gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:49:28 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kesha featuring Brian Wilson & Sturgill Simpson - New Single "Resentment"  (Read 2968 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« on: December 12, 2019, 11:55:34 AM »

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/kesha-resentment-sturgill-simpson-brian-wilson-926029/

Kesha Sings With Sturgill Simpson, Brian Wilson on Heartbreaking ‘Resentment’

Pop star released a self-shot video for the song, which also features harmonies from singer-songwriter Wrabel
By Claire Shaffer

Kesha has released a new country-inspired single, “Resentment,” featuring backing vocals from Sturgill Simpson, Brian Wilson, and singer-songwriter Wrabel. The track is from her upcoming album High Road, out January 31st.

The “Resentment” visual is a simple, two-minute clip, self-shot by Kesha on her iPhone and paired with a VHS filter. It shows the pop star breaking down and confronting her inner demons in a hotel room, as the song plays over her.

“Resentment” was co-written by Kesha, Wrabel, Madi Diaz, and Jamie Floyd, and produced by John Hill. On her collaborators, Kesha said, “Brian Wilson is one of my personal musical heroes, so when he said he would collaborate with me on the recording…that moment was one of the most exciting in my career. Then add in Sturgill who I respect and admire so much, as well as my close friend the insanely talented songwriter Wrabel, and this record felt more like a dream than just another song to me.”

Kesha previously released the High Road singles “My Own Dance,” and “Raising Hell,” which featured Big Freedia. Kesha and Big Freedia performed the track at the American Music Awards in November. Simpson, meanwhile, released the rock-leaning album Sound & Fury in September.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 11:56:41 AM »

Direct link to video:  https://youtu.be/fJ2iBrXVkRY

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 02:58:17 PM »

The word “featuring” is losing some meaning these days...

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019, 07:12:25 PM »

I didn't hear Brian at all. Is something amiss on this tattered video??

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2019, 07:24:00 PM »

I think he’s on the chorus.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2019, 07:45:41 PM »

Listen to the harmony stack in the chorus, yes.

The video has that look deliberately, Kesha shot it using a phone and then sent it through the VHS filter effect to get that grainy videotape look.

Recent guest spots like Janelle Monet with Brian on "Dirty Computer" now Kesha with this track...prior to that, Katy Perry and Kasey Musgraves and others...What's refreshing is to see these younger artists in genres far removed from the Beach Boys or even rock in general having Brian guest on their tracks. If it opens up even a handful of their fans to checking out Brian's music and history, it's a positive thing.

marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2019, 01:52:18 AM »

I think he’s on the chorus.

I can't hear him at all. 
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2019, 04:56:18 AM »

Listen to the harmony stack in the chorus, yes.

The video has that look deliberately, Kesha shot it using a phone and then sent it through the VHS filter effect to get that grainy videotape look.

Recent guest spots like Janelle Monet with Brian on "Dirty Computer" now Kesha with this track...prior to that, Katy Perry and Kasey Musgraves and others...What's refreshing is to see these younger artists in genres far removed from the Beach Boys or even rock in general having Brian guest on their tracks. If it opens up even a handful of their fans to checking out Brian's music and history, it's a positive thing.

What are the Katy Perry and Kasey Musgraves guest spots?  Is the Kasey's "Guess You Had To Be There" on NPP?
Toursiveu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2019, 06:19:48 AM »

having Brian guest on their tracks. If it opens up even a handful of their fans to checking out Brian's music and history, it's a positive thing.

I guess but If you're gonna have Brian Wilson on your track, at least give him a line to sing or something. Don't bury his voice in the background.
He's the legendary Brian Wilson after all, not a glorified backup singer.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 06:21:36 AM by Toursiveu » Logged
positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2019, 08:53:05 AM »

Not saying that this is the case with everybody, but, I think in a lot of cases, we don't hear Brian because we're so used to hearing him a particular spot in the vocal stack. Kind of like the instances in the mid-70's material where we have found out he is actually there... just not where he *should* be.

I do hear him in the background vocals, personally, though.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2019, 02:38:56 PM »

Can't really hear Brian but holy crap what a song. Always thought she was underrated.
Mr. Tiger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2019, 04:06:14 AM »

Willie Stargell is there in the mix too, during the 2nd verse.

I find that if you pronounce the song title as a Frenchman would, i.e. "Resent-mau", the whole thing suddenly clicks into place, and Brian's role in it becomes much clearer.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx