gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:35:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The "Old Brian Voice" on his younger recordings  (Read 5329 times)
Doobidoo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 22, 2019, 04:26:22 AM »

Hi!

On our Swedish facebook fan-page, two of us have recognized two times when the younger Brian sounded like or reminded of his older voice.

In Hawaii -67, he sounded -exactly- like he does nowadays:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtZCnThN2tQ&fbclid=IwAR348x-EEcZ2Eip1-ikLjcypeoycMAZJ2kvR20_mNY4CBrtSxn9zL_3098A
(In just the first seven words: "I've been in this town so long")

Do you guys know any other examples?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 10:47:16 AM by Doobidoo » Logged

The mysterious 'uplifting version' of 'Til I Die: Finally revealed by Custom Machine!! www.smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,26114.msg640828.html#msg640828

www.lastfm.se/user/fehyv
www.lastfm.se/user/fehyv
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 04:59:43 AM »

I think there'd be a bit more 'shout' and a touch (a lot) less vibrato in a modern version of that
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 11:15:12 AM »

Hi! "Old Brian Voice" on his younger recordings

On our Swedish facebook fan-page, two of us have recognized two times when the younger Brian sounded like or reminded of his older voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtZCnThN2tQ&fbclid=IwAR348x-EEcZ2Eip1-ikLjcypeoycMAZJ2kvR20_mNY4CBrtSxn9zL_3098A

I love threads like this.

I do hear what you're referring to on this recording. It's kinda of eerie.

I'm pretty sure I have a few other examples tucked away in my memories, but the only one that comes to mind at the moment is the "Don't Talk" a capella unused intro (wall of Brians) sounding relatively similar to the wall of Brians on "One For The Boys".  Maybe that's an easy one just because it's wordless, and not specific vocal phrasings which changed a lot over the years with his voice on actual sung words.

I'll try to think of other examples because I know I have a few.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 11:16:35 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 08:11:25 PM »

You’re so good to me has his “shouty” singing style from the 80s I’ve always thought.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2019, 08:41:09 AM »

There's that one point in "He Come Down" where he has some of that 15 Big Ones rasp. Does that count as  his"early Brian voice" period, since that's already from the early '70s?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Doobidoo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2019, 10:40:25 AM »

There's that one point in "He Come Down" where he has some of that 15 Big Ones rasp. Does that count as  his"early Brian voice" period, since that's already from the early '70s?

Hi! "Old Brian Voice" on his younger recordings

I love threads like this.

I do hear what you're referring to on this recording. It's kinda of eerie.

I'm pretty sure I have a few other examples tucked away in my memories, but the only one that comes to mind at the moment is the "Don't Talk" a capella unused intro (wall of Brians) sounding relatively similar to the wall of Brians on "One For The Boys".  Maybe that's an easy one just because it's wordless, and not specific vocal phrasings which changed a lot over the years with his voice on actual sung words.

I'll try to think of other examples because I know I have a few.

Are you guys able to pinpoint exactly where this occurs? This sounds exiting

The mysterious 'uplifting version' of 'Til I Die: Finally revealed by Custom Machine!! www.smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,26114.msg640828.html#msg640828

www.lastfm.se/user/fehyv
www.lastfm.se/user/fehyv
Doobidoo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2019, 10:46:53 AM »

The other example that was made in our group was their cover of "There's No Other Like My Baby"

You'll hear it at 0:46

www.lastfm.se/user/fehyv
www.lastfm.se/user/fehyv
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2019, 05:38:01 PM »

His voice was already noticeably changing by that point though, although if were to include that, might as well include the intro to California . He’s using his 1976 years phrasing

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2019, 08:06:24 PM »

Never thought to make a post about it, but, I've thought for a long time that Brian's demo vocal for "Break Away" sounded a lot like the stuff on the Landylocked boot.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2019, 10:02:27 PM »

Never thought to make a post about it, but, I've thought for a long time that Brian's demo vocal for "Break Away" sounded a lot like the stuff on the Landylocked boot.

I definitely hear it now that you mentioned it. Just took a listen to that demo for the first time in ages.
Nile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2019, 04:37:13 AM »

Hi!

I always thought that´s Al singing H&V??
Doobidoo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2019, 01:09:11 AM »

Hi!

I always thought that´s Al singing H&V??

According to sudsutcliffe:
"[...]trip to Hawaii in 1967, the last time Brian performed live for several years and the only occasion where he sang 'Heroes And Villains' in concert with his [immaculate] voice."

www.lastfm.se/user/fehyv
www.lastfm.se/user/fehyv
Wylson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2019, 11:41:56 AM »

I’ve always thought that Brian’s part on Cool Cool Water, “Coolin’ coolin’ coolin’ me” sounds like older Brian.
Uncle Walter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2019, 02:46:22 PM »

I always thought that the very beginning of Brian's 1966 vocal on "Wonderful" sounded a lot like his later voice in terms of timbre. Just the first few words.
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2019, 01:08:24 PM »

Verse 2 of “I’m Waiting for the Day.” He goes from 23-year-old Brian to 60-year-old Brian and back again.

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CAFeelin89
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2019, 09:10:27 PM »

Verse 2 of “I’m Waiting for the Day.” He goes from 23-year-old Brian to 60-year-old Brian and back again.

I was going to say that I read that on this board once, and it immediately came to mind. I've thought of it every time I've heard it since then.
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2019, 01:16:26 PM »

I'm assuming it's Brian singing the loud "Ho! Ho!"s on The Man With All The Toys. I hear the beginnings of the older Brian voice in those Ho!'s. I noticed it 'cause I've been listening to that song a lot lately.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx