gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:42:01 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who's your favorite Beach Boy and why?  (Read 2365 times)
CarlWilsonfan101
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is my #1!

View Profile
« on: January 06, 2020, 06:10:52 PM »

Mine's Carl. Because he has the flippin' voice of an angel and his guitar playing is awesome. Who's yours?

Carl Wilson is the best Beach Boy!

"Subconsciously, I'm very religious." - Carl Wilson
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 08:18:14 PM »

Musically, always Brian because he made the magic, and gave the group the special ingredients that made the sound unique. They have done cool stuff without him, but never quite the same as with him.

In terms of the people themselves, I always had the thought that Dennis and Carl would have been the ones I would have been most likely to be  friends with in real life ... in another dimension of time and space.

I sent all of the group fan letters in 1993, and Carl was the only one who responded. I think that says a lot.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 11:34:50 PM »

Musically, always Brian because he made the magic, and gave the group the special ingredients that made the sound unique. They have done cool stuff without him, but never quite the same as with him.

In terms of the people themselves, I always had the thought that Dennis and Carl would have been the ones I would have been most likely to be  friends with in real life ... in another dimension of time and space.

I sent all of the group fan letters in 1993, and Carl was the only one who responded. I think that says a lot.
Yes it does. Carl and Brian are the only Beach Boys I have met. With Brian, it was at a book signing, and there was a rush to get people through there, so it was hard to gather much of an impression, other than he seemed lucid, coherent - not the vegetable he was often portrayed as. With Carl, it was after one of his solo shows, and he was very kind and patient - even with some rather demanding and rude fans.
If I had been around when the group started, Brian probably would have been my favorite, but by the time I became a fan, he wasn't touring with them regularly. I only saw him with the group twice - 1983 and 85. As far as the touring band, Carl was the standout - because of his vocals and guitar playing, and the way he kept it all together.
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 11:03:41 AM »

Carl.  Because he kept the band together, because he could sing the sweetest songs and also belt out rough rock n roll songs with the best of them, because by all account he was truly a kind and decent person.  I don't think I've ever heard any credible bad things about Carl.   

I also have a major soft spot for Al.  It amazes me to think about his life and what he's seen and done, and to think that after all that he's still really just a down-to-earth, normal person. 

Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 11:15:20 AM »

Marcella27, could not have said it any better.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 01:51:41 PM »

Agree, marcella27. I don't pick favorites anymore, but both Carl and Al -- great soulful voices and genuinely decent guys.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 01:52:13 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2020, 02:08:11 PM »

I'm going to go the easy, obvious route and say Brian. He made it all happen. Without him, no Beach Boys. Amazing talent, too. And dammit, you just wanna give him a hug.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2020, 03:53:00 PM »

Honestly, I like all of them for their own reasons.
Brian - because he's mad talented.  Despite his fame, he has always been a shy, humble guy.  And he has a very weird sense of humor.
Carl - because of his sweet voice.  He kept things together when no one else could or would.  From what I've heard, he was an awesome uncle to Carnie and Wendy, and was there for them during the years that Brian was under Landy's control.
Dennis - because...I mean, just look at him.  I've never heard of him being unkind to a fan, ever.  And his abilities in songwriting and producing could rival Brian's.  He was also a good uncle to Carnie and Wendy, too. 
Al - as said above, a guy who has lived a rock-n-roll life yet still manages to be salt-of-the-freakin'-earth. 
Bruce - a guy who just seems damn glad to be where he is.  A happy dude.  His voice works well within the BB harmony structure.  And he is/was an avid surfer.
Mike - fine lyricist, excellent bass voice, funny, sarcastic.  A great front man.  I have a lot more respect for him after reading his book and getting his side of the story. 

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
Seaside Woman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2020, 06:01:48 AM »

Brian. He conjured up sorcery in music. Magical sounds that never fail to comfort or energize ...

“There is in souls a sympathy with sounds:
And as the mind is pitch'd the ear is pleased
With melting airs, or martial, brisk or grave;
Some chord in unison with what we hear
Is touch'd within us, and the heart replies.”
― William Cowper

Caretaker in an aesthetic prison of my own dimension.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2020, 06:42:26 AM »

Answer to "who?": Al.
Answer to "why?": he's the best Beach Boy. 3D

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Toursiveu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2020, 07:18:25 AM »

Mike. For his humility and neverending positivity.

or

Bruce. Because he has the legs of a greek God.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 06:50:05 AM by Toursiveu » Logged
BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2020, 10:11:35 AM »

Team Bruce

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2020, 01:01:08 AM »

Brian of course - by far, even though I do appreciate the others for all their contributions. He made it all happen; also the most interesting in terms of personality for me.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx