gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680783 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 12:40:49 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys In The USSR In 1978  (Read 2784 times)
vldmr_p
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: August 25, 2006, 08:14:13 AM »

Recently a movie called “A Concert which Never Happened” has been shown on Russian TV. Many Russian viewers heard for the first time about the remarkable event of the past.
This July day of 1978 could become a historical event of the Soviet era, as the day of impossible for those times “gulp of freedom”. A real open rock-concert was to take place in Leningrad city, on Palace Square, the place where nothing except military parades and May Day working people demonstrations was ever held!
Great foreign music stars were supposed to come to the USSR (‘back in the US, back in the US, back in the USSR!’) and participate in the concert - The Beach Boys (oh yessss!, Paul McCartney (sic!), Joan Baez, Carlos Santana as well as famous soviet stars - The Pesnyary, the Ariel and Alla Pugachova.
But, alas, this concert never happened. At the very moment of signing a contract in London, Soviet government, comprising of old, becoming enfeebled communists like Brezhnev, decided against the concert.

Nika Strizhak, director of the movie, remembers: 

It was unbelievable, The Beach Boys, Paul McCartney, Santana have agreed to come! At that time an average soviet music lover could only dream about it! Now it is difficult to understand it, but in the late 70-s soviet people could only buy LPs of the Beach Boys, for instance, secretly, risking to lose their jobs and paying half of their monthly salary for a chance to sing along with California Dreaming in the warmth of their homes. To see some of foreign rock or pop stars on Soviet TV was possible only once per year, on the New Year’s night…
As it was common in the USSR on those days, the date of the coming concert was announced in press, but when the concert was cancelled, nobody was informed about cancellation! So music lovers from all over the country were coming to Leningrad to see their idols unaware of the fact that this concert would never happen! On the day of the concert the Palace square was overcrowded, girls were screaming holding pictures and posters of their sex-gurus Dennis Wilson and Paul McCartney, people were shouting We Want The Beach Boys, Mac-Cart-Ney! etc.
The end of the day was frustrating. There were street riots, clashes between soviet militia and rock fans, hundreds of people were beaten and arrested. Local authorities even used fire engines to disperse the crowd…

But justice prevailed in the end! Both Santana and McCartney have already visited Russia, Macca even gave a concert on the same square, Palace Square! ‘God only knows’, but maybe one day the Beach Boys will visit Russia too?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 11:38:19 AM »

sweet story  Cheesy

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 03:39:30 AM »

Anyone who's got the near-worthless Dean Anthony book, go check out the pictures - in a couple, some of the guys are wearing the tour jackets prepared for this gig-that-never-was.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 06:08:37 AM »

I read about this show back when it was supposed to happen, and after it was cancelled, but never realized McCartney was supposed to be there! 

I think Mike and Al both wore those jackets on a coulple of TV appearances, too, like one of them at least wore it when they were interviewed by Wolfman Jack for Part 2 of a special segment on the Midnight Special that year, and I think Al also wore his on the National Cheerleader Championship show from Florida in '81.

And...I gotta say it:  wish I could be a "sex guru"!
Wilsonista
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 12:17:35 PM »

Beatles/Macca enthusiasts would do well to check out the DVD documentary of Paul's Red Square concert. Performances of the concert are interspresed with testimonials and history of the Beatles and rock music in the former Soviet Republic. And it has some great footage of Paul with both Gorbachev and Putin.

I don't know if the touring BB would be big enough to perform in Russia but I would think a Brian concert in Russia would be a seriously huge event.
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 08:25:52 PM »

Anyone who's got the near-worthless Dean Anthony book, go check out the pictures - in a couple, some of the guys are wearing the tour jackets prepared for this gig-that-never-was.

Also check out Mike's jacket in the Knebworth Concert!

Bob F.
vldmr_p
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 01:26:45 AM »

Thanks

[attachment deleted by admin]
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx