gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:15:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: More power to the "Power Mower"!  (Read 13457 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« on: January 22, 2020, 03:03:43 PM »

To quote Ginger Baker, "Now this is serious!" Over the past couple of months, aeijtzsche (Joshilyn Hoisington) has been regaling us with some wonderful and wonderfully enlightening and inspirational videos. Now, my spies tell me that her computer is on the verge of giving up the ghost. It would be a crying shame if these videos were to stop. Crowdfunding could be the answer, not just for the computer but for her "Power Mower" project as a whole.

And now Joshilyn has a GoFundMe fundraiser page:

gf.me/u/xfaccv

She will tell you more when you get there.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 01:36:00 PM »

Thanks for this, JK.  Yes, it's true, my laptop is dying and I can't really produce music on it any more.

I sure would love to keep doing videos for you (and for me) so if my videos have meant anything to you, it would mean a lot to get a donation.  I promise that any donation will go directly to the recording laptop and directly result in more (and hopefully better videos.)

I don't really have anything in the can to entice you with, but here is a very very rough demo of the guitars only "In the back of my mind" recorded transcription I have been working on.  None of the tracks are finished, I'll probably do things differently when it comes time to put it all together.  You can already hear the effects of my dying laptop--the occasional sync issues, some out of tuneness that creeps in because I couldn't listen to myself and record at the same time.  But I hope you enjoy it.

Here is the clip:
https://voca.ro/iY3ohnEL6mM

Three guitars, all very differently used to great effect.  Carl's guitar on Today was often very, very minimal--almost as though he was really there to listen, but plugged his Rickenbacker in just in case anything came to mind.  Here, it is adding small touching until the very end, when it suddenly becomes the featured instrument around which the whole structure of the coda is hung.

I wish I could articulate what these videos mean to me, and what I want them to mean to others.  But it is too hard.  When I got in the Beach Boys, I immediately gravitated toward the stack-o-tracks and stack-o-vocals mixes.  Because here is what they did--they brought me to another time--closer to the people that made the records.  When you look at the personnel for a 60s Beach Boys track, often everybody but Brian has passed away.  The track mixes and then the session tape brings them back.  It allows you to become their friends as you spend hours with them.

I realize this might not be everybody's cup of tea.  But regardless of becoming friends with dead musicians, what I am trying to do with my videos is construct a way to experience and think about the music of Brian Wilson, the Beach Boys, and the clique of wrecking crewers in a way similar to how musicologists deal with the music left to us by more distantly historical composers and musicians.

With Bach, or someone much more recent like Stravinsky, say, we have the score.  We have the music they wrote in a fixed and very discretely presented way; if I want to know how Stravinsky wrote a wind octet, I just look at the score.  If I want to know what the bassoon is doing, I look at what he wrote for the bassoon to do.  This is how composers have learned about music for centuries.

But with popular music, we don't have that.  And some people who want to learn about it don't have the ability to read a score anyway.  So what I want to do is create sort of living scores.  Because this is music that is worth thinking about seriously.  And it is not just about the parts themselves.  I don't care what instrument plays the intro to Wouldn't It Be Nice because it'd just be neat to know.  (Though, of course it would be neat.) . I want to know because it reflects a number of choices and sociological conditions.  What circumstances brought Barney Kessel into the booth at Gold Star that day, and what put that particular instrument in his hand?  What prompted Brian to create that part with him?  These are questions with ramifications far beyond a simple answer like "oh, it was a Fender XII" or "oh, it was a Gibson 12-string mandolin."

And I want to make these questions alive for you, while at the same time, yes, giving you something neat to listen to.  I guarantee you that nobody has spent more time with this music in this way than I have.  And I assure you that nobody has, or will transcribe this music more accurately than I have.  I wish that were not true because it's hard and frustrating sometimes and I wish I could go up to somebody who knows the answer better than I do.

Anyway.  If any of this means something to you, please feel free to donate at the link above, or here.

gf.me/u/xfaccv

Incidentally, once I get up and running again, here's what to expect:

Complete Pet Sounds LP guitars in isolation, basses in isolation, and togther.
Select Today, Summer Days, and Smile guitar and bass isolations.
Random other guitar and bass isolations and walk-thrus.

Then we will move on to Keyboards.  I will present my transcriptions of the Beach Boys most memorable Keyboard performances, in isolation.

Once we get through that, I hope to be able to do complete production breakdowns of some stuff, including some hypothetical complete "what-if" multitracks that you could mix yourself.

Thank you so much for reading this, and for your support.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 06:46:04 AM »

I'll share the GoFundMe link on my BB Facebook page. There should be BB-themed stuff like this online. There are 37 kajillion YouTube channels doing this sort of stuff for the Beatles.

Just to throw future ideas out there; while I know the videos have plenty of 60s and early 70s material that it could focus on, I also would love to see eventually a dig into a hand full of the later 70s and even 80s tracks that, at least occasionally, had some still intricate, interesting arrangement things going on. Something tackling "Goin' On" for instance might be fun. But like I said, that's probably not high on the priority list with the dense 60s arrangement stuff to dig into.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 08:57:56 AM »

Sterling work as always, and the most worthy of endeavors.
as1972
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 09:32:20 AM »

Then we will move on to Keyboards.  I will present my transcriptions of the Beach Boys most memorable Keyboard performances, in isolation.

When you say "keyboard performances", would that include things like the synth lines on Love You?

Trying to figure out which of my organs I could sell for outtakes and live.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 02:24:04 PM »

I'll share the GoFundMe link on my BB Facebook page. There should be BB-themed stuff like this online. There are 37 kajillion YouTube channels doing this sort of stuff for the Beatles.

Just to throw future ideas out there; while I know the videos have plenty of 60s and early 70s material that it could focus on, I also would love to see eventually a dig into a hand full of the later 70s and even 80s tracks that, at least occasionally, had some still intricate, interesting arrangement things going on. Something tackling "Goin' On" for instance might be fun. But like I said, that's probably not high on the priority list with the dense 60s arrangement stuff to dig into.

Thank you!  I agree that there should be things on the internet like this!  In fact, it was the Beatles videos that inspired me to do mine.  I wanted there to be beach boys versions; there weren’t, so I made them myself.

I would love to get into later stuff.  I plan to go through every era and tell, ultimately, a long, sweeping epic tale.

Sterling work as always, and the most worthy of endeavors.

Thank you.

When you say "keyboard performances", would that include things like the synth lines on Love You?

Yes, absolutely, and in fact having a good recording computer will really enhance that because I’ll have access to powerful emulators of all the synths Brian and Friends used.  I’m very excited about showing how the way Brian used keyboards went from pounding at the piano, to something a little more subtle, to the Chickering, to his sort of clavinet/roxi phase, to the advent and then full use of modular synths.  Heck I’ll even go all the way to DX stuff in the 80s!!
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2020, 12:56:15 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEHx3aHZVAI&feature=youtu.be

Here's a little video about this.  There's some BBs music involved.

Here's another little iso clip:

https://voca.ro/mDwTw5k7fn6
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2020, 02:41:11 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEHx3aHZVAI&feature=youtu.be

Here's a little video about this.  There's some BBs music involved.

Here's another little iso clip:

https://voca.ro/mDwTw5k7fn6

Great idea, JH, and nicely done! That should stir folks into action.

And, I changed browsers and now I can listen to your "ITBOMM" and "YSBIM" clips. Wonderful stuff, particularly "ITBOMM"! It makes one hope for more before too long.

I have something to say about your fundraising campaign but I still need to find the right words. When I do, I'll post it in the Welcome thread. Wink

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2020, 04:21:59 AM »

I have something to say about your fundraising campaign but I still need to find the right words. When I do, I'll post it in the Welcome thread.

Nope. This is too important to tuck away; it needs saying here, out in the open:

You see, folks, I'm a little confused. Are there really just six people in the world who would like this series to continue? There are over 50 subscribers to Joshilyn's YouTube channel. There have been well over 10,000 views of her video-related topics on Smiley alone, to say nothing of the warm and encouraging comments along the way.

I find this hard to reconcile with the number of donations so far. For a message board with a heck of a reputation in Beach Boys Land one would expect a little more commitment from its members. If this falls through, we all stand to lose, including Joshilyn herself.

This series is literally making history. As HeyJude points out on their Facebook page (see HJ's signature) the "Power Mower" project is in all likelihood unique. In my opinion it’s the best thing that has happened to BB fandom in years. Just look at the list of goodies Joshilyn has lined up for future videos. Please don't let this golden opportunity go to waste. If the funding process stops now (despite a magnificent first donation), we'd be throwing that opportunity away, maybe for ever.

Please, folks, help push the amount raised so far into four figures--that would be a wonderful start.

It would be a tragedy if JH's "Power Mower" project were to be allowed to founder, particularly when we can do something about it now. Let's face it--we may never see its like again.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 04:52:55 AM by JK » Logged

Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2020, 05:48:41 AM »

I tried to donate, but it appears that GoFundMe does not accept my card.

Would it be of help to subscribe instead to Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/joshilyn), which accepts paypal?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 06:41:50 AM by Wata » Logged
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2020, 12:37:57 PM »

Would it be of help to subscribe instead to Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/joshilyn), which accepts paypal?

Certainly, if you feel moved to contribute to the patreon, I would be grateful, and that would go toward the recording setup.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2020, 01:23:45 PM »

I have something to say about your fundraising campaign but I still need to find the right words. When I do, I'll post it in the Welcome thread.

Nope. This is too important to tuck away; it needs saying here, out in the open:

You see, folks, I'm a little confused. Are there really just six people in the world who would like this series to continue? There are over 50 subscribers to Joshilyn's YouTube channel. There have been well over 10,000 views of her video-related topics on Smiley alone, to say nothing of the warm and encouraging comments along the way.

I find this hard to reconcile with the number of donations so far. For a message board with a heck of a reputation in Beach Boys Land one would expect a little more commitment from its members. If this falls through, we all stand to lose, including Joshilyn herself.

This series is literally making history. As HeyJude points out on their Facebook page (see HJ's signature) the "Power Mower" project is in all likelihood unique. In my opinion it’s the best thing that has happened to BB fandom in years. Just look at the list of goodies Joshilyn has lined up for future videos. Please don't let this golden opportunity go to waste. If the funding process stops now (despite a magnificent first donation), we'd be throwing that opportunity away, maybe for ever.

Please, folks, help push the amount raised so far into four figures--that would be a wonderful start.

It would be a tragedy if JH's "Power Mower" project were to be allowed to founder, particularly when we can do something about it now. Let's face it--we may never see its like again.

Thank you for lobbying on my behalf, JK.  And thanks to those that have donated.

Regardless of the donation stuff, I am very interested in exploring the state of Beach Boys fandom.  Why is it that the Beatles versions of what I'm doing is so wildly popular--several channels with hundreds of thousands of subscribers, thousands of comments, massive engagement...

Are Beatles fans just...geekier?  I know, I know, these people have been doing it longer than I have, just gotta give it time.  It's just interesting how the internet works, and interesting how fandoms work.

For instance, here is a video that came out just two weeks ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAg-DYlcbhg

It is the isolated transcription performance of the percussion on the Beatles' "And I love Her."  It's done by the wonderful folks at Ably House--I love their videos.  It has 2500 views.  That is my goal for my videos.  Maybe it's the silly Beach Boys/Beatles "Competition" thing that I'm falling prey to.  But I really want to show the world how smart and brilliant the Beach Boys music is.  Frankly, the parts are often way more interesting that what was happening on Beatles records (which of course means nothing in the overall effect of the final track, necessarily.)

Anyway--just some thoughts.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2020, 04:11:55 PM »

Certainly, if you feel moved to contribute to the patreon, I would be grateful, and that would go toward the recording setup.
Great! Just subscribed  Smiley
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2020, 01:13:30 AM »

Thank you for lobbying on my behalf, JK.  And thanks to those that have donated.

Regardless of the donation stuff, I am very interested in exploring the state of Beach Boys fandom.  Why is it that the Beatles versions of what I'm doing is so wildly popular--several channels with hundreds of thousands of subscribers, thousands of comments, massive engagement...

Are Beatles fans just...geekier?  I know, I know, these people have been doing it longer than I have, just gotta give it time.  It's just interesting how the internet works, and interesting how fandoms work.

It is the isolated transcription performance of the percussion on the Beatles' "And I love Her."  It's done by the wonderful folks at Ably House--I love their videos.  It has 2500 views.  That is my goal for my videos.  Maybe it's the silly Beach Boys/Beatles "Competition" thing that I'm falling prey to.  But I really want to show the world how smart and brilliant the Beach Boys music is.  Frankly, the parts are often way more interesting that what was happening on Beatles records (which of course means nothing in the overall effect of the final track, necessarily.)

I feel you're more likely to find yourself in uncharted territory when trying to fathom out Brian's arrangements. (I experienced this myself not too long ago!) I don't get that feeling nearly so much with The Beatles (again, with all due respect).

And you're welcome, JH. There can never be too many lobbyers on behalf of your wonderful venture. I hope others are linking it like crazy all over the Internet!

PS: One major shout-out to Wata!   

UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2020, 04:15:05 AM »

The Beatles musicality has been written about virtually since they started - dissertations have been written on the topic, there are entire DVDs worth of material about it, documentaries, books...

The biggest difference between the two bands? The Beatles had a very high standard, where most songs would be a 9/10.
The Beach Boys had some higher highs, but also, many lower lows than the Beatles.

Don't be put off though, the vast amount of people listening to the bands aren't musicians and never will be.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2020, 04:07:27 PM »

The Beatles musicality has been written about virtually since they started - dissertations have been written on the topic, there are entire DVDs worth of material about it, documentaries, books...

The biggest difference between the two bands? The Beatles had a very high standard, where most songs would be a 9/10.
The Beach Boys had some higher highs, but also, many lower lows than the Beatles.

Don't be put off though, the vast amount of people listening to the bands aren't musicians and never will be.

I don't agree, but I also think you don't need be a practising musician to appreciate what aeijtzsche is doing. A love of music is enough--and an enquiring mind.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2020, 04:32:31 PM »

I don't agree, but I also think you don't need be a practising musician to appreciate what aeijtzsche is doing. A love of music is enough--and an enquiring mind.

True. I don't think my father has touched an instrument in his life and I showed him the Sloop John B guitar video, and he was blown away -- he loves that kind of breakdown, watches Brian Wilson/Beatles/Bob Dylan documentaries, etc. While I do think musicians would find this interesting on a deeper musical level, there is room for enquiring non-musician minds to appreciate this stuff as well.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2020, 05:33:05 PM »

*IF* that's true, surely it's because the Beach Boys had a much longer career than the Beatles?

I'm actually interested in writing a doctoral dissertation on orchestration in mid 1960s Los Angeles pop.  I'm looking for an advisor who would be down and a good stipend...
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2020, 05:35:09 PM »

True. I don't think my father has touched an instrument in his life and I showed him the Sloop John B guitar video, and he was blown away -- he loves that kind of breakdown, watches Brian Wilson/Beatles/Bob Dylan documentaries, etc. While I do think musicians would find this interesting on a deeper musical level, there is room for enquiring non-musician minds to appreciate this stuff as well.

That's cool; I'm really glad he liked it.  I really want to aim the videos at everybody--there should be stuff for music nerds to enjoy, but also content for non-musicians to like.  Sloop John B works really well for that because it is a musically interesting arrangement, but it's also just really pretty to listen to the parts.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2020, 02:42:37 AM »

*IF* that's true, surely it's because the Beach Boys had a much longer career than the Beatles?

I'm actually interested in writing a doctoral dissertation on orchestration in mid 1960s Los Angeles pop.  I'm looking for an advisor who would be down and a good stipend...

Exactly!

In a fair world, and maybe in a more enlightened country, someone with your talents would have had that stipend as a matter of course (to say nothing of the advisor). I hope it happens for you, JH.

Edit: On the subject of musicians, I noticed a pertinent remark of yours at EH. It's too relevant to your videos not to quote here:

"[That] is certainly something I'm glad to help with: preparation for performances of these works.  So many people play things 'wrong.'  And though re-interpretations can be cool, sometimes it's just better playing the original chord, or lick, or whatever."

One more good reason to keep this project afloat!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 03:08:50 AM by JK » Logged

Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2020, 04:25:43 AM »

I'm actually interested in writing a doctoral dissertation on orchestration in mid 1960s Los Angeles pop.  I'm looking for an advisor who would be down and a good stipend...

Exactly!

In a fair world, and maybe in a more enlightened country, someone with your talents would have had that stipend as a matter of course (to say nothing of the advisor). I hope it happens for you, JH.

Edit: On the subject of musicians, I noticed a pertinent remark of yours at EH. It's too relevant to your videos not to quote here:

"[That] is certainly something I'm glad to help with: preparation for performances of these works.  So many people play things 'wrong.'  And though re-interpretations can be cool, sometimes it's just better playing the original chord, or lick, or whatever."

One more good reason to keep this project afloat!

One thing that is certainly true of the Beatles vis-à-vis Beach Boys--there are a lot more Beatles tribute bands that really go for hyper accuracy in all aspects of the presentation.  Not really a culture of that for the Beach Boys.  Nevertheless, there are people that play Beach Boys covers, and I do hope to be a service to such people.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2020, 05:39:25 AM »

One thing that is certainly true of the Beatles vis-à-vis Beach Boys--there are a lot more Beatles tribute bands that really go for hyper accuracy in all aspects of the presentation.  Not really a culture of that for the Beach Boys.  Nevertheless, there are people that play Beach Boys covers, and I do hope to be a service to such people.

I'm sure you are already, JH, and even more so when your project gets back on the road!

On the subject of Beatles tribute bands, The Analogues, whom we saw recently on Dutch TV celebrating 50 years of Abbey Road, use period-correct instrumentation to get the most authentic sound possible. Most impressive they were too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGGQe3gUCsM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Analogues

UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2020, 06:15:01 AM »

A side effect of Joe Public not knowing what the Beach Boys look like ("Something to do with stripey shirts? A surfboard? Hawaiian shirts?").

"No one knew who Elvis's drummer was, but everyone knew Ringo." The same could be said for the Beach Boys, but every member.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2020, 10:36:40 AM »

A side effect of Joe Public not knowing what the Beach Boys look like ("Something to do with stripey shirts? A surfboard? Hawaiian shirts?").

"No one knew who Elvis's drummer was, but everyone knew Ringo." The same could be said for the Beach Boys, but every member.

Returning to where I suspect aeijtzsche is coming from, it's Brian's playing of the studio (add George Martin to JPG&R) that will earn The BBs a permanent place in music history, not their collective visual presence in the media--or onstage.

And I think you'll find that a good many members of Jo(e) Public are indeed aware of the existence of Brian Wilson! (But perhaps not that of B.J. Fontana.)

Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2020, 11:26:36 AM »

Returning to where I suspect aeijtzsche is coming from, it's Brian's playing of the studio (add George Martin to JPG&R) that will earn The BBs a permanent place in music history, not their collective visual presence in the media--or onstage.

And I think you'll find that a good many members of Jo(e) Public are indeed aware of the existence of Brian Wilson! (But perhaps not that of B.J. Fontana.)

That’s more or less correct; what the lack of interest in my project has gone to show me is that people, and even hardcore fans, are much more interested in the personalities in the band, collecting memorabilia, boots, talking about circumstances surrounding the music.  [EDIT- Which I should add, are all perfectly valid ways to enjoy a band.]  But few are interested in the music, per se.  To me it doesn’t matter who made the music or whether they like each other.  Heck, I love music that is literally anonymous.  If you actually like the music it shouldn’t matter if it’s Ringo, a drum machine, Dennis Wilson, Shelley Manne, or Animal off the muppets.  But I don’t think culture separates music from the people that made it.  Maybe it never has but now there’s a huge disconnect; see for example, the Grammys.  Literal non-musicians won Grammys now.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 12:32:26 PM by aeijtzsche » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx