gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:48:07 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: This Whole World ~ isolated guitars recreation video  (Read 8073 times)
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« on: December 10, 2019, 11:25:48 AM »

In honor of the surely soon to be forthcoming Feel Flows material, here it is.

I think you will be as surprised as I was to discover what Jerry Cole and David Cohen contributed to This Whole World.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrBWTRQEKgI

Jerry Cole, as you may know, was a long time regular sideman for Brian--he's gotta be up there just behind Hal, Ray, Steve, and Jay.  David Cohen only started to get work with Brian after he backed off: David Cohen's name shows up more around Friends and after, through to the early 70s.  He was not only a session ace, but also directed the educational programs at LA's Ash Grove folk music club.  His background in folk and country made him a great choice to deploy on this track, even though his contribution is pretty much completely minimized in the end as the concept of the production moved away from a country rocker and on to something a little more lush.

Hope you find it interesting!  Thanks for watching!
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 11:35:36 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 07:57:33 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
Mark H.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 11:38:15 AM »

Excellent work - all these videos have been enlightening.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 11:52:44 AM »

Absolutely amazing. Thanks for doing these! I'm sharing them with some BBs friends off this board, too.  Great work!
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 12:19:53 PM »

Excuse me while I pick my jaw up off the floor!

That is incredible!

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 12:44:34 PM »

Great job again. Never knew how much of a country sound was in this song.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2019, 12:56:47 PM »

I'm sharing them with some BBs friends off this board, too.

I've shared that Sloop John B video with at least 2 people in my real life - if I were using social media anymore I'd have shared it on my feed. These videos are so insightful - I wish I could add more than saying "thanks" - but I always look forward to reading the music aficionados posts about these videos.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2019, 01:02:33 PM »

Wow, JH. You've really been and gone and done it this time! The passage at 1:52 is simply breathtaking.

Beach Boys fans have such a lot to thank you for!

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2019, 02:30:28 PM »

Simply astounding--I think we all knew there were guitars way down in the mix but the extent of it is truly mind-boggling.

Is it possible to do something like sync up these guitar parts with the a cappella vocals for TWW that came out on the MIC set? Obviously some calibration would be needed, but  I'm guessing it would be quite a trippy listen!
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2019, 02:46:31 PM »

Simply astounding--I think we all knew there were guitars way down in the mix but the extent of it is truly mind-boggling.

Is it possible to do something like sync up these guitar parts with the a cappella vocals for TWW that came out on the MIC set? Obviously some calibration would be needed, but  I'm guessing it would be quite a trippy listen!

It's not only possible--I have done it... but, I'd be concerned about copyright implications.  I definitely do not want to upset anybody, although the way YouTube monetizes that stuff now for the publisher may make it ok.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2019, 02:53:21 PM »

Love it! Can't wait to hear the official backing track, hopefully with the faders up.

Watch out for snakes!
SBonilla
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2019, 03:23:35 PM »

Very nice. There was some similar guitar play in Breakaway, but this arrangement takes that idea further. 
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2019, 03:55:02 PM »

Very nice. There was some similar guitar play in Breakaway, but this arrangement takes that idea further. 

That's a great point.  Maybe I should do a Breakaway video!  Definitely haven't heard a good mix of that backing track though.

C-man, is there any indication who played on Breakaway?
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2019, 04:34:33 PM »

It's not only possible--I have done it... but, I'd be concerned about copyright implications.  I definitely do not want to upset anybody, although the way YouTube monetizes that stuff now for the publisher may make it ok.

This has been my experience. I have a roll-your-own mix of 'Til I Die' on my channel that has racked up 27,000 views...years ago, EMI made a claim on it and sent me a message that they'd be making money on my video - which is cool with me...better than them taking it down. Also, I think it's standard that you get a few chances of copyright infringement before your channel is taken down (ie, if your video gets taken down due to copyright claims but you continue to re-upload it, only then does it become an issue and you get strikes against your channel). However, the more likely scenario is that the record company would be happy to be making money off your video, so I doubt that would even be an issue.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
kennyhasbeenfound
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2019, 05:16:57 PM »

You are so talented!  I used to have a truck and one of the speakers was out.  Whenever I played TWW in the truck, you could actually hear some of those buried guitar parts.  I remember wishing they were more prominent.

"Shut up you guys"- Carl Wilson.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2019, 03:41:09 AM »

Well, Carl had a Fender XII at the end of '64, etc...

That's a great point.  Maybe I should do a Breakaway video!  Definitely haven't heard a good mix of that backing track though.

JH, I've roped c-man into this thread to up the chances that he sees your question. Grin

I myself couldn't find anything on the internet, except that Carl played guitar on it...

You are so talented! 

Wow, yes. That must be the thought on everyone's minds right now. Smiley

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2019, 10:00:39 AM »

This sounds just lovely. It's really like there was an entirely different song there that could have been pursued with this guitar sound as the focus.

Thanks for the cool video!

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2019, 10:28:28 AM »

Yep...the dueling electric lead guitars are David Cohen and Mike Anthony. There's an acoustic rhythm guitar in the background on the basic track, and that's most likely Carl. A second, more prominent acoustic rhythm guitar was overdubbed.
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2019, 11:47:25 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 07:56:40 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2019, 11:57:50 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 07:56:33 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2019, 12:15:38 PM »

Here's a question on the This Whole World guitars: do we think any others were added later? I've seen some mention of Carl overdubbing a 12-string, but having scrutinised it that to me just sounds like the piano.

I thought the only guitars on the final master were part of Jerry Cole's guitar, and Carl's overdubbed 12-string.
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2019, 12:18:27 PM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 07:56:25 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2019, 12:22:38 PM »

Here's a question on the This Whole World guitars: do we think any others were added later? I've seen some mention of Carl overdubbing a 12-string, but having scrutinised it that to me just sounds like the piano.

I thought the only guitars on the final master were part of Jerry Cole's guitar, and Carl's overdubbed 12-string.

David Cohen's part is still audible, just mixed low. I'm not hearing any extra 12-string though.

To me, that little chimey part right before the bridge (at 0:31) sounds like a 12-string.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2019, 12:24:42 PM »

That's a great point.  Maybe I should do a Breakaway video!  Definitely haven't heard a good mix of that backing track though.

Yep...the dueling electric lead guitars are David Cohen and Mike Anthony. There's an acoustic rhythm guitar in the background on the basic track, and that's most likely Carl. A second, more prominent acoustic rhythm guitar was overdubbed.

It never even occurred to me that there was more than one lead guitar! Any clues on who played the main overdubbed acoustic? It's a pretty unusual part, my guess wouldn't have been Carl but then I didn't even notice the subtler part he's playing underneath until now. And were the electric guitars overdubbed or live? I'm kinda confused about that listening to Unsurpassed Masters (probably not the best source but...y'know), where it sounds like the piano/guitars track was wiped out in the coda to make room for some of the backing vocals, but the electric leads are still faintly audible in the other channel containing the percussion/organ/first acoustic guitar.

David Cohen was payed for a double, so I assume the overdubbed acoustic part was him. The electric guitars were definitely live.
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2019, 12:25:17 PM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 07:56:17 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx