gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:16:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Murry Wilson And Snow  (Read 13026 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2019, 08:27:25 PM »

Hm, today fellow Smiley Smiler said in message full "Break Away" is available in random "recoup" site (does it even make sense?). Nobody told about it when reading my reply in this thread. You'd think BBs fans would help the other BBs fan... Everybody who'd written here kept shut without pointing the link to this fan. Jolly good. But, that weird link doesn't even give access. Why not share entire song in youtube? It's the new standard now to share preview in youtube & full song in...random obscure site? Funny, nobody's even puzzled by it.
Been told it'll be in youtube at Friday. 1st they share it in obscure site, then jump to youtube. Does this jumping/ transition even make ANY sense? Again, what's difficult to share full song in youtube *at the beginning*? Preview & full "Break Away" in *single* place - youtube. Or, immediately share full song without preview. *Extremely* puzzling.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Junkstar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2019, 06:39:52 AM »

Omnivore chose to publish both Breakaway and We're Together Again before release (via private link) so music magazines/blogs could promote the release. This is fairly normal now.
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2019, 08:57:57 AM »

"thanks for the post. I hadn't heard about this EP. When I went to the Omnivore Recordings website, http://omnivorerecordings.com/shop/break-away-ep/ I did see that two of my songs, "Wilderness" and "Bless Me" are part of it. The copy on the site describing the EP has a few mistakes regarding the group Snow, but it's still great that someone cared enough to release it so many years later."

Omnivore should have talked to Rick! Would have gotten the info they lacked on these tracks. They could have done some digging on the copyright.gov website, too:

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
SBonilla
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2019, 09:19:30 AM »

"thanks for the post. I hadn't heard about this EP. When I went to the Omnivore Recordings website, http://omnivorerecordings.com/shop/break-away-ep/ I did see that two of my songs, "Wilderness" and "Bless Me" are part of it. The copy on the site describing the EP has a few mistakes regarding the group Snow, but it's still great that someone cared enough to release it so many years later."

Omnivore should have talked to Rick! Would have gotten the info they lacked on these tracks. They could have done some digging on the copyright.gov website, too:

So, Rick Henn wrote the words and music. Don Ralke was the copyright claimant. Interesting.
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2019, 09:35:42 AM »

Also interesting to see the initial copyright record for “Break Away” give sole writing credit to Reggie Dunbar (as an alias for Brian!) and the one for “We’re Together Again” giving sole writing credit to Ron Wilson.

A later copyright record for “Break Away” revises the credit to Brian (without alias).

« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 09:39:09 AM by “Big Daddy” » Logged

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
the recoup
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2019, 01:23:18 PM »

Hm, today fellow Smiley Smiler said in message full "Break Away" is available in random "recoup" site (does it even make sense?). Nobody told about it when reading my reply in this thread. You'd think BBs fans would help the other BBs fan... Everybody who'd written here kept shut without pointing the link to this fan. Jolly good. But, that weird link doesn't even give access. Why not share entire song in youtube? It's the new standard now to share preview in youtube & full song in...random obscure site? Funny, nobody's even puzzled by it.
Been told it'll be in youtube at Friday. 1st they share it in obscure site, then jump to youtube. Does this jumping/ transition even make ANY sense? Again, what's difficult to share full song in youtube *at the beginning*? Preview & full "Break Away" in *single* place - youtube. Or, immediately share full song without preview. *Extremely* puzzling.

Hi there--

My name's Joseph Kyle, and that's my website you're referring to.  Cool

This excerpt was done as a courtesy to me from Omnivore. I know I'm not a huge "name" website, but I am a HUGE Beach Boys fan. Spend some time on my site and you''ll see. I took it on because as a fan I want to share this with the world, and also because I debuted to great effect the George Faulkner Sings Murry Wilson single a few weeks before its release.

Part of the reason smaller sites get to premiere such things is to help the smaller site be not so small, and in that regard, this Murry song premiere has done quite well. It was an honor to be asked, and I'm happy to have shared such a curiosity to the world. I would never share an mp3 because that would get in the way of sales and I'm quite happy with the SoundCloud link. you should be able to purchase it now with no problems from your favorite digital retailer.

There's nothing puzzling about my love for the Beach Boys, though--ever since I was a three year old when Endless Summer came out and I discovered my brother's 8-track of it, it's been nothing but love love love from me.  (Don't get me started about how upset I was when Brian's "autobiography" came out and they stuck it to the fans with the "autograph sessions," though.)

Thank you for reading and I hope you visit us again. I'm sure to have new BB material covered when it appears.  (Been. checking this and other forums in regards to the copyright extension news--or lack thereof.)

I hope that this helps to explain a little more.  

« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 01:42:14 PM by the recoup » Logged
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2019, 04:46:11 PM »

I didn't see this link posted for the 'Bless Me' song. It's pretty groovy Sunshine Pop.

Bless Me:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruyXkv0B8Nw

Oh! 'Wilderness' is on Youtube too:

Wilderness:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t8mc5pifMs

These are both some pretty wild 60s relics for sure.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 04:50:17 PM by krabklaw » Logged

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2019, 05:05:31 PM »

Also interesting to see the initial copyright record for “Break Away” give sole writing credit to Reggie Dunbar (as an alias for Brian!) and the one for “We’re Together Again” giving sole writing credit to Ron Wilson.

A later copyright record for “Break Away” revises the credit to Brian (without alias).

Fascinating.  Is this "Bri-Mur" publishing company just for this one song, or was that use for any other songs they wrote together?

The first thing I thought of was how similar that name was to the more current "BriMel" Records.
SBonilla
« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2019, 05:34:04 PM »

So, was We're Together Again a Ron Wilson tune, originally? Did Brian co-compose it and was his name ever added to the copyright? Does anyone know  who contributed what to the song?

« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 06:27:12 PM by SBonilla » Logged
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2019, 06:44:59 PM »

So, was We're Together Again a Ron Wilson tune, originally? Did Brian co-compose it and was his name ever added to the copyright? Does anyone know  who contributed what to the song?

All of the records I can see on copyright.gov only mention Ron. Also, the BMI website repertoire.bmi.com gives sole writing credit to Ron, as does the Universal Music Publishing Group website (umusicpub.com).
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 06:51:31 PM by “Big Daddy” » Logged

“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2019, 07:21:23 PM »

Fascinating.  Is this "Bri-Mur" publishing company just for this one song, or was that use for any other songs they wrote together?

Via https://vcc.copyright.gov/browse:

COOL, COOL WATER; m Brian Wilson. 2 p. © Bri-Mur Pub. Co.; 22May69; EU116895.

SOULFUL OLD MAN SUNSHINE; w & m Rick Henn & Brian Wilson. 2 p. © Bri-Mur Pub. Co. & Signature Music; 28Oct70; EU214206.

RUN, RIVER, RUN; w & m Bill Granstaff. 2 p. © Bri-Mur Pub. Co.; 28Oct70; EU214207.

WIND RIDER; w & m Bill Granstaff. 2 p. © Bri-Mur Pub. Co.; 31Dec70; EU223513.

IT'S A NEW DAY; w & m Dennis Wilson, Daryl Dragon & Stanley Shapiro. 2 p. © Bri-Mur Pub. Co.; 12Aug71; EU273319.

BEHOLD THE NIGHT; w & m Dennis Wilson & Daryl Dragon. 1 p. © Bri-Mur Pub. Co.; 12Aug71; EU273320.

THE COLONEL'S SONG; w & m Murry Wilson. 2 p. © Bri-Mur Pub. Co.; 22Sep72; EU357835.

TAKE BACK THE TIME; w & m Murry Wilson. 2 p. © Bri-Mur Pub. Co.; 22Nov72; EU371121.

SHYIN' AWAY; w Dianne Rovell & Marilyn Wilson, w & m David Sandler. 2 p. © Bri-Mur Pub. Co.; 4Jun73; EU410623.

Getting off-topic, but does anybody happen to know who this Bill Granstaff fellow is who had the pleasure of having (at least) two songs published by Bri-Mur? (One copyrighted on the same day as “Soulful Old Man Sunshine”?)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 10:33:13 AM by “Big Daddy” » Logged

juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 23, 2019, 07:41:33 PM »

I believe that at one time at least, Bri-Mur was also publisher of "It's Like Heaven" (Brian, Diane Rovell & Rocky Pamplin; versions by American Spring & Shaun Cassidy).
SBonilla
« Reply #62 on: December 24, 2019, 06:14:00 AM »

Fascinating.  Is this "Bri-Mur" publishing company just for this one song, or was that use for any other songs they wrote together?

IT'S A NEW DAY; w & m Dennis Wilson, Daryl Dragon & Stanley Shapiro. 2 p. © Bri-Mur Pub. Co.; 12Aug71; EU273319.

Maybe it was an oversight, but because (Wouldn't It Be Nice) To Live Again wasn't copyrighted with Stanley Shapiro's name on it (was it ever copyrighted?), he was able to stake his own claim for his contribution to the song. There was some quiet behind the scenes scrambling to secure his rights prior to its release.
SBonilla
« Reply #63 on: December 24, 2019, 06:24:17 AM »

RUN, RIVER, RUN; w & m Bill Granstaff. 2 p. © Bri-Mur Pub. Co.; 28Oct70; EU214207.

WIND RIDER; w & m Bill Granstaff. 2 p. © Bri-Mur Pub. Co.; 31Dec70; EU223513.

Getting off-topic, but does anybody happen to know who this Bill Granstaff fellow is who had the pleasure of having (at least) two songs published by Bri-Mur? (One copyrighted on the same day as “Soulful Old Man Sunshine”?)

Bill Granstaff *might be* William E Granstaff b 1950 in Santa Anna, CA.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 24, 2019, 02:57:03 PM »

I didn't see this link posted for the 'Bless Me' song. It's pretty groovy Sunshine Pop.

Bless Me:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruyXkv0B8Nw

Oh! 'Wilderness' is on Youtube too:

Wilderness:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t8mc5pifMs

These are both some pretty wild 60s relics for sure.

Bless me sounds very similar to Soulful Old Man Sunshine in style and instrumentation - and Wilderness a bit too.
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 24, 2019, 08:30:45 PM »

Slightly off topic:
I was listening to this on apple music and it had a link to The Many Moods Of Murry Wilson which I'd never listened to before, so i listened and the whole thing is instrumental? I always assumed it was him singing on it...was he not a singer? You'd think he'd be a good singer, just genetically since this 3 kids were all incredible singers...

Also, did he expect the Many Moods album to sell? An instrumental album? I know tastes were different back then but, still...
hapman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 24, 2019, 09:13:46 PM »

Slightly off topic:
I was listening to this on apple music and it had a link to The Many Moods Of Murry Wilson which I'd never listened to before, so i listened and the whole thing is instrumental? I always assumed it was him singing on it...was he not a singer? You'd think he'd be a good singer, just genetically since this 3 kids were all incredible singers...

Also, did he expect the Many Moods album to sell? An instrumental album? I know tastes were different back then but, still...

The only recorded example of Murry singing that I know of is the infamous Help Me Rhonda vocal session, and judging by that, it's a good thing he made an instrumental album. (Allegedly, he contributed some backing vocals on Friends, but I don't really hear them.)
Many Moods could have sold - even in the heady days of 1967 there was a market for easy listening music, since older people were buying records too. Maybe it just didn't sell because it's not a very good record.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: December 25, 2019, 12:02:44 AM »

The only recorded example of Murry singing that I know of is the infamous Help Me Rhonda vocal session, and judging by that, it's a good thing he made an instrumental album. (Allegedly, he contributed some backing vocals on Friends, but I don't really hear them.)

You can hear the deep, low note on "Be Here In The Morning", right?  "...and make my life WHOLE"? That's Murry.  Smiley
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 25, 2019, 12:26:26 AM »

On the Sunrays box set vintage rays, it has the colonels song on it, which was a jingle he wrote for Kentucky Fried Chicken with him singing, here is a link:

https://youtu.be/Jsio42ZOYnI
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx