate

Gen X'er "Living in the Past"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 04:33:42 PM »

I don't recall the first BB song I ever heard, but as a child of the eighties I grew up listening to my parents' Endless Summer 8-Track on a big wooden floor stereo. It seems to me it was on constant play every summer at home. I do remember thinking as a kid that "In My Room" was one of the most beautiful songs I had ever heard... and I still feel that way.

"Star bright, star light,
Make this wish come true tonight..."
thr33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 05:12:16 PM »

I'm not sure which came first, but I remember hearing Surfin USA (on a cassette when at a cousin's house) and The Little Girl I Once Knew (at some diner jukebox) around the same time in the early 90s when I was a kid.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 08:30:01 PM »

I can't say I enjoyed it as a kid. I can remember screeching along mockingly to the falsetto parts as my uncle played the hits by the pool. Then around age 12 after falling in love with the Beatles over night, the Beach Boys soon followed. "Sounds of Summer" was the first CD he gave me so my official appreciative introduction was to "California Girls" but it certainly wasn't my first time hearing 75% of the stuff on there.
michel neurophile
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2020, 08:32:46 PM »

I first heard "Surfin' USA" in 1963. Jan & Dean's "Surf City" followed soon after.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2020, 08:38:14 PM »

Believe it or not, it was "Ten Little Indians" as a new release in 1962, on the radio.
gxios
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2020, 02:28:23 AM »

Surfin' Safari, 1962
SBonilla
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2020, 06:50:27 AM »

Surfin' Safari, 1962

Same, here.
roffels
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2020, 08:52:11 AM »

There's a good chance I heard their music without realizing it prior to this, but I first learned who the Beach Boys were from Full House in the early 1990s. So probably Kokomo or Barbara Ann.

Which kept me from listening to them for a long time, because I only knew them as that hokey band from Full House.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2020, 10:32:44 AM »

The AM radio had a daily announcement of upcoming concerts in the area and the background music was "Surfin" but I didn't know who was singing until later on. Being that it's ancient history now, I"m going to say that it was either Surfin' Safari or In My Room when they were released. I loved both of them but it was Surfer Girl that really roped me in.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2020, 12:34:27 PM »

1964 - As an 8 year old I just gotten a crystal set (remember those?) and in bed one night listening with the old ear plug when this song came on with soaring falsetto and that was it? Song was Wendy. HOOKED FOR LIFE!
Musketeer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2020, 05:41:00 PM »

The first Beach Boys song that I took notice of as a 9 year old was  Good Vibrations. Not a bad place to start.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2020, 09:35:01 PM »

Circa late summer 1963, my mom had the radio on in the laundry room, and I heard "Surfing' USA...imprinted....

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2020, 12:16:48 AM »

Must have been Surfin' USA, sometime in the 70s. I am from 1963, so I came late to the party. First dedicated listen was a library loan in 1982, a comp.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2020, 01:02:28 AM »

Oddly, mine was the cover of Under the Boardwalk from SIP. So while I know it’s terrible, I have a strange fondness for it.

Don’t you mean ‘Udder The Boardwalk’?

(Herd....ok...I’ll get my coat)  Grin
rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2020, 01:18:24 AM »

Mine was 'I get around' in the Mr.Bean movie in 1997! 
FreakySmiley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2020, 02:32:17 AM »

My father grew up in Downey, California in the 60s (Class of 1958 or '59) so he was pretty much there in the epicenter during those pivotal years, and he was a fan at the time, when it was hot off the presses. I came into the picture MUCH later (circa 1994) but both he and my mother kept The Beach Boys and Jan & Dean in heavy rotation during my early years; even though at that point they had both kind of moved on to folk-rock/singer-songwriter and country/western as their respective wheelhouse(s).

All that being said, it's hard for me to say which Beach Boys track would be the FIRST that I ever heard, but I can say the first time that my attention was completely fixated on them was an occasion when my old man and I were watching one of those documentaries on that wild phenomenon known as "The Sixties," and featuring in this doc was a (mostly?) complete clip of their performance (on Ed Sullivan, maybe?) of "I Get Around." I'll never forget my dad laughing and saying Mike looked like a dork trying to boogie around during the instrumental breaks in the song.  LOL Classic memories...
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2020, 12:49:26 PM »

I've seen a lot of mean-spirited posts on this site over the years, but that one feels like the absolute worst.

To answer the OP's question, mine was either Surfin' Safari or Surfin' USA. Can't remember which. The songs that made me a forever fan were Surfer Girl and Help Me Rhonda. When Good Vibrations came along, I considered it the greatest rock and roll song ever recorded. More than 50 years later, I still do.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2020, 02:32:39 PM »

My father grew up in Downey, California in the 60s (Class of 1958 or '59) so he was pretty much there in the epicenter during those pivotal years, and he was a fan at the time, when it was hot off the presses. I came into the picture MUCH later (circa 1994) but both he and my mother kept The Beach Boys and Jan & Dean in heavy rotation during my early years; even though at that point they had both kind of moved on to folk-rock/singer-songwriter and country/western as their respective wheelhouse(s).

All that being said, it's hard for me to say which Beach Boys track would be the FIRST that I ever heard, but I can say the first time that my attention was completely fixated on them was an occasion when my old man and I were watching one of those documentaries on that wild phenomenon known as "The Sixties," and featuring in this doc was a (mostly?) complete clip of their performance (on Ed Sullivan, maybe?) of "I Get Around." I'll never forget my dad laughing and saying Mike looked like a dork trying to boogie around during the instrumental breaks in the song.  LOL Classic memories...

Hey Freaky, I like your dad ALOT.  Wink

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2020, 10:30:50 PM »

I've seen a lot of mean-spirited posts on this site over the years, but that one feels like the absolute worst.

Seriously?

No offence intended. Apologies if taken.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2020, 09:32:14 AM »

When I really took notice was with the release of Surfin' USA.  When I got the Surfin' Safari l.p. I realized that I had previously heard 10 Little Indians on the radio but it hadn't made much of an impression on me.  Surfin' USA set the 4 Seasons a little to the side and  elevated the Beach Boys into being my favourite band...circa spring/summer 1963.  (Surf City would grab my attention a short while later and that was pretty much because of Brian as well.)

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2020, 10:17:47 AM »

I know it was the late 70’s when I was 4 or 5 years old. It was “Surfin’ USA” on some TV show.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx