gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 09:07:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Original SMiLE.  (Read 13263 times)
MBE
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2006, 05:11:08 PM »

I don't buy it.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2006, 06:26:58 PM »

I don't buy it.

I want to buy it, and I have the highest degree of trust in anything Peter says...the thing that's bugging me is that if such a vote took place, why haven't we heard a single thing about it from anyone in the almost 40 years since it happened?  I really want to believe this but most substantiated proof is needed. 
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2006, 07:18:28 PM »

I don't buy it.

I want to buy it, and I have the highest degree of trust in anything Peter says...the thing that's bugging me is that if such a vote took place, why haven't we heard a single thing about it from anyone in the almost 40 years since it happened?  I really want to believe this but most substantiated proof is needed. 

Nothing was ever said about three movements in the last 40 years and we're buying it anyway.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2006, 12:39:39 AM »

History is in part the sorting of first hand evidence and anecdotal evidence. Two people have told me there was a meeting in December '66. One was there, one learned about it later.

At this point I am not ready to reveal sources. Too many people suing too many people.No one says anyone has to buy it.  As strange as it sounds, the motivation was a business decision due to needing to get an album out.

The Beach Boys did not generally take minutes of their business meetings in writing. There are a number of court records covering events from that era, but typical business meetings were not written down.

So we are going on several people's memories. They certainly are entitled to their own memories of the decisions they made together. That their memories would differ about long gone details is not surprising either. 

If it runs amuck, call the duck
MBE
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2006, 01:33:12 AM »

Peter thanks for clearing a few things up. I wasn't trying to be flippant, but it seems so odd that something so important (and less controversial then some oft repeated rumors) would go unreported so long. I remember you mentioning people telling you about Brian doing poorly in the 67-73 period who told me things totally in the other direction. So yes we do have to rely on failing or conflicting memories and also perhaps personal agendas. That's why it is so hard to sort out "truth". In my case I tend to try to make my own judgments based somewhat on what I am told, but more so on contemporary reports or archive material records, books, video, photos etc. I don't want anyone getting in trouble but I don't understand why Brian didn't stop the sessions then and there if this meeting took place the way you presented it. Of course many things that do actually happen don't make any sense. Again sorry if I came off quick to the draw but I guess I get tired of Brian having no culpability or taking no blame for decisions he made that I feel weren't the best ones. I feel I have look at both sides when it comes to the Beach Boys individual good and bad traits or actions. That said your input and info is always welcome in my eyes.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2006, 05:08:33 AM »

Two people have told me there was a meeting in December '66. One was there, one learned about it later.

Thanks.  Interesting.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2006, 06:25:35 AM »

History is in part the sorting of first hand evidence and anecdotal evidence. Two people have told me there was a meeting in December '66. One was there, one learned about it later.

At this point I am not ready to reveal sources. Too many people suing too many people.

Those people should hire Van Dyke's lawyers. Van Dyke has told several stories to the press about the Beach Boys in 1966/67, including an episode where Mike used violence with Brian. What about Domenic? in his book, he writes about Brian being humiliated in front of the cameras.

And no one was sued. I think a simple fact such as a business meeting wouldn't be so controversial, but what do I know?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 06:35:28 AM by Dancing Bear » Logged

Peter Reum
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2006, 07:07:22 AM »

The reason Van Dyke doesn't get sued is because he's not family. This is Family Feud, and  all we need is Richard Dawson. Besides that, Van Dyke has been wise enough to sidestep the various volleys of artillery. 

With respect to Brian 67-73, Brian was essentially a man at war with himself and his family. The reason he didn't stop the sessions is because the welfare of nearly 70 people depended on HIS coming through. The reason he didn't come through is he was literally unraveling week by week.

By the end of 67, Brian was a cocaine addict with unmedicated bipolar disorder, moving toward deeper and deeper addiction and concomitant deeper and deeper depression. That's what happens to cocaine addicts with bipolar disorder. They move from manic highs and low bottoms to manic phases that feeel normal to the rest of us to lows that we can't even fathom. So as the 60s moved into the 70s, the depression got deeper and deeper.

If you don't understand that, you won't understand Brian. His illness was full blown and progressing RAPIDLY. The man had a neurochemical disorder in his brain, and addiction is a disease of the brain. The family had no clue. Marilyn did, and tried to help. Brian is a strong personality. There's a reason he is the only surviving Wilson.

The family was sunk. Their income and lifestyle was dependent on a business whose creative and business leader was deep in the throes of co-occurring unmedicated bipolar disorder and cocaine dependence. The lights were on but no one home in Brian's brain. You people are talking art, and I'm talking illness, family illness.

That Brian did what he did in the 60s in  the grip of such illness is remarkable. That he got as far as he did is a tribute to his resilience. That the family kept it all a secret for so many years is aso not surprsing. Chemical dependency is a family illness.

Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2006, 07:25:02 AM »

The reason Van Dyke doesn't get sued is because he's not family.

Then your friends shouldn't worry, they're not family. Oh wait, are we talking about Brian? In several interviews he essentially stated "They hated Smile. I didn't finish the album because they were such pricks to me". If he was gonna get sued anyway, why stop at that? Just tell the whole story and the business meeting where Smile was voted down by his brother and cousin.

MBE
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2006, 10:34:30 AM »

Perhaps I don’t get Brian, but I am not pulling my viewpoints out of the air. Ok let's say Brian was addicted to cocaine as early as 1967 (which I have never heard about him even trying at that point elsewhere-though granted that doesn't mean it's not true). Let's accept for a second that he wasn't with it past Smile.
So much says otherwise that deflates this.
1. He got so much worse when his dad died.
2. He was able to function artistically better during that 67-73 period.
3. He only really get heavy, stopped bathing, etc. 1974-5?
4. Brian told me himself that the 67-70 era was a time where the group got along well.
5. He did so much more with the group songwriting wise at least through 70-1.
6. Much more inflammatory things about Smile have been said repeatedly. Why would a business meeting of all things be this dark secret?
7. Brian may have been at the helm of Smile creatively, but he had extensive help not only from Van Dyke but also every single Beach Boy including Mike, and an array of session musicians. They all put in a lot of hours. Brian was not the sole provider for 70 people they were a team the he headed whose talents and artistic capabilities were growing daily.
8. The Beach Boys wouldn’t sue Parks because he isn’t family? Tell that to Joe Thomas, Capitol Records, and A&M etc.
9. Smiley Smile was weirder then anything recorded for Smile. Mike and Al wanted to play it safe and released She’s Going Bald??
10. He could go to Hawaii to play live in a state of full mental collapse?
11. I mentioned this before but from 1965-73 Brian played shows if and when he wanted to. From 1976-82 he was constantly out on the road. After 1977 he was in clearly worse shape then ever. With all I point out above can you deny that Brian was more in charge of what he did and how before 1973?

Let’s look at Brian before Smile, or even Pet Sounds.
1. He would get reclusive periods as early as 1963, before any drug use.
2. By 1964 he had weight gain, panic attacks, and finally a breakdown, still before any major drug use notwithstanding tentative use of pot at the end of the year.
3. He went to therapists as early as 1965, none saw ANYTHING???

Yes he was having genetically based problems and probably would have anyway, but to blame anyone but himself for what he ingested, or any decisions he made creatively is going against your point of how strong Brian was at the time .I am not saying the facts you have about him medically are wrong, I only am saying (Marilyn told me this herself) that they didn't happen overnight. I also think that yeah he and the band fell out but to me there seems to have been a period of calm and harmony at least relative to the Beach Boys. There is just so big a difference between the Brian of let's say 78-79 then 68-69. Carlin's book has people like Steve Shapiro, Kalinich, Desper, Sandler, all backing up what I am saying about Brian's relative normalcy compared to later times. I have to go with what I feel and this and so do you. I doubt we will ever agree on this but I respect your take and observations on Brian. All I ask is that you respect mine.                     
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2006, 01:25:06 AM »

Your point of view is that of a person, who, however well intended, does not understand mental illness or addictive disease. Brian was doing so called recreational drugs in 1965-marijuana, hashish, and also amphetamines. Combined with an undiagnosed bipolar condition, he was already altering his brain biochemically before he ever hit Pet Sounds. I think many people believe that Brian injured his brain ingesting LSD, but I would contend that it made an inherited proclivity for auditory hallucinations worse.

Brian was doing cocaine by fall of 1967, although I believe his growing tendency toward being out of touch was in place in the winter of 66-67. I believe he began to lose touch with reality back then. He has told me this and other people close to him this as well. Addicts are secretive, and this is something that most people don't realize. Brian hid his worst drug ingestion from the people closest to him. People that saw the worst were his friends from 67 on.

As far as what constitutes worse-he was sufficiently out of touch to lose track of Smile, and to think a photojournalist on the Wild Honey backcover photoshoot was Phil Spector. He had nervous breakdowns in March and July of 67, and was hospitalized in fall of 68 and given the diagnosis, incorrectly, of being schizophrenic. He was given first generation anti psychotics for the first time. He has told friends of mine he was never the same after that period of institutionalization.

He gave away his RIAA Awards in 1969 and dug a grave in his backyard. When Murry died, his use of cocaine went up again, and he tried to numb his grief. But in 1972 he begged the group not to make him go to Holland and jumped in a canal and tried to drown himself. He was intoxicated, and had Carl not found him, and jumped in after him,  he would have drowned. He started a business to escape the new BB contract in 69, and did everything he could to sabotage the signing, including painting his face when he was visited by the Warner Execs to see if he'd cooperate. Jasper Dailey told me he cried like a baby at the contract signing. He took the pictures and was there. Does that sound like a man who wants to be with The Beach Boys???

As for functioning better from 67-73, it is simply an earlier stage in the addictive illness. He was not medicated most of the time, and hiding the severity of his addiction from Marilyn. Carl told me that they didn't didn't realize how deep into addiction Brian was even in the Smile period, much less the later 60s and Early 70s. Brian was simply further along in his addictive illness in the later 70s, and had stopped trying to hide his addiction and his dissatisfaction with his BB life and his family life.

Your points are so general so as to be difficult to reply to but I'll try---

1) Dennis got worse when his dad died, but Brian simply felt a great deal of grief about not resolving his differences with his dad. His overall functioning did not change that appreciably until 1975. At that time his cocaine dependence had gotten back to early 70s levels.

2) Functionality is the most subjective of psychiatric determinations. In the DSM-IV, Global Affective Functioning is almost laughably subjective. I would contend that psychiatrically, Brian was far less functional in the late 60s and early 70s. I would contend that addictively, he was worse in 75 because his addictive disease had advanced much further along.

3) Weight was simply a cross addiction from the cocaine. It wasn't an indicator of anything other than a tranfer of addiction from cocaine to overeating. Similar level of addiction to the late 60s and early 70s, he simply changed from mood altering chemicals to overeating.

4) I'm sure Brian remembers good moments from the late 60s. The Friends album is a special moment for him, because when he needed help with finishing stuff on Wild Honey and Friends, the group stepped up to help him, even Murry.

5) Brian wrote songs more than anything else musically from Wild Honey on. Carl tended to co-produce, and eventually took full production reigns on with 20/20.  He did not produce as much, and when he did, he tended not to finsish what he started. A tour through the BBs archives will persuade you of this.

6) The business meetings are where the decisions were made. Those are family matters and are considered private. The only hint you get is either by going down to the LA County Courthouse and reading through the court minutes, or through a few hints when people who did attend say how brutal they got. Anyone can talk about sessions, they are recorded. The business meetings weren't until Nick Grillo came along, God bless him.

7) No one, including Van Dyke knew how Brian was going to sequence Smile, or what he wanted that well, because he couldn't articulate his vision that well. I think that is one reason the group got scared and pulled the plug.

Cool Nope, Van Dyke is well regarded by all of the BBs as a true gentleman. After all he stepped aside and got out of the way of family business disagreements.

9) Smiley Smile was not Smile. When Smile's plug got pulled, Brian went into passive aggressive mode and put out the strangest, most uncommercial album by a group in the 60s. It was Brian's way of saying "up yours" to the BBs-

10) If you've heard the tapes from Hawaii, you know they aren't suitable for release. A friend of mine saw the shows and Brian looked "strange" during both shows. The group was drugging that whole trip to Hawaii. There's a great summary of an assistant engineer talking about how loaded they ALL were in Hawaii. Brian was coming of a nervous collapse, and Hawaii was the idea to let him chill. By December he didn't recognize David Dalton and thought he was Phil Spector.

11) Brian was arguably more functional to the group in the 77-82 period as a musician if you count the simple number of appearances he made with the band compared with 67-73. I am not sure I would use that as an indicator of functioning, but one could.

Brian before Pet Sounds:

Brian was doing LSD, marijuana, amphetamines, and hashish long before Pet Sounds. His use was fairly secretive, and I don't think any of the group had a clue until much later how many mood altering chemicals he was ingesting and how frequently. Your point about Brian's mental illness and fragile emotional nature is well taken. He WAS abused physically and emotionally as a child, as was Dennis. He retreated to his room initially to avoid the beatings and became the proverbial "Lost Child" in the addicted family. Brian hid his illness from people for many years. He fooled his family, his cousin, his friends, and his fellow musicians. Peter Carlin's book makes plain that his friends, only now, in hindsight can see the damage Murry did.

Marilyn is absolutely accurate that the damage did not happen overnight. But the handsome, talented man she married was going well into the second stage of addictive illness by 1965, and by 1966, Marilyn could see the changes. When Brian cross addicted to amphetamines and then to cocaine he simply traded in a Ford Taurus stimulant for a Lincoln Continental stimulant. When Marilyn was finally somewhat successful in cutting off his cocaine sources in 1974, he again cross addicted to overeating. Then back to cocaine, then to alcohol and overeating. The maddening thing about an addict like Brian is that you may think you have him controlled by getting his sources away from him, but then he cross addicts. I think all of the people you mention have valuable perspectives to contribute. Brian Wilson is a chameleon. He will show you whatever he thinks you need in order to get his immediate needs met. Such is the nature of an abused adult from a family where there was an out of control abusive father.

There are no heroes in this saga there are no villains. Only tragic circumstances, that like Peter Carlin points out, have resolved into the sweetest possible ending such a sad story can have.

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2006, 05:36:05 AM »

You people are talking art, and I'm talking illness, family illness.

Surely all we can talk about with any certainty is the art - the music that we can hear for ourselves, just like one can appreciate the beauty of a Van Gogh before one's eyes. You may learn that Van Gogh was in a psychiatric ward when he painted the picture but to then describe the painting as the product of a psychotic mind seems to be missing the point to me. It may be a diseased mind, but we see from the painting that that mind is perceiving, feeling, and expressing more than we are capable. The aesthetic result is more than just an outpouring of psychosis. To describe Smiley Smile as a passive agressive response is similarly missing the point imo or at least affording too much importance to one (i.e. a clinical) perspective. Maybe Brian had a sabotage mentality at this point, but the result is too crafted - there is too much aesthetic consideration - for it to be a purely destructive and negative project.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 05:41:55 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Lola Jane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2006, 01:17:21 PM »

That was a beautiful post, Peter Reum.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2006, 05:24:54 PM »

If the Boys voted to dump SMiLE, then why did Brian have to nearly/did break up the group in order to dump SMiLE?   I'm afraid I'd have to see some minutes of that meeting. 

I guess equally qualified mental health professionals won't necessarily agree, especially when none have had the benefit of an in-depth professional relationship with the subject.

I think I agree with you buddhahat.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2006, 05:51:59 PM »

9) Smiley Smile was not Smile. When Smile's plug got pulled, Brian went into passive aggressive mode and put out the strangest, most uncommercial album by a group in the 60s. It was Brian's way of saying "up yours" to the BBs-
This is not the first time I've read this theory on Beach Boys' message boards. While I view Smiley Smile as a lot of things, a "screw you" from Brian is not one of them.

I suppose Brian had that side to him (don't we all at times), but that is a pretty major/significant way to seek revenge on somebody - intentionally record an album that you know will be ostracized. Would Brian do that to his brothers and family?

Along those family lines, I have often read, in relation to the SMiLE era, that Brian felt pressured to support the family, to keep the "business" going, which led to him second-guessing SMiLE. To me, to record an album that you know isn't going to sell in Smiley Smile, well, that's a total deviation from feeling the need to look out for the family's well being. Actually, that's hypocritical thinking. But I guess we can chalk that logic up to the drugs and mental illness too...

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2006, 06:22:09 PM »

Plus, I don't think the other Beach Boys would've gone along with "Smiley" if they thought Brian was trying to sabatoge them.  By the time of the "Smiley" recording sessions, "Sgt. Pepper" had been released, and the rock world was in full-on freakout mode.  So a little weirdness from the Boys wasn't necessarily seen as a bad thing, commerically speaking. 
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2006, 04:09:40 AM »

Actually, I think there was a meeting where SMiLE was voted down but it was in the Spring of '67 when Brian informed the Boys he was junking SU and other material recorded for SMiLE and the Boys objected. There seems to be what could be called an f-you involved too but the f-you wasn't Smiley. The f-you was Brian's junking SMiLE, with only his majority of one voting down the group's objections, in favor of doing Smiley.

Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2006, 06:14:48 AM »

Yeah, but the next week there was another group vote and the Boys voted down Brian's humor album and his health food album, over Brian's (and, in a surprise twist, Murry's) objections.  A Marilyn and Brian "duets" album was bandied about (apparently one track was completed, The Look of Love, and another song started, Our Happy Home) before Mike, always the source of the best ideas for Beach Boys albums, came up with the SMiley Smile album concept - "Brian, it's like Smile but it'll have humor too, a smiley smile!  The kids should really dig it the most!"  Mike took over most of the production, with an assist from Carl - listen to Mike telling Brian how he should play the organ intro to Gettin' Hungry on SOT 18.  Thank God somebody responsible like Mike was looking after the Beach Boys legacy and keeping them connected to their core audience, the ten to fifteen year olds!
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2006, 07:32:29 AM »

Yeah, but the next week there was another group vote and the Boys voted down Brian's humor album and his health food album, over Brian's (and, in a surprise twist, Murry's) objections.  A Marilyn and Brian "duets" album was bandied about (apparently one track was completed, The Look of Love, and another song started, Our Happy Home) before Mike, always the source of the best ideas for Beach Boys albums, came up with the SMiley Smile album concept - "Brian, it's like Smile but it'll have humor too, a smiley smile!  The kids should really dig it the most!"  Mike took over most of the production, with an assist from Carl - listen to Mike telling Brian how he should play the organ intro to Gettin' Hungry on SOT 18.  Thank God somebody responsible like Mike was looking after the Beach Boys legacy and keeping them connected to their core audience, the ten to fifteen year olds!

Let's see....Brian = victim....check...group = assholes...check.....must be true.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2006, 04:41:10 AM »

The intro to Gettin' Hungry scares the sh*t out of me every time I hear it. It's just so loud, especially after the peacefulness of Wind Chimes.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
MBE
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2006, 04:58:17 AM »

Peter thank for the time you put into this post. We are touching on things that are hard for any family to talk about let alone people in the public eye. It is hard to say that something as sensitive as mental illness or addiction is black and white. Yes Brian today is the best he can be considering what he has been through. Yet in the early stages of his addiction or illness I guess he "seems" more together. There was less lost at that point as far as the damage the drug use (perhaps Landy's especially) did to him.

Before I address your reply I want explain why I defend Brian and the Beach Boys from 67-73. I am tired of people saying Brian did nothing after Smile I dislike that the Beach Boys (including Brian) later used Brian's “condition” to explain why they declined from 67-73, if that is so why did they do so well overseas?  I think they all did terrible things to each other but at one time and even today there was a lot of friendship, and love. A classic dysfunctional family. I will again repeat that Desper, Fataar etc. mentioned that in the late 60s early 70s the band got along ok. Desper additionally felt it was because they were talking to each other instead of lawyers and says that he felt they got along fine until various members began living outside of LA.  I just think that for all the bickering during Pet Sounds and Smile Brian has owned up to his part in it. I just hate that his so-called supporters make him a martyr. If people hadn't of bugged Brian so much about Smile, or ignored his work of this era maybe his life would have taken a different turn. I just find that all the great things he and the Beach Boys did shouldn’t be limited to before 1967.

"Your point of view is that of a person, who, however well intended, does not understand mental illness or addictive disease"

Sadly I know of these things all too well. My best friend is a crack addict who hears voices. He has gotten worse despite treatment. I don't know Brian as anyone other then someone I interviewed once about his career and as a fan. Again I can only go on what I observe. My family has also dealt with depression that at times is quite severe. Thankfully we are all good currently but I do know what I am talking about here from first hand experience. Yet again I can only comment on Brian as to how he acted, or appeared on recordings, photos, or films.

"Brian was doing so called recreational drugs in 1965-marijuana, hashish, and also amphetamines. Combined with an undiagnosed bipolar condition, he was already altering his brain biochemically before he ever hit Pet Sounds. I think many people believe that Brian injured his brain ingesting LSD, but I would contend that it made an inherited proclivity for auditory hallucinations worse."

Agree totally

"Brian was doing cocaine by fall of 1967, although I believe his growing tendency toward being out of touch was in place in the winter of 66-67. I believe he began to lose touch with reality back then. He has told me this and other people close to him this as well. Addicts are secretive, and this is something that most people don't realize. Brian hid his worst drug ingestion from the people closest to him. People that saw the worst were his friends from 67 on."

Ok that too is fine but why would people generally push forward the date to the more mentioned 1968-9 era? I mean that doesn't diminish that he did the drug or became addicted only when. It's the motives here I question. Why bother to cover up something if it happened so soon afterwards

David Dalton's story is not exactly factual on other things, nor are his writings in general. He has things of interest to say, but like his book on the Stones the article is kind of sensationalistic. Besides we both know Brian could have been putting him on. They met again from what Dalton says. At the same time it could have happened exactly that way. We can't get in Brian's mind to find out if he was serious.

"He had nervous breakdowns in March and July of 67, and was hospitalized in fall of 68 and given the diagnosis, incorrectly, of being schizophrenic. He was given first generation anti psychotics for the first time. He has told friends of mine he was never the same after that period of institutionalization."

Ok we have dates here. Now how did you get something so exacting. Have you had access to medical reports? Now I am not asking to be sarcastic, but I am curious. Something happened in the fall of 68 for sure, but what. Carlin's book mentions it but says the facts can't be verified. Also go ahead to 1970 he is participating more and in better shape. Perhaps he had a temporary recovery? Brian said in 76 that his second breakdown was in Holland.  In 1988 he said 1971 is when he felt things start to slip. These correspond with how I see him in the late 60s early 70s. i.e. a man with problems but one who is still closer to a man in charge of his own life without crazy doctors’, conservators, Stan and Rocky etc.

He gave away his RIAA Awards in 1969 and dug a grave in his backyard.

Hal Blaine told me very clearly that the story has been misrepresented. He said basically that Brian was fine at the time. These were just presents to show how much he thought of Hal. He said Brian snuck one under a pillow for him as a surprise but took the rest home. Again he says Brian did this out of love not illness. The suicide attempts are more serious, and most agree that when Brian came home from Holland he was different. Understand though that as in poor taste as these might seem he was perhaps crying for attention or help more then seriously trying to kill himself. Again we cannot get in his head and I do see these as warning signs of what would happen later. I don’t take this lightly. Again what Brian said in 76 about Holland is a key.

"He started a business to escape the new BB contract in 69, and did everything he could to sabotage the signing, including painting his face when he was visited by the Warner Execs to see if he'd cooperate. Jasper Dailey told me he cried like a baby at the contract signing. He took the pictures and was there. Does that sound like a man who wants to be with The Beach Boys"

Your views as to why here are subjective. I still point to the 1971 “Surf’s Up incident as to when the group began to truly fall out with Brian. Desper’s book for instance details Brian’s level of activity in 1969-71 as far higher then previously reported.
Why he did the health food store was to do something for himself, but that doesn't mean it is an anti Beach Boys thing. The pictures of Brian I saw from that day don't show him crying. In one he is smiling broadly at Mike, and in the other just looks serious. I would have to see that. Not that it didn't happen again, I mean Brian had crying jags in 64 at that Euro Beer Hall and we have seen a pic of that.  Also I read this was the 1977 contract which makes a lot more sense I think. The green thing was his idea of humor, though it can be construed as a passive aggressive move. Again this is subjective.

"As for functioning better from 67-73, it is simply an earlier stage in the addictive illness. He was not medicated most of the time, and hiding the severity of his addiction from Marilyn. Carl told me that they didn't didn't realize how deep into addiction Brian was even in the Smile period, much less the later 60s and Early 70s. Brian was simply further along in his addictive illness in the later 70s, and had stopped trying to hide his addiction and his dissatisfaction with his BB life and his family life."

I am general because I don't have medical records are verifiable evidence. I can only go with what I get told or observe.

1 I think it would be stretching it to say Brian in 1970 was in any way shape or form in as bad of shape as 75.

2) Functionality is the most subjective of psychiatric determinations. In the DSM-IV, Global Affective Functioning is almost laughably subjective. I would contend that psychiatrically, Brian was far less functional in the late 60s and early 70s. I would contend that addictively, he was worse in 75 because his addictive disease had advanced much further along.

I did give examples here of how Brian was more functional 67-73, but you are right this is very subjective.

3) Weight was simply a cross addiction from the cocaine. It wasn't an indicator of anything other than a transfer of addiction from cocaine to overeating. Similar level of addiction to the late 60s and early 70s, he simply changed from mood altering chemicals to overeating.

This seems to have gone hand in hand. I think cocaine and the food addiction peaked in 74-5 and again 78-82. To me this doesn't seem to be something to separate but part of the overall decline. I am sure there were periods were one dominated over another though.

4) I'm sure Brian remembers good moments from the late 60s. The Friends album is a special moment for him, because when he needed help with finishing stuff on Wild Honey and Friends, the group stepped up to help him, even Murry.

Agreed he mentioned the teamwork as sticking out from then. Thus supporting how relations did improve at that time.

5) Brian wrote songs more than anything else musically from Wild Honey on. Carl tended to co-produce, and eventually took full production reigns on with 20/20.  He did not produce as much, and when he did, he tended not to finish what he started. A tour through the BBs archives will persuade you of this.

Not denying it I am just saying quality wise it is still what I consider his classic period artistically. Still the difference in Sunflower sonically to say Carl and The Passions is to me Brian's more active role. The stereo explosion meant that it got harder and harder to for him to make records without assistance of some sort for that reason alone.

6) The business meetings are where the decisions were made. Those are family matters and are considered private. The only hint you get is either by going down to the LA County Courthouse and reading through the court minutes, or through a few hints when people who did attend say how brutal they got. Anyone can talk about sessions, they are recorded. The business meetings weren't until Nick Grillo came along, God bless him.

Ok that is fair because I belive this is the only way to prove what went on then. Have you seen the records for yourself? Like I said earlier with the cocaine though, why move the date forward, why bother if the same dirt is being said with merely a different date attached. I still think that Brian had more say so over what he didn't or did do then Mike or anyone else. Brian would have never made Pet Sounds or Smiley Smile if he didn't push to change the music. He might have just thought fodda them, but that doesn't jibe with the Hawaii trip, the Smiley promotion, or the relative calm and harmony that seem to describe the sessions at his home studio.

7) No one, including Van Dyke knew how Brian was going to sequence Smile, or what he wanted that well, because he couldn't articulate his vision that well. I think that is one reason the group got scared and pulled the plug.

Well you are thinking along the same lines here but I would substitute Brian for the group. Though they may have shared his misgivings. Brian over the years expressed more doubt and anger about Smile then anyone else. HE lost faith in it, and after he did why would the group have any either.

Cool Nope, Van Dyke is well regarded by all of the BBs as a true gentleman. After all he stepped aside and got out of the way of family business disagreements.

Ok but all I meant here is that they have sued people outside the family. Perhaps their liking for him is why he wasn't sued.

Totally subjective. I think it sounds rushed because they just wanted something out already. I think Brian's studio and the vibe there changed directions for him and the others from an artistic viewpoint. Smiley was a seemingly harmonious project. My point is, if Mike had the power to stop Brian from doing "uncommercial" music or anything else Smiley would have bit the dust. Perhaps it’s an up yours to Capitol.

10) If you've heard the tapes from Hawaii, you know they aren't suitable for release. A friend of mine saw the shows and Brian looked "strange" during both shows. The group was drugging that whole trip to Hawaii. There's a great summary of an assistant engineer talking about how loaded they ALL were in Hawaii. Brian was coming of a nervous collapse, and Hawaii was the idea to let him chill. By December he didn't recognize David Dalton and thought he was Phil Spector.

What live shows are? All are doctored before being put out.  I like those tapes Brian is in good voice and active. Even funny. They are far out and rough, but this is why I like the stuff. It is a very different Brian then you saw in the late 70s.  Already addressed the Dalton, but I think Hawaii was to cool everyone out and yes including Brian.

11) Brian was arguably more functional to the group in the 77-82 period as a musician if you count the simple number of appearances he made with the band compared with 67-73. I am not sure I would use that as an indicator of functioning, but one could.

We talked once many years ago and you described losing your respect of the Beach Boys as a group because they trotted Brian out like a circus bear. The work Brian did, his appearance, his voice, his cleanliness even is so much worse in 78-82. I will say 77 seemed like a fairly good year but after that no way.

I also feel the work Brian did in the early 70s is from a far more healthy man than the one who did Love You. That is subjective on my part.

Brian before Pet Sounds:

“Brian was doing LSD, marijuana, amphetamines, and hashish long before Pet Sounds. His use was fairly secretive, and I don't think any of the group had a clue until much later how many mood altering chemicals he was ingesting and how frequently. Your point about Brian's mental illness and fragile emotional nature is well taken. He WAS abused physically and emotionally as a child, as was Dennis. He retreated to his room initially to avoid the beatings and became the proverbial "Lost Child" in the addicted family. Brian hid his illness from people for many years. He fooled his family, his cousin, his friends, and his fellow musicians. Peter Carlin's book makes plain that his friends, only now, in hindsight can see the damage Murry did. “

You are right on thanks for considering what I said here. One thing though I do think Murry meant well, but he sure was a major factor of his son’s later dysfunction

“Marilyn is absolutely accurate that the damage did not happen overnight. But the handsome, talented man she married was going well into the second stage of addictive illness by 1965, and by 1966, Marilyn could see the changes. When Brian cross-addicted to amphetamines and then to cocaine he simply traded in a Ford Taurus stimulant for a Lincoln Continental stimulant. When Marilyn was finally somewhat successful in cutting off his cocaine sources in 1974, he again cross-addicted to overeating. Then back to cocaine, then to alcohol and overeating. The maddening thing about an addict like Brian is that you may think you have him controlled by getting his sources away from him, but then he cross addicts. I think all of the people you mention have valuable perspectives to contribute. Brian Wilson is a chameleon. He will show you whatever he thinks you need in order to get his immediate needs met. Such is the nature of an abused adult from a family where there was an out of control abusive father.”

You are right on here too. Brian changed the second he picked up a joint.

“There are no heroes in this saga there are no villains. Only tragic circumstances, that like Peter Carlin points out, have resolved into the sweetest possible ending such a sad story can have.”

Well while we may quibble on details, I agree with your beautifully put conclusion. I suppose you wonder why I defend the Brian and Beach Boys of 67-73. I just see them as still getting along decently, and Brian still having most of his creative spark intact with none of the damage evident in 76 on. He certainly was getting into bad habits, there were plenty of warning signs but I still feel that the bottom only completely fell out after Murry died. As Carlin wrote he kept his son's grounded.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2006, 01:18:17 PM »

Wait...so MIKE LOVE PRODUCED SMILEY SMILE?! Interesting...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2006, 12:19:57 PM »

More than produced - it was almost a solo Mike album!  Why do you think "Gettin Hungry" was released as by Brian Wilson and Mike Love as a "duo" single?  (It should have read Mike Love and Brian Wilson, though)
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2006, 03:45:03 AM »

Why do you think "Gettin Hungry" was released as by Brian Wilson and Mike Love as a "duo" single?  (It should have read Mike Love and Brian Wilson, though)

So it could fail in the marketplace because they didn't want their new label to be successful, remember?  Mike's f-you to the band no doubt.

Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2006, 06:41:49 AM »

Exactly!  See Cam, we can agree on something.  Mike realized this Brother label thing was just a communist conspiracy hatched by the Vosse Posse while on drugs and wanted to sabotage it and get back to Capitol Records.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx