gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:27:02 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: More power to the "Power Mower"!  (Read 13459 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2020, 02:33:37 PM »

That’s more or less correct; what the lack of interest in my project has gone to show me is that people, and even hardcore fans, are much more interested in the personalities in the band, collecting memorabilia, boots, talking about circumstances surrounding the music.  [EDIT- Which I should add, are all perfectly valid ways to enjoy a band.]  But few are interested in the music, per se.

I'll concede it's valid but it seems to be missing the point! I wish I could be as philosophical about it all as you.

To me it doesn’t matter who made the music or whether they like each other.  Heck, I love music that is literally anonymous.  If you actually like the music it shouldn’t matter if it’s Ringo, a drum machine, Dennis Wilson, Shelley Manne, or Animal off the muppets.

This.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2020, 09:22:54 PM »

A side effect of Joe Public not knowing what the Beach Boys look like ("Something to do with stripey shirts? A surfboard? Hawaiian shirts?").

"No one knew who Elvis's drummer was, but everyone knew Ringo." The same could be said for the Beach Boys, but every member.

And I think you'll find that a good many members of Jo(e) Public are indeed aware of the existence of Brian Wilson! (But perhaps not that of B.J. Fontana.)

D.J. Fontana.

And my donation to the Power Mower should arrive tomorrow.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2020, 02:10:48 AM »

D.J. Fontana.

And my donation to the Power Mower should arrive tomorrow.

That's most encouraging, ASL. It's about time there was some good news on that front. Smiley

If that's the effect my gaffes have, I'll be making another later in the day. LOL 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2020, 01:24:17 AM »

Odd to see that the mods have yet to grace this topic with their presence. Billy and Craig, if you were just to give aeijtzsche's crowdfunding campaign your blessings, it would be a huge encouragement for others to join in and perhaps donate.   

Forget I'm the OP and think of Joshilyn's videos, and what we're all missing. Spread the word around, folks. You never know who might donate.

It's quite simple: no funding, no videos. Consider what we'd be throwing away.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2020, 02:35:12 PM »

Please, folks, help push the amount raised so far into four figures--that would be a wonderful start.

And by Godfrey we're there!!! I'm lost for words.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2020, 05:07:15 AM »

Still slightly shellshocked. I mean, am I dreaming this?? Shocked

Now there is no excuse for most folks not to donate $20--$10 if your committments simply don't permit more and $5 if times are really hard. But most folks can easily handle $20, certainly knowing what they'll get in return. The four-figure hurdle has been taken and the target figure is in sight. Please donate.

That includes you, EH peeps. Grin

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2020, 06:42:42 AM »

Hey JK and aeijtzsche,

At the moment I've had to financially cut back on most of my entertainment subscriptions, I also haven't been able to contribute to help other content creators that I listen to/watch regularly. It's just a rough time of the year for me. But when I am financially able I will donate something.

I'm not sure what type of computer you're aiming for, but my MacBook Pro (and even my 10 year old iMac) run Logic Pro flawlessly. Perhaps you're using a more sophisticated program, but I think that Logic Pro has become quite popular in professional music circles in recent years (and a plethora of plug-ins are available for it). I mention this because you can get a refurbished Apple Computer (from their official site) with 8 gigs of memory, 1tb of HD space, and one year warranty for a little over $1000. I once had Logic Pro perfectly running 37 separate tracks (each horrendously full of plug-ins) on my (at the time) 7 year old iMac (with just 4 gigs). Logic Pro is $199. Though I'm sure the plug-ins/extentions you'll be buying to emulate certain sounds will cost a bit as well. I'm sure you've factored all that in, I just thought I'd pass along that information.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2020, 08:20:02 AM »

I’m flabbergasted at the generosity of those who have given.  It is humbling and exciting that a few people like my work enough to do that.  I take that sacrifice very seriously and that’s why it is very important for me to consider my work as part of a system of custodianship of this music that demands my best.

Rab, thanks for the input.  I’ve been a Logic user for years; it’s a great program.  My issue is mainly disc size, processor speed, and especially RAM.  I could get a cheaper computer, but I believe that making allowances for excellence is a vital part of this project.  That’s why I want to make absolutely sure I’m good to go for a few years at a level that reflects my reverence for the source material. 

And while I certainly plan to run exquisite plug ins, those are not part of the donation campaign—but accommodating for running them at a professional level is.

In some ways, I consider it my duty to keep this stuff alive.  And now that the original engineers are passing away, and the ones that are still around feel like they’ve said enough, I kind of feel like it’s up to me to keep the flame alive.

I am looking forward to showing you not only the instruments and arrangements, but the production ethos that elevated these things to something worth thinking about 60 years later.  I am so excited to show you.

And yes, while I’d much prefer analog stuff, the digital emulation world is just getting better and better now.  When I’m up and running I’ll be able to demonstrate reverb techniques using very good emulations of Chambers, Plates, and Tanks from United/Western, Sunset Sound, and Capitol Records.

Similarly I can add the sound of the tracking rooms of those studios.  Nobody has physically demonstrated how this all works together before.  I’ll show you so much!!!  And I’m so excited to!!

Since I haven’t been able to record at all, I’ve spent time preparing and writing episodes.  Here are some potential forthcoming episodes.

If you’d like to see them sooner rather than much later, please feel free to donate anything.  Even 50 cents is a treasured gift.

Episodes 2020:

Wouldn’t it be nice to know:  the story of the introduction to Wouldn’t it be Nice

Dano perfectly well I’m not where I should be:  Brian Wilson, the Wrecking Crew, and the electric bass

Getcha Tack: the tack piano in The Beach Boys music

Rocksichords, Clavinets, and Rhodes, Oh My:  the home studio electric keyboards

Be Synth Me:  Dennis Wilson’s use of synthesis

Moog to my Baby:  how synthesizers infiltrated then took over Brian Wilson’s arrangements and WHY

AND MUCH MORE!

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2020, 08:53:16 AM »

I believe that making allowances for excellence is a vital part of this project.  That’s why I want to make absolutely sure I’m good to go for a few years at a level that reflects my reverence for the source material. 

Completely understandable. On a side note, one thing I've been pretty impressed by is how often Logic has been updated over the last 7 years. Logic Pro X has been out since 2013 and I've never had to pay for an update since then - and they've consistently added more and more great content. Anyways, glad to see a fellow Logic user!

I'm really looking forward to your upcoming episodes. I have shown many people your Sloop John B video - they were blown away by what they heard. I can't wait to show off more of your work!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2020, 09:20:54 AM »

Thank you so much!

Logic is surprisingly good, yeah.  My entree to it, as it were, was by GarageBand, which, while free, is really terrible for certain things. Good at others though!  I was quite relieved to find that Logic does everything I want it to.

I started recording on my parents consumer tape deck in the late 80s.  I rigged it so I could overdub which blew my mind.

Then I started using various Tascam type 4 tracks until I was introduced to Cool Edit Pro in 1998.

I live that program, and used it until well after it became adobe audition.

Then I wanted to do more outside the box type work, so I got a digital 24-Track that I really loved.  But it was soooo much work to use because I don’t have the routing to handle that many tracks.

Enter GarageBand.  Then logic.

And now I’m increasingly blown away by the digital audio people.  The ones that do it right really do do it right.  Haha, do do!

It’s really exciting and really adds another dimension to my project.  For the first time, I am comfortable that, say, an emulation of Western’s reverb chamber, or Sunset Sound’s EMT Plate will behave in a way that honors what they are emulating.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2020, 10:53:50 AM »

If you’d like to see them sooner rather than much later, please feel free to donate anything.

This!

Even 50 cents is a treasured gift.

But not this! JH is being kind, but folks just a little more than that would be cool! Cool

An afterthought: Wouldn't it be wonderful if this project helped draw back together what is regrettably a fractured BB community? There is already a certain amount of inter-forum interaction on the subject. Let's hope this positive development continues.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 11:06:44 AM by JK » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2020, 02:42:41 PM »

Folks we're two-thirds of the way there. We need $656--that's thirty donations of $20 with the odd $25 thrown in.

After a spiffing start to the campaign, $2000 seemed an impossible goal for a long time. That certainly isn't the case now. I'm sure there are those (including myself) who would be willing to fill in the last gaps once we're close enough to the target figure.

What seemed so far away and so unattainable is now within reach! Those of you who haven't donated yet and are prevaricating, please act now. if you do, it may be a matter of weeks before aeijtzsche posts her next long-awaited isolation video. The fate of this project is in your hands.

If you still need convincing, read the warm and enthusiastic comments in any of JH's isolation video threads. This "landmark series" (Don Malcolm's words) deserves to succeed.

So please take that step and make it succeed. Violin Brian, Dennis, & Carl

Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2020, 05:58:19 AM »

Just wanna continue to thank people for supporting and donating.  We are so close now!

When I am able to get up and running again, I really am excited about all the things I hope to do.

I think that I am really gonna take a hard turn toward sunflower, to keep everybody’s spirits up as we await something more official.  So you can look forward to that.  Highlights will include how to get your cowbell to sound like a cricket, as on Slip on Through, a thorough dissection of All I Wanna Do, and an attempt to show you how to make a water sounds keyboard for Cool Water.

If you are moved by that, feel free to donate—either a one time donation or support me as a patron on my patreon.  To my knowledge I am the only person in the world creating scholarly Beach Boys A/V content.  And yes, I know that has less to do with me and more to do with the fact that its not exactly cutting edge studying music from 50 years ago...

Thanks to all, though!!!  Very appreciative and I really want to make stuff that you like!!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2020, 06:16:00 AM »

I think that I am really gonna take a hard turn toward sunflower, to keep everybody’s spirits up as we await something more official.  So you can look forward to that.  Highlights will include how to get your cowbell to sound like a cricket, as on Slip on Through, a thorough dissection of All I Wanna Do, and an attempt to show you how to make a water sounds keyboard for Cool Water.

Really looking forward to that dissection of my all-time favourite BB song! And the other Sunflower tidbits. Oh, and everything else. Tongue

Please make it sooner rather than later, folks. Wink

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2020, 03:40:58 AM »

The fourteen donors (yes, some splendid person has donated twice) are beginning to feel lonesome. They long for company!

Please give them some and help shake off the absurd notion that only fourteen people in the world care about aeijtzsche's project.

Here's a reminder of what you will be missing in future if you don't chime in and help out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrBWTRQEKgI

https://www.gofundme.com/f/recording-computer-for-joshilyn

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2020, 05:26:48 AM »

And, to keep this thread visible, a further reminder of what we've had and what we can expect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UeP0dXHS14

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2020, 03:00:47 AM »

This thread looks likely to reach a third page, possibly thanks to this post.

Please, folks, don't let it have to extend to a fourth page. The target figure should be in long before then!

gf.me/u/xfaccv

Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2020, 03:48:10 PM »

We are indeed so close to making some videos and other goodies possible again.  One final push!  I am so grateful and so flabbergasted, really, that I got anything.  And I promise you, the only reason I keep asking for help is that I am excited as a huge fan of the group's music to add a new dimension to the collective knowledge base, and to recognise just how revolutionary the band's music could be.  No one will be disappointed.  Just today I was thinking about how many jaws will drop when more curtains are pulled back on the arrangements.  Can't wait!!!
theaudiontube
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2020, 01:56:30 AM »

I donated  Cool Guy
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2020, 03:26:27 AM »

I donated  Cool Guy

Thank you, you wonderful person, and welcome! Smiley

These are historic times in Beach Boys Land. Wink

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2020, 10:52:45 AM »

Folks, this is what you'll be seeing first when the series starts in earnest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbGk_vhCa0Y

Please click here to make it happen!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 10:54:04 AM by JK » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2020, 04:08:48 AM »

If someone as paranoid about the combination internet/money as I am can donate, so can you, even if it's just this one time.

You'll be making a whole bunch of people very happy if you do.

Please keep this in mind and donate today!

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2020, 03:34:30 AM »

« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 04:02:20 AM by JK » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2020, 04:08:38 AM »

« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 05:23:45 AM by JK » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2020, 05:28:09 AM »

« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 03:58:15 AM by JK » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx