gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:26:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Classic Or Modern Beach Boys?  (Read 6834 times)
CarlWilsonfan101
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is my #1!

View Profile
« on: January 10, 2020, 08:00:43 AM »

Which do you prefer? For me, it's classic all the way

Carl Wilson is the best Beach Boy!

"Subconsciously, I'm very religious." - Carl Wilson
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 08:18:58 AM »

Apples and oranges...
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 08:36:53 AM »

Can we really consider the latter picture "modern"? In the grand scheme, the '70s look seems like more of an outlier.   Approximately 30 years ago, Brian basically reverted to his ~1964 hairstyle and has stuck to it ever since.  Al ditched the long hair a while back.  Mike's hair, or what's left of it, has been close-cropped since the '80s.  
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 08:37:57 AM by juggler » Logged
SBonilla
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 08:49:18 AM »

Which do you prefer? For me, it's classic all the way
If we're talking about the group's different 'looks,' I'll take '71 and '76.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 09:18:30 AM »

Yeah, I'd say even if we don't include the post-Carl/Al years of the band, I can't fathom how 1976 would be the "modern" look.

The band looked pretty awful in the late 70s and early 80s. Dennis pulled off the suave bearded look up until '78 or '79 when he often started appearing with stringy hair, sweaty, zonked, etc.

Look at those '76 pics. Carl is 29/30, Al and Brian are 34, etc. But they all look like they're in their 40s.

When Al shaved the beard in '83, he all of a sudden looked like 20 years younger.

The band has rarely looked particularly "cool"; I'd guess early era in the less dorky outfits they looked good, and the late 60s/early 70s they started to look cool once they got out of the uniforms.

But by '76 or so, they looked old, and often dressed in unflattering windbreakers and sweaters and sweatpants, matching branded jackets, etc.

In the 80s it got worse. It calmed down a bit in the later 90s I guess.

Carl veered away from some of the tackiness; sometimes opting for simple black outfits while everyone else wore loud 80s neon, etc.  

Al has looked pretty sharp on stage since rejoining with Brian, opting for simple suits instead of Hawaiian shirts and whatnot.

Other than that, it's really kind of inadvertent iconoclastic sort of poses and looks that are the only other thing that kind of came across as cool. Something like this, which is kind of accidentally pretty cool even though you also have to keep in mind he was also a total mess at the same time:

« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 09:32:58 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2020, 10:32:13 AM »

If we're talking music, the classic will always be my favorite, but gems on CATP/Holland/Surf's Up/BB85 also knock it out of the park for me too. If we're talking overall style, I'll go with the classic. At least, in that era, when they were outside of their stage uniforms they wore suits and stylish clothing. Nothing can forgive the later wardrobe of Mike Love's 70s stage attire.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2020, 12:13:12 PM »

How about Mike's stage attire in the late 60's when they played in London and he was dressed like some kind of biblical prophet or TM prophet with the white sort of jumpsuit.  I am amazed the band tolerated it.  He was out of sync with the times.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2020, 12:36:50 PM »

How about Mike's stage attire in the late 60's when they played in London and he was dressed like some kind of biblical prophet or TM prophet with the white sort of jumpsuit.  I am amazed the band tolerated it.  He was out of sync with the times.

It's really, really weird to see 1969 Mike in TM prophet type robes, singing songs like Johnny B. Goode and Surfin' USA. I mean REALLY weird.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2020, 12:40:20 PM »

Here's an odd question that this thread just made me think of:

Which members of the band have worn shorts onstage, and which haven't?

Bruce - shorts, always shorts. Awful. I would guess Bruce has now played more BBs shows with shorts than with pants! Also, Bruce must be the world record holder for most shorts worn at more gigs within a famous band, not sure this record will ever be broken. Guiness Records status here, folks.

Mike - I've for sure seen him in awful pleated shorts in some 90s shows, and probably some 80s ones too too.
Al - Definitely seen Al rock some cornball shorts in show pics from the 80s. Unsure if in other decades too.
Carl always seemed like he dressed up, much more so than his mates, in the 1980s. I can't recall ever seeing a pic of him with shorts onstage, in the 80s or in any other decade.
Brian - I feel like there was probably some show in the 80s with shorts, but honestly I can't say.
Denny - seems like he would have but I can't recall.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 12:42:00 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2020, 02:04:36 PM »

Bruce - shorts, always shorts. Awful. I would guess Bruce has now played more BBs shows with shorts than with pants! Also, Bruce must be the world record holder for most shorts worn at more gigs within a famous band, not sure this record will ever be broken. Guiness Records status here, folks.

Mike - I've for sure seen him in awful pleated shorts in some 90s shows, and probably some 80s ones too too.
Al - Definitely seen Al rock some cornball shorts in show pics from the 80s. Unsure if in other decades too.
Carl always seemed like he dressed up, much more so than his mates, in the 1980s. I can't recall ever seeing a pic of him with shorts onstage, in the 80s or in any other decade.
Brian - I feel like there was probably some show in the 80s with shorts, but honestly I can't say.

At the 1983 visit and performance at the White House (one of the final appearances of all 6 of them), both Bruce and Al are rocking short shorts.  Many photos and videos from that day are on the internet.

BTW, the Reagan Library's videos of that event are fantastic... It's fun seeing the BBs interacting with the Reagans on stage at the end...
https://youtu.be/mdXGlcwUvRA
https://youtu.be/xJyjszg_PJs

marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2020, 02:10:59 PM »

Yeah, I'd say even if we don't include the post-Carl/Al years of the band, I can't fathom how 1976 would be the "modern" look.

The band looked pretty awful in the late 70s and early 80s. Dennis pulled off the suave bearded look up until '78 or '79 when he often started appearing with stringy hair, sweaty, zonked, etc.

Look at those '76 pics. Carl is 29/30, Al and Brian are 34, etc. But they all look like they're in their 40s.

When Al shaved the beard in '83, he all of a sudden looked like 20 years younger.

The band has rarely looked particularly "cool"; I'd guess early era in the less dorky outfits they looked good, and the late 60s/early 70s they started to look cool once they got out of the uniforms.

But by '76 or so, they looked old, and often dressed in unflattering windbreakers and sweaters and sweatpants, matching branded jackets, etc.

In the 80s it got worse. It calmed down a bit in the later 90s I guess.

Carl veered away from some of the tackiness; sometimes opting for simple black outfits while everyone else wore loud 80s neon, etc.  

Al has looked pretty sharp on stage since rejoining with Brian, opting for simple suits instead of Hawaiian shirts and whatnot.

Other than that, it's really kind of inadvertent iconoclastic sort of poses and looks that are the only other thing that kind of came across as cool. Something like this, which is kind of accidentally pretty cool even though you also have to keep in mind he was also a total mess at the same time:

I would argue that in the very late 70s and particularly in 1980, Carl looked GREAT.  Better than he looked at any other time.  If you look at clips from Knebworth and other shows from that year, he looks healthy, trim, totally pulled together (as opposed to clips from say 76 or 77 where he's zonked).  Sometimes his outfits were, I dare say, cool.  I submit to you this evidence:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tpTQv1rhbo

I agree that Al looks fabulous these days.  He's really found a style that works for him.  The white, tan, or blue suits with sneakers, his casual but polished look...it really works for him.

And lastly, I love that picture of Brian, exactly because of what you say.  He clearly wasn't trying to be cool, but damn it, he is.  

marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2020, 02:12:22 PM »

Sorry, this time with working link: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tpTQv1rhbo

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2020, 02:34:08 PM »

I could be remembering this wrong, but you know that 70s/80s VHS recording of Brian gyrating around while he plays the bass? I think he was wearing shorts in that one.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
kennyhasbeenfound
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2020, 03:57:33 PM »

There's a clip of Dennis near the end of his life where he is in short shorts and no shirt from something, maybe an American Band.  I think waving at the crowd.

Definitely early 70's they looked cool, and as others have said Carl looked great in the late 70's and 80's.  Looks good in the TJ Hooker clip.

"Shut up you guys"- Carl Wilson.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2020, 04:49:43 PM »

I could be remembering this wrong, but you know that 70s/80s VHS recording of Brian gyrating around while he plays the bass? I think he was wearing shorts in that one.

That video sadly got taken down from Youtube, but you are definitely correct! I remember it.

This leaves Carl as (possibly) the only BB who never wore shorts onstage. Although I wouldn't be surprised to be proven wrong on that...

Excluding that brief Dodger game appearance in 2012, when was the last full BBs show that had Mike not wearing a hat?
And same question for Bruce?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 04:52:17 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2020, 05:29:45 PM »

I would argue that Mike has never done a full length concert without a hat since the 1960's. Maybe there's a handful of exceptions in the early 70's...but once he started sifting through various headdresses, before finally landing on the infamous baseball cap (with BEACH BOYS on it, to remind everyone what show they're at) I don't think he ever took it off!

Bruce seemed to join the hat club after C50. I've seen various photos of him without it through all decades prior. He's lost a ton of hair since then, but it's poofed up in such a way that you wouldn't notice it from the front. There's some shots from Dodger Stadium that especially reveal it.

Edit: As Seen HERE: https://www.alamy.com/mike-love-of-the-beach-boys-waves-to-the-crowd-before-the-los-angeles-dodgers-play-the-pittsburgh-pirates-on-opening-day-during-the-50th-anniversary-of-dodger-stadium-in-los-angeles-on-april-10-2012-upi-photo-phil-mccarten-image257603771.html?pv=1&stamp=2&imageid=4CFA4C47-D88E-4F09-84AB-B094E6C754B5&p=853946&n=0&orientation=0&pn=2&searchtype=0&IsFromSearch=1&srch=foo%3dbar%26st%3d0%26pn%3d2%26ps%3d100%26sortby%3d2%26resultview%3dsortbyPopular%26npgs%3d0%26qt%3dmike%2520love%2520beach%2520boys%26qt_raw%3dmike%2520love%2520beach%2520boys%26lic%3d3%26mr%3d0%26pr%3d0%26ot%3d0%26creative%3d%26ag%3d0%26hc%3d0%26pc%3d%26blackwhite%3d%26cutout%3d%26tbar%3d1%26et%3d0x000000000000000000000%26vp%3d0%26loc%3d0%26imgt%3d0%26dtfr%3d%26dtto%3d%26size%3d0xFF%26archive%3d1%26groupid%3d%26pseudoid%3d%26a%3d%26cdid%3d%26cdsrt%3d%26name%3d%26qn%3d%26apalib%3d%26apalic%3d%26lightbox%3d%26gname%3d%26gtype%3d%26xstx%3d0%26simid%3d%26saveQry%3d%26editorial%3d1%26nu%3d%26t%3d%26edoptin%3d%26customgeoip%3d%26cap%3d1%26cbstore%3d1%26vd%3d0%26lb%3d%26fi%3d2%26edrf%3d0%26ispremium%3d1%26flip%3d0%26pl%3d
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 05:35:25 PM by RubberSoul13 » Logged
Competition Clutch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2020, 07:02:47 PM »

It's really, really weird to see 1969 Mike in TM prophet type robes, singing songs like Johnny B. Goode and Surfin' USA. I mean REALLY weird.

Don't forget the context;  all sorts of people wore really weird outfits during that period.   
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2020, 08:10:50 PM »

Don't forget the context;  all sorts of people wore really weird outfits during that period.   

Totally, I get that. It's just the juxtaposition of those songs that have a very 1950s or early 1960s vibe. Those specific songs being played by Mike (and the others, but Mike most of all), dressed like that would be like John Lennon during his bed-in phase with Yoko, singing Love Me Do and Chuck Berry. Just odd, that's all.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2020, 10:47:32 PM »

They were looking OK during most of their career I think. Always trying to go with the times to a certain extent; sometimes a bit on the cheesy side, but that's part of the fun. For me the peek in terms of looks was probably Hawaii 1967.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 12:57:26 AM by phirnis » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2020, 07:58:54 AM »

I would argue that Mike has never done a full length concert without a hat since the 1960's. Maybe there's a handful of exceptions in the early 70's...but once he started sifting through various headdresses, before finally landing on the infamous baseball cap (with BEACH BOYS on it, to remind everyone what show they're at) I don't think he ever took it off!

Mike indeed has rarely gone hat-less post-late 60s. But here's one example from circa 1977/78-ish:

Obviously can't say for sure how much of the show he did without the hat; but it looks like he's purposely going hat-less as opposed to one having just fallen off or something.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2020, 08:00:22 AM »

Mike is also hat-less for at least part of the infamous 1977 UK CBS convention gig:

chrisb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2020, 03:41:58 PM »

Oddly, the clothing in the pictures of the CBS Convention, from Dark Star magazine, on this link
https://www.45worlds.com/live/listing/the-beach-boys-ballroom-grosvenor-house-hotel-park-lane-1977
are quite different to the picture above? And yes, Mike is still hatless.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 04:05:20 PM by chrisb » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2020, 05:01:20 PM »

Mike is also hat-less for at least part of the infamous 1977 UK CBS convention gig:

I just noticed the 2 cups of tea, complete with small plates... plus one glass of wine (?) and one ashtray. Maybe that quantity was in their rider? Smiley
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 05:02:01 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2020, 10:59:12 PM »

Looking at that picture and the cups etc on the stage, is there a chance that could be a rehearsal?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2020, 06:24:54 AM »

Oddly, the clothing in the pictures of the CBS Convention, from Dark Star magazine, on this link
https://www.45worlds.com/live/listing/the-beach-boys-ballroom-grosvenor-house-hotel-park-lane-1977
are quite different to the picture above? And yes, Mike is still hatless.

The newspaper pics actually match the previous color photo I posted of a hat-less Mike on stage:

So I'm guessing that it's correct; the light shirts photo is from a rehearsal, and the shots of Mike with the sweater vest are from the actual gig, and all the pics are from the same day, which would explain the hat-less Mike in both.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx