gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:08:32 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Landlocked" LP wanted - help me complete my collection!  (Read 7289 times)
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2020, 03:43:42 PM »

So, for the past couple months, a local record shop has allowed me to scoop up all of those "collector's album" LP's, where fans had put out hard copies of the unreleased Beach Boys albums.  I now have most of them - both editions of "Smile," both editions of "Adult Child," both editions of "Califo(r)nia Feeling", "The New Album", "Merry Christmas", and the 'random unreleased tracks' comp "Carl And The Passions: Made In USA."

One problem.

No "Landlocked."

I actually asked the store today if they'd seen that come in, and they were fairly certain they had sold it (he asked "that had a tan cover, right?").  I took to eBay, where - for the first time I've seen - they DO have a "Landlocked".... in not great condition, and priced exponentially higher than it should be.  (The other albums in the series have cost me about 25 apiece.  This was well over 100.)

So, being a Beach Boys forum, I want to put feelers out - does ANYONE have a Brother Records "Landlocked" to spare?  Name a price.  If it's under 100 (including shipping), I'll buy it.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 07:42:21 PM »

uh, I think asking for bootlegs is prohibited on this forum...
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 08:19:41 AM »

So, for the past couple months, a local record shop has allowed me to scoop up all of those "collector's album" LP's, where fans had put out hard copies of the unreleased Beach Boys albums.  I now have most of them - both editions of "Smile," both editions of "Adult Child," both editions of "Califo(r)nia Feeling", "The New Album", "Merry Christmas", and the 'random unreleased tracks' comp "Carl And The Passions: Made In USA."

One problem.

No "Landlocked."

I actually asked the store today if they'd seen that come in, and they were fairly certain they had sold it (he asked "that had a tan cover, right?").  I took to eBay, where - for the first time I've seen - they DO have a "Landlocked".... in not great condition, and priced exponentially higher than it should be.  (The other albums in the series have cost me about 25 apiece.  This was well over 100.)

So, being a Beach Boys forum, I want to put feelers out - does ANYONE have a Brother Records "Landlocked" to spare?  Name a price.  If it's under 100 (including shipping), I'll buy it.

Comment:   There is no album "Landlocked."  It is a myth fabricated by the fan base.  This subject is covered in my book Recording The Beach Boys in the addendum to part one..~swd
SydBarrett
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 09:44:42 AM »

You don't have to put the word

One problem.

No "Landlocked."

Comment:   There is no album "Landlocked."  It is a myth fabricated by the fan base.  This subject is covered in my book Recording The Beach Boys in the addendum to part one..~swd

You really don't have to put the word Comment before everything you say you know
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 09:56:35 AM »

One problem.

No "Landlocked."

I believe he is looking for the bootleg Vinyl LP called Landlocked.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2020, 02:43:36 PM »

One problem.

No "Landlocked."

I believe there are at least four vinyl Smile boots, so you have two to go.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2020, 02:53:21 PM »

1983 single LP on “Brother Records”
1985 single LP on Brother
1993 triple album on colored vinyl on Vigotone
? 2003 single LP on Sea of Tunes - a vinyl copy of Unsurpassed Masters Sea of Tunes Vol 16
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2020, 04:54:03 PM »

I believe he is looking for the bootleg Vinyl LP called Landlocked.

COMMENT to Matt H:  Thanks for the clarification.  

COMMENT to TheLazenby:  There is no official Landlocked album. If you wish to add a so-called bootleg of this title to your collection, make your own. All you need to do is assemble all the songs you wish to constitute your "Landlocked" album and burn them onto a CD.

Then go to this website [>>> https://www.google.com/search?q=Landlocked,+Beach+Boy+Album,+artwork&rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS748US748&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjsr_WD_ZXnAhUBU98KHcEiCw8Q_AUoAXoECAsQAw&biw=1088&bih=534&dpr=1.25], and choose one of the "Landlocked" covers for your Landlocked CD and print the size required for a CD jewel case.

Add this self-made bootleg to complete your collection and impress your friends.

OR, send me a couple of hundred dollars and I'll make one up for you.  Cheesy   ~swd
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 06:19:30 PM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2020, 07:08:03 PM »

I have the "Landlocked" Brian, Mike, Carl, Dennis, Al LP.

1.  Loop De Loop

2. San Miguel

3. H>E>L>P> Is On The Way

4.Take A Load Off Your Feet

5.Over The Waves

6.I Just Got My Pay

7.Sound Of Free

8.Child Of Winter

9. It's About Time

10. Tears In The Morning

11. Good Time

12. Big Sur

13. Lady

14. When Girls Get Together

15 Lookin' At Tomorrow (A Welfare Song)

16. 'Til I Die

The label is Brother records-Tan cover with Indian on the horse.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2020, 08:51:37 AM »

I have the "Landlocked" Brian, Mike, Carl, Dennis, Al LP.

1.  Loop De Loop

2. San Miguel

3. H>E>L>P> Is On The Way

4.Take A Load Off Your Feet

5.Over The Waves

6.I Just Got My Pay

7.Sound Of Free

8.Child Of Winter

9. It's About Time

10. Tears In The Morning

11. Good Time

12. Big Sur

13. Lady

14. When Girls Get Together

15 Lookin' At Tomorrow (A Welfare Song)

16. 'Til I Die

The label is Brother records-Tan cover with Indian on the horse.

COMMENT to Legendary QSD:  Anyone can make up CD's or LP's these days. But that does not make them official releases, only bootlegs.

As you can see from the Discography on the websites below, or any listing of released albums by The Beach Boys, there is no "Landlocked" album. So don't be deceived. "Landlocked" is a completely made-up fabrication.

Brother Records Inc. Discography >>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brother_Records

The Beach Boys complete Discogrphy >>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beach_Boys_discography

~swd
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2020, 12:20:38 PM »

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but the sense I’m getting is that people talking about these *ancient* vinyl boots are aware that they are not actual “real” albums. Essentially, they’re vintage vinyl boot collectors, which is a pretty narrow niche I can only guess, but one nonetheless. Just like there are people that collect awful bootleg/knockoff action figures.

These are not real albums, and if one is inclined to want to listen to the material on those old vinyl LPs, there are a million ways to do it with better sound quality. I’m guessing they’re into the old vinyl as “pieces” themselves, and/or are nostalgic or reminiscing about those old vinyl LPs.

There have indeed been books published featuring old vinyl boot cover art. I find it moderately interesting. Obviously, a lot of it is awful and is like photocopied paper stuck to a blank jacket with a glue stick (or no cover art at all!), while other cover art could certainly be fascinating and creative.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2020, 07:08:57 PM »

You really don't have to put the word Comment before everything you say you know

COMMENT to SydBarrett:

You are indeed correct in pointing out that I need not preface my remarks by writing, “Comment to . . . “  And indeed, I need not make any comments, on any topic under discussion, at any time. And, of course, you need not read any of my comments.

I am saddened that the education you received evidentially did not instruct you in the proper and polite forms that communications are usually formulated, even on the Internet.

Let us use your post as a learning opportunity.  

Communications are usually started with what is called, a salutation. Examples include: Dear so and so, Greetings so and so, Hello, To Whom it May Concern, Sir, Madam, and Comment, to name a few. Even prayers have salutations, the most conspicuous in the Christian world is, “Our Father . . .”  And for Muslims it is “Allah is great.” Alternate forms of a salutation are the military salute, hand shake or just waving to someone. All cultures use salutations of one form or another.

The point is that a salutation usually directs the communication toward a person and is generally a greeting, of sort. Just as you would greet someone by saying, Hello John or Hello Mary, non-personal greetings are most politely expressed by including the persons name such as “COMMENT to SydBarrett:”.

In the case of SmileySmile discourse, the posts are placed on line by a person and although directed to the general fanbase are still the work of someone behind the letters that appear on the screen. So when answering someone’s question or statement, it seems only polite to direct any response to that person, be they real or a pseudonym. This not only respects the fact that a real live human is behind the post, but also acknowledges you are directing your writing toward that person’s inquiry or statement.

I have been posting on this website since 2005. Since then have adopted the format for the over 1300 responses I have posted to begin with a salutation of “COMMENT to (persons name)”. The body of my response is usually done in 11 point font with a valediction or closing of “~ swd” or “~ Good Listening, Stephen W. Desper”. To me the use of the tilde or “~” symbol represents frequency or sound.

As to your statement “. . . before everything you say you know”, what I say, I do in fact usually know. It would be foolish and a waste of everyone’s time to say something I don’t know. I post here because of my historical involvement with The Beach Boys, and because of that involvement feel I can lend a degree of insight on some subjects you will not find elsewhere.

However, I must say that the fanbase never cases to amaze me with all the knowledge they have over a variety of subjects. Many who post here know more than I do, but have gleaned their knowledge by way of second hand sources. Because I was there, and in some cases was the cause of some theme under discussion, I feel I can add a spin to the subject otherwise not obtainable. Therefore, I not only say I know, but in fact do know. If you have a problem with such an authoritative position, please feel free to skip over my postings.
 ~swd
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 07:20:12 PM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2020, 09:52:30 PM »

As to your statement “. . . before everything you say you know”, what I say, I do in fact usually know. It would be foolish and a waste of everyone’s time to say something I don’t know. I post here because of my historical involvement with The Beach Boys, and because of that involvement feel I can lend a degree of insight on some subjects you will not find elsewhere.

However, I must say that the fanbase never cases to amaze me with all the knowledge they have over a variety of subjects. Many who post here know more than I do, but have gleaned their knowledge by way of second hand sources. Because I was there, and in some cases was the cause of some theme under discussion, I feel I can add a spin to the subject otherwise not obtainable. Therefore, I not only say I know, but in fact do know. If you have a problem with such an authoritative position, please feel free to skip over my postings.[/size]  ~swd

Excuse me Mr. Desper, but I'm pretty sure SydBarett used "you know" merely as interjection, not to refer to things that you share from your experience/knowledge.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 09:55:36 PM by Wata » Logged
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2020, 04:22:06 AM »

Excuse me Mr. Desper, but I'm pretty sure SydBarett used "you know" merely as interjection, not to refer to things that you share from your experience/knowledge.

COMMENT to Wata:   Perhaps you are correct. There is no punctuation, so it's hard to tell.  ~ swd
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2020, 04:33:22 AM »

COMMENT to Wata:   Perhaps you are correct. There is no punctuation, so it's hard to tell.  ~ swd

LOL  Exactly!

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
The Old Ranger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2020, 05:15:48 PM »

EARTH to Stephen Desper: You used to be a really cool dude. What happened? Now, you radiate negativity and seem to enjoy belittling people. Your pedanticism knows no bounds. I'm disappointed in you. Catch a wave, dude!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 05:38:09 PM by The Old Ranger » Logged
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2020, 08:46:50 AM »

EARTH to Stephen Desper: You used to be a really cool dude. What happened? Now, you radiate negativity and seem to enjoy belittling people. Your pedanticism knows no bounds. I'm disappointed in you. Catch a wave, dude!

COMMENT to The Old Ranger:

Thank you for the heads-up.

My apologies to all who may feel the same.

To answer your question, for several months now I have been dealing with chronic pain due to several debilitating neurological conditions. In a scuttle to provide answers to relative topics posted here, before that will not be possible, my tolerance of some posters, who seem to me to be casting malicious aspersions directed to my person, is waning. Although physiological, the constant pain is evidently despoilling my judgment and endeavors to keep responses impersonal.

These posts, including yours and now this one, are in violation of Rule #2 and/or Rule #6 of the terms and conditions we all agreed to. I try to play by the rules, but when other posters do not, and when the moderators fail to mediate – especially when known persons are posting – the responses may become a little dicey.

This is not good.

I have reconciled my differences with the moderators and have been in communication with one of the moderators to provide the Study-Videos to fans on this website, and will continue in those discussions.  

Having said that, it is probably best that I take your assessment under advisement and find that proverbial wave elsewhere for any further postings.

God bless, and I bid you – Good Listening, ~Stephen W. Desper
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 08:55:46 AM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2020, 11:23:36 AM »

I do not write much, but I read the Smiley Smile message boards daily. It used to be when Mr. Desper posted, people read his words with high regards. Most of the comments that were left, started out with people in “Mr. Desper” to address him.

Back on 2005, people really seemed to appreciate Mr. Desper coming here to share his knowledge of the Beach Boys, a little about the Beach Boys lives and the stuff that happened behind the scenes – most of which I cannot begin to understand. I enjoy and appreciate every post he writes. I think most people enjoy is material.

Lately, people seem to feel the need to nitpick everything he does. Familiarity should not breeds contempt. People think they know him because he posts here, but that is not necessarily true for the majority of the readers here. Personally, I will always read what he writes with the respect that it deserves and the respect that HE deserves.

Mr. Desper, I wish you the best of health, and hope that if you do find it in your heart to write more on the Smiley Smile message board, please know that I will eagerly read and appreciate your posts. 
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2020, 11:28:19 AM »

I do not write much, but I read the Smiley Smile message boards daily. It used to be when Mr. Desper posted, people read his words with high regards. Most of the comments that were left, started out with people in “Mr. Desper” to address him.

Back on 2005, people really seemed to appreciate Mr. Desper coming here to share his knowledge of the Beach Boys, a little about the Beach Boys lives and the stuff that happened behind the scenes – most of which I cannot begin to understand. I enjoy and appreciate every post he writes. I think most people enjoy is material.

Lately, people seem to feel the need to nitpick everything he does. Familiarity should not breeds contempt. People think they know him because he posts here, but that is not necessarily true for the majority of the readers here. Personally, I will always read what he writes with the respect that it deserves and the respect that HE deserves.

Mr. Desper, I wish you the best of health, and hope that if you do find it in your heart to write more on the Smiley Smile message board, please know that I will eagerly read and appreciate your posts. 

+1
kennyhasbeenfound
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2020, 05:30:19 PM »

Count me in.  I enjoy Mr. Desper's posts and look forward to reading them.

"Shut up you guys"- Carl Wilson.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2020, 06:04:55 PM »

Cannot believe a poster - who thinks period usage at the end of sentences is optional - has the chutzpah to try and "chime in" and grammar police Stephen (and also missing the point and being totally incorrect in their initial assumptions).  Undecided Why? What's the bloody point? Blows my mind.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 06:06:15 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2020, 08:29:15 PM »

Cannot believe a poster - who thinks period usage at the end of sentences is optional - has the chutzpah to try and "chime in" and grammar police Stephen (and also missing the point and being totally incorrect in their initial assumptions).  Undecided Why? What's the bloody point? Blows my mind.
Well, I just worried if Mr. Desper misunderstood SydBarrett's post as an attack against his insight (which could possibly make him less comfortable about sharing it here), and pointed out it wasn't.

I absolutely meant no offense against Mr. Desper, and I'm sorry if he took it as any kind of offense.

And yes, I agree that the original poster should have used comma before the word "you know" to avoid confusion.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 11:37:12 PM by Wata » Logged
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2020, 11:28:49 PM »

We are extremely fortunate to have Stephen Desper posting on this board, freely giving his time to share information, experiences and insights from a firsthand perspective. I'm incredulous that he has to put up with inane comments like some of those posted in this thread.

Steve, please know that I appreciate your posts and have gained a much deeper understanding of what transpired during your tenure with the band, which also happens to be my overall favorite period of Beach Boys recorded music.

The Old Ranger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2020, 12:57:21 AM »

To Mr. Stephen Desper: Your candid and openly honest reply to me was quite illuminating and perspective changing. I feel for you in regard to your health problems and understand the complications they can thrust into your life. I hope you find relief. I will propose a deal with you: I will be the one to go away, you need to stay. A lot of people will miss you terribly and I, honestly, will be one of them. Please don't let a curmudgeonly old man run you off. This site needs you more than it needs me. If I find the proverbial wave, grab your board and shoulder hop with me. PEACE!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 04:09:43 PM by The Old Ranger » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2020, 10:53:55 AM »

These two posts are unnecessary and uncalled for, and moving forward this will not be tolerated if directed at other board members, specifically Stephen who actually *worked with The Beach Boys*.

All I can say is: Seriously?

Maybe either one of you could send us a message and explanation for why you have been members for 7-8 years each, have posted less than 30 times in those years, and now chose to come out of the shadows to reply to Stephen as you did. In one case, the member has not posted a single word since 2012, yet saw fit to go after Stephen personally with absolutely no relevance to the discussion.

I've been thinking how it seems there are efforts to troll or bait Mr. Desper from members who are not regular or active members, and it will not be tolerated. The option of banning these two members is on the table and will be discussed. The reasons why this is happening may not be hard to figure out.

Moving forward, no more of this nonsense - It will not be tolerated.

As for this:

A recommendation moving forward: If someone is not involved in the matter(s) at hand between other members and posts, I'd recommend staying out of it and not speaking for or seeming to defend other members who can speak for themselves. Let the original poster reply if clarification is needed, and let the admins here sort out anything that needs sorting beyond that.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx