gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:18:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson Lists His Top 10 Favorite Albums  (Read 2862 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« on: December 19, 2019, 12:41:22 PM »

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/beach-boys-brian-wilson-10-favourite-albums-list/

Surprising in a few cases.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 12:44:35 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SBonilla
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 01:03:48 PM »

I'd rather he talk about his favorite songs and the songs that influenced him during his life. That would be revealing. Although, I think he's been revealing what has appealed to him since the beginning. You have to know how to listen.
PhilSpectre
Smiley Smile Associate

May You Never Hear Surf Music ... Again

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 02:55:22 PM »

Funny how he was allowed to choose three of his own albums Grin

Surprised he didn't choose Love You over Summer Days or Wild Honey.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 03:07:02 PM »

Funny how he was allowed to choose three of his own albums Grin

Surprised he didn't choose Love You over Summer Days or Wild Honey.

I know Brian has mentioned Love You as a fave at one point, but when's the last time Brian did so? I think it was a WHILE back.

Being as that album is so ignored in his live set (and always has been, barring one or two rare exceptions on rare occasion), I kinda wonder if he hasn't been nudged a bit by those around him into keeping that album away from the spotlight. It is definitely a warts-and-all album, although I love it to death.
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 07:23:31 PM »

I'd argue that the article should have been called "Brian Wilson chooses his favorite albums...today".  Because I feel like this list would change on a daily basis.  I've heard him refer to Love You as his favorite BB album fairly recently.   
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2019, 07:30:10 PM »

Given his disinterest performing Pet Sounds at times over the last 3 years, I’m not surprised that didn’t make the cut.

And sloppy writing the story to begin with....

Numerous splits and tours later, Wilson has battled mental health issues but continues to tour Beach Boys material the world over. To celebrate the album’s 50th anniversary recently, Wilson played a series of festivals around the globe and did so to yet more sell-out crowds. As part of those anniversary celebrations, Wilson sat down with Esquire to list what he considers to be his top 10 favourite records of all time.

....that would be what album?  Wink
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 07:36:07 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2019, 11:27:45 PM »

Folks, this isn't exactly a new list.  Note the "source" at the bottom the page... an Esquire piece from October 2016.
https://www.esquireme.com/content/18194-brian-wilson%E2%80%99s-10-favourite-records

FWIW, Brian has been citing Friends, Sgt Pepper & Four Freshmen and Five Trombones as faves for decades.
Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2019, 09:36:06 AM »

Folks, this isn't exactly a new list.  Note the "source" at the bottom the page... an Esquire piece from October 2016.
https://www.esquireme.com/content/18194-brian-wilson%E2%80%99s-10-favourite-records

FWIW, Brian has been citing Friends, Sgt Pepper & Four Freshmen and Five Trombones as faves for decades.

Thank you for pointing that out. I thought I had seen this list before and wondered why it was coming up again.

I agree that it would be way more interesting to get a list of Brian's favorite songs ... other than "Be My Baby."
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2019, 11:15:40 AM »

Point 1: I posted that link because it came up on one of my homepage news feeds yesterday afternoon. Regardless of when or where it first appeared, keep in mind there are fans who were not reading this board 3 years ago, and I thought it would be an interesting discussion piece.

Feel free to post content here at any time if you think other fans or especially newer fans and members would be interested in the topic you're posting.

Obviously someone at the site who reposted it thought it was of interest in December 2019, and a news feed picked it up. If that's an issue - not saying it is - perhaps you could drop a line to the site which republished an older article?

Point 2: Brian has listed quite a few of his favorite or most influential songs through the years. Start with the book "I Am Brian Wilson" and he lists quite a few songs from his childhood to present day which he likes, or which influenced him. That's as good a place to start as any.

And it's hard to keep track with all the posts, but on this board there have been discussions related to this topic as well, with some individual songs (and artists, albums, etc) listed as favorites or ones Brian listened to regularly at various points in his life.

It's there, you just have to look for it.

And as mentioned, these lists and favorites can change weekly depending on what someone is listening too.

The past few weeks I had been on a major John Frusciante listening binge, both with the RHCP and his solo works and related interviews. Lo and behold, just last Sunday they announced John was rejoining the Peppers! So that was an odd kind of coincidence. But today I'd put some of John Frusciante's music and performances on my favorites list, whereas just back in October it was Hank Garland, and prior to that someone else. 

That's what can be cool about such lists, they always change depending on what you're listening to at the moment someone asks.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2019, 11:58:35 AM »

Another John Frusciante fan!  Grin I thought I might be the only one here. I'm also a big RHCP fan.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2019, 03:57:41 PM »

Point 1: I posted that link because it came up on one of my homepage news feeds yesterday afternoon. Regardless of when or where it first appeared, keep in mind there are fans who were not reading this board 3 years ago, and I thought it would be an interesting discussion piece.

Feel free to post content here at any time if you think other fans or especially newer fans and members would be interested in the topic you're posting.

Obviously someone at the site who reposted it thought it was of interest in December 2019, and a news feed picked it up. If that's an issue - not saying it is - perhaps you could drop a line to the site which republished an older article?

I did not and do not have a problem with anything that was posted.  But there was a comment indicating puzzlement over why the article was talking about Pet Sounds "recent" 50th anniversary, etc.   Just wanted to explain that it was "recent"... in 2016.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2019, 04:47:05 PM »

Has not BETWEEN THE BUTTONS (and, more specifically, "My Obsession") been one of Brian's long-time faves as well? I note it is also on this list.

I don't remember Brian being quite so high on SD/SN and WILD HONEY previously. FRIENDS, definitely. But these three seem to rather conspicuously build a wall around the frenzy/trauma that still seems to be in play for him regarding PET SOUNDS/SMILE.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2019, 12:45:23 PM »

He’s listed SDSN before in other interviews.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx